Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
potential new buyer questions

We went to Southwest trailers in Irvine on Saturday and have some questions. We looked at the 27FB and 25 FB. Where do you store your outdoor stuff?
The 27 FB does not have an outside storage door. The 25 has a small one on the front curbside.
I'm thinking I don't have a place to store my BBQ grill, Beach umbrellas and the tow hitch bars. Equalizer type.

How do all of you transport your outside recreational stuff?
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:34 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1
We went to Southwest trailers in Irvine on Saturday and have some questions. We looked at the 27FB and 25 FB. Where do you store your outdoor stuff?
The 27 FB does not have an outside storage door. The 25 has a small one on the front curbside.
I'm thinking I don't have a place to store my BBQ grill, Beach umbrellas and the tow hitch bars. Equalizer type.

I have a van and all that stuff goes into the rear behind the rearmost seats. With an airstream coach riding lower to the ground than most SOB's, hatch space is limited to areas where something inside sits against the wall. For example I have a large rear hatch on my Classic. That opens to the area under the queen bed. So dependent upon your interior layout, hatch openings and the amount of storage in them will vary.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
we saw the 2008 27'FB yesterday also....there's a storage unit in the front behind where the batteries are. Not big but better than the exterior storage we have in our 2007 25'SS
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:

Storage is a problem in most travel trailers as opposed to a MH or 5th wheel that have hug storage areas. We are full timing in a 30ft classic and find there is adequate storage for personal needs, cloths, food,etc. Outside stuff must be carried somewhere else. We tow with a pickup and use it for the things you mention except hitch hardware. That we cable lock to the tongue and put it under the trailer. While many of us do, an Airstream trailer is really not designed to live in,thus the lack of storage. The advantage of course is a lower trailer, easier to enter & exit and easier to tow. If you're a person who must "take it all with you" an Airstream might not be the best choice. -----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Welcome to the Forums, subfan1! The curbside storage you mention is about enough to hold chocks, leveling blocks, the jackstand base, my hazard triangles and my battery powered drill for lowering the stabilizers.

Only the 25' FB twin bed has two more large outside storage areas -- one roadside front (small door but nearly 4' long inside) and one at front behind the battery (wide door, nearly 5' long inside). Now, many more people ask about converting twin bed Airstreams into queens and not the other way around. But I have a twin bed by choice. I keep my hoses and water equipment in the roadside compartment. In the front compartment I store a 30A extension cord, the ground mat for under the awning, the awning accessory rod, a broom, camp umbrella chairs, the weight distribution bars and there's still room left over. I carry my Road Trip grill in the truck - it hooks to the LP tanks at the front of the Safari.

Don't overlook the benefit of the larger pantry and wardrobe space on a 27' FB. I'm not going to switch though.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

Since your shopping, you might check out California RV in Fontana.

Good prices, good inventory, good service, always a smile.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
I have a 25 FB.

Heavy/bulky items go in the back of the truck.

The trailers storage area holds water hoses, tool box, outdoor mats, wheel chocks etc.

There are two storage areas under the bed in the 25. You can lift the bed while inside and you'll find larger item storage.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:09 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
25' Fb

We store things such as chairs and bbq grill in the bed of our Avalanche where we have a bed slide, so we have easy access. We also have space in the back seat that we have in a down position with a board to use as a floor for storage like the dog beds, dogs, satallite dish and tripod.

We have the twin bed model, but find plenty of storage in the AS for inside living. We can take almost everything we own. (Just kidding but it sure seems like it.)
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Less is best! I frankly look forward to leaving all of the junk behind in favor of the basic necessities the Airstream provides. It's always a refreshing change - offering a perspective free of clutter and the opportunity to awake your senses to simple pleasures.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:48 AM   #10
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Yes, the challenges, and rewards, of AirStreams! When we went from an SOB to our Excella, one thing I missed immediately was the big storage bin for my grill, chairs, etc.
But then we traded in the Suburban for the pick me up so I can put all that stuff in the truck (bikes, greasy old grill, firewood, etc). So we solved that problem.
The AS does have great interior space though; for clothing, food, refreshments.
All things in Life are a compromise.
We do not regret the AS at all, I suspect you won't either. You will learn to pack differently, and you will learn to love the AS life-style!

Bill
Old 09-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I have a 25' Classic with rear twins which seems to have more outside storage than most models. It has the rear sliding tray, a large rear trunk storage, two good size compartments ,one under each bed, accessed from the outside plus two other compartments with drop down doors as well as a flag storge compartment.The FB models seem to have the least amount of outside storage, especially the Queen bed layout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010003_305511.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	44941  
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:10 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Amen Brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
Less is best! I frankly look forward to leaving all of the junk behind in favor of the basic necessities the Airstream provides. It's always a refreshing change - offering a perspective free of clutter and the opportunity to awake your senses to simple pleasures.
I fulltime in a 25 FB and I've learned that most of the "must have" stuff simply ISN'T must have. You REALLY need two or three good knives, not a drawer full, two sets of sheets is plenty as are two extra towels. Will you really want to wear that old outfit next spring? No? Toss or donate. Do you really NEED a Jello mold in the form of a human brain? REALLY? When was the last time you actually baked a homemade angel food cake? Reality Check becomes a way of life.

BTW, Did you know a five gallon bucket with a tight lid can be a great washing machine while you're traveling? Fill with sudsy water, throw in a few unmentionables and drive 200 miles. Drain, wring cloths, refill with water. When you arrive at your destination remove cloths, wring out, and hang to dry. It isn't great for jeans or queen sheets though.

Paula
Old 09-12-2007, 09:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We carry the bulky stuff (lounge chairs, patio rug, BBQ, etc) in the pickup tow vehicle, but each time we go out we take less with us than the time before...and we try not to take anything we don't really plan to use...that makes less to pack, less weight to tow, less to unload when we get there and less to unpack when we get home...less is definietly more...and in a Bambi, you really learn to pack efficiently...though we find it has plenty of storage space for our needs and "our little dog(s), too!"...

TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:33 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Quote:

The pickup bed for the big heavy stuff is my choice.

Am I wierd or something. We have been a member here for almost a year now learning before we buy. But one thing I DO KNOW...I do not want to take ALL the things I have at home with me. I DO NOT WANT...a flat screen tv...I might get a cheap 12v/120 job for the local news just in CASE when I am in Corpus Chisty Texas and the clouds out over the ocean turn the color of mud I can turn the TV on and know when to get outta Town. I DO NOT WANT.....the upgraded sterio system.....I want piece and quiet. I want to get away....I want the A/C cause I am NOT nuts...I do not want to camp in the Desert of Southeastern Washington in August when it regularly hits 100+ without A/C. I want to sleep...eat....clean clothes...and shower too...I only want an Airsteam cause I have a desease (Aluminitus). I might not even want food if I get any damn fatter. NO damn microwave....I heat my oatmeal in a pan on the stove. Camping/boonedocking is getting away....with littel as possible....WHERE THE HELL IS MY HONDA EU6500i..its hot out.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote