Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2019, 07:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Kyle , Texas
Newbie Introduction

Good Evening!! Having lurked here for a couple of weeks, it's time for me to come out.
The wife and I are in the market for an AS . We're debating new v used (I have studied the forums), and I have no issue buying a clean used vehicle.
I intend to share the news on the way, but this last weekend's shopping trip was epic.

We went to a local (to me) Airstream dealer on Saturday, told the sales guy quite categorically we were looking, not buying... He didn't listen too well. So we left. Over dinner, we talked about what we liked, what we didn't etc and settled on the FC / Int/ Globetrotter models. So, on Sunday, we go back to see all the models and begin shopping dealers/online etc. Long long story short, we bump into the sales guy again (imagine that) and I asked him casually what pricing is. like : "we don't come off more than $3k" I was dying inside. So we meander a bit and he asks me what it would take to sign me up. Once again I tell him we're not buying. We go into the office and he starts to write me up, and brings in his 'Sales Manager (the Finance Director) who proceeds to tell me as we're not purchasing TODAY, he can't give me a price. I grab my keys and tell the Mrs we're leaving. He immediately shouts "I'll give you $10k off right now if you sign right now..."

I respectfully said 'no' and out we walked. (:37 am this morning I get a text from the sales man..... I couldn't stop laughing. Needless to say we're still shopping
Hodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:23 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
Dealer

I was probably in the same dealership and they told me on a follow-up phone call that the sticker was the minimum and that on some units they would get up to $5,000 more than MSRP.

He also stated that their customers units went to the front of the line for repairs. I saw the loaded key rack in their service area and I told him that wasn’t interested in their service.

He also asked me what would make me do the deal that day and I told him, he basically laughed.

Vogt Airstream in the DFW area is having an open house at their indoor sales lot this weekend. You might give them a try.
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:29 PM   #3
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Welcome to the forum. It's great to have you as a member.

The buying process can certainly be an interesting process. I've purchased a used 2009 25' privately and I've bought a 2018 27' Globetrotter new. There are pluses and minuses with each. But if buying new, most important is the relationship you establish with the dealer because you may be going back to him for service (unless you buy out of state). And if you are not comfortable with the sales process I doubt the service experience will be much better.

Of course YMMV!

Wishing you the best in your search!
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Great story. You have your thinking cap on straight.

On these types of things, the only time you make money (or fail to lose money) is when don't overpay when you buy.

If you need to trade up, trade in, sell, or have an insurance claim, the market sets the price you will get then.

We bought our first AS which was a "used" 9 month old model at a great price. Primarily because I had done tons of research and at that time knew that a dealer within a days drive still had an unsold New model same model year and what that was listed for. So we got a better deal than I had ever seen on the one we bought. Fast forward 2 years and it's in an accident at our storage place. We decide to trade it in along with the insurance check for a new larger AS. We didn't get as great a deal on that AS, but we did get a fair insurance settlement on the damaged one, and overall did fine on the trade. (again because we checked prices on a few dealers around the country)

Keep your cool and you will do fine.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:54 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Most Airstream sales staff would want to make some sales during this typical low sales time of the year. Its seasonal. They sure scared you away, and that is a poor way to treat a potential customer. In my humble opinion, I would think you should expect, depending on your local Airstream dealer, an actual purchase price between 16% to 20% off MSRP. This is just a guideline. Any salesman that starts out asking $5000 over the listed MSRP, you should avoid.

Hit up some of the higher volume Airstream dealers online, and discuss directly and honestly with the sales staff. Ask about financing. More importantly, make sure you get exactly what you want in an Airstream.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:23 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Kyle , Texas
Sooooo.....I respond to the text, and I say "to make me consider it, I want 2 AC's, full awning package, anti sway hitch and out the door price of $72k and he simply texts back : "no"
I have to say, I spoke with Airstream of DFW and Holiday World and they were both FIRST CLASS. I think we may be heading to Houston this weekend
Hodgey is offline   Reply With Quote