Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2017, 08:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Aurora , Colorado
New to forum

Hi all,

I am excited to be here. I have always loved the Airstreams, especially seeing them being towed down the road with the sun reflecting off of a shiny exterior.
I have yet to get one but I am looking.
I do have several questions, there are so many sub forums, I hope I am in the correct spot.
I am looking at a 1970 Sovereign, doing my research NADA has the average cost at ~$2k with a low of ~$1700, and a list of $~9500. The AS pictures I am looking at, shows the interior as needing refurbished. It is listed as being fair, needing a renovation, or fix some items and use as is.
How do I approach purchasing a trailer.
With so many trailers outside of Colorado, I am interested in, how do I go about doing my research? I would not want to take a week to drive to Florida, just to realize the trailer is not what I am looking for or cannot make a deal. That would be a week plus expenses I would be down and would need to do it again in the future.
Thanks for a great forum and for any help you can provide.

Todd
Tridaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Todd, welcome to Airforums!

It just so happens you are in the wrong sub forum This is the Motorhome side of the house. I'd like to be able to help you but I know little or nothing about Airstream trailers.

Good luck in your search!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Nevermind.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
A moderator can move your thread, kist send one a PM pricate message. When you look at isers online, the mods are boldface.

And NADA is virtually iseless for pricing Airstreams. It is rare for anyone to find the right unit at a good price quickly... so do a lot of tire kicking locally to get a feel for the good deals vs. the stinkers. AND read a lot about restorations here to make sure you know what you will be facing with a vintage Airstream
Old 03-07-2018, 05:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Tridaddy,

Welcome to the forums and good luck with your search. As discussed, prices are difficult to pin down and NADA doesn't do justice to current values. Browse the classified section of the forum and read the many threads on purchasing and restoring vintage trailers. The simple bottom line is the better and more solid the frame and running gear are the higher the price and smaller the restoration expense (generally). The difficulty is assessing the frame, since it is usually fully enclosed by the belly pan.

Keeping reading and looking around. If you spot one far from home, you may be able to find a local inspector here on the forums that can take a look and give you an opinion before you travel across the country to look at it.

We've found the folks here very helpful and supportive with any questions. We've also enjoyed the project phase of vintage Airstreaming almost as much as traveling. Here's a link to our most recent restoration, if interested, https://www.airforums.com/forums/f39...er-155180.html

Good luck, enjoy and ask questions along the way,

Roy and Marie from Pennsylvania
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote