Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Yahoo to Kyet
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I would advise you to have them show you how to manually override and operate the electric Awning and Stabilizer jacks. And do practice runs with it while you are there.
How does one manually override the power awning?
Kyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:12 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Yahoo to Kyet
Take a shower and spend the night not plugged in to shore power to see if your batteries last the night. Wash some dishes, go to the bathroom. Run everything as if you were living in it. Most of all, take a shower, not just testing it with your hand for a minute. Congrats!!!
Kyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
1. Arrive at the dealership on Thursday or early Friday having made an appointment to do the "New AS Walkthrough & Inspection" on Friday morning or early afternoon.
2. Stay in the AS over the weekend in the dealership's lot with power & water hooked up.
3. By Monday, unless you're one in a million, you'll have a list of issues and questions that you'll want the dealership to address before you take the AS home.
1. Excellent advice! Have the dealer show and explain everything in detail.
2. Don't drive away until you try it for real.
3. Everything, every little detail, must be perfect. Accept nothing less.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
Although we were trading in an older AS for a new FC 27ft. in 2014 - staying overnight at the dealer was a good idea. Our dealer had us park our old AS next to our new one overnight and we transferred all our equipment over. I like the suggestion above - "film" all the directions being given by the dealer. Make sure they give you the book Newbies Guide to Airstreaming. It would be a good read during your overnight at the dealer. It has great information. Ask if your AS is winterized and how that affects you in GA. Make sure you are comfortable with using your hitch - attaching and detaching. There are many good brands out there, but it must be attached to your tow vehicle and AS properly. As with all the systems - write or video all instructions. If you have never driven a trailer before, ask the dealer for a lot nearby, where you can practice turning and esp. backing. Bring cones or Home Depot buckets to set up for backing practice - NEAR the dealership. As for equipment, you will find what you personally need as time goes on. I have a very comprehensive list that we use EVERY time we head out. If you would like a copy, I will send you one. Just email me at: sgraner@aol.com When we got our first AS we did 2 test run weekend trips before heading out on a 12,000 mile cross country trip. The first weekend was to a nearby campground to practice all the hookup things - water, electric, sewer, cable. The next weekend we went boon docking, where we learned how to live without all the hookups. We had purchased a generator and practiced using that as well on this trip. (We store it in the cap of our pickup truck.) After those 2 test run weekends, we were off to explore America and Canada. Winter is going strong here in northern VT, but we know there are 79 more days before we head south for spring break in FL. Good luck an safe journeys to you.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #25
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
As the owner of a 2017 Classic I can say to please make sure you understand every detail about the Alde system before you leave the lot. Make sure you turn the heat up high enough to be able to turn the AC on just to make sure both units are working. Turn the oven on and make sure it gets High enough to cook. Make sure you have the latest update on all firmware and that the Firefly system is talking to the Alde system.
As I recall, the dealership in Atlanta is on a very small lot and they may not allow overnight camping but if they do, I highly recommend spending the night on the lot. I’d be will to bet a bottle of wine there will be 5 things that won’t work when you see your new baby.
Hopefully you have been reading the forum for many months and are pretty well versed in what to expect. If not, you have lots to learn. The 2018 Classic has 2 features that are unique to that model so much sure the information you gather is for YOUR model.
Once you get all the bugs worked out, you’re gonna love it. I hope you have a very brief learning curve. Good luck, have fun.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:49 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgsouth View Post
Hey!
Brand new to Airstream. Picking up our AS Classic 30 tomorrow. Any thoughts on what to ask - check- verify before we drive out of the dealer?

wgsouth
Wgsouth.....Stay at a local campground or the dealer's property for a day or two and make sure everything is working. Also check the tire pressures before you leave. We found our tire pressure was at 45 psi instead of 65 psi when we arrived home. Good luck with your new unit.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:12 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Grants Pass , Oregon
Get 30 amp capability i.e. dog bone & cord. You'll need it & easier to use in cold weather.
Augianderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:13 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Anacortes , Washington
More thoughts

We nervously drove to Airstream Adventures NW near Seattle to pick up our new 2016 27' Serenity and never towed a trailer before! In our new 2016 F150.

They gave us about 1.5 hour walk through of everything inside and out. Very helpful. Then, they had me back up to hitch up the trailer. They had installed a Blue Ox weight distribution/anti-sway, and then a few adjustments to get the trailer level. After all of this, then we were 'good to go!". Hoo boy, gulp, ate our lunch inside the trailer, steadied the nerves, and proceeded off their lot into a busy four lane road with a right turn, and then within a block an immediate left onto a entrance ramp....and by the time we neared home about 2 hours later, I was feeling good!

Others have mentioned many things for you to consider. One other thing comes to mind - have the service people check the battery water levels and use a hydrometer to determine the battery status. I've read a number of newly delivered trailers have bad batteries needing replacement.

Spend a day or two going through the Owners Manuals for all the equipment on board and of course the AS one. They provided us many extras including a handy manual for all things AS in a ring bound book. Very helpful to learn as much as possible. The main Thermostat Control unit for heat, AC, heat pump, fan takes a while to understand, and can give a hair grey or two before it is learned!

Have great nervous fun bringing your AS home, and great adventures in Georgia and all around!
Pat Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:11 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Batteries charged! Lp filled? Tires pressures? Toilet paper? Water tank filled? Slinky, fresh water hose, sewer connectors? Anything else needed for a couple nights. Hitch set up properly?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:45 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Wow! Overwhelmed with all the great suggestions. Wish I had asked couple weeks ago. Will be doing as many of these as possible. I’m sure I’ll be back for more......
Wgsouth
Wgsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:23 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Fire up the hot water heater electric and gas; run the AC and heat pumps both of them; ask them to check the batteries for dead cells while your watching; check voltage when converter plugged in at the batteries...if no leaks, and everything works, should be good to go! Which hitch are you going to use...make sure it's level and WDH is not sagging after hitching up; measure front fender before hitch up and after to make sure same distance from ground.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:51 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
Lots of great advice! Definitely video the walk through, and keep notes, too. You won’t remember it all, and will suddenly have questions on a Sunday night.

On the complex items (you’ll know when you find yourself thinking harder), have them show you, then have them coach you doing the same thing, then go through it a third time with you telling them what you’re doing.

Make sure they go through the electrical and charging systems with you. It’s complex, and the source of a lot of questions here.

Ask “what do I do when this breaks” so they give you some tests and checks that you can do. You’ll have them videoed when trouble happens. And it will happen.

Understand the torque specs for the wheels.

There’s lots of great checklists here. Put them on your phone for ease of use.

Ask about regular maintenance on everything. They like to show how to use, but tend to skip maintenance.

Love the idea to camp a day or two at the lot and run everything on the trailer. Hard. Open and close everything. Push every button. Make notes.

Ask for the dealer’s cell.

If anything is in the least bit wonky, be prepared to walk. You’re spending a lot of money; get what you want.

You’re going to have a great time!!
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:28 PM   #33
Paul Kukstis

2018 30' Classic
Scituate , Massachusetts
We bought one from Pete’s RV in Vermont back in October - dealer gave us all day for walk through - very helpful. Take your time to understand it all, Ask a lot of questions, try it for the weekend close by the dealership if you can.
paul.kukstis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:09 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
As just mentioned, create a checklist for hook-up, departure and arrival, un-hook. Write every thing down from latching drawers, shower door, tv, retract stabilizers before raising the tongue, etc. Following a checklist will save you from damaging something because you forgot to do something. This is a living document that you will add to as you gain experience and it will make life easier by avoiding the the inevitable “...I thought you did that....” moment.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:36 AM   #35
Classy Roscoe

We received all the issues, your are good to go!

Our new 2017 Classic 31’ Twin was the trailer from Hell. Lots of mis-adjustments and system failures. But Jackson Center made it right!!

Please spend the night in your new machine at the dealer if possible. Do all those things mentioned in these posts. Test everything as if you were leaving to go camping for a week. Breath a lot and take your time. Make sure the dealership checked the lug nuts for proper torque. Watch that they do it.

You are going to have a wonderful time. Besides we had all the issues, so your experience will be perfect.

Happy trails and safe travels.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:27 AM   #36
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
Lots of good info here, we pick up our 2018 Classic in March, Our third Airstream but I will do the walkthrough like it was my first. Also plan to spend several days in a campground 5 miles away from the dealer after delivery. I need to be sure I fully understand the Alde System. Although I will be in a campground I plan to spend at least 2 nights with no hookups so I am confident all works well when boondocking
Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
2015 Classic 30 RB
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:05 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I did everything wrong. The dealer was very good, and the tech was willing to spend as much time as necessary. But it was 90 degrees, a lot of time was spent on the hitch, I had a dog at home to get back to, I had previously had motorhomes so I thought I knew stuff.
On my first trip, I realized how many questions I still had, as someone mentioned, "Are the propane tanks full, how do I switch over? Is the valve open?"

Oh, and make sure you know where the awning rod is, as well as the manual crank for the jack. Ask what you'll need, like a water hose and a sewer hose. You can get those online cheaper, although my dealer gave me a gift card for their store!
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
If your trailer has the Alde system, you’ll want to bookmark the thread titled “Much adieu about Alde”. So much great information there, and so many tips and tricks. Good to read over and have at your fingertips if there’s an issue.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:11 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I did everything wrong. The dealer was very good, and the tech was willing to spend as much time as necessary. But it was 90 degrees, a lot of time was spent on the hitch, I had a dog at home to get back to, I had previously had motorhomes so I thought I knew stuff.
On my first trip, I realized how many questions I still had, as someone mentioned, "Are the propane tanks full, how do I switch over? Is the valve open?"

Oh, and make sure you know where the awning rod is, as well as the manual crank for the jack. Ask what you'll need, like a water hose and a sewer hose. You can get those online cheaper, although my dealer gave me a gift card for their store!
Well, that brought to mind a "start up" kit; some dealers (mine) includes this with the hoses, plug adaptors, chocks, etc. Important stuff. Make sure your sewer hose "fits" in it's holder...the Rhino I had in first AS's did not fit due to connection being too large. There are other brands that do fit nicely. Not a big deal, but convenience for storage.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:13 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by YippieKiYa View Post
If your trailer has the Alde system, you’ll want to bookmark the thread titled “Much adieu about Alde”. So much great information there, and so many tips and tricks. Good to read over and have at your fingertips if there’s an issue.

Much “Ado” About Alde if you’re searching the forum. The French translation didn’t make it into the title of the thread.