Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2016, 06:39 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I had zero issues with my 2017 Serenity 28 delivered in August 2016. I am not a previous owner, but I had two months to learn everything I could about the trailer. I told my dealer I wanted 4 hours for delivery. I sent him my checklist and told him I would be using it. They respected my requests and spent all of the 4 hours working with me and my wife to ensure we were happy with our new AS. It was a very good experience. Were there little things that needed some tweaking - yes but nothing that couldn't be quickly done. My message is prepare prepare prepare and drive the delivery. You are signing the check. You have all the leverage.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:50 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Congratulations Rich!

Have you watched any Colonial videos walking through a 23D? Here is an International Signature (did not see a FC version) 23D which may give you some ideas of things you would like your dealer to cover.

[click on link at the top of the frame to open up a new window with Full Screen etc. options]

As someone else said, having a good dealer, sales rep, and service dept. is key to many years of happy AS camping. In addition to the walk-through I would encourage you to meet as many people as you can, and get their contact info. incl. email addresses. The real learning will begin after you get home and start camping next season, so having good contact information will help down the road. Try to establish a personal relationship with the service men and women especially, and be sure to send them a thank you note/email after you get home. Having them remember you will help in getting advice later when you need it.

Have fun!

Peter

PS -- Here are Colonial's new trailers for sale -- they also have a list of used ones, but not all have videos.

http://www.colonialairstream.com/newinventory.html
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Thanks everyone,

Well we got her home and it was a real good experience (accept the drive home). I am sure we missed a bunch, but I must say I was very impressed with the service Dept, the cleanliness of the AS, and the quality.

I had my 19 year old daughter with me, she video taped everything. The service guys got me a mat so I wouldn't get dirty when I went under. They brought me a ladder, to get up on top, and were very patient as we spent over an hour crawling through the rig.

We couldn't find anything wrong accept the following:

- some smudges of grease on the toilet
- one closet door hinges were loose and needed tightening
- one closet did not have the rubber bumpers installed.
- the kitchen sink faucet was dripping antifreeze.
- the tongue jack had a scratch on the housing
- the cabinet above the dinette where the DVD player is, has a small microphone on the top ledge, there is some indented scratches if you look close in the veneer.
- the storage under the bed was not vacuumed and cleaned thoroughly, some saw dust present

All the equipment worked like a charm, furnace, fridge, etc. the only thing we couldn't check was the hot water heater, and with the storm coming today, I didn't want to fill her up, and go through another round of winterizing. They told me to come back when it gets warm and they would go through the hot water and anything else I forgot or wanted to learn again.

The techs were awesome, patient, and really took their time to go out of their way to get everything ready. I was impressed. Also, the cleanliness was great, they had cleaned and prepped everything. Very little debris or dust, even in storage and wheel well areas. Doors all latched, lined up perfect, and worked. All lights, switches etc worked. Maybe they are getting it together in the factory, or maybe because it is the slow season, the techs were bored and wanted something to do. SIDE NOTE: I will get under the hood and look at all the electrical wiring and such tomorrow, but it seemed very organized, strapped and secured well, and in black tubing, etc. not the rats nests others have stated. We will see as I get into it over the weekend.

We also purchased a WD hitch, and equalizer, and we went through that. I do question if this was set up optimally, but will eventually check at scales when fully loaded. Oh, not impressed yet with the rear view camera that came with the rig. I think I need to adjust it, all we could see was the curve of the top of the roof and a few feet behind the road. Needs to be angled up more I think.

If anything was lacking, it was the description and hand off of the owners manuals and materials. It was late, dark, and rush hour in Denver, I just wanted to leave (we spent 4 hours there including finance and insurance). Going through all of those documents now. For those interested we went with progressive, they had the best deal and total recovery, based on purchase price, not depreciated value.

The ride home was brutal, stressful, and scary. It was rush hour in Denver, and it took us nearly two hours to drive What is normally a 50 minute ride. Start and stop, a few accidents, People cutting in and out etc. so I feel battle tested, that's for sure. The 2014 Grand Cherokee worked well, handled well, and after two hours I felt competent. I don't think my break controller was setup optimally as well, need to work that.

Arriving home, backing into tight drive went well. Years of boat trailering paid off. I thought I was special and wouldn't need a spotter. WRONG.... daughter did outstanding job and we got her into the perfect spot. I don't think I would ever back this thing up without a spotter in a tight spot.

I'm sure we will find more issues, I plan to tear through her again tomorrow. 9 degree weather and snow right now... not ideal to start a solar upgrade. If I think of anything else I would have asked or done, I will post up.

thanks again for all the great input, I used it all.

Thx
Troutboy, aka Rich
Old 12-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Rich for the update! Glad you are home safe and sound, and ready for having fun with the new Airstream.

I had a similar white-knuckled baptism by fire when I towed my first AS home, a long long time ago.

Happy Trails!

Peter
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:02 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Nice to hear you got that unit home safely. I pulled out of Colonial Airstream in Jersey when we got ours, sheesh, it is nerve wracking.

There's an abandoned toll booth on the way from Jersey in to Pennsylvania, the concrete entry barriers to the ghostly toll booth are all smashed up, chipped, rubber marks, scrapes etc. along them, and narrow to boot, dang, those high energy drivers stuck behind me just had to wait til I got that wide body through there!

I too think my back up camera is too low, I went up there to try and adjust it but it's already set as high as it'll go, so I gave up on it. I presume I could shim it or some such, but it ain't gonna happen soon.

I had a few little items come up in our first summer with our flying cloud, but minor stuff. Having some troubleshooting and mechanical skills is of benefit when rv'ing.

Don't hesitate to call your dealer if something comes up, talk to the service techs, I've found them at Colonial to be extremely helpful.
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:04 AM   #26
2016 19ft flying cloud

Spokane , Washington
The first time you fire up the furnace , it might take awhile for it to ignite
Just be patient,,,it takes awhile to get the gas thru the pipes the first time
And be prepared for a learning curve with the thermostat ,,it took me several weeks to finally figure it out,,,read the manual and don't be afraid to ask for help on this forum,
I finally had to reset mine,since I screwed it up pushing buttons the first week of ownership
And both the furnace and hers pump were coming on at the same time .
Lots to learn ,,but it's an adventure as my wife calls it
Any help please feel free to contact any of us

Ken
(Also a new owner)
Spinonedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:32 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Walk through

I assume your walk through went well. I for one found it overwhelming and that coupled with my general impatience left me with the same reaction I had when taking delivery of a new car - "I'll read the book(s)". Of course I still have not made it through all the material we received with my wife's new Subaru in May. Anyway, no matter what. you'll find yourself visiting the dealer again to tweak one thing or the other. Good luck!
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:33 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Majoriarhead,

I was able to adjust the camera today. The eat screws were in the wrong "track", when I reversed them, I was able to get more adjustment height. Maybe that is the same for yours. Being placed in the wrong track, they were limited in adjustment. This is hard to explain on a forum. Take all set screws out, rotate the camera up a little, place screws in tracks, and they should be good to go.

Thx
Troutboy, aka Rich
Old 12-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #29
2016 19ft flying cloud

Spokane , Washington
New trailer has Bluetooth

Here is a challenge for you to work on.
Your new trailer has Bluetooth capability, that means you can stream music from your iPhone to your stereo system, it actually works good ,,my wife downloads podcasts to her phone before we leave on a trip and then she will stream them to the stereo while we are camping,,,,Amazing technology in a trailer ...we had been tent campers for 43 years before we got our AS last May,,,,you are going to have a blast

Ken
Spinonedad is offline   Reply With Quote