Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2008, 08:26 AM   #1
btr
1 Rivet Member

copley , Ohio
Newbie and Tow Vehicles!

Hi, so we're looking to get about a 26' Airstream to take to weekend sporting events (about 3-4 day long trips).

I have no idea what TV we'll end up with, because we're courting several auto sponsors who may or may not have a vehicle that can tow it! And it's likely we'll have a choice of which vehicle within that brand to choose from. I'd like to get a large SUV instead of a truck if advisable?

Any guidelines as to what I should and should not do? Seems very vague about what vehicles can tow which trailers, so I need some guidance. Sounds like just because vehicle "x" CAN tow say 7,500lbs doesn't mean it SHOULD tow 7,500lbs. I know wind, tow vehicle length, etc all play a factor along with weight, so how the heck do I know what to do???!!! Thanks!
btr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If you are looking to tow a 26 foot Airstream, it sounds to me like you are not going new or newer, but possibly vintage (older unit). Older units weigh less than new(er) units. Depending on what you'll be hauling, I would think a 1/2 ton would do the trick, or even a decent station wagon or sedan with solid engine/trans. Roadmaster, Caprice, Impala, Fleetwood all come to mind.

If however you are going to go with a newer unit, they are a bit heavier and I would then suggest looking at a 3/4 ton something (pickup, Suburban, etc)
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
We tow with the vehicle indicated below. This was a case of Horse before we got the wagon. Beware of short wheel base vehicles. ITs my own belief that U should not use anything less than half the weight of the trailer. Any 3/4 ton VAN/Suburban/Pickup or any of the full frame Stationwagons with the correct hitch will do the job. With anything smaller than 1/2 anything you will be sacrificing SAFETY for Fuel Mileage . NOT A GOOD TRADEOFF in my book. U are gonna get a lot of differing opinions on the Forums So let safety be your guide. I have 60 yrs experience with everything from farm wagons to 53 ft semi-trailers I have towed em all.
Best of Luck with whatever U decide.
Roger
PS Here we go again gang He kicked over that ant-hill again!
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
first step is to know the weight of the trailer fully loaded along with the tongue weight of the trailer.suvs tend to be heavier so you want to make sure you have enough braking power to stop everything in a panic stopping situation.for example i tow with a diesel excursion,the combined truck and trailer rating is 20000 lbs.this is the rating that the manufacturer feels the axles and brakes on the truck can handle adequately.since the truck has a gross weight of 9000 lbs this leaves a max towing weight of 11000 lbs for the trailer.alot of sound advice on these forums from people with many years of towing experience will tell you to not exceed 80 percent of gcwr,which in my case is 20000 lbs.my experience has taught me while towing that the stopping part of all the equations is the critical part .most 3/4 ton trucks have no problem pulling the load.hope this helps.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
Darien , Wisconsin
I would go with a 3/4 ton pickup, you can do it with it a 1/2, but I'd rather have more than not enough truck.

2008 F-350 Diesel
WBCCI # 4106

Steve & Jan
99Limited34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Welcome to the forum
I would have to agree with 99Limited34. Go with a 3/4 ton and you will enjoy the experience more. A diesel engine will also make the towing much easier. One word of caution (personal experience) stay away from the short wheelbase trucks. I know I have went overboard in pulling my 34 footer with a F 350, but then again, I always feel in control of the rig.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Your main question being 26ft trailer, what tow vehicle. You should be fine with a half ton truck or van.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by btr View Post
Hi, so we're looking to get about a 26' Airstream to take to weekend sporting events (about 3-4 day long trips).

I have no idea what TV we'll end up with, because we're courting several auto sponsors who may or may not have a vehicle that can tow it! And it's likely we'll have a choice of which vehicle within that brand to choose from. I'd like to get a large SUV instead of a truck if advisable?

Any guidelines as to what I should and should not do? Seems very vague about what vehicles can tow which trailers, so I need some guidance. Sounds like just because vehicle "x" CAN tow say 7,500lbs doesn't mean it SHOULD tow 7,500lbs. I know wind, tow vehicle length, etc all play a factor along with weight, so how the heck do I know what to do???!!! Thanks!
A 1/2 ton truck with a Reese 750 dual cam load equalizing hitch, would be perfect.

Do not install any air lifts, air shocks, or overload springs. To do so will defeat the purpose of the hitch.

Towing that trailer, without a superior load equalizing hitch, is an excellent way to spend some time in a hospital, or worse.

You might also want to check out your axles, before you make a trip.

Dura Torque Axle

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #9
btr
1 Rivet Member

copley , Ohio
Thanks for all the replies everyone, this sure is an active forum!

So if the GVWR on the trailer I'm looking at is 7,400......would using a larger SUV that tows 7,500 (like the new Kia Borrego V8) be a bad idea for any reason? It's not exactly the longest SUV, but meets the weight requirements supposedly.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Lombard , Illinois
I pull our 31 ft Sovereign with a 4WD Chevy Silverado 1500 (1/2 ton). I have not needed the 4WD at any campground yet, but do use it when hooking up at home. I could do it just fine without the 4 wheel drive, but I get in the grass a bit where I park our trailer at home, and having the 4WD engaged ensures I don't spin a wheel and tear up the grass.

When I tow, I use 2WD and overdrive, unless I get into really hilly areas. Check your owner's manual on this. Chevy says I can do it, but makes the same claim about downshifting if the transmission is "cycling" in and out of overdrive a lot (you know when this happens, because the tachometer jumps up and down a few hundred RPM, the sound of the engine changes, and you can feel it.). I also don't tow over 65 MPH ever. You can find several posts here that talk about tire rating and the like, but my reasons are fuel economy, and safety (should be the other way around - shouldn't it?).

I have owned as big as 1 ton trucks before, and as light as our 31 footer is, my 1/2 ton handles it just fine. If you look at some of the vintage sales pictures, most of these trailers were pulled by full size cars or station wagons in the 60's and 70's before SUVs were mainstream vehicles. I'm not trying to bad mouth anyone who uses a 3/4 or 1 ton to pull with. I am just saying that I don't plan on trading in my 1/2 ton for a bigger truck. It does the job just fine.

If there were two trucks you were looking at, one 1/2 and one 3/4 ton, and you had to spend more money for the 3/4 ton, if it were me, I would go with the 1/2 ton.

One closing thought. Whatever you buy, make sure it come with a towing package. Usually this means heavier duty suspension, shocks, springs, and trailer wiring. It is a bit more than just a receiver hitch.

Best of luck,

I have a picture of my Airstream in my wallet, and I'm sitting on it...

...If that's not love, I don't know what is!
Gael79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:40 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
I have towed my 23' safari with a 07 savanna van and it was nice but to ridgid for my setup. I reaquirerd my 02 4x4 burb 3.73 gear and love it. I just hope my 750# trunnion bars are not to much. I am no expert but if Andy says your fine with a 1/2 ton go with it. Why spend the $ on a 3/4.
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

So if the GVWR on the trailer I'm looking at is 7,400......would using a larger SUV that tows 7,500 (like the new Kia Borrego V8) be a bad idea for any reason? It's not exactly the longest SUV, but meets the weight requirements supposedly.
There are far more important considerations to make, besides the weight requirements, for a vehicle to be a "good" tow vehicle.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
There are far more important considerations to make, besides the weight requirements, for a vehicle to be a "good" tow vehicle.

Andy
Agree. Some of the important considerations are....

precise and accurate steering

taunt, quality 4 wheel independent suspension, not soft, not stiff

low centre of gravity

quality 4 wheel antiloc brakes that provide short stopping distances

transmission (the more gears the better, optimal gear ratios)

engine, reliable history, large enough to get the job done and provides good fuel economy

tires that are firm with little side play and provide good traction

frame or uni-body that is firm and flex free

handling and stability.... the vehicle needs to be stable and have the ability to safely perform emergency manpuvers. Vehicles that have electronic stability control and traction control are best.

safety features as in multiple air bags etc get priority

A vehicle you can afford, like, and will enjoy driving whether it is towing or solo.

wheelbase to over hang ratio, the higher the number the better.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Huh?

Quote:

Went to the Kia Borrego website and I can't seem to find any towing specs for this vehicle. Can you tell me where it says it can tow 7,500 lbs? Nor does it say what hitch/towing options it has.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:42 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
Darien , Wisconsin
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Tri View Post
Welcome to the forum
I would have to agree with 99Limited34. Go with a 3/4 ton and you will enjoy the experience more. A diesel engine will also make the towing much easier. One word of caution (personal experience) stay away from the short wheelbase trucks. I know I have went overboard in pulling my 34 footer with a F 350, but then again, I always feel in control of the rig.

I agree with 94tri, definitely go with the long wheelbase of a supercab or crewcab, they ride so much nicer when towing..A diesel in my opinion is the only way to go.. I've towed 31 and 34 footers with a gas F-250 with a 460 engine and finally got smart and got the diesel, there's no comparison.. The low end torque of a diesel can't be beat. My next tow vehicle will be either a F-350 or F-450 with a diesel...

2008 F-350 Diesel
WBCCI # 4106

Steve & Jan
99Limited34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:46 AM   #16
btr
1 Rivet Member

copley , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpandorf View Post
Went to the Kia Borrego website and I can't seem to find any towing specs for this vehicle. Can you tell me where it says it can tow 7,500 lbs? Nor does it say what hitch/towing options it has.
Kia Motors America

Check out the 4.6L V8
Old 11-10-2008, 06:09 AM   #17
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
It would help if you would tell us what year and model Airstream you are planning to tow.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:23 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Dont tow with a KIA. It is worse than the segioia (Toyota) Kia has had very bad luck with there brakes, when your at the service cenetr ask a mechanic without anyone around. I work for the company that has the contract of returning there brakes and trannsmissions to California's service and tech center. As far as charging you batteries taking hours with a tow vehicle, I did not experience that. maybe 20 min to top it off.
That is just my experience. As far as wireing of tow vehicle, I wired mine and used larger then reccomended guage wire. I also put an Isolator in, As a safety meassure. Didnt want dead batteries in the middle of no where. Triple A would never find me. By the way I would reccomend Triple A also. They are great for break downs, and discounts at NAPA
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote