Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2006, 08:32 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Payment in relation to delivery?

Yet another question

If you buy a trailer from a remote dealer, who is going to deliver the trailer, is there a customary approach to the timing of paying? In other words would it be typical to say something like "X due at signing and Y due upon delivery" ?

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2006, 08:36 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We bought our Airstream (Lucy) from a dealer three months ago. We made a $500.00 deposit upon signing the deal. We paid the balance when we took delivery of her two weeks later.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Roswell , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to desidou Send a message via Yahoo to desidou
Ours wasn't delivered, but we picked up...

We live in GA and we bought our trailer from a dealer in Tampa - an 8 hour drive from us. We did the entire deal over the phone & via the internet and all he required was a $1K deposit that I charged to a credit card, then promptly paid off. We brought the check from the bank with us so that we could complete the paperwork when we arrived to pick up the trailer.

Things worked out well and we got to sleep in the trailer on the way home from Tampa, so it saved us a few bucks. Plus we were so excited about getting it, I think we would have slept in it regardless if it was parked in our front yard
AIR # 8298
desidou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:31 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkStar
Yet another question

If you buy a trailer from a remote dealer, who is going to deliver the trailer, is there a customary approach to the timing of paying? In other words would it be typical to say something like "X due at signing and Y due upon delivery" ?

Thanks!
My advice is that you need to be up at the dealer's when you pay. That way you can look it over, hopefully stay in it a few nights and get some of the early bugs or questions addressed.

Note that while I won't say this happens everywhere, but dealers know who their purchase customers are. I can tell you that if I need special service or favors for a quick appointment, my dealer will give me preference over a trailer that was purchased somewhere else. Now if nobody is close then it doesn't make much difference, but if you have a local dealer, and they provide good service, look long and hard as to whether that price differential is meaningful.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:47 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Hi Jack, everyone,

Okay, a little more scoop. We have no tow vehicle, initially we plan to use this trailer as our office. The trailer is a vintage / restored trailer, so it's not like we can shop around

The dealer has agreed to deliver the trailer (for what seems to be a reasonable fee). My question is: what percentage to pay now, and what percentage to pay upon delivery and walk-thru? we could fly the 1000 miles to see the trailer, but that doesn't solve the issue of what might happen during transport.

Of course the dealer would like all his money now but that doesn't seem prudent...doh!

Also, when would title be transferred?

Thanks a million! (okay, it's not quite that expensive )
Old 08-16-2006, 01:21 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Well the trip to look at is well warranted. You do have issues regarding the road worthiness of the trailer. Is this dealer prepared to make sure it is road worthy, tires, wheel bearings, running lights, brakes? What's his responsibility if you have a failure of a component during travel? Is the trailer covered under his insurance if an accident occurs?

Yes you need to inspect that trailer first. I just met with some local folks here in STL who bought a "restored trailer from a dealer" site unseen other than dealer supplied pictures. They met halfway from the originating point to STL. At that exchange point additional monies were paid, and I sort of believe that they felt the trailer was not quite in the condition they expected. Pictures don't show it all and I found some significant floor rot when I inspected the trailer at their home. I think it was a tough situation and in retrospect I think they wished they would have gone to look at the unit first. In their case the title was given to them at the exchange point.

Their problem at this point is that the trailer ends up being misrepresented as the the model and length, and it needs considerably more work than they expected. Bottom line is the dealer has their money and any kind of legal action is a no win situation since the advertising used for the trailer had a lot of may be's and we think statements.

If you go through with this you may need to add a clause that says that the dealer is responsible to insure that the trailer is delivered in the same condition as it was when you inspected it at the dealers home site. That takes care of your road damage issue.

Go to the dealer's to see that trailer. Look, prod, and take pictures inside and out. Let those be the record of what the trailer looked like at purchase time.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:34 PM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We purchased our '06 new over the phone sight unseen with the provisio that it was contengent on the walk through. The dealer even initiated that stipulation, not me.

I put $2,000 down of the 10% deposit on my credit card and the dealer handled the financing at a better rate than I had been able to find. We picked up the trailer at the dealer's location (in another state) and paid the balance of the deposit by personal check. Everything went smooth as silk and we were very pleased with our dealer and our coach. No glitches with the deal or the trailer.

Unfortunately, not everyone's experience is as good as ours.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:59 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Jack, and everyone,

Thanks again - we're gonna take a few plane trips tomorrow (with our camera in tow).

So now, we go out and see it - let's say we like it - what percentage would we pay tomorrow, and what percentage upon delivery? Oh, and the insurance issue is a good one - from my perspective I'd prefer to wait to take the title upon successful delivery...
Old 08-16-2006, 03:10 PM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkStar
Jack, and everyone,

Thanks again - we're gonna take a few plane trips tomorrow (with our camera in tow).

So now, we go out and see it - let's say we like it - what percentage would we pay tomorrow, and what percentage upon delivery? Oh, and the insurance issue is a good one - from my perspective I'd prefer to wait to take the title upon successful delivery...
I would pay 10%-20% down depending on the asking price. For example, if the asking price is $6,000, I'd put $600-$1,200 down and the balance on delivery. If the asking price is $10,000, I'd put $1,000 down. If the asking price is more or less, more down payment is up to you. Go with what you feel comfortable with.

The dealer may ask for more, however, since he will be making such a long trip for delivery and risking making the trip only to find that you back out once he gets there. After you've seen the trailer, he may be more comfortable that won't happen. You may back out when you see it at his lot. You just never know. Consider the trip an investment in your future camping piece of mind.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-16-2006, 06:11 PM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I agree with the 10% - 20% number, but I think that the cost of the shipping should also be paid in advance. The shipping is an expense to the seller even if you were to back out of the deal when the trailer gets to your location.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:43 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

I think 20% plus the moving cost is reasonable. I suspect that the dealer is going to claim that he will need something like 60 or 70% plus the moving cost

I'm trying to see both sides of this situation...for instance, if we inspect it, and we like it and we buy it on the spot, how it that any different than buying it then having it shipped? Perhaps if he insures it like a mover would that would work?

On the other hand if I pay a huge chunk and it shows up all dinged up then that's tricky too

Then there's the question of how much does a dealer care about his reputation? How much does that buy me?

I guess I'm looking for a perspective...
Old 08-16-2006, 07:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Have a "Glass is Half Empty and Leaking" Moment..

One technique of lawyers to earn their fees is to walk through all the things that could go wrong, rather than focus happy thoughts on what should go right... That approach leads to questions you should answer and resolve in some form of written messages with selling dealer, including e-mails...

Questions about insurance in transit or if trailer is totalled are goods ones to ask. I'd try to make title passage and risk of loss transfer happen upon delivery, not initial payment or signing of contract to buy. Even a tire blowout could do thousands of dollars in damge to trailer, and any body damage would likely be a total for most insurance companies.

What if brakes fail on trip to you? What if delivery driver is negligent and has an accident they were clearly at fault for? What if hidden defects appear only after you've had a chance to inspect on your property, like plumbing leaks or a refrigerator that shuts off after 2 hours of running? What if A/C leaks or doesn't really blow cold air, or compressor shuts down after 30 minutes? Since you're not likely to get a warranty, think these through and decide in advance how you'll react and handle it if they do occur.

I'd love to say all dealers care deeply about their reputation, but the sad truth is that only "Most" dealers care.. SOME are quite willing to screw one customer after another in a happy sequence until it is time to sell the dealership and buy another to start process over under new name... Know which type you're dealing with.. Ask via Private message some of the people here who live in the area.. (Wisely, very few are willing to disparage (legaleze for Bash..) a bad dealer in full public spotlight here on the Forums..)

With all that, what happens to "deposit" and "delivery fees" if transaction blows up? What grounds for dealer to retain deposit? What grounds for you to seek recovery? How will dispute be resolved? Arbitration? Small claims court? Fistfight?

Good luck, and I hope it all works out!

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:52 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
I just bought a Safari a 1000 miles away...

I live in Texas, and bought a new Safari 30 from the dealer in Tampa over the phone. They originally wanted 2k on the phone for deposit, and I balked because my local dealer will custom order a new unit for only a 500 bucks. They adjusted my deposit to 1k. I saved about 4k by purchasing out of state, as I only found 2 others like it in Texas.

Upon my arrival I noticed several items on the unit that were going to be pre-delivery warranty items, and we noted them. I brought a cashiers check along and I was out the door. I was very happy with the dealer, Bates RV. They are experienced AS dealers with a good service dept.

My biggest thing is AS not wanting to warranty the any items that corrode on the lot. I think that should be between the dealer and the manufacturer.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:30 AM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Welcome to the Forums SafariSS. I have an '06 like your 30' and love it. It seems like now that Airstream has discontinued this plan more and more are showing up here on the Forum. I personally think the sales would have increased if they had offered it in the SE plan rather than killing it off.

Anyway, I agree that paying the delivery fee upfront in addition to the deposit would be reasonable. A lot has to do with the dealer. I bought a new truck that cost nearly as much as my Airstream from a dealer two states away (waited too late to special order and this was the closest one in stock to match my desires) and I put a minimal deposit (can't remember it was so small) over the phone and it was delivered to my drive way, no problems. Delivery was included in the final negotiated price.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-30-2006, 11:46 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2002 16' Bambi
mountain view , California
Buying at a distance

Hi,
This is just to relate our recent experience in obtaining our (wonderful) Bambi from a private party which we found here in the classifieds. I knew right away I had to have this one because of its' floorplan, but it was 3300 miles away! The seller wanted me to send a check and then volunteered to drive it out.

Instead, I drew up a contract to protect both of us, and the seller modified it until we were both content. The terms of the contract provided that I put the money into an escrow account (escrow.com ....charges @ 10% for a fee.) We provided signatures via "fax."

The contract also stipulated that "Bambi" pass an inspection, and I located an RV dealership for this. (The closest Airstream dealer was not in the least interested in doing this!.) It did not occur to me to look in the forum for an inspector, but I think that is possibly a better alternative. Anyway, the dealer was extremely helpful! Even though it was their busiest time of year, the service department took pity on me, looked it over and repaired a couple of small plumbing leaks. They told me it was in excellent shape,... although no one (not the seller either ) ever mentioned there was one v. slight longish dent on the side, or that the inside was stained with oxidation, or that the holding tank pan was damaged! (We all have our own definition of excellence! )

The head of the service department also agreed to act as my "agent" at no extra charge) and agreed to store the trailer "free" for up to one week while the shipper arranged for pick-up. (Isn't that nice?)

Upon passing inspection I asked the seller put the "title" into overnight mail, and when I received it, I released the escrow monies to her bank account.

I found the shipper from Uship.com and was v. pleased with their service.

I'd be happy to e-mail a copy of the contract we drew up if you need a sample to modify to your needs. I'm new at this...I think...there is probably a way for you to contact me through the forum?

linda
teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:00 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Well we did the deed. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have been comfortable with the way we worked it out, but in this case all's well that ends well.

We flew out to see the trailer and do the best inspection that, as newbies, we could do. (Kudos to the inspection checklist I found on this site - it helped a lot.)

We did the deal onsite (1000 miles away), got insurance (again, thanks for the forums tip on using Progressive) and then wrote up a separate contract to have the dealer deliver the trailer to us - once we had the title. A few days later our trailer arrived, and we're happy as clams.

Visiting the dealer helped ease our concerns because we got a tour of his many wonderful completed trailer restorations and of a few jobs in progress. It was clear to us that this was no fly-by-night operation.

So yeah! After thinking about this for several years, we finally have a trailer...next, a tow vehicle : )

Thanks to you all for your help!

Bert