Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2018, 01:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Sometime , Alabama
Ordering New AS - What Are Available Choices?

Will be purchasing a new 27 or 30 foot International model (Signature or Serenity).

Please let me know if there is a list of choices that the buyer has available if ordering new (verses buying a stock model off of the lot).

I have seen the list of options on the Airstream website for the models that we are interested in. But I would like to hear from anyone experienced in ordering a new AS regarding this subject.

Do the dealers pull out a check list to guide you through the choices that you have?
-wheel size
-tire choices
-interior mods
...and so on and so forth.

Also interested in any input for options that you felt strongly about if you ordered an AS. For example, I do not want powered anything...awning, stabilizers...Wanting to keep the systems simple. We will be full timing in our AS.

Thanks for any guidance that you can offer.
bigcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountry View Post
Will be purchasing a new 27 or 30 foot International model (Signature or Serenity).

Please let me know if there is a list of choices that the buyer has available if ordering new (verses buying a stock model off of the lot).

I have seen the list of options on the Airstream website for the models that we are interested in. But I would like to hear from anyone experienced in ordering a new AS regarding this subject.

Do the dealers pull out a check list to guide you through the choices that you have?
-wheel size
-tire choices
-interior mods

Also interested in any input for options that you felt strongly about if you ordered an AS. For example, I do not want powered anything...awning, stabilizers...Wanting to keep the systems simple. We will be full timing in our AS.

Other than the standard decorating things such as floorplan, color, etc., I don't recall that there are many options. From my memory, some include:
1) Solar with AGM batteries - I think you are better off doing this after purchase...this seems to be the general consensus on this site

2) 2nd air conditioner. Most would recommend as you also get 50amp service

3) Rear backup camera. I have found this mostly worthless, but it could just be the way it is setup. I only see the back bumper and maybe 10' out. I just send my wife out when we have to backup!

Those are the main ones if I remember correctly. You should be able to see all available options on the Airstream site.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I don't feel that the powered accessories are necessary either. And I agree that aftermarket solar is a better option. However, there is a package which gives you rear and roadside awnings. We had these on our 25' Flying Cloud and felt that they were a help in keeping the trailer comfortable when parked in the sun.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
I don't feel that the powered accessories are necessary either. And I agree that aftermarket solar is a better option. However, in addition to the options mentioned above there is also a package which gives you rear and roadside awnings. We had these on our 25' Flying Cloud and felt that they were a help in keeping the trailer comfortable when parked in the sun.

Ah, good point! Forgot those! We have those and they are well with it!
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Camera - get one - if the installed camera does not adjust to provide the correct view, install one that does. Default is Voyager. Lots of other options too.

Second AC - get it, you don't have to use it if you don't need it.

Awning package - if you spend lots of time in sunny/hot areas, get it as it will be money well spent.

Figure out if you are an extended warranty or sealer coating kind of person before you close. Some folks self insure the warranty and would rather use wax than nano seal tech. Know what you are buying, before you buy it. Do not finance anything except the coach.

Understand the ground clearance issues. Road construction transitions, driveways, ruts, chuck holes, speed bumps, camp site pads and similar variations in road surface. A tail whack is expensive.

Understand ongoing maintenance requirements, brakes, bearings, tires and similar. Self adjusting, never lube, and latest standards vs prior specification requirements all represent issues to assimilate.

If you don't tow, look at a school to teach you. It is a full focus, non-contact, activity that is not the same as riding a bicycle. Lesson one is go slow. Lesson two is look before you go. Lesson three is to back off and leave twice the space you think you need to stop in an emergency.

Research the weight distribution and sway control hitches. You need one.

Not all hitch receivers, including OEMs, are correctly designed. Understand what you have and upgrade if it's not up to the job.

Gear - Discuss with your sales person what gear they provide with the sale. Power cable, sewer hose, water filter and hose and similar. Search the threads for gear suggestions and build a list. It will get long. Use the sheets, pans, dishes, towels and similar that you have. You will add later, but learn before you buy.

Mattress - Understand that you may be upgrading the mattress quicker than you thought possible. However, some folks are happy as delivered and a lot of folks just add a topper.

Solar - WOW - depends. Three routes ... No, yes, and later. If you will always use your coach and stay where electrical is available, you do not need solar. If you are going to do a lot of off-grid camping then plan to get a full aftermarket solar install. If you are occasionally going to stay off grid a couple of days, either have AS install two panels or buy an aftermarket suitcase solar pack. The choice is dependant on your affinity for hassel. More = suitcase and less equals AS. Get a generator only if you must be off grid and must have Air Conditioning.

Battery - parallels solar as more solar requires more battery. Amp hours need to match. Part of solar should be a battery monitor. For any coach that will be stored, install a battery disconnect switch. Until you do, it is possible to save the batteries by removing the cables. There is parasitic load even when the use store switch is off. Not all function the same.

Lots more - do your research. Videos, read the threads, and talk to folks. However - only believe what you can verify for yourself. Lots of bad, misleading, opinionated and sometimes incorrect info is presented as fact.

Good luck with your research. Hope to see you down the road. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #6
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I would think my advice is pretty much a common sense thing but...go and sit, stand, lay down, in as many Airstreams as you possibly can long before you buy one. Figure out where you plan to put things in advance. If you plan to travel with 4 people then alway take 4 people when you go and look at them. Take any animals that you plan to travel with you as well. Figure out where everything and everyone will fit.
If you have never owned an Airstream before then rent one for a week or two. It may be a tad expensive but you would be surprised how many people buy a brand new Airstream and end up selling it within 1 year. I rented one for a month before I put in my order and highly recommend renting if this is your first RV or travel trailer.
Personally I would never finance but that’s just me.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
My advice

I am shopping for an Airstream now and the best thing I’ve done so far is to find a salesperson who knows AS inside and out. He even referred me to a competitor so I could check out both models I’m interested in because he didn’t have them on his lot. He has reassured me he will give me lowest price out there and told me to get ready for a lengthy orientation when I pick it up. There are many recommendations on the Forum from buyers with great experiences.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:02 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Factory options available depending on model are:

1) Solar (panels, controller, AGM batteries)
2) Electric main awning upgrade
3) Conv/micro instead of propane oven
4) Main oven delete with drawers instead
5) Full awning package (highly recommended)
6) 2nd A/C unit with 50amp service (deletes a Fantastic Fan)

Possible factory non standard changes that they might agree to do with a $500 change fee on top of the additional charges for the actual change).

1) Different awning fabric
2) 16” wheel/tire package
3) Different floor
4) Other customer spec’d changes

Airstream has been all over the map on whether they will agree to any of these changes. When we ordered ours a few years ago they first agreed to us a diffent floor then they refused to do so. However, they did do the different wheels/tires for us. With the current volume they are cranking through the factory, my guess is they are less willing to do much in the way of custom changes.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:26 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quote:

-wheel size
-tire choices
-interior mods

bigcountry,

We just ordered a new Globetrotter in October. To put it bluntly, no, there is no easily accessible list of options other than what you see in the Airstream literature. Also, don't expect your sales person to know all the possibilities unless they are someone like Patrick at Colonial Airstream. HeadWest provided the best listing of options I have seen in one place. As PKI suggested, the bottom line is research, research, research. kendrick.l.j was spot on when he said to spend as much time sitting in the models you think you are interested and imagining how you would carry out your daily life.

I spent more than two years reading as many of the postings on Air Forums as I could (even the ones that were on renovations and motorhomes) before we signed on the dotted line. I learned a tremendous amount about what is possible, what to expect, and what is going to be the best fit for us. We waffled between three models. After going to several RV shows and multiple trips to dealerships (including a 9+ hr drive to Colonial Airstream) to spend time "trying out" the different floor plans and sizes, when we stepped into the Globetrotter we knew it was "it".

I found one or two dealer websites that posted the actual trailer delivery stickers so you can get an idea of what the MSRP is for the different options. (If I can figure out which ones again I'll post the names.) We are extended warranty (service contract) sort of people. When we placed the order we got some preliminary info from the dealership and then I went home and started digging. Needless to say I will NOT be purchasing from the dealership. If you are interested in this type of product, realize that the trailer comes with a 2-year warranty and each of the appliances come with their own individual warranties. The key point if you want to extend your coverage is to find out whether the plan is an exclusionary plan or an inclusionary plan. Basically, you want one that tells you what it won't cover (exclusionary) because it will cover everything else. An inclusionary plan will only cover what is specifically listed and not a rivet more. A variety of options at a range of prices can be found with an internet search.

Best of luck in finding the perfect match for your travels!

Cathy
NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
For a trailer that size, you definitely will appreciate a 2nd A/C in the summer time in the South, as well as the awning package, which does make a big difference on those sunny afternoons/evenings.

As you mentioned, stay away from the power awning.

We got the Convection Microwave and deleted the oven for the extra drawers.

I wish I had upgraded to 16" wheel/tire combo when I purchased.

Look carefully at the layout differences in the 27' and 30' models to see which you prefer.

Solar will be my next upgrade, but from what I have read, you get a lot more bang for your buck with an aftermarket setup.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:55 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
There's some good advice above and I'll second a few of the ideas.

1. Get 2 A/C's and the 50 amp service. It's 50 amp/240V at the pedestal and 100 amps/ 120V in your airstream. No more tripped 30 amp breaker when you run the micro, water heater & a hair dryer at the same time.

2. The awning package is the biggest no brainer in the history of mankind.

3. We don't have the convection micro because we didn't want to give up the larger footprint of the oven. And don't forget that the conv micro isn't any good when you are boondocking (the AC's and micro as the only appliances that require elec hook-up).

GL, Dave
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:21 PM   #12
SophieHaus

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2007 25' International CCD FB
2006 23' Safari SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:

-wheel size
-tire choices
-interior mods

Get the solar package. Two American made Zamp 80 watt (160 watt total), with controller display, and two Lifeline AGM batteries. The batteries alone can cost $700. Total price is $2200 factory installed. Since they are installed by the factory you will have all the necessary warranties including possible but rare leaks. If you wait to add solar later you will have to figure out adequate amperage, watts, batteries, controllers/displays, and you will get crazy advise about what works and what doesn't. Some people will even try to get you to replace or bypass your existing solar wiring which is not necessary. Lastly, even if you do not boondock much your solar system will charge your batteries while your coach is in storage which with proper care should extend the life of your expensive batteries, since they will always be charging. Good luck!
Sophiehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:40 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Sometime , Alabama
Thank You!

Thanks so much everyone for your informative replies.

We have spent a great deal of time sitting in 27 and 30 foot Internationals (Signature and Serenity). We have been in Airstream research mode for over two years now.

I'm pretty familiar with the standard option offerings for these models in the Airstream lit.

We are now trying to decide if we want to order our own build or purchase from dealer lot inventory.

We will consider ordering, and waiting for the build, if Airstream will allow worthwhile special requests for build-to-order units (like the 16" wheels and tires for example).

I am interested in anyone's experience with special requests, on recently ordered units, and what those requests were.

This forum has been so helpful to us. Many of our questions have been answered without us posting questions. When we do post questions, we always get valuable and appreciated answers.

Thanks Again!!
bigcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:50 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
We have a 2011 30’ International Serenity. We love the interior decor and it has been a great trailer! We are “looking” at the 30’ Classic for a couple reasons. First, although we like sleeping in the same bed, the twin layout with longer and wider beds is really appealing. We also really like the double recliner couch. The other thing I would love is the Alde heat system. Even heating with minimal battery drain is very appealing. Also the way the curtains, valances etc are installed add a lot of insulation we don’t have in our unit. After some days in sub freezing temperatures more insulation and better heating sounds really good! For sure get two A/C units! Enjoy your new trailer!
Riverdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:07 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountr
I am interested in anyone's experience with special requests, on recently ordered units, and what those requests were.

As for my experience there are no special requests considered, only options to select from. As for your request, 16” tires are an option.

Options I can think of are:

- Road side awning
- Power awning
- 2nd AC
- Conv Micro
- 16” wheels/tires
- Solar w/ AGM batteries
- Backup cam
- Twin Beds in some models
ArkFortyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:34 AM   #16
2017 FC 28 Twin

Plymouth , Indiana
When we ordered ours I had in the deal worked with the dealer the following: AGM batteries,battery monitor, progressive industries external surge protector, progressive dynamic converter, exterior stainless package, Full awning package,16inch wheels & Maxim aftermarket skylights all of the above plus prior to signing and after visual inspection (yes even the roof) for proper install and functionality, proper hitch is a must that safely mates your TV to the unit you’ve chosen as for us as you can see by our sig we have a horse for a TV no WD hitch it’s not needed however if I had a 3/4 ton SRW I would have a propride, we thought the the 2+ hour delivery process was unneeded we’ve been rv’ing For over 20 years so we know how to dump tanks fill water plus as yourself & others have done I’ve read & searched this forum front to back prior to making the purchase subsequently after the unit was home More modifications were done to elleviate future problems which may occur that others have experienced. Congrats on the future & remember even though your going to full time owning an AS is a new found hobby!
Old 01-04-2018, 08:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
There are not many options.
1. Awning package for driver's side and back.
2. Rear vision camera.
3. Solar package
4. Second A/C unit with 50 amp service.

You have a choice of two or three decors. You can't mix and match.

I say buying off the lot is much safer if you find what you want.
Ordering takes two months, and there's always the possibility that your new trailer will have some problem when it shows up.
At least on the lot you can see it first, check the fit and finish, doors, leaks!
It took some searching but I found mine on a lot. I don't think I'd change anything. Yes, it had some silly fixes, a shade pull was broken, a drawer release was missing a cap. All easy fixes.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote