Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
No response from sellers on classifieds?

Is it typical for owners listing in the classifieds section to not respond to potential buyers? I've sent several inquiries on various trailers being listed for sale (very recent listings) and have never received a response.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . I had that happen to me a couple of years ago, only to find out they were not received because they were not actually sent. I was never able to determine if that was my failure or Airforums. This info I ascertained from a phone call to a poster. Just my experience, regards, Craig
Old 03-18-2015, 02:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Messages might go into spam folders for some reason. Happened to me with my For Sale ad on the site.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Seems to be a very common occurrence. Notice that many of those ads are placed by new members with no post. There needs to be minimum posting requirements before a new member can place an ad. That is a very common requirement on other boards.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
I think the minimum requirement should be a working phone number. That way you can be in immediate contact if indeed it is a real offering. That's how we contacted the PO on here when we bought our AS.

I think most classified posters on here who are serious about selling ARE listing their phone numbers.

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:39 PM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
I think the minimum requirement should be a working phone number. That way you can be in immediate contact if indeed it is a real offering. That's how we contacted the PO on here when we bought our AS.

I think most classified posters on here who are serious about selling ARE listing their phone numbers.

Dana
I agree that it's a sign of a serious seller when they post a phone number.

When you use the Classifieds form to send a message to the seller, you should see an alert above the message box where you typed in your message to the seller when you successfully send the message, AND you should receive an email at the email address associated with your AIRForums account shortly from "Notice <classifieds@airforums.com>" with the subject line "Airstream Classifieds Notice: Seller Has Been Emailed (Beware of Scams)"

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:54 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Yes - I did see that, so I feel reasonably comfortable that the message was sent. I guess I feel better that I'm not totally alone. Perhaps my inquiries were just not compelling enough :-)
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOskiBear View Post
Yes - I did see that, so I feel reasonably comfortable that the message was sent. I guess I feel better that I'm not totally alone. Perhaps my inquiries were just not compelling enough :-)
Another problem that's especially prevalent with those who join just to sell an Airstream is that they do not always mark it Sold when it sells. They may also be talking actively with a buyer or two and not acknowledging people who respond later on but not marking it sold until the transaction closes.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:20 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
We had several no responses also. Ended up buying from a seller that listed a. Phone number.
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I posted a for sale and half of the replies went into my junk file. Check your junk file. Was my fault I think. Peace,jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I got lucky my last sale and buy here. I posted my phone number with my ad for my Bambi II and received a call in less than an hour of posting. For the Safari I bought the seller also had their phone number posted. I was able to get thru to them within minutes of their posting the ad. Phone numbers work, they should be encouraged for all ads.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #12
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Based on what I see in many of the ads (duplicates, no pictures, pictures upside down, text in all caps, etc.) I think a lot of the ads are placed by people with very limited internet skills. I think the lack of response in a lot of cases is caused by internet neophytes who only look at their email once a week, have no idea how to find their spam folders, etc. etc.
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:11 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

beaumont , Texas
no response

I have that happen more often than not. I watch them everyday, I am always needing parts for the ones I am working on. Wish it were different, kinda seems silly to go to the trouble to post an ad and then not check it. Richard in Texas
Dixie722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:03 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wayzata , Minnesota
Interestingly, one seller who responded to my initial query then failed to answer what amounted to a slam dunk final question after which I was going to buy. I forwarded it again the next week but still nothing, while the listing remains active. And he has an Airstream business! Then about two weeks ago I queried with great interest about a package deal. No response; ad is still up. Something isn't working!

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." (E.B. White)
WendyW. is offline   Reply With Quote