Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2020, 08:49 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Newark , Delaware
New or Used? This is the question!

Hello all. My wife and I will be new to the Airstream family soon. We are in a bit if a quandary with deciding on new or used. Currently looking for a Globetrotter 23 with twin beds.

They are a few 2020 options on Airstreamclassifieds that we have contacted. However, we also have the option of buying a new 2021 Globetrotter 23FBT with a full warranty and include solar system, tankless HW heater (standard on 2021), the microwave convection option and electric stabilizer bars (4). Of course, we could also choose the exact color patterns for interior. Current time frame is order in November and receive new AS delivery sometime in June or July 2021. This is with full warranties in place. We have already negotiated $12,000 off list price ($99,900) so 12% is not bad in this current high demand market. However, I feel I can probably close closer to $85,000 for a brand new 2021. We are ok waiting as in northeast, and not much camping this winter anyway since we will be new to the AS life.

The other option is to purchase a used 2020 Globetrotter 23FBT. There are several available and I assume the 3 year limited warranty will transfer balance on the trailer itself and appliances most likely do not transfer. We don't really need the trailer immediately so waiting is ok, but if the right deal came by, we may jump on a 2020. We would not get the 24 hour support on used as we would if buying new from the 5 Rivet AS dealer in NJ, so that is also of concern since this is new to us. However, I imagine that the 2020 model had an MSRP around $94,000 while 2021 is $99,900 including solar. If I am getting around 15% off the 2021 new, I imagine that those that purchased the 2020 also worked a similar deal which would be around $80,000 purchase price new last year. I would hope those trailers would be sold at even a small reduction from paying price last year so maybe $75,000. Not sure on that price.

This is our dilemma. Any guidance at all would be most appreciative! Either way, we look forward to joining the AS family!
DPettoruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Normally, I would advise you to buy used for a variety of reasons that would normally make this a no-brainer. Chiefly, a used trailer is going to have all the bugs already worked out of it, and you’ll avoid all the myriad frustrations and delays that are associated with paying top dollar for an unfinished, hastily assembled disappointment. Plus, of course, you save a substantial chunk of change and avoid a huge depreciation hit. Financially it has always made more sense to purchase used.

What is the one thing different about 2021 that may make a huge difference from this rule? Airstream has finally addressed one of the biggest Achilles heels of its trailers by replacing the rotten (literally) bug and varmet-vunerable plywood subfloor with a one-piece composite floor likely to last for decades! Airstream started implementing installing composite floor in late 2020 models. If you can confirm that your candidate used trailer has this composite subfloor installed, that would be your best case scenario.

By the way, the jury is still out on the tankless water heater option. In fact there are some Airstreamers requesting the tankless water heater be replaced with a conventional RV water heater for several reasons, among them: a conventional RV water heater will end up using less water and be capable of using electricity to heat the water, a far cheaper and more convenient option then being a propane only heater; A tankless water heater is less than ideal if you enjoy Boondocking often.

Best of luck and welcome to the wonderful world of airstreaming!
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
You say there are a number of them available. OK, the deciding factor for me, if I were buying an almost new used trailer, is the cost. How much can you save? Secondly I would consider what are the things on the trailer that you REALLY want. It sounds like you have negotiated a pretty good deal considering the shortage going on. Then there is the issue of buying from a dealer which is usually a good thing. Taking it back to where you purchased it is often an advantage.

Not much help from me, after reading this. It is a very personal decision. Another advantage of getting a used one is that you can have it parked at your place quickly. Since you are in no hurry to get a trailer, this might go against buying used. Best wishes to you. Please post back here and let us know what you decided.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:37 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
Newark , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
Normally, I would advise you to buy used for a variety of reasons that would normally make this a no-brainer. Chiefly, a used trailer is going to have all the bugs already worked out of it, and you’ll avoid all the myriad frustrations and delays that are associated with paying top dollar for an unfinished, hastily assembled disappointment. Plus, of course, you save a substantial chunk of change and avoid a huge depreciation hit. Financially it has always made more sense to purchase used.

What is the one thing different about 2021 that may make a huge difference from this rule? Airstream has finally addressed one of the biggest Achilles heels of its trailers by replacing the rotten (literally) bug and varmet-vunerable plywood subfloor with a one-piece composite floor likely to last for decades! Airstream started implementing installing composite floor in late 2020 models. If you can confirm that your candidate used trailer has this composite subfloor installed, that would be your best case scenario.

By the way, the jury is still out on the tankless water heater option. In fact there are some Airstreamers requesting the tankless water heater be replaced with a conventional RV water heater for several reasons, among them: a conventional RV water heater will end up using less water and be capable of using electricity to heat the water, a far cheaper and more convenient option then being a propane only heater; A tankless water heater is less than ideal if you enjoy Boondocking often.

Best of luck and welcome to the wonderful world of airstreaming!
Thanks for the very informative information. I will certainly look into the composite flooring aspect of the "newly" used models available. The HW heater comment is also interesting. I am going to research that in more depth. I think it will come down to price on the used. With being our first, I would prefer to start used and WHEN we get a knack and fall in love with the AS life, we could always upgrade down the road if desired. All the best! David
Old 11-16-2020, 09:39 AM   #5

Currently Looking...
Newark , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
You say there are a number of them available. OK, the deciding factor for me, if I were buying an almost new used trailer, is the cost. How much can you save? Secondly I would consider what are the things on the trailer that you REALLY want. It sounds like you have negotiated a pretty good deal considering the shortage going on. Then there is the issue of buying from a dealer which is usually a good thing. Taking it back to where you purchased it is often an advantage.

Not much help from me, after reading this. It is a very personal decision. Another advantage of getting a used one is that you can have it parked at your place quickly. Since you are in no hurry to get a trailer, this might go against buying used. Best wishes to you. Please post back here and let us know what you decided.
Thanks for your insight. I agree that it most likely will come down to price at this point. I can have a used AS serviced at the NJ dealer, but I am sure I will fall back down the line when it comes to wait times. That is a trade off that we will discuss before making a final decision. Price is of utmost importance. I will report back when we make our final decision. All the best and Cheers, David
Old 11-16-2020, 10:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
I would always buy used (lower price, some issues already worked out, you can *see* what you're buying, etc.), but I realize different people make decisions for different reasons (new= pristine condition, having a dealer and warranty to work with, choosing options and colors, etc.). All that said, be aware that the estimated delivery date will almost certainly not be met, and you might not have your Airstream until October or November when the camping season is pretty much over. Buying (ordering) new could mean not actually camping for another full year.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:26 AM   #7
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
I NEVER buy new ... house, truck, Airstream etc... just be circumspect, do the research, use you head over your heart and save thousands of dollars.....
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:54 AM   #8

Currently Looking...
Newark , Delaware
Thank you both kidjedi and drbrick. Much appreciated and used may be the way to go. These gently used AS go fast so I have to jump on it!
Old 11-17-2020, 10:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
We have had both new and used...there are + and - to both....really, depends on what your most concerned about. Advantages to 2017 or newer "used" AS's of course, includes ducted AC, LED lighting, and some other cosmetic changes...including the Twin beds in the GT models they introduced couple years ago. I am not convinced on the tankless water heater either...the plywood floor in a "newer" vs 2021 model likely will not be an issue IMHO.

What I will say, is size and your use model becomes very important in your decision. (Are you going to use it allot for long term camping or just weekend getaways?) Many of us have purchased, then moved up to another model or size within a couple years of first purchase. I have seen many folks who get a 23' and find they really want/need a 25' after a few trips or seasons camping..(in our case we have owned 3-25's different models, and now have a 28' which we got new.) Good thing about AS's is new or used...if you take care of them, they usually can be re-sold without much $$ loss...(assuming you didn't pay list price!)

By the way, I love the 23'GT Twin...my brother in law is getting one!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:31 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
Buy a lightly used one if it meets most of the options that you want. Many smaller issues will have been corrected and you have money left over for improvements or accessories.
Sport 16 STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Foothill Ranch , California
We literally walked in your shoes earlier this year!

All of the comments previously mentioned are spot on. But here are a few additional things to consider.

The three year warranty isn't for everything. Some components (fridge, AC, stereo, etc) that were provided by other firms have their own SHORTER warranty.

Solar - Two considerations. First, if you aren't going to boon-dock frequently (i.e. the majority of the time you camp) and you have access to electricity wherever you are going to store it, it's a waste IMO. You'll spend less on a very efficient, quiet Honda generator (that can be converted to LP, so it can run off your coach's LP tanks) and with a MicroSwitch installed on one or both of your ACs (strongly recommend 2 AC's if it's an option) can easily power your entire rig - even at night. Secondly, the solar option offered by AS is not all that great by any yardstick IMO. The panels aren't very efficient, and they don't maintain their rated output for very long as years go by. Plus if you really want a robust system you really need to go to lithium batteries (more than AS offers) and a more efficient inverter and power control module. The good news is that AS pre-wires all coaches for solar, so the worst part of the job is already done...but you really want a system tailored to YOUR exact needs so you investment performs exactly as you want it to.

Pre-Owned (i.e. Broken in) - We purchased our coach used, it was just barely a year old. In going through the manual, I found copies of the repair orders the new owner left behind. Granted, they were very picky (thank God!), but the issues that they had to get fixed ranged to minor (all flooring was left with a sticky film everywhere) to the someone major/costly (flooring was very creaky in bedroom and main awning was defective). More importantly, the time the coach spent "down for repairs" was measured in months, not days! I'm not bashing AS, as all coaches have "teething problems" and I really thing AS is far better than most. But we dropped off the coach to have some of those warranty items done (and a bunch of minor items too) and they had our coach for 29 days...and didn't finish half of them (including one major one - awning replacement) because they were too busy/COVID issues, and we had an event we had to take our coach to.

Don't forget cost of money. Right now, interest rates are unbelievably low. Who knows what they'll be at in 9 ~ 12 months? All those savings you've made could be in jeopardy if rates surge higher.

Another thing I strongly recommend - find a local AS chapter and join! We went to an event to have the prior owners sign some documents and joined them for the day. Then, after we purchased the rig, we literally picked it up from them and took it straight to the chapter rally. We learned more from all those wonderful members in that weekend than I did from reading every single manual (twice) - and when challenges came up (couldn't get LP going to any part of the coach) we had four different members with in-depth knowledge I couldn't have paid for if I tried. And even better, our chapter does something once a month ... so "practice makes perfect" we've attended every month's event and have become far more comfortable with our coach, and learned a ton about improvements, "what not to do's" and a ton of additional things. In three months, this chapter as become our second family - banishing my wife's initial fear of "won't RVing be a lonely experience?" HA!

BONUS TIP - Go to youtube and look up "Keep Your Daydream" - They recently purchased a 2017 AS and have chronicaled their experience with it - and a TON of helpful hints. Plus, in some three short years they've owned everything from an off-road tear drop (with jeep) to a massive 5th wheel (with F-450)....so they provide an awesome, balanced overview. And their just plain fun to watch!

We're sure you'll find the AS experience as welcoming as we did. Looking forward to seeing you on the road soon!!!
Mark of SJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:18 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard 👍

Another vote for hardly used...most of the bugs will have been chased out. Some other poor soul swallowed the depreciation and if you are new to the lifestyle, escape will be easier to rationalize if it ever get's to>>>>><<<< "What the hell was I thinking".

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-17-2020, 12:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Another vote for hardly used...most of the bugs will have been chased out. Some other poor soul swallowed the depreciation and if you are new to the lifestyle, escape will be easier to rationalize if it ever get's to>>>>><<<< "What the hell was I thinking".

Bob
🇺🇸
Yea I agree with Bob. Both AS models (2017 Bambi 16' and 2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB) were bought used. I just picked up the FC last month. Most of the bugs were fixed and I just took FC to shop for a week to fix a few bugs plus Solar panel installation. all is left is replacing the rear stabilizer that previous owner damaged at no cost to me. The Warranty has been transferred to me which would last till 2022. Bought FC waaaaaaaaay below NADA guide to around &14,000 less. Bought it from a private seller. Dealing with a dealer may be different but may offer you some discounts or free stuff.

Now if you are not in hurry, most private sellers may not wait that long. Then again, maybe there would be more newly used Airstream trailers for sale after an impulsive buying period during COVID-19.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:36 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
New or Used

More than one somebody advised us, “Don’t buy new. Let the first owner find the loose screws.” OK, we’ll look for a one-year-old trailer and hope she’s broken in but not broken down.

Our Shakedown Cruise took us through the western states where we logged 7,000 miles. Sadly, more than a few loose screws tumbled into view, including things as serious as refer refusing to work on LPG.

Here’s the problem with the “loose screw” theory: if you’re new to the game, as were Roberta and myself, you won’t know a loose screw from a tight one.
For newbies, an orientation to a trailer—new OR used—should take a day minimum, with only a short break for lunch. Orientation MUST include hitching up, driving a few miles, backing (husband and wife signaling to each other), unhitching and leveling.

Heft your Airstream satchel full of appliance guides and whatnot. What is it, two, three pounds? You’ll be advised to read everything, a next to impossible task, really, but you should definitely dig out a check list or two. They’re all over the place on the internet and in the "Newbies Guide to Airstreaming." A second orientation day might not be long enough to compose an honest Pre-Flight Check List of your own . . . and understand it . . . and practice it, if only to get home with your precious acquisition.
John & Roberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:27 PM   #15
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
If you are going to buy used ask to see all the maintenance records. Notice any item that gave persistent trouble, such as leakes from rain or plumbing. Make sure there is no hidden floor damage. Use a moisture meter carefully. Find a good Airstream inspector to go with you on the prebuy. If everything looks OK then place a deposit on it before someone beats you to it. Today's used market is tight because of the high demand for Airstreams.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
New or Used

DPettoruto, Roberta and I were advised, “Buy used. Let first owner find the loose screws.” Well, if you’re new to the game, here’s a simple fact: a new RVer will not know a loose screw from a tight screw, even if placed in his or her outstretched hand.

If you buy new, expect a FULL DAY’s orientation. Nothing less will do. Imagine buying your first computer. What, an hour in the store with a glib salesman, and you’re all set? ARE YOU KIDDING.

Much more the case with RVs, including the supposedly very high quality Airstream line of products.

John designed and built custom homes for 35 years, doing all the mechanical trades (electrical, plumbing, heating). You’d think he’d be ready for trailering. Well, he certainly wasn’t afraid to give it a try. But, but and but.

Big differences—houses don’t hit potholes at 60mph and houses don’t depend on 12-volt systems with their “converters” and “inverters” and battery drain. Then there’s the rapidity with which RVs gain and lose heat, with all that implies.

This game is definitely not for sissies—
John & Roberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Unless you are planning to keep the trailer go 15 or 20 years I wouldn’t put too much value on the composite floor. As the owner of two used trailers both over 15 years old I never had the floor rot out from under me. Simply a matter of keeping tabs on the condition of the interior and reacting to issues you find. JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:57 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Tipton , Iowa
Just a suggestion to purchase used...use it for a couple of years, then you will know better what you want and need in a trailer. You will be surprised what experience will teach you. Then, look for new. You will save yourself depreciation on a new trailer that you will probably want to trade in anyways!
Scott S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #19
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Skyguyscott gave the best answer on subfloor in the new AS. Most of the folks we hang around with in th AS life have gently used trailers. ALL have concerns about leaks and rotting subfloors.
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Until July we were fulltiming very happily in a 1993 motorhome that cost $350,000 new. Our towed is a car that had a sticker price of nearly $50,000. We bought both used and are very thankful there are people who have the means to buy expensive things new so that those of us with less money can enjoy them later.

We're currently not in the market for anything, as I can't leave the temporary part-time job I have, but we're hoping that we can make a switch in the summer. When we do, the 2015 MKT will be traded for an F250 of about the same vintage and the 1993 Foretravel will be sold, to be replaced by an early 2000's Airstream. Total cost will be about $50,000 or maybe a bit less, offset by the sale of the Foretravel and trade-in of the car.

As I said, we can't afford to buy new things, so we're very thankful there are those of you who can. I suspect that there will be some year-old RV's for sale this spring and summer as people realize that they aren't using them as much as they thought and that they need maintenance, too - just like anything else.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote