Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Janesville , Wisconsin
Preliminary agreement to purchase !help!

This is a wonderful forum full of useful information!

My husband and I have put a small deposit on an '07 Safari SE to be picked up later this week, and we expect to pay for it in full.
Most of our previous large purchases have usually involved second hand items and private sellers, so we are naturally quite nervous about how this purchase is going to be conducted.
Our offer was accepted with no haggling, but I am worried about other fees that can be tacked on (destination charges, prep, etc.). Since this purchase is in another state, I am unknowledgeable about what we can expect as far as taxes, etc.
What should we know prior to going to the showroom?
Any and all help is appreciated.
Thank you all in advance.
marta5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Marta,
We bought a new trailer in 06, another in 07. The only thing we paid extra for (other than the agreed price for the trailer), was for a suitable hitch (drawbar and attachments) and anti-sway bar. I paid sales tax in our state (bought the trailers in AR). The second trailer was tax only when I brought the trailer home. No hidden costs, dealer prep, transportation...nada. The price was the price. If don't have a quality hitch arrangement, I suggest you buy one from the dealer. Will run apprx $535...at least mine did.
good luck, and let us know how it works out. Did I suggest pictures!!!!

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by marta5
This is a wonderful forum full of useful information!

My husband and I have put a small deposit on an '07 Safari SE to be picked up later this week, and we expect to pay for it in full.
Most of our previous large purchases have usually involved second hand items and private sellers, so we are naturally quite nervous about how this purchase is going to be conducted.
Our offer was accepted with no haggling, but I am worried about other fees that can be tacked on (destination charges, prep, etc.). Since this purchase is in another state, I am unknowledgeable about what we can expect as far as taxes, etc.
What should we know prior to going to the showroom?
Any and all help is appreciated.
Thank you all in advance.
I think you are asking the wrong party. Get on the phone to the dealer and find out exactly what you agreed to and the exact cost to tow the unit away. When you made your offer did you feel all those cost were included, in other words did you have a meeting of the minds? Depending on state you more than likely will not pay taxes until you register in your state, again you have to ask the dealer for the final number including all cost. Do you have a signed purchase agreement? You need to know the total deal.

Thanks Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:19 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Hi Marta,
Welcome to the forums! This is the place to come to for really great info. On your purchase, it is not unlike buying a new car. Please keep in mind that you are buying during a slow selling period for the dealer (fall/winter) since a lot of folks don't want to buy and then "store" their trailer for the winter. Because of this, there should be great discounts in the price. That may explain why there was no counter offer by the dealer. Did you shop around and get various prices from a few dealers? This will give you an idea of the range of discount at this time of year.
Concerning the sales tax, you will probably pay Wisconsin sales tax when you register the trailer in Wisconsin (if that is the state you plan to register it in). Some dealers who are near state lines offer a service to do the registration and collect the tax at the time of sale. I'm not sure how the 'destination" fees, if any, are applied. They may be in the sales price quoted. Again, shop the trailer between a few dealers and see how they each handle it. Knowledge is power, so if you have a week, find out as much as you can and go armed to the teeth with information. Obviously, you are starting that process by posting here for advice. Good luck! There will probably be more posts here as people read this.
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello neighbor! Welcome to the Forums. What state are you going to for the pick-up?

Unless it was revealed beforehand I sure would walk away if they try to throw down dealer prep. There's cushion in the suggested price and thus room to accept your offer -- that's where the dealer profit should rest. This has been discussed at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349...fee-13461.html and http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...prep-6833.html. I wouldn't put up with any!

Taxes are pretty simple. They'll not charge you the state sales tax but you will have to pay the Wisconsin amount in full when you license it in your home state.

I'd think there was a modest title fee when I got mine.

Congrats & welcome to the club! Secret handshake will be forwarded in an unmarked envelope. It will take all of next summer and road vibrations to reveal the full tally of items they'll have to repair on warranty. I bought out-of-state too and made the conscious decision to pull the Airstream back to the dealership to get this service done. It got me the assurance I wanted.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Janesville , Wisconsin
Thank you, Scott, for the quick reply.
Would it be possible to [PM] you off the forum?
I would like to ask some more specific
questions and would feel more comfortable:

Thank you in advance
Old 11-25-2007, 02:59 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
Hi Marta, I just purchased a 2007 classic and went to Vermont to pick it up 3 weeks ago. Definately the right time to buy an Airstream. As another here said, call them up and get the exact out the door price. I had some hitch work done when I got there, but that too was worked out beforehand, since I had a hitch set up, I onlyneede the Airstream side set up. I did need an upgraded brake controler they hit me up for 195.00 installed in my vehicle....this was the only extra cost I didn't know about. Maker them fax or e-male a sales agreement sheet. Later Jim
TROPHYJIM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:02 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
I ask what amount should be on the certified check. That is their final price.
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:35 PM   #9
_

. , .
hi marta and welcome to the forums!

i agree with jim ( 1000 posts yahoo!) and the others who suggest... CONTACT THE DEALER.

but don't 'ask', instead just make it clear that is the total figure you expect to pay.

and clear this up BEFORE the drive to the lot.

the days of 'hidden cost/prep-costs/document costs' are over at good dealerships.

you might have to pay for a temp (30 day) tag but taxes are a home state issue.

have you contacted the local dmv for sales tax and tag and registration costs?

a good dealer should install your hitch of choice and set up the brake controller as part of the purchase experience.

you obviously need to buy a hitch and controller somewhere.

great dealers will take the time to dial everything in and test drive the rig.

most will fill the lp gas bottles and include a basic rv starter kit (hose, tank stuff, slinky)

mine also filled the fridge with drinking water and provided a road atlas and flowers and other goodies.

but more important than this 'total price' issue is this....

DO NOT ACCEPT THE TRAILER IF IT DOESN'T MEET YOUR DELIVERY EXPECTATIONS.

it's our responsibility as customers to firmly expect a good product from the dealers and the company.

-it should be clean
-there shouldn't be any missing or broken bits
-there should be NO loose or shoddy trim
-all the applicances should be intact and operable
-every system should be demonstrated and operated in YOUR presence
-and that goes way beyond flicking on some lights, playing the radio and running the kitchen tap

windows, blinds, locks, outlets, drains, hvac, appliances, jacks, brakes, antenna, a/v, steps, marker lights...

check EVERYTHING!

this time a year and considering where you live the unit should get winterized before your trip home...

and if it is already winterized, that should be UNDONE so you can use/check all the plumbing systems in the lot.

or the dealer should demonstrate HOW to winterize it...

and i'd request they INSTALL an antifreeze by-pass kit before leaving.

-you should really spend at least one night at the dealership, play camping.

in fact i'd suggest NOT signing the final paperwork until the morning after sleeping on the lot.

don't be worried about losing your deposit. a salesperson (in this era) would be crazy to suggest that.

it's easy to get giddy with enthusiasm over a bright shinny new trailer, but take a breath and carefully inspect this thing.

after you sign, any un resolved problems are YOURS along with the trailer.

your greatest ability to negotiate is BEFORE it's yours.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Janesville , Wisconsin
Thank you, 2Air, you've given me lots of good information for tomorrow's conversation with the dealer. I've printed it up, armed and ready!

Old 11-25-2007, 08:12 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
We have just purchased our first AS. We negotiated the selling price. The dealer added the sales tax (same state but depending on County of residence for piggy back add-on), documentation fee (license plate), registration fee (payable to the State), hitch and brakes. There was no dealer prep fee. The other thing we needed was to swap the black microwave for the chrome to match the interior of the International - he agreed to do this. The dealership is going to store the trailer for us until we are ready to use it in the spring. They also provide 5-6 hours of training on all systems - at our convenience. The dealership has room for driving it around and backing it up on the back of his lot - this is all part of the training. Try to get as much know how from them before you leave their lot! It can't hurt. Good luck.....we'll see you down the road some day.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote