Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2024, 04:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
Normal for new trailer to arrive damaged or with leaks?

Hey all,

I was wondering how common it was to have damage on a new trailer that you ordered. Was damage disclosed to you or did you have to discover it? What were the options given to you once you found out there was damage? I am mostly interested in structural and leaks (panel replacements, bad seals, leaks, corrosion, etc.) And, if panels were replaced on your new unit were you consulted first or notified after? If your trailer had leaks, can you share what was determined to be the cause of the leak and the solution?
limonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 05:43 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
St Clair County , Michigan
The New Normal

After the recent Ohio Hailstorm of 2024, I have a feeling that this line of questioning is going to be quite commonplace. During normal times, new trailers are delivered with a shopping list of assembly "discrepancies".

Many people mistake an accurate assessment of reality for pessimism.
TR Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 08:03 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
I'm curious in general, more so prior to the hail storms. I am trying to get a better understanding of what the expectation vs reality is when it comes to a factory order trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Anderson View Post
After the recent Ohio Hailstorm of 2024, I have a feeling that this line of questioning is going to be quite commonplace. During normal times, new trailers are delivered with a shopping list of assembly "discrepancies".

Many people mistake an accurate assessment of reality for pessimism.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:28 PM   #4
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
I would expect a substantial price reduction on a “new” trailer with significant repairs.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:12 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
What would you consider significant repairs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeCamper View Post
I would expect a substantial price reduction on a “new” trailer with significant repairs.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:53 AM   #6
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by limonade View Post
What would you consider significant repairs?
Damage requiring significant repairs such as panel replacement, eg the sorts of problems you described in your first post: “structural and leaks (panel replacements, bad seals, leaks, corrosion, etc”

Actual damage. As opposed to design flaws and poor workmanship, which are warranty issues.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:40 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
I think so too. Hey, thanks for taking time to share your thoughts, I like to hear what others think and what their experiences are.

Quote:
Damage requiring significant repairs such as panel replacement, eg the sorts of problems you described in your first post: “structural and leaks (panel replacements, bad seals, leaks, corrosion, etc”

Actual damage. As opposed to design flaws and poor workmanship, which are warranty issues.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
3 years of fun

Had two new trailers and each had their own character of needed adjustments and repairs - NEVER AT THE DEALER!

However we have had excellent service at JC service center and met some rally nice people while staying for service. This is year 3 and I can say that we hope this is the last stop in June for warranty service.

We schedule a return date every year for items under warranty or needing service. I fix a lot of items but the factory techs are faster and better in my opinion.

Its gonna break, leak shake rattle and roll when new its part of the experience.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 04:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Ocala , Florida
We've ordered and taken delivery of two new and one used Airstreams, all from Colonial Airstream in NJ. Patrick is our salesman.

Our 2017 FC 27RBT had no issues. We ended up trading it for a 2016 FC 30RBQ. That rig was used, and the fridge was not working properly. Colonial replaced the fridge for us, no charge.

Our 2022 GT 23RBT we bought new year before last was also fine, with one exception. On the day of departure, staying at the dealership, I did a routine tire pressure check, only to discover a nail in one of the curb side tires. Unfortunately Colonial did not have a Goodyear Endurance to replace it with, so they moved the spare onto that roadwheel, gave me a non-GY tire on the spare, and said they would order me a new tire to be delivered to me in FL, and that they would pay for the mount and balance as well. Sure enough, the new GYE tire was waiting for us when we got back to Florida. I took the tire to my local tire place, along with the spare, and had them swap it over.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 09:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by limonade View Post
I was wondering how common it was to have damage on a new trailer that you ordered.
The key phrase is "That you ordered."
If it was ordered, the price has been set, you agreed, and the deal is done. The dealer is well within his rights to say, "We'll fix it". I don't think you'll hear, "We'll knock off $1000 and fix it."
I actually had this discussion with my salesman, which is why he always recommended buying off the dealer's lot.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 02:28 PM   #11
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
If it was ordered, the price has been set, you agreed, and the deal is done. The dealer is well within his rights to say, "We'll fix it". I don't think you'll hear, "We'll knock off $1000 and fix it."
I actually had this discussion with my salesman, which is why he always recommended buying off the dealer's lot.
But he didn’t order a damaged trailer in need of or having had major repairs. The price he agreed was for a new undamaged trailer. That’s the deal that was done. That’s what needs to be delivered. If it can’t be delivered, then the buyer has every right to reject. Alternatively the seller can offer a price reduction.

Again, here we are talking about significant damage requiring significant repairs. Not routine warranty issues.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:09 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
The trailers are hauled to your dealer on open backed trucks usually. They are subjected to road dirt, hazards, weather, and even crazier stuff. When they get to the dealer, it's their job to clean them up and fix anything that wen't awry during transit. Our 2019 had a bathroom door that sagged, a couple of gouges on cabinetry and dirt from someone who wandered in and laid (or slept on the bed). Everything else was just fine. We were able to deal with the dealer because the guy that originally owned it changed his mind.

Our dealer did fix the little things that bothered us; a drawer that wanted to be open all the time, a bathroom mirror that flopped down. Five years and we've had no leaks or serious problems.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 04:10 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
Hey, thanks for taking time. I wasn't talking about price. I'm more interested in people's real life experiences. Thank you for sharing your opinion, it helps me to gage what peoples expectations are.

Quote:
Old 05-10-2024, 04:12 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
Thanks for responding. I know, it's kind of crazy how much they go through, I think most trailers that go long distances to get to their dealerships pretty much experience a shake down. I am interest in more than cosmetic, such as structural etc. But, this helps me understand what people are expecting from their trailer when it arrives. And what they feel the dealership should offer, how they should deliver the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwebs View Post
The trailers are hauled to your dealer on open backed trucks usually. They are subjected to road dirt, hazards, weather, and even crazier stuff. When they get to the dealer, it's their job to clean them up and fix anything that wen't awry during transit. Our 2019 had a bathroom door that sagged, a couple of gouges on cabinetry and dirt from someone who wandered in and laid (or slept on the bed). Everything else was just fine. We were able to deal with the dealer because the guy that originally owned it changed his mind.

Our dealer did fix the little things that bothered us; a drawer that wanted to be open all the time, a bathroom mirror that flopped down. Five years and we've had no leaks or serious problems.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:15 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
Ah, this is kind of the bones of the question. I am wondering what people have experienced when it comes to this. How did the dealer handle this situation, were people notified or was damage not disclosed, etc. Thank you for your input. I think you clarified it more than I did. I am looking for expectations and real world experience.

Quote:
But he didn’t order a damaged trailer in need of or having had major repairs. The price he agreed was for a new undamaged trailer. That’s the deal that was done. That’s what needs to be delivered. If it can’t be delivered, then the buyer has every right to reject. Alternatively the seller can offer a price reduction.

Again, here we are talking about significant damage requiring significant repairs. Not routine warranty issues.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:17 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
Thank you for responding. It sounds like your dealership handled this so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jenkins View Post
We've ordered and taken delivery of two new and one used Airstreams, all from Colonial Airstream in NJ. Patrick is our salesman.

Our 2017 FC 27RBT had no issues. We ended up trading it for a 2016 FC 30RBQ. That rig was used, and the fridge was not working properly. Colonial replaced the fridge for us, no charge.

Our 2022 GT 23RBT we bought new year before last was also fine, with one exception. On the day of departure, staying at the dealership, I did a routine tire pressure check, only to discover a nail in one of the curb side tires. Unfortunately Colonial did not have a Goodyear Endurance to replace it with, so they moved the spare onto that roadwheel, gave me a non-GY tire on the spare, and said they would order me a new tire to be delivered to me in FL, and that they would pay for the mount and balance as well. Sure enough, the new GYE tire was waiting for us when we got back to Florida. I took the tire to my local tire place, along with the spare, and had them swap it over.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:21 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
That's interesting, why do you say never at the dealer? I'm curious if there was an experience that drove this decision? And were there issues that required adjustments and repairs upon taking delivery of a new trailer? Sorry, for so many questions, but this is helping me to understand why people advise going to JC vs. the dealership. I know a lot of us have had experiences, I'm interested in what others are or have gone through and how mine relates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
Had two new trailers and each had their own character of needed adjustments and repairs - NEVER AT THE DEALER!

However we have had excellent service at JC service center and met some rally nice people while staying for service. This is year 3 and I can say that we hope this is the last stop in June for warranty service.

We schedule a return date every year for items under warranty or needing service. I fix a lot of items but the factory techs are faster and better in my opinion.

Its gonna break, leak shake rattle and roll when new its part of the experience.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:33 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
I do have a few follow up questions, what if even after the repair, there is diminished value? Is that loss yours if the damage occurred before you took delivery of the trailer? What if the dealer cannot fix it to bring the trailer back to new condition? And, if you were to buy new off the lot, would you expect the dealership to disclose any major body work to you?

Quote:
Old 05-10-2024, 04:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
BUT…there is no requirement for the buyer to accept the trailer if it were damaged enroute.

If you bought a new vehicle….and it had suffered damage while shipped to the dealer…and the dealer fixed it prior to any purchase…. it is still a new vehicle….with all the protections/warranty/etc. I agree that the dealer has an obligation to reveal that to the person who ordered it. It’s less-clear if the dealer has that obligation to a buyer who views it on the lot and wishes to purchase it.

This may occur more than you might realize. It’s one reason rail-cars have resorted to enclosed car-haulers.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 04:49 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
Hey thanks for adding to the conversation,

what if the dealer did not disclose to the person who ordered it, the repairs they did?

For a new factory order, what if the dealership could not fix the trailer to like new condition, what would your expectations be?

And, what if you accept delivery and discover later the dealership knew about significant issues or damage, did not repair and didn't disclose even after specifically asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
BUT…there is no requirement for the buyer to accept the trailer if it were damaged enroute.

If you bought a new vehicle….and it had suffered damage while shipped to the dealer…and the dealer fixed it prior to any purchase…. it is still a new vehicle….with all the protections/warranty/etc. I agree that the dealer has an obligation to reveal that to the person who ordered it. It’s less-clear if the dealer has that obligation to a buyer who views it on the lot and wishes to purchase it.

This may occur more than you might realize. It’s one reason rail-cars have resorted to enclosed car-haulers.