Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2006, 11:11 AM   #1

ft. pierce , Florida
Percentage off list price

Hello--I am in negotiations for a 2007 International 28', The list price with options is 64,056 and the unit has been offered to me for 51,935. Thats about 19% off list. I am interested in your opinions as to how good a deal this is. Thanks Stu
classic4x4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
Craftsman

That's not bad. It always depends on the model and how well it's selling. If it's really popular expect less off .I would say the most discount you could expect is 25% off. It happens but I'd say it's the exception.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:35 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
Price

I think you're close or at the bottom line. I got about 20% off my CCD 28'. It's easier on autos to get really close to the best buy price because of all the info available. Once the dealer I bought my from stopped moving on price, another good thing to negotiate is an extended warranty with Thor and reduced interest on a loan if financing. Darrell
Darrell Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
For Factory Order, you're at the edge...

Since your other thread indicates you are special ordering the trailer from the factory, you are about as close to dealer cost as you're likely to get.. Dealers might drop lower to move a trailer they ordered and have kept in inventory past free flooring period, and are having to pay interest on while it sits and ages.. Most dealers are reluctant to stock the larger trailers, so ordering is becoming more common.

Do remember the dealer has to do pre-delivery inspection and prep work (though some do charge extra for this service...), and resolve a number of issues you find which might or might not be reimbursable from factory, plus potentially have paid tech instead of commissioned sales rep explain how trailer works.. These are all costs out of their spread between dealer cost and your purchase price.. Not trying to justify paying more, but just confirming dealers have costs and need to make profit to remain in business. Many A/S dealers cound on service work to earn profits, as a few $K profit per trailer won't cover costs..

Best advice above is to allow time and opportunity to find bugs or defects before driving off on new adventure, since no dealer will ever be as motivated to make things right as your selling dealer is before you've completed delivery acceptance...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:54 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
Best advice above is to allow time and opportunity to find bugs or defects before driving off on new adventure, since no dealer will ever be as motivated to make things right as your selling dealer is before you've completed delivery acceptance...
Listen to John he speaks the truth...We got a smokin' deal on our not so popular model that is perfect for our family but not so perfect for others. It was in the dealer’s inventory for 1 year. So based upon that, I believe 19% off is a very fair deal. If you aren’t quite happy with the deal, ask for them to throw in your hitch system….If you don’t ask...the answer can only be NO…..Now with that said go through the AS with a fine tooth comb...Search and read on the forums until your eyes fall out so you know what to look for and tell them to fix every little nit picky thing you can find...I mean EVERY little nit picky thing you can find, after all it’s your money and time. Our AS is getting all of the warranty things taken care of at a dealer now, but it takes a LOT longer when it isn’t as urgent as it would be to them at the closing of a deal…As a first time buyer excitement had me a little blind during walk-thru…so it is in hind sight that I realize it is better to get it taken care of on the front-end.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:21 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
We were interested in a 2007 19' Bambi.. the David Winnick model which is limited in production to 75 units... so you 'might' think getting a 15-20% discount on it wouldn't be possible since it is 'limited' and latests model... not so.

Anyways a few 'calls' and we learned the price (without any real negotiation) would be 15% for a unit on the lot... so probably 20% might have been possible. This was in the US.

Back in Canada MRSP is an amazing 125% compared to US MRSP!!! Yet the US dollar is current $1.13 in Canadian dollars! So they are inflated MRSP by another 12% or so here in the North.. sheesh.

No worry... we ended up ordering one here in Canada after offering to purchase for the US equivalent... thus they matched the price to get our biz. In the end here in Canada we essentially paid 80% of Canadian MRSP on an ordered 2007.
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:16 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Snoqualmie , Washington
We're looking at our first AS a 2006 Bambi Int. CCD 19' w/ the bunk option. We're getting offered 12% off the MSRP of 44,167. The bunk option is really great for us, but we don't know if it can be added by the dealer after the fact.

Should we look for another Bambi and have the bunk installed by the dealer?
12% sounds not so good in the land of last years model and 15-20% discounts.

They did offer to do the walk though, fix things, allow us to stay in it overnight at the dealer to find things to fix. Fill/check tanks and such (even TP).

Thoughts?
bsharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
12% is not that big a discount, so how far away is the next dealer? Are you willing to travel to buy your unit? Then you may have a dealer nearby who is not so willing to service your trailer. Maybe you can get him up to 15% off range.

We rec'd 18% off our ordered unit last year. There was no charge for prep and they installed my hitch and brake controller and it included a one night stay over at the dealer.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
classics4x4....19% is good in my book for an International CCD at the beginning of the 2007 model year. It is a very popular model, only recently eclipsed by the Safari SE models. CCDs are still fairly hot here in the West.

bsharpe....I think 12% has a loy of room in it, after all,it is a 2006 year model, and 2007s are already here. Also, I have noticed a lot of buyers who purchase 16 and 19 foot Airstreams move up real fast to larger units, which makes for quite a few late model resales at bargain prices. Most forum members would agree that a one or two year old Airstream is the way to go if you can find the model your looking for and there is still warranty left....not much to loose and a lot to gain. Many times you will also find that the first owner has already spent the time to correct the factory boo-boos before they put it up for sale. Again you win.

If you have any doubt about your next move...just read more in the forum and the answer will come.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:19 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Camarillo , California
link

How about we open an account at fedex.com and save 20% ?
Old 08-02-2006, 06:58 AM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
19% sounds pretty good also. While some have advised asking the dealer to potentially throw the hitch into the equation, I've always found that most dealers are willing to throw in the hitch for dealer cost. That saves a pretty good chunk of change. I did that for my Equal-i-zer and for the Class V receiver that I had to use when I got the hitch heavy slide out.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:22 AM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Root
How about we open an account at fedex.com and save 20% ?

In all seriousness, my exp 2x has mirrored Jack's comments. 19% is fairly standard and first time around I got my Reese hitch, sway (friction) and weight bars at dealer cost. Of course I'm talking about the dealer that told me that the fire extinguisher was not included with a new Airstream, the fresh water tank was in the back (on a 19' Bambi) and the wiring for the brake controller stopped working about a year ago that they installed on my car....... now I have the Suburban and haven't worried too much about that...and didn't go back to that dealer when I bought the Safari.

My point, that has also been said here before, 19% off with a bad dealer is a good thing when buying, but good service centers for Airstreams are not easy to find. If your dealer is reasonably close, treats you well and has a good service dept, it might be worth loosing a few percentage points off the negot, to have a good relationship with a dealer because at some point, you WILL need service, if but for nothing else, ironing out the bugs the new coaches seem to have from time to time.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:54 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Martin , Georgia
I'm trying to negotiate a 18% deal on a 19' International. The dealer's last offer was 16% below MSRP. He is trying to tell me the 2007 models are going up 14%. Has anyone else heard of this big of an increase in the 2007 prices?
Dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:24 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Minneapolis , Minnesota
Haven't heard about official price increases, but the cost of metal has skyrocketing - most have doubled & that will have to trickle down.
SMPLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:39 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Franklin , Tennessee
Pretty good deal

For a CCD 28 purchased new , a 2004 model, on 10/24/03 we paid $43,403, about 19% off list. Yours at 19% off list looks about the same.

It had every option available (but no TV, Microwave).

Don't exactly recall the list, but it was over $53,000.

Nice to know that we could probably sell it today for what we paid for it.

PS Love the trailer.
nangoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Get a bigger one - shop nationally

We searched nationally. Final 2004 model price was >26% off MSRP. Get on the phone.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:37 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Snoqualmie , Washington
Thanks redeagle and timemachine. While the next dealer is much further away (from Seattle) perhaps it would be worth it to save 1300 (the extra 3%). If we go national -- we'd have to have it delivered and that would eat our saving up.

I bet the 19' would whet our appetite for a 22 or bigger, but we didn't want to have to get a new truck too. Our little Avalanche 1500 isn't big enough to handle the bigger AS's. One step at a time.
bsharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:50 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Franklin , Tennessee
We didn't care

We weren't going to search the country for the best deal. It was a flippant buy, we bought it right on the spot. Just fell in love with the trailer and Airstream had a good reputation. We expected to pay list.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:25 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Camarillo , California
Link

Nangoff, Thats about the same deal we got from Toscano in Ca. They are known for good discounts, plus the 28 CCD was a good seller so I'm sure slightly better deals could be made on other models. We did negotiate extras like hitch, controller,seven year thor ext. warranty and 5% interest.We haven't been sorry one day since purchase. Darrell
Old 08-02-2006, 03:52 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Franklin , Tennessee
We didn't care

Darrell,

A couple of things:

We replaced the single tank with two at the factory: $850.

We resanded the frosted sliding cabinet panels with 40 grit sandpaper and hand sander. Looks like new. Then reversed the panels so the frosted side is out.

PS Our trailer was part of a video shoot here in Nashville for a country and western singer by the name of Steve Holy. He's coming out with a new DVD with our trailer as a prop. I believe the Blue Beret will publish some of the pictures I sent in.