Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
coto de caza , California
Orange County California

looking to begin the process of buying an AS.........any thoughts or opinions on dealers throughout So Cal? Good, bad and the ugly...thanks
pdl2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdl2win
looking to begin the process of buying an AS.........any thoughts or opinions on dealers throughout So Cal? Good, bad and the ugly...thanks

Airstream of California, in Fontana, does an excellent job.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Take your time

Quote:
The closest dealer to you is South West Coaches in Irvine, right off I5 and sand canyon at Travel Land. The service dept there is so so. The next closest is California RV in Fontana, again the service dept is so so. Either dealer is good from a buying standpoint, it will depend on the salesperson to some degree. Don't be affraid to look at all of the dealers within 1000 miles or so, at least for the unit you want and compare pricing. Remember, Airstreams are basically hand built, some better than others, I would not buy site unseen. Both local dealers have plenty of inventory to get your feet wet as far as getting a feel for the models and options.

Number one tip....read the forum, do your research, and take your time, and spend a lot of time looking and sitting in the different models. The forum can also help answer all the questions about other needs such as the proper tow vehicle.

Good luck.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:04 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
coto de caza , California
where do you go for service? see you live in HB
pdl2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
tustin , California
AS dealers

Good day,

We found our AS, a 27FBSE at Southwest Coaches in Traveland, located just of the 5 Freeway and Sandcanyon.

They have a pretty good selection to chose from and they will deal a little, the service department is just OK, we did have a few things to fix after our fist trip and they did take care of them.

We love our trailer and the great friends we have made, if you get one come to a CALIFORNIA STREAMERS rally, most of the rallys are with in 2 hours drive, good luck.
terrygaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Along with those mentioned is also Skyriver RV in paso Robles.

It really does not matter where you buy as all the local Service Depts are so so.

So what to do about service? most folks go to C&G in Bellflower which is an Airstream service center. They don't sell trailers they just fix them under warranty. After warranty you can keep going there or to Inland RV which does not do sales either. Both places know their Airstreams and have qualified techs. It's just which one you prefer.

So buy as low as you can and don't worry about their service Dept.

Let this be your invitation to all Calstreamers events too. No membership, rules or dues. Kids and pets welcome.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Bend , Oregon
Dealers

Be wary of Sky River in Paso Robles. Sales and service leave things to be desired.
jfowler218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Bend , Oregon
We bought our '07 at SouthWest Coaches in Irvine. We followed the advice of many on the forum and shopped the entirety of California as well as some dealers in nearby states. We got the best deal from our local dealer in Irvine. Plus, they had exactly what we wanted in stock. It was soooo nice to just drive ten miles to pick up our new baby! But like others say, shop around for the best deal, and don't be afraid to drive to it if you have to. Look at that as a great reason for your first Airstream vacation!

We have positive things to say about the sales experience we had in Irvine.

Send us a PM if you have any questions.

Welcome to Airstream family!
Sparkygus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfowler218
Be wary of Sky River in Paso Robles. Sales and service leave things to be desired.
I've bought two A/S's there. Very happy with sales and no experience with service.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
Cloud10

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fox Island , Washington
Hi,

We also bought at Southwest Coaches in Irvine. They had the model/style we wanted in stock. We probably didn't negotiate as much as we could/should have - but the overall purchase experience was fine. We have not used them for any servicing. As I recall they suggested taking the trailer to C&G in Bellflower.

For warranty related and other service we have had good experiences with C&G Trailer in Bellflower

You might find this thread relevant

Re: Sky River in Paso Robles - we've driven by and stopped in once - since moving up from LA to Santa Barbara. The last time we drove by we did not see any Airstreams on the lot - and their website only has one AS Trailer that I could find (Basecamp) - but a few AS Mohos. I would be interested to hear if anyone knows the scoop on Sky River, are they getting out of the AS Trailer biz?

Now that we are up in Santa Barbara, we are looking for closer sevice centers than Bellflower - maybe Ventura?
smccollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I live within 1 mile of Sky River.
Their inventory fluctuates with the season. They allow the A/S inventory to drop to zero or near so toward the end of the year. They currently have a number of them.
They have a pretty good sales staff over-all. You can occasionally talk to the "new guy" who really doesn't know his A/S from SOB. Talk to Mr McDaniels.
I haven't had any service work done and can't really comment on that - other than to say that I've heard that they are OK.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:38 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ventura , California
We purchased our A/S at Southwest Coaches. Decent experience in purchasing. However, their service department, especially the service writer(I forget her name) was horrible. To spend upwards of 50-60k on a trailer and be treated like you really don't matter is unacceptable. Actually, it's unacceptable no matter how much or how little you spend. The service that was supposed to be done was not done when it was supposed to be. This was discovered after driving an hour and a half to pick it up. I remember standing there in the sales office while the service writer actually raised her voice telling us to take our trailer and never bring it back to her service department again. Instead of apologizing for the miscommunication or lack there of. All the while the manager of the establishment stood there listening on, doing nothing. We left with our trailer, completely shocked and beyond mad. I will never recommend them to anyone. We now have our trailer serviced at C & G. They're wonderful to deal with.
1Bombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
where do you go for service? see you live in HB
We have had service at C & G as well as the Airstream Factory Service Center in Jackson Center, Ohio. Ohio is a bit of a drive, but there is no better service for an Airstream than Jackson Center. I mean no disrespect to Rod at C & G, they do fine work and are great people.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Is Southwest Coaches in Irvine the only Southern California dealer?

I want to look at new Airstreams but the Airstream dealer list only lists Southwest Coaches. There is also still C&G and Inland for service.

How competitive will they be with pricing?
Old 01-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLB21 View Post
Is Southwest Coaches in Irvine the only Southern California dealer?

I want to look at new Airstreams but the Airstream dealer list only lists Southwest Coaches. There is also still C&G and Inland for service.

How competitive will they be with pricing?
Unfortunately, two southern California dealers have recently closed up shop.

Economy, reputation, dissatisfied customers?????

One for the former and the other for the later, or so some posts have stated.

None the less, there is only one dealer left in southern California, and he has never been competitive, again as some stories go. High overhead.

Andy

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
With this economy keep searching, SW came highly recommended and they were not pushy. If you find a deal they may match it and they are the best choice. I wanted vintage and husband wanted new. Guess who won?? We love our gal and soon to be on the road. For service no one is meticulous maybe Ewe has good reviews he is in Orange but I am not sure if he is an authorized dealer. C and G are honest but a drive when you have a repair that needs attentiion again. also at 90 dollars a hour better to do as much as you can yourself. this forum is fantastic and the members are the nicest people you will find.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Just read today that Holland Motors in San Diego will be selling Airstreams. It will be nice to have a couple of places in So. Cal. to look at the new ones. I wish them well.

Service, well that takes years to learn. I'll stick with Rod at C&G if my wife talks me into buying a new trailer.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #18
Fulltimer

2005 28' International CCD
Long Beach , California
We purchased our A/S at Southwest Coaches. Very easy to deal with and friendly. They even game me tickets to an Angels game. It was an easy process, and like the other dealers at Travel Land they didn't sit out side like predators.
Regele1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Anaheim , California
I bought my 17ft AS Safari Sport at Southwest Coaches in Irvine, Orange County and have nothing but great things to say about the sales experience there. Bo Watson was a pleasure to deal with and let me wander around and see what I liked and was available to answer any questions I had. When I had made up my mind (with no sales pressuring) he assisted me through the process and I got way more extra's thrown in as well as offering me storage at the facility for 3 months until I found a suitable storage facility near my home.I will recommend them without hesitation.
I found the service department not as great , but since CG trailer works is close to where I live, I take my AS there in any case. CG are definitely the experts when it comes to sorting out ANY problems and they are extremely pleasant and helpfull people to deal with. Best of luck with your purchase of your new Airstream. I'm already considering a bigger model!
AirStrmFltRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Just Looking!

Hi, Southwest Coaches is a great place to look at Airstreams; And Bo is a great guy. When it came time to make an actual purchase, we bought from George Sutton RV in Eugene, Oregon. And made a vacation out of our trip home. We were unable to make a proper deal anywhere in California. And the California no sales tax deal is active again. It was stopped right after we bought our trailer and then re-activated about two years later. This rule could save you a few pennies, It saved us some coins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 092 (Large).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	73581   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 096 (Large).jpg
Views:	170
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	73582  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote