Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2024, 09:12 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Orlando , Florida
We received our new 2023 Atlas Tommy Bahamas March 2023 from RV one Tampa. After our first trip, we found out that the bathtub is not draining and the door is leaking. Immediately requested a service at RV one Orlando. After months we moved it to RV one Tampa. We got our RV back only in May 2024 with new leaks in the shower area. We are going to Jackson Center in September to fix the issues. ��
dralanir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:43 AM   #22

Endwell , New York
Exclamation New Unit With Quality Issue Already

Just bought new 24 Pottery Barn and drove it from Orlando to NY and took it to Albany where they found that no sealant was applied on the driver side awning...they were surprised it had not leaked inside. I bought AS for the quality....i hope this was isolated incident.
Lloydknecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:47 AM   #23

2016 22' Sport
PARK CITY , UTAH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
The key phrase is "That you ordered."
If it was ordered, the price has been set, you agreed, and the deal is done. The dealer is well within his rights to say, "We'll fix it". I don't think you'll hear, "We'll knock off $1000 and fix it."
I actually had this discussion with my salesman, which is why he always recommended buying off the dealer's lot.
I have been in the auto industry for 35+ years. Any damage to a vehicle after it has left the factory, in this case the Airstream, must be disclosed by the dealer and it is up to the customer to determine if they are still willing to accept the product. It is clearly settled law in every state that any repair that is valued at 3% or more of the MSRP must be disclosed AND IS grounds for cancellation of a sales contract. There are exceptions for damage to glass and tires, but that is about it. That doesn't mean that some dealers will be forthcoming and transparent, but any significant damage to a new vehicle that was ordered does allow the buyer to reject and/or renegotiate. Also, the dealer disclosure must be in writing.
TMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:49 AM   #24
BML
2 Rivet Member

2024 28' Pottery Barn
FRESNO , CA
I had a new trailer delivered with damage - ( window replacement - not disclosed) , we found some broken glass by back bed, we kindly asked for our deposit back, they fought us for while, we got firm and said no thank you. got a call that evening from some GM of airstream west coast, asked about it, I explained, he filled my order with a 2024 model. We had picked out a 2023 with lots of price breaks - they honored our original price and sent one from the factory 3 days later. delivered directly to my house along with a salesperson to do the paperwork. for me it was all about, " I'm paying a lot of money and the unit your trying to give me has already had repairs... I'm out!". best of luck to you.
BML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:33 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
Since having been at the factory a month after the tornado/baseball sized hail event. Any new damaged trailer was either completely rebuilt or it was declared a total loss. No trailers that I am aware of were shipped out to customers if they had any damage, which by the way is standard operating procedure.

Also as part of my hail damage exercise, I spoke with a few dealers to hedge my bet on a new unit, in case mine was deemed a total loss. Some have far more robust acceptance procedures than others. For example, one dealer will not sign off on a delivery until the unit is gone over with a fine tooth comb taking hours of time the shipper has to sit there before the dealer will accept it. Others will do a quick look around and if it gets missed, it gets missed. Others have contracts and agreements if a unit is damaged, this is how we'll handle it as we use you exclusively.

I'll admit to not reading every post here, but if this is not pertinent, I apologize.

If a trailer is ordered and you placed a deposit on it. When you arrive to pick up the trailer, if it's damaged, you have the right to request it be fixed to your satisfaction, come to some mutual agreement that matches the situation, or decline the unit. I had an issue about 25 years ago, and in my case it was not body damage, so they fixed it and the deal went through. Had it been body damage, I would have outright refused it since the fix would have most likely been made with Olympic rivets. Nothing wrong with those, but on a trailer yet to be delivered? No way....unless.....

I am practicing what I preach here. My trailer was close to a total loss. First estimate to replace about 12 panels including the roof was $45k. To tear it down and use buck rivets was $59k. To do a buck rivet, the interior in the area to be repaired needs to be removed so that access to the outer skin from the inside can happen, also to add additional sealant that would not be possible with a remove and replace just from the outside. The insurance company agreed and my repair will be with buck rivets or they will total it out as I will not accept a trailer that was not as it was at the time of construction and/or purchase.
sfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 11:16 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
West Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by limonade View Post
I'm curious in general, more so prior to the hail storms. I am trying to get a better understanding of what the expectation vs reality is when it comes to a factory order trailer.
IMHO, there is a random punch list of issues for most/all new trailers. Wiring issues, things not screwed down, popped electrical connections show up at pickup. Advocate a few trips asap to find the hidden stuff like things not screwed down (cabinets, wiring, pet) unobvious leaks.

Strongly recommend not taking delivery if there are structural problems and/or systems malfunctions (Alde,CZone, blown breakers or fuses)

good luck
pboomerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 12:36 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Altadena , California
Leaks and electrical issues

Reflecting on my experience, it spans back a few years. Initially, I ordered a 2017 trailer and had reservations about some rivet seams upon its arrival. Consequently, I opted for a trailer from the lot, settling on the 2016 27FB International, which has proven to be reliable. However, the transparency of the dealer (Sky River RV) I purchased it from was lacking, particularly concerning issues addressed during servicing.

Within the first six months of ownership, I encountered persistent leakage problems, necessitating three visits to Sky River RV for warranty repairs, all without resolution. Additionally, they unsuccessfully attempted to rectify issues such as the sliding AC breaker panel damaging the floor and a malfunctioning trailer converter during my second trip. Needless to say, the initial year was exasperating.

Seeking a solution, I turned to Airstream Los Angeles, where all repairs were conducted meticulously and successfully under warranty. Since then, I've encountered virtually no issues post-bug-fixing, enjoying six years of trouble-free use, with only routine maintenance required.
Hootgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 06:53 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2023 25' International
Roseville , California
We have purchased two new Airstreams - a 2020 Flying Cloud 23FB and a 2023 International 25FB. Both had *significant* plumbing problems, which became apparent in the first 6 months. In the 23FB the connectors behind the sink were not connected properly, resulting in water leakage that necessitated removal and replacement of the bathroom - dealer did this under warranty of course, and it took about 4 weeks. In the 25FB, we had multiple plumbing problems - mostly that lines were not cut properly and were fitted together anyway, creating excessive stress in the system. We ended up leaking 10 gallons per day from the freshwater tank, and due to a separate plumbing problem, we were not able to refill it except with high hose pressure. Again, the dealership fixed it, but it necessitated dropping the freshwater tank to re-do the connections there, as well as other more minor changes. So we’re 0/2 on plumbing, for brand-new units. Happy with the dealer response, unhappy with quality that came out of the factory.
Eva316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 07:38 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
BUT…there is no requirement for the buyer to accept the trailer if it were damaged enroute.
Trailers get damaged more often than we think. It's the nature of how they're delivered, either on a flatbed or towed by a service as fast as possible. Airstream could reduce the number of dings, chips, etc by having some kind of protective wrap on the front. But I've never seen any.
By the time a trailer arrives at the dealer, he already has a major chunk of your money and a signed contract. You can say, "I don't want this one, bring me another." and he can say, "We'll fix it like new" but IMO he's holding the cards. $$$.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 09:32 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
Hey, What state and dealership did you purchase through?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BML View Post
I had a new trailer delivered with damage - ( window replacement - not disclosed) , we found some broken glass by back bed, we kindly asked for our deposit back, they fought us for while, we got firm and said no thank you. got a call that evening from some GM of airstream west coast, asked about it, I explained, he filled my order with a 2024 model. We had picked out a 2023 with lots of price breaks - they honored our original price and sent one from the factory 3 days later. delivered directly to my house along with a salesperson to do the paperwork. for me it was all about, " I'm paying a lot of money and the unit your trying to give me has already had repairs... I'm out!". best of luck to you.
limonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 09:33 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
What if they won't fix it like new? What would be the next step?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Trailers get damaged more often than we think. It's the nature of how they're delivered, either on a flatbed or towed by a service as fast as possible. Airstream could reduce the number of dings, chips, etc by having some kind of protective wrap on the front. But I've never seen any.
By the time a trailer arrives at the dealer, he already has a major chunk of your money and a signed contract. You can say, "I don't want this one, bring me another." and he can say, "We'll fix it like new" but IMO he's holding the cards. $$$.
Old 05-16-2024, 09:34 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
That is crazy! I wonder how it passed the water test at the factory? I'm not sure if you would be able to see a leak once the interior walls go up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydknecht View Post
Just bought new 24 Pottery Barn and drove it from Orlando to NY and took it to Albany where they found that no sealant was applied on the driver side awning...they were surprised it had not leaked inside. I bought AS for the quality....i hope this was isolated incident.
Old 05-16-2024, 09:37 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
I agree, adjustments are pretty normal. What about structural problems known to dealership but not disclosed. Wondering if that is normal practice? And what someone would do in this scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboomerx View Post
IMHO, there is a random punch list of issues for most/all new trailers. Wiring issues, things not screwed down, popped electrical connections show up at pickup. Advocate a few trips asap to find the hidden stuff like things not screwed down (cabinets, wiring, pet) unobvious leaks.

Strongly recommend not taking delivery if there are structural problems and/or systems malfunctions (Alde,CZone, blown breakers or fuses)

good luck
Old 05-16-2024, 09:38 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
This sounds really frustrating, what dealership are you working with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva316 View Post
We have purchased two new Airstreams - a 2020 Flying Cloud 23FB and a 2023 International 25FB. Both had *significant* plumbing problems, which became apparent in the first 6 months. In the 23FB the connectors behind the sink were not connected properly, resulting in water leakage that necessitated removal and replacement of the bathroom - dealer did this under warranty of course, and it took about 4 weeks. In the 25FB, we had multiple plumbing problems - mostly that lines were not cut properly and were fitted together anyway, creating excessive stress in the system. We ended up leaking 10 gallons per day from the freshwater tank, and due to a separate plumbing problem, we were not able to refill it except with high hose pressure. Again, the dealership fixed it, but it necessitated dropping the freshwater tank to re-do the connections there, as well as other more minor changes. So we’re 0/2 on plumbing, for brand-new units. Happy with the dealer response, unhappy with quality that came out of the factory.
Old 05-16-2024, 09:41 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
I wonder if the rivet seams in question were problematic from the factory or an undisclosed repair. Sounds like it was a good idea to opt for a different trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootgibson View Post
Reflecting on my experience, it spans back a few years. Initially, I ordered a 2017 trailer and had reservations about some rivet seams upon its arrival. Consequently, I opted for a trailer from the lot, settling on the 2016 27FB International, which has proven to be reliable. However, the transparency of the dealer (Sky River RV) I purchased it from was lacking, particularly concerning issues addressed during servicing.

Within the first six months of ownership, I encountered persistent leakage problems, necessitating three visits to Sky River RV for warranty repairs, all without resolution. Additionally, they unsuccessfully attempted to rectify issues such as the sliding AC breaker panel damaging the floor and a malfunctioning trailer converter during my second trip. Needless to say, the initial year was exasperating.

Seeking a solution, I turned to Airstream Los Angeles, where all repairs were conducted meticulously and successfully under warranty. Since then, I've encountered virtually no issues post-bug-fixing, enjoying six years of trouble-free use, with only routine maintenance required.
Old 05-16-2024, 09:44 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
I thought that was the case with a new factory order, but I'm finding out some dealerships require you to sign for them and not disclosing known damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfranklin View Post
Since having been at the factory a month after the tornado/baseball sized hail event. Any new damaged trailer was either completely rebuilt or it was declared a total loss. No trailers that I am aware of were shipped out to customers if they had any damage, which by the way is standard operating procedure.

Also as part of my hail damage exercise, I spoke with a few dealers to hedge my bet on a new unit, in case mine was deemed a total loss. Some have far more robust acceptance procedures than others. For example, one dealer will not sign off on a delivery until the unit is gone over with a fine tooth comb taking hours of time the shipper has to sit there before the dealer will accept it. Others will do a quick look around and if it gets missed, it gets missed. Others have contracts and agreements if a unit is damaged, this is how we'll handle it as we use you exclusively.

I'll admit to not reading every post here, but if this is not pertinent, I apologize.

If a trailer is ordered and you placed a deposit on it. When you arrive to pick up the trailer, if it's damaged, you have the right to request it be fixed to your satisfaction, come to some mutual agreement that matches the situation, or decline the unit. I had an issue about 25 years ago, and in my case it was not body damage, so they fixed it and the deal went through. Had it been body damage, I would have outright refused it since the fix would have most likely been made with Olympic rivets. Nothing wrong with those, but on a trailer yet to be delivered? No way....unless.....

I am practicing what I preach here. My trailer was close to a total loss. First estimate to replace about 12 panels including the roof was $45k. To tear it down and use buck rivets was $59k. To do a buck rivet, the interior in the area to be repaired needs to be removed so that access to the outer skin from the inside can happen, also to add additional sealant that would not be possible with a remove and replace just from the outside. The insurance company agreed and my repair will be with buck rivets or they will total it out as I will not accept a trailer that was not as it was at the time of construction and/or purchase.
Old 05-16-2024, 09:45 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
I'm wondering what happens if you discover the dealer knew of damage and did not disclose, and ask to return and they decline what the next options would be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMoney View Post
I have been in the auto industry for 35+ years. Any damage to a vehicle after it has left the factory, in this case the Airstream, must be disclosed by the dealer and it is up to the customer to determine if they are still willing to accept the product. It is clearly settled law in every state that any repair that is valued at 3% or more of the MSRP must be disclosed AND IS grounds for cancellation of a sales contract. There are exceptions for damage to glass and tires, but that is about it. That doesn't mean that some dealers will be forthcoming and transparent, but any significant damage to a new vehicle that was ordered does allow the buyer to reject and/or renegotiate. Also, the dealer disclosure must be in writing.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:35 AM   #38

2016 22' Sport
PARK CITY , UTAH
I'd say your options are to contact Airstream directly and ask for assistance or legal action. I do know that panel replacement is expensive and often Airstream and/or insurance companies will "total" a rig that has extensive damage to the panels because of the repair costs. In this case, just a couple of panels could push a repair cost over the 3% threshold for disclosure. I'd start with Airstream and see what they can do to help you. Dealers don't like bad press so reviews and posts about how the dealer treated you, a customer, might also motivate them to come to the table.
TMoney is offline   Reply With Quote