Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2014, 01:51 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
30': big shower. Beds for all. Room to get around the cook. Room to hang some clothes. Seats 4 to eat.

25': if you make a bad mistake and need to turn around you can. Better for dirt roads and Forest Service campgrounds. More than 2 people is a challenge.

When in tow eat in the trailer or Cracker Barrel. You won't be able to afford Starbucks any more anyway.

The 30 is a little easier to back. 125000 on our Dodge 2500 so far. Both trailers get about same fuel millage.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Burke , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
30': You won't be able to afford Starbucks any more anyway.
LOL! True.
ASbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The two of us live 6 months year in our 25. You will need the 30 bunk but should consider a 5th wheel with slide outs. Unless you're truly, truly "make do with what you have" types. Reading these forums you don't see it often.

Although a 30 is shorter than a 25, it is the tow vehicle wheelbase length that will determine maneuverability. We went from 140" wheelbase down to 120" wheelbase and the difference is remarkable.

A late model Suburban 2500 (3/4 ton) with 130" wheelbase and Air$tream 30 Bunkhouse coupled with a ProPride/Hensley hitch may be worth a look. Yes, the gas mileage is lousy but so is a diesel truck, especially when you consider the higher cost of diesel fuel and maintenance.

More importantly look at your budget, have an escape plan, and know what you will do when the adventure is over. All this stuff is incredibly expensive.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Amity , Oregon
We (2 of us) had a 19 Bambi and while it was great for a week or two out, it was crowded on our extended 3 month cross-country in 2011. Traded for the 25' Rear Twin in 2013 and it is perfect for us and the grandson. I would not want to travel for extended time in the 25 with 2 pre-teens though. I would think the 30 would fit your situation nicely. As murreywalker said above, PPPPP is critical for both models. We have the 2500 Ram diesel and absolutely love it. The Cummins engine can't be beat.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Motels that cater to truckers will have parking large enough. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:37 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I guess I'll ask the question...

If you have an Airstream, why park at a hotel?
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Burke , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
I guess I'll ask the question...

If you have an Airstream, why park at a hotel?
I know, excellent question. Certainly one we've mulled over. The hard part about what Airstream to get (no SOBs here) is trying to envision how we'll use it. We did a month-long "mini" version of this trip two years ago, staying at hotels exclusively. We know that will wear us quickly, and we wanted an Airstream to have a "home" on the road. However, sometimes for her work there will be meetings or events that are in cities or in more metro areas where camping just won't be an option. Also we were thinking, having really never camped before, that there might be times we'd want a break. If it's paid for, why not, right? Perhaps times when weather is an issue, or there just isn't a great park in the vicinity. I may be overstating it saying 3 nights camping, two 2 nights in hotels. Maybe we'll stay in the trailer the majority of the time. Maybe moving back and forth will get tiring. Maybe we'll love being out in nature and the Airstream experience so much, we won't ever want a "break." I secretly hope the latter is the case, but I just won't know until we get out there. Of course then it's too late, we will already be invested in a rig. Total noobies here. I welcome all input, opinions and contrary views.
ASbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:16 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
After you've had an Airstream with your own bed, bath and facilities you will hate hotels.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Each time Ive bought a trailer I've had to drive several days with each to get home and never been able (or willing to try) sleeping in them as they were either gutted or worse so I've had to park in hotel lots. It was really easy in economy hotels and in all fairness even in the nicer locations never a problem. Mine are 26' and 33' so not that different and I wouldn't say it's been much of a concern at all. That being said with the 26' whipping into the Trader Joes lot was doable, with the 33' I might need to think it through more.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I've never understood RV's of any type at a hotel.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
After you've had an Airstream with your own bed, bath and facilities you will hate hotels.
x2! We absolutely cannot stand staying in hotels. We put up with them when we have to fly some place, but we'd rather be in our AS.
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:47 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Since I have owned a travel trailer I have only stayed in hotels for business.
I took some software training in Wisconsin.
I flew there- no travel trailer-
I have been on several trips to retrieve wrecked or broken down trucks.
I was towing a car hauling trailer- no travel trailer-
Anywhere else I go- weddings, to see the grand baby, etc.- I take my small silver house with me-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I think you'll be surprised just how many camp options you'll find - I certainly was. Once you start camping, there seem to be campgrounds everywhere, even in metro areas. Before we owned our trailer we had no idea any of these existed.

Here in Toronto we have two urban campgrounds, and several within 25 miles from the downtown centre.

The Allstays Camp & RV for iOS and Android is excellent. Maps, contact details, reviews, we use it all the time. We've got young kids, so right now our daily travel distance is limited to about three hours. We use google maps to find places where we can take a break, or even stay overnight.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:11 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASbeliever View Post
John, what is the overall length of your 2500 + PP + 27FB combination? Too big for a long pull-through spot in a typical shopping center?
I started with a 22 CCD and a 2500 Suburban - they JUST fit in 2 parking spaces. The 25, NOPE. Crossways in 6 spaces at the far end of the parking lot - so as not to be rude and take premium "short walk" spaces. Also "far away" spots are a heckofalot easier to get OUT of.

Go ahead and get the 30 bunk - with 2 boys especially. Also your 2500 should be 4 wheel drive (duh!). You only need it once in a while, but when you do - oh brother! Your plans will have you moving about 5 - 6 times per month. That's not TOWING, that's BREAKDOWN, STOWING & Towing. Every time you move you have to clear the counters, put away every loose object, protect the breakables, and secure every door, drawer and cabinet. Lock the shower and refrigerator doors! Stow heavy stuff LOW, fluffy light stuff high. Flour and sugar should NEVER be carried in their original bags - unbreakable plastic with very secure lids only! Breaking down means stabilizers up, antenna down, fans closed, a/c off, water heater off, propane tanks - depends, tire pressure & lug nuts checked, etc. etc., etc.

Breaking down is the same process in a 25 as a 30, Stowing is easier when you have more places to KEEP stuff stowed in the first place (editing stuff and not carrying excess stuff is very important too).

Towing a big rig vs. a smaller one? When you're driving you want less, when you're parked you want MORE.

Paula
Old 02-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
PS - if you DON'T hate hotels, wear white socks, check in, then walk across your hotel room three or four times in your slightly sweaty white socks.

Prepare to get slightly sick.

Then take the duvet off the bed - preferably with tongs - and throw it in the corner. Next spray for bugs in under and around the bed... go to the bar for an hour while they die and the stench dissipates. When you get back - take one of the scrupulously clean towels, dampen it and wipe the crunchy bug carcasses off the bathroom floor, sink, etc.

SAFFORD RV - just south of Fredericksburg VA is only about 50 miles away from your home. GO! Looking at floor plans is a far cry from seeing them in person, sitting in them and mentally trying them on for size. Unfortunately Safford doesn't have a huge stock of Airstreams. If you want to see a really good range of models, you've got to make the Haj to Jackson Center Ohio and take the factory tour (preferably on Friday) - or go to Colonial Airstream in Lakewood NM (Northern NJ - close to Philly and NYC (Warning - if you buy from Colonial - leave their lot at 3:00 AM.... there are a lot of aggressive drivers during the day - sneak out in the wee small hours.)

Paula