Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Question Ordering a custom Airstream

I called an Airstream dealer for info about ordering a custom 2013 Airstream. The salesman said he would email me a form, but it's been 3 days, and I have yet to receive the document. I called the second day and the salesman assured me he was in the process of sending it.

Do dealers not want to sell custom Airstreams? Do they make less profit? I am serious about getting a new Airstream.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Sounds like you just got a stupid salesman. Smart salesmen realize that the only thing they personally have to offer is service, and they provide that well. Dumb ones jerk customers around, fail to follow through on their commitments, etc.

Find another. It's not as easy as finding another Ford dealer, but there are other Airstream dealers and some of them specialize in long-distance transactions. Especially if you're going to custom-order something that's just what you want, consider finding a dealer that acts like they want your business.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #3

2009 28' International
andrews , Texas
what are you going to order, if you dont mind me asking
toclark491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I didn't know you could order a custom Airstream. You can order one with a handful of options and some fabric/laminate packages. They come pretty well equipped. Would he work it through a custom shop for alterations? Does he know?

My salesman has been very good but the dealership overall is a big disappointment.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
what are you going to order, if you dont mind me asking
I want to get a 2013 Flying Could 27' FB. The models the dealership has on display have more options than I want, such as a second air conditioner and/or television. I just want window awnings.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I don't know how extreme you want to go, however take a look here.

Timeless Travel Trailers

http://www.timelesstraveltrailers.co...ream-trailers/

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernviews View Post
I want to get a 2013 Flying Could 27' FB. The models the dealership has on display have more options than I want, such as a second air conditioner and/or television. I just want window awnings.
I posted my first message the same time that you defined you wants.

We ordered our trailer from the dealer. First you sit down with the dealer and define how you want your trailer built. Then they contact the factory, and based on what you want, the factory determines where in the assembly process they have a trailer they can be set up like you wish. They can then give you a fairly accurate delivery date. You and the dealer come to an agreement on the price and they order the trailer for you. The dealer has a list of all available options and the cost. It took about 6 weeks for our trailer to get to the dealer. however that included Airstream's annual 2 week vacation.

Ken
Old 08-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
"Livingston, TX" and "Don't want 2nd air conditioner" doesn't compute.

Seriously, though, you don't want a custom order really, just an order from the catalog with fewer options than the units your dealer has in stock. Consider negotiating on the price of those options that are already on the dealer's lot, since it might be worth quite a bit to them to sell a unit that's already on their lot as opposed to ordering another.

One other option if your dealer isn't cooperative is to contact one of the dealers that does lots of internet business like Colonial Airstream and see if they have a suitable unit on their lot already.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernviews View Post
Check your PMs....
Old 08-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
We were looking at a "custom" order too. But, to get pano windows in the bedroom of a 30'. There is an automatic $500 fee from Airstream just to have a trailer custom plus, the price of all of your custom work. If you only want "less" items in your trailer, you would be better off to call around the country and negotiate a good deal on one on a lot. Then just get rid of what you don't want. It's cheaper that way. Dealers don't make much on custom orders, I know that for sure. Don't think you have to buy in TX. We live in CO and are looking in Washington State, Canada and NJ. Good luck on your search and let us know which dealer you found that you really liked. If you want, I can PM you my experience with certain dealers that I have dealt with so far. Cheers!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
If you look at dealers north of Texas you will find many 27' with only 1 AC.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
2008 16' International
Dunedin , Florida
I would love to have the second air conditioner. I have had my windows tinted which has helped, but the one AC is just not enough on my travels back and forth from Oklahoma and Florida.
Terratravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
I would love to have the second air conditioner. I have had my windows tinted which has helped, but the one AC is just not enough on my travels back and forth from Oklahoma and Florida.
I full-time, going to the northwest in the summer and the southwest in the winter. But...I am rethinking the 2nd air conditioner. Things could change, like the price of gas, that would make travel less. I love having a second Fantastic Fan in the bedroom, but I know when it's hot one air conditioner doesn't cut it. The 2nd air conditioner adds around 100 lbs. It would be a plus if I want to resell the trailer. So, i am now debating whether to get the 2nd A/C.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Terretravels, have you thought about having your draperies lined with blackout lining? When I fabricated new draperies for our Safari, I lined with blackout, and we feel it helped tremendously.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
We factory ordered our 25' Safari FB and there was no $500 fee. In fact, since we made a cash deal, the dealer avoided flooring costs. I've factory ordered every car, truck and RV we've purchased in the last 25 years. I suspect the special order fee is designed to encourage a buyer to take something from the dealer's inventory.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
We factory ordered our 25' Safari FB and there was no $500 fee. In fact, since we made a cash deal, the dealer avoided flooring costs. I've factory ordered every car, truck and RV we've purchased in the last 25 years. I suspect the special order fee is designed to encourage a buyer to take something from the dealer's inventory.
The $500 charge is for ordering items that are not on the options list. There is no charge as long as you order things that are listed on the spec sheet as an option. For instance lets say I wanted closet doors with no mirrors. Since that wasn't an option, I would have had to pay $500 plus the parts and labor involved in the change. It's their way of trying to not get involved in customization. That's $500 per change, by the way.

The ordering process is very much the same as I have experienced at auto dealers.

Ken
Old 09-01-2012, 08:21 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
2008 16' International
Dunedin , Florida
Thanks Deb,
What fabric did you use for your black out lining? There are several choices...some look easier to work with than others. Also where did you purchase the fabric? I am making new bedspreads right now so I might as well do the curtains while I'm in the mood. ;-)
Terratravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Johnson City , Texas
I would get the second AC, I have a new 2012 25' and there were a few times, I wished I had a second AC unit! I don't normally mind the heat either! Good Luck!
screamstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

The second A/C is questionable, but how in the heck could anyone camp without a TV?

Ken
Old 09-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Terretravels.

I have a custom home furnishings business, so I order my linings, including blackout, from my suppliers.

What I used is called "Belle Notte", which is not washable, as most other drapery fabrics are not washable. However, I recommend all of my clients run a sweeper attachment over them ocassionally. I doubt if you can locate it retail, but you might be able to, also, you could check on the internet, just google "Belle Notte drapery lining". (There are also linings which are "dim out", not totally dark, but getting towards that.)

I'm not certain how much sewing you have done, but with Belle Notte, it should be handled, as far as the machine needle is concerned, in the same manner as leather or vinyl would be...............once the needle pierces the fabric, there is a tiny hole which will be there permanently. When Belle Notte first came out, it was said to be "self healing", but you can still see a very tiny hole when held up to the light if you remove the stitching and move the stitching "line". Most of my clients are high-end (million dollar + homes), and believe they check the work out closely, so tiny holes are not a good thing; I try to be very careful in my stitching.

If you'd like more information, or would like to purchase some through me, please PM me so we don't high-jack this thread. I mentioned the blackout on here because I thought it might be of interest to some others as well.

I don't recall where you are located, but we are going to be at the Highland Haven "rally" in September (Virginia), and if you are close, you could take a look at what we have to see if you are interested in using it.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote