Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2017, 07:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Wellfleet , Massachusetts
New unit on lot for 7 months?

Finally picking up our first Airstream on Thursday from Colonial in NJ....2017 Classic 30.

It is new but has been on the lot since November. Are there any things we should pay particular attention too?

I read months ago that some things on the early 2016s had issues that were resolved in later months of production...I think the alde heating system was one. (How can we check to see that whatever updates are necessary are made before we drive off?)

Also, is there an issue with a battery that is new but has been sitting on the lit for so long?

Other things?

Thanks for any and all advice!
Joellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:20 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Welcome and congratulations!

I can't speak to the Alde system, but I would make sure that the batteries have not been sitting in the trailer for 7 months. I think that dealerships put in batteries after they've been sold, but that might be wishful thinking. Batteries that have been depleted for that long are going to be bad. Our Interstates were bad and we ordered from the factory.

Be sure to post pictures, we have been drooling over the new classics!
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Ditto on the batteries.

Also, I'm not sure about this, so someone more knowledgeable chime in...what about the tires...just sitting there, possibly in the sun, and in one position for that long.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:09 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joellen View Post
Finally picking up our first Airstream on Thursday from Colonial in NJ....2017 Classic 30.

It is new but has been on the lot since November. Are there any things we should pay particular attention too?

I read months ago that some things on the early 2016s had issues that were resolved in later months of production...I think the alde heating system was one. (How can we check to see that whatever updates are necessary are made before we drive off?)

Also, is there an issue with a battery that is new but has been sitting on the lit for so long?

Other things?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Check the bathroom mirror by the sink and look for 3 reflective plugs. If they are there then you have the mirror fix to prevent it from falling off. If they are not there then I would run a clear bead of silicon adhesive all the way around the perimeter.

Look at the Alde heater/pump under the front dinette seat. There should be a mixing valve with a black cap right near the aisle. If its not there, thereis a service bulletin - take it in to get it installed.

Those are the only two factory fixes I can recall . Check the threads for other DIY fixes: pads on pantry handles to keep refrigerator door from denting, nylon spacer under shower door, screws on bathroom shelves to keep them from falling, etc
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Good advise from Pete B55. The very early 2017 Classics had no mixing valves. It's an easy add by a knowledgeable dealer and should be done at no cost. It's under the front dinette seat and as noted is a black knob.

You may want to go to the Classic Thread here in the forums for quite a bit of information on some of the "oddities" of this trailer. Once set up properly, by us, we have found the 2017 Classic to be the best Airstream we have had and this is our forth.

2020 28' Twin Flying Cloud-(Our 5th Airstream)
2021 F350 6.7 King Ranch
USAF Master Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
. . .
You may want to go to the Classic Thread here in the forums for quite a bit of information on some of the "oddities" of this trailer.
. . .
Here is the Classic sub-forum FYI:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f540/

. . . which includes a very long ALDE thread and many others.

Good luck with the new Classic, Joellen!

Cheers,

Peter
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Tires wear out whether they are used or not, particularly if exposed to the sun. While getting some other work done, I asked the mechanic to check things over in general, and he pointed out cracks in the tires, so we replaced them, even though they probably had less than 10,000 miles on them and good treads. Also, I've heard that it is not good to leave the tires in one place for long periods of time. I'm sure 7 months of inactivity isn't enough to wear out tires, but they might wear out sooner than you would expect.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Colonial will have your trailer set up and plugged in, ready for your walk-through and they'll be happy to let you camp there for a night (I did, for 2 nights actually since I arrived the evening before my walk-through.) The weather was nice and cool at that point, so I unplugged the trailer and monitored the batteries as I was "faux boondocking" as a rough guesstimation about the state of the batteries. It's a good chance for you to take a longer time to touch everything, use every switch and hinge and latch and valve and take notes about anything you want them to address.

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:24 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Santa Rosa , California
Sun damage is an issue - look for cracking. Tires wear rolling or not. To determine if they have been compromised more than normal, ask or check air pressure. A tire which sits at max rated air pressure wears less. Sounds like a great rig!
JohnCaliAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:06 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Wheatley , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Colonial will have your trailer set up and plugged in, ready for your walk-through and they'll be happy to let you camp there for a night (I did, for 2 nights actually since I arrived the evening before my walk-through.) The weather was nice and cool at that point, so I unplugged the trailer and monitored the batteries as I was "faux boondocking" as a rough guesstimation about the state of the batteries. It's a good chance for you to take a longer time to touch everything, use every switch and hinge and latch and valve and take notes about anything you want them to address.
x2, definitely take advantage of spending at least one night in your AS to try everything out. I certainly did when I picked up my 2015 Internatinal 27, however could only find one minor issue. Patrick is easy to deal with and I would rate their dealership TOP notch. Also, the warranty starts the day you are buying it, so you will have your full 2 years...Enjoy! ps the Interstate batteries however have only a ONE year warranty, ask me how I found out!
lovetokite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Tires sitting without moving for months can develop flat spots, especially GYM's. Have them balance the tires or go to a tire store ASAP.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Fresh batteries and tires.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote