Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
2trackrr

1991 34' Limited
Waxahachie , Texas
Pay-Pal

I have a number of inquires on my ad selling my 1984 Rig who want to use Pay Pal to if the purchase it . I'm concerned about how good a choice of type of payment protection I have as a seller from blow back?
2trackrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
eBay Guides - PAYPAL PAYMENT SCAMS IMPORTANT NEW UPDATE PLEASE READ

http://helpcentre.carsales.com.au/sc...-payment-scam/
Old 03-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2trackrr View Post
I have a number of inquires on my ad selling my 1984 Rig who want to use Pay Pal to if the purchase it . I'm concerned about how good a choice of type of payment protection I have as a seller from blow back?
If they want it, they should come to see it. If they come to see it, they can make arrangements to give you cash to take it home with them. When you have the cash then, and only then, sign the title over to them.

Virtually all of the "i'll have my agent pick it up" are scams.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
I had some of those also when selling my rig.
Don't even respond!
Scam!
Most of mine said they wanted to buy my "thing"
Agent, ha, sure!
As stated, cash is king...NO other payment will do...
SCAM! Stay away, you will regred responding to them.
Don't give them an address either!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I had some very legitimate sounding people who turned out to be scammers. Paypal is the key for sure. I did have one person who threw the word "agent" at me, as well as saying he couldn't pick it up, but would have someone arrange to pick it up. I became very rude & thought he was a scammer. He asked for my phone number, which I have him because I thought there was no way a scammer would call. He did call & was from the Ukraine. Long story short, he was legit, but I had already had a deposit on the trailer. But, always proceed with caution! And, by the way, I've had plenty of scammers right here on the Airforums classifieds. No one is immune!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
To the best of my knowledge, the ONLY secure means of payment, other than cash, is a Western Union Money Order.

They can't buy the money order without the money to pay for it.
They can't stop payment on the money order after you deposit or cash it.
You can verify that it's not a forgery by checking with your local Western Union office.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
100% agree with posters here. Cash, bank certified cheque, money order are all fine. If someone wants to use some other means of payment, "no" is a perfectly acceptable answer.

If they want your Airstream, they can dance to YOUR tune!

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Ask Paypal directly for your protection as a seller. I have used it to buy and sell with pretty good results. I never had anyone cancel a transaction that I wasn't reimbursed for. Granted, nothing as large as a trailer. I used Paypal to buy our last trailer. Stuck it right on a credit card.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Not to mention that if somehow the buyer was legit, PayPal will hit you for a 3% service charge.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:47 AM   #10
2trackrr

1991 34' Limited
Waxahachie , Texas
Thank You All
You have confirmed what I thought about PayPal nad Cash as always if king.

2Trackrr
Old 03-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #11
2trackrr

1991 34' Limited
Waxahachie , Texas
Angry PayPal Scams

Fellow Airstreamers
Here is a copy of the scam emails I have been receiving I received 23 of the same emails from 2 different names. I forwarded all to local PD and FBI Cyber crime units in Dallas.

Watch out.

Good to hear back from you, i am located in WA. i am buying this airstream for my Dad as a surprise gift, i am okay with the price, i am a marine engineer at this moment i am presently working offshore, sometimes access to regular emails and phone calls are very poor in offshore due to inefficiency of phone and internet connections, more so we are often constrain from accessing the internet or making phone calls, i insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online and i don't have internet banking too, but i can pay from my PayPal account as i have my bank a/c attached to it, you don't need to bother yourself about the shipment because i have a pick-up agent that will come for the pick-up they will also determine and secure the shipment, get back to me with your PayPal email address so that i can make the payment, i will also need you to provide me with the following information in order to facilitate the payment.

1.Your Full name.
2.Your PayPal Email Address.
3.Your phone number.

Kind Regards.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:47 AM   #12

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2trackrr View Post
Good to hear back from you, i am located in WA. i am buying this airstream for my Dad as a surprise gift, i am okay with the price, i am a marine engineer at this moment i am presently working offshore, sometimes access to regular emails and phone calls are very poor in offshore due to inefficiency of phone and internet connections, more so we are often constrain from accessing the internet or making phone calls, i insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online and i don't have internet banking too, but i can pay from my PayPal account as i have my bank a/c attached to it, you don't need to bother yourself about the shipment because i have a pick-up agent that will come for the pick-up they will also determine and secure the shipment, get back to me with your PayPal email address so that i can make the payment, i will also need you to provide me with the following information in order to facilitate the payment.

1.Your Full name.
2.Your PayPal Email Address.
3.Your phone number.
Enough flags in this one to rival UN Headquarters in New York, but the one that's most important is the very last flag.

This isn't just a scam to cheat you out of a trailer, it's a phishing attack, a prelude to hacking your accounts and stealing your identity, as evidenced by the request for personally-identifiable information that isn't strictly needed just to send money to someone.

Never respond to requests for personal information from people/organizations you don't know and trust.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #13

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Another give away is that English is not the buyer's native language. There are several sentences that just don't ring right.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Another give away is that English is not the buyer's native language.
That by itself is not a flag for me. When I lived in the New Orleans Garden District, at various times my apartment complex had tenants from Poland, France, Zimbabwe, Turkey, Iran, Romania, Italy, Finland, South Africa, Germany, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, India, Colombia, and even some New Orleans natives. They ALL sounded like English wasn't their native language. That didn't make them untrustworthy.

There are enough other indicators in the sample e-mail that language usage doesn't need to be one of them.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
When I use Paypal to accept payment, I generate an invoice out of Paypal. I don't ask for the paypal ID, name or phone number. I do need an email to send it. If the email/account is not a registered/verified Paypal user I would be very hesitant to complete the transaction.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #16
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I have used paypal for many small transactions under $500 without a problem. I also sold my Bambi in under 24 hours and accepted a $3000 deposit to hold the trailer until the buyer could make the trip to pick it up. They were the a serious buyer and made the move to reserve it.

However, I do not know if I would try to make the whole transaction through paypal.That is when bank transfers are the best source.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
I use paypal all the time but never send your personal information to anyone you did not initiate the transaction for.
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
paypal

Its not very safe to take large payments thru paypal (or any for that matter).
If the buyer uses paypal,picks up the trailer,then goes to paypal and says he never received the trailer,paypal will give him the $$ back unless you have a "tracking #" to prove the trailer was delivered.
Cash or wire transfer is the safest.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Cash is king for me ,even a cashiers check can be a phony. Whenever possible the transaction takes place in a bank as an extra precaution and I will even check new large bills with a counterfit pen like most merchants use before accepting them.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote