Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2017, 01:13 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Having never had an Airstream before, the orientation session was daunting to say the least. Even with my wife and son observing, it was hard to absorb everything that was being demonstrated to us.

The biggest thing we missed was the weight distribution hitch set up. The dealer balanced everything to our vehicle, but when we prepared for our first outing, we couldn't remember which chain link was appropriate for the WDH. Fortunately, my wife found a picture she'd taken at the dealership that showed which link it should be adjusted to. It was this picture that saved us, so take lots of pictures during orientation as they will come in handy down the road.

BTW, I finally got smart and painted the correct chain link for our rig set up.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

san jose , California
i was at same situation a month ago. the guy at dealer was pretty helpful. we went through inside and outside by spending 1.5hours. I thought I became a master of airstream after that. a month later, I forgot most. everytime I try something new I need to check this forum and manuals. My recommendation is to take a video for major operation.
mikio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:13 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
Locate and attend an Airstream Rally. Camping with experienced Airstreamers will yield tons of information. Look at the Rally tab at the top of the page for more information.
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #24

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Glenville , New York
Congratulations!

Video tape the demonstration if they don't mind. I picked up my first Airstream last year and that video was priceless when I got it home and had to remember everything they told me. Good luck and enjoy!
Dustyrodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:43 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Sheridan , Wyoming
Congratulations on your new Airstream. We were new to Airstream, still are, and all trailers like you when we picked ours up 5 months ago. If you plan to winterize yourself then be sure to get specific information about your model and to show you where the water heater bypass valves and water pump are located as well as the access to both. If the dealer will do it for you then no worry but would still be a good idea to know. I was not aware of enough to ask during our orientation, now I know. Hope you enjoy your Airstream as much as we have, happy trails!
BigHornStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Congratulations.

I have 1 suggestion that has been something that has worked well for us.

The #1 problem you can avoid by, being 100% always on top of the situation is to NOT LOCK YOURSELF OUT OF THE TRAILER.

I recommend a lanyard for the door key, water key, and storage compartment key. If you are camping, it is around your neck, or looped through your belt loop and in your pocket. Always.

Have an extra set in the vehicle, and have your partner (if you have one) also have a set on a lanyard.
If you are a solo traveler, then consider a mounted lockbox hidden on the hitch or underside of the trailer.

Aside from that, just allow plenty of time. Have a way to keep track of things (printed or digital) , and remember that there is a you tube video of pretty much everything you may ever have a question about how to do.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:49 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Picking up new Airstream what do I need to know?

You will make mistakes as we all have .The best way to get comfortable is experience.Go overnight camping close to home.Try everything from heating to shower as well as the sewer dump black and grey water.Read your owners manual and browse this forum to gleen information. Learn to back your trailer in a large parking lot and it will pay off.Practice and more practice will make you comfortable when the time comes.The main thing and most important is to relax and enjoy.Its going to provide great adventures.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:14 PM   #28

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Amen to all of the above, plus find a large parking lot practice backing it into parking slots. Found that to be invaluable when I backed into my first camp site. Spent several hours practicing. This allowed spotter and driver work on communication and to switch roles. Now I know why.....
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:53 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
East Falmouth , Massachusetts
Check the dates on the batteries and have the dealer replace them if they're out of warranty (Usually 2 years). Also, check the water pump for excessive noise. Congratulations and good luck!
Holy Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:11 PM   #30

2017 28' International
Palmyra , Pennsylvania
Picking up new Airstream

Congratulations. Take your time. Move slowly when examining exterior and
interior. Look for any defect like small dents, sharp edges, door and drawer latches that fail to close properly. Open the awning look for small holes. Review
the window sticker line by line. Make sure all equipment listed is installed on your unit. I missed three items when picking up our 2017. I will finally receive the equipment the factory failed to install and a new awning six months after
delivery. Don't drive off the lot until you are comfortable with all trailer systems.
Best of Luck.
2nd Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:23 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Spend the first nite right there at the dealership...and use everything as if you're out camping somewhere.
You don't want to leave without seeing it all work, and having them resolve issues before you leave with it.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:35 PM   #32
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
What Boxite said.

If you can spend Night One at the dealership with the sales person's phone number handy, we'd recommend it. That's what we did when we bought both Bambi #1 and #2.

With Bambi #1, which we acquired in March, we needed to run the furnace at night, but it blew out the fuses. The dealer came over and got us a space heater from their shop. Then their mechanic fixed things first thing in the morning.

With Bambi #2, we couldn't figure out how to get most of the electronic "entertainment" systems to work. But at 8:00 am the mechanic rolled up and did another walk-through with us.

We'd recommend copious notes during your walk-through, but then try to do things with the sales person watching you. Sometimes it's hard to connect a water hose, or to plug in the power cord-- or even to remember something really simple, like how to turn on the hot water heater.

We had a nearly vertical learning curve, but like anything else, it all comes with experience and practice.

Happy trails to you.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:22 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Fresno , California
Smile Hi Fellow Newbie:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth28 View Post
Hello everyone--
I'm very excited to be picking up my 2017 16' Bambi Sport tomorrow. The salesman told me to allow 2-3 hours for our orientation session. I have never owned a travel trailer of any kind. I live on a 40-acre hobby farm and have pulled old trailers with goats and cows in them, but that's the extent of my experience. Anything I should be sure to ask about while I'm at the dealership? I'm a complete newbie. Thanks,
Elizabeth
Hi Elizabeth,

I'm new too and I'm not sure how the help will evolve, here or on the other thread I've been on, but my challenge has been POWER. We're in 2 completely different climates...you're in the cold and I'm in the blazing hot where AC, and therefore generator power, is a MUST. So to answer your question: POWER, POWER, POWER! I racked my brain trying to find a way to permanently mount a pair of Honda's to my Bambi, and it's just not a good idea. I'm disabled so I can't carry them and for other folks who can, well they are so light weight that then protecting them from theft becomes an issue. So on the other thread, after working out the kind of power to use, I've decided to embrace those nice dual tanks on the front and use them to power a single 3400 propane generator, and now I need the help with how to set all of that up! If you just plan to dock where you can plug in, great, still...it really might be a good idea to learn how to do this in case you need to. Even if you do plan to stay where there's power, cars/trucks break down and having emergency power available is never a bad idea

So I'll be asking for ramp help (again, the disability thing I can't lift and will need a nice small foldable ramp to wheel the generator on) and I need to know what to buy in the way of hoses and connectors to ensure the propane feeds the appliances on the inside as well as powers the generator, so what connectors do I need, what's the ideal length hose that's long enough to reach yet sturdy, safe, longlasting and will keep the generator close enough to the tanks but far enough from the trailer, and for that matter, what's the best cable lock to buy to hook it to the tongue of the trailer. I figure between a cable lock and the propane connection, well more is less attractive to thieves looking for a quick grab and run and with all the hoses and stuff, if someone starts tampering it, I'll have plenty of time to record video of them in action while also getting a call in to highway patrol or police (although I plan to dock mostly at rest stops where there's likely to be too much traffic to tempt anyone into thinking they'll just be able to walk off with someone's property.

Anyway, that's my power plan for now...a Champion 3400 dual fuel but I haven't a clue how to put it all together nor all the parts I'll need. My dealer was WORTHLESS and left me with no choice but to come here to ask for help from fellow Airstream owners, but my gosh aren't they beautiful?!? While it's an expensive little RV I just think of all the money I wasted renting apts when in college when I could have just owned a nice camper like this that would later serve as a guest house and a very necessary safe place to stay while making my annual trek to my Dr. who is far, far away! It will be interesting to see what you decide with regard to power!

Best and Safe Wishes!
Lauryn
barbaralarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:54 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Lauryn, I suggest you contact your local propane contractor and/or plumber to assist you in installing your propane-gen to your vehicle/trailer. They will know how to do this safely.

I agree with you, it's a shame that Airstream has not utilized all the available space in their trailers and also have not made provision for permanently-mounted gens. An example is my 22' Sport: It's bath is wonderful...unfortunately the lavatory sink/counter which stretches 2/3rds across the back of the trailer is....HOLLOW. ... a complete waste of available storage space. An access-door back there, over the rear bumper similar to the curb side storage door ...or similar to the rear end storage door on the 20' Flying Clouds would provide access to that much-needed space.

I'm certain a small generator, properly installed and plumbed could be safely installed in that location, it's weight off-set by 30 lb. LP bottles on the tongue to meet the addt'l LP needs.

Perhaps your local RV dealer or repair station can help you develop such a scenario for your AS.

Good luck. IF you do find a solution, be certain to come back to the AirForums to let us know your solution.

Hope this helps.
Kind regards
George
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #35

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
I have the Champion 3400 dual fuel. What I do is leave it in the bed of the truck against the cab and run it from there. No need for lifting and the electric start makes easy to run
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote