Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-18-2024, 06:38 AM   #1
Hi Ho Silver!
 
Stevienext's Avatar
 
2024 25' Trade Wind
Sherwood , Wisconsin
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 58
Blog Entries: 1
Negotiating the price of a Trade Wind

Anyone get a lower price on their 2024 TW than the sticker? If so, can you share some negotiating tips?
Stevienext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 08:36 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member
 
2005 25' Safari
Brooks , Georgia
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 210
Blog Entries: 1
I was wondering the same thing. Keep us posted if you buy one. I like the trailer but the price is too strong for me.
Slimpockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 09:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
JeffKim's Avatar

 
2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,149
I don't know specifically about the TradeWind, but if there are a number of posts that report discounts of up to 20% off list. We bought our Globetrotter a year ago and got 15% off. I'd also shop around, our local dealer wanted list price but Woodland in Grand Rapids was substantially lower. It was a 12-hour drive there from Minnesota, but an adventure, and they were exceptional.
__________________
2023 Globetrotter 25FBT "Curly"
2017 Audi Q7 3.0T
WBCCI 6343
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 02:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
Silver Shell's Avatar
 
2024 25' Trade Wind
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 81
I ordered mine a few days after it was announced and got it for 12.5% under MSRP. I’m sure I could have saved more if I waited for the initial news to fade but I was all in. As the latest model that’s in high demand, I don’t think you’ll get the best deals on it. Could probably get a Pottery Barn at a hefty discount as the demand has dried up on that one.
__________________
James
2024 Trade Wind 25FBT (Silver Shell)
2023 Rivian R1T (XJ-9)
WBCCI #28504
Silver Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 03:25 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
2024 28' Flying Cloud
Jackson , New Jersey
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 234
Need a hefty discount on a PB - they are quite spendy.

Speaking of the PB, would it have killed AS to put a 8k or 8500 pound chassis on it? The CCC on them are pitiful. My DW LOVES the way they look and feel, but I'd never buy one. I don't want to play the CAT scale game every other outing.
__________________
2023 F250 Lariat Supercab SB 4x4 7.3l 3.73 148 WB

Ordered: 2024 FC 28RBT, currently at the dealer !

S1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 04:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,228
Interesting. I just talked to a dealer today who only sells Airstreams. He doesn't even take other brands in on trade. He said he generally sells new ones for about 20% off the MSRP paper posted in the trailer. He also said he only keeps about 10 trailers in stock - the ten most popular ones.
__________________
David Lininger, kb0zke
AIR 54240
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 05:37 PM   #7
New Member
 
2024 25' Trade Wind
Gilbert , Arizona
Join Date: Apr 2024
Posts: 3
Yes, I purchased a Trade Wind below the sticker price, but I did so on the dealer's timeline.

I submitted my future interest in a Trade Wind (or maybe a 2024 Basecamp) to a dealer in person. Two months later, I received a call asking if I would be willing to purchase a Trade Wind within a week because the customer who made the order could not attain financing. (The discount offered was over $21,000 or about 16% below MSRP). It wasn't the most convenient purchase/sale for me or the dealer, but we're both happy.

Good advice on the other posts as well.
JD Tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 06:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
hikingcamera's Avatar

 
2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevienext View Post
Anyone get a lower price on their 2024 TW than the sticker? If so, can you share some negotiating tips?
I think I probably could have done better. I got 10% off MSRP and negotiated up my trade in value to the point that Im not sure whether the private sale price would exceed the tax savings for trading it in. The dealer has made some other accommodations for us in the deal, but I wonder if I could have done better still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1njin View Post
Speaking of the PB, would it have killed AS to put a 8k or 8500 pound chassis on it? The CCC on them are pitiful. My DW LOVES the way they look and feel, but I'd never buy one. I don't want to play the CAT scale game every other outing.
Trade Winds also have pitiful payload. 768 on ours. Take 325 off that for water weight. Not cool. Same axles, brakes, and plenty of payload on the tires as the 27 and 28 models. Airstream wont tell me what about the 27 and 28s make them have a higher payload.

A somewhat loosely connected aside, Id been eyeing the Bowlus Rivet. Even pricier than the Trade Wind, less windows, and a bit less interior foot print, but 3500 lb GVWR, 2800 UVW and 300 lb tongue weight. And even more aerodynamic than the Airstream. It would sure be nice to just drop it on the ball without the mess of a WDH. And the construction appears to be heads above the Airstream. Plus the foot shorter in length would be nice from a parking standpoint for us. But even less payload. Though also less water storage, so maybe a wash. Wife doesnt like it though, she prefers the Trade Wind, and probably better for a family setup anyway. Still, it tempted me.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 07:22 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
 
2024 28' Flying Cloud
Jackson , New Jersey
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingcamera View Post
Trade Winds also have pitiful payload. 768 on ours. Take 325 off that for water weight. Not cool. Same axles, brakes, and plenty of payload on the tires as the 27 and 28 models. Airstream wont tell me what about the 27 and 28s make them have a higher payload.
The PB stuff or swag weighs a lot. When I was looking at one, even the sink cover weighed a good chunk more. All that glitz comes with a weight penalty. They sure are nice to look at and sit in though. I might have been swayed if they had some CCC on them.

Comparatively speaking my FC is spartan. Formica weighs less then solid surface. But - Ill have healthy carrying capacity out of the gate.
__________________
2023 F250 Lariat Supercab SB 4x4 7.3l 3.73 148 WB

Ordered: 2024 FC 28RBT, currently at the dealer !

S1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 08:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
hikingcamera's Avatar

 
2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1njin View Post
The PB stuff or swag weighs a lot. When I was looking at one, even the sink cover weighed a good chunk more. All that glitz comes with a weight penalty. They sure are nice to look at and sit in though. I might have been swayed if they had some CCC on them.

Comparatively speaking my FC is spartan. Formica weighs less then solid surface. But - Ill have healthy carrying capacity out of the gate.
Yeah, for the Trade Wind its the batteries. That adds a ton of weight. Though they do use flexible solar panels which saves on weight. But even our old Flying Cloud 23 CBB with no added options from the factory had only a 930 some payload. Better, but still lacking, IMO. Adding a bike rack on the back was just out of the question, wed never have the payload to justify it (despite being quite tongue heavy to balance bikes on the back). Even more so with our Trade Wind. :shrug:
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 01:05 PM   #11
Hi Ho Silver!
 
Stevienext's Avatar
 
2024 25' Trade Wind
Sherwood , Wisconsin
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 58
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
Interesting. I just talked to a dealer today who only sells Airstreams. He doesn't even take other brands in on trade. He said he generally sells new ones for about 20% off the MSRP paper posted in the trailer. He also said he only keeps about 10 trailers in stock - the ten most popular ones.
Do you mind sharing the dealership name and location?
We might want to throw our business his way! 😃
Stevienext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 01:08 PM   #12
Hi Ho Silver!
 
Stevienext's Avatar
 
2024 25' Trade Wind
Sherwood , Wisconsin
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 58
Blog Entries: 1
Talking price on 2024 Trade Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpockets View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Keep us posted if you buy one. I like the trailer but the price is too strong for me.
We're negotiating tomorrow (Monday) with salesman; I'll keep you posted!
🤞
Stevienext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 01:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,132
Let me ask a question re; the 768 lbs of payload on the Trade Wind. When you hook up with weight distribution, would the tongue weight be added to what you could carry as payload since that weight is taken off the RV axles and carried by the TV? Then, when you are parked that tongue weight is absorbed from the axles by the jack stand and stabilizers?
__________________
2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
Equal-I-zer Weight Distribution attached to the Gen-Y Torsion Flex Weight Distribution Hitch
"Roadrunner"
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 03:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
JeffKim's Avatar

 
2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,149
Just wondering and playing devil's advocate. I really like TradeWind and I think it's the direction future trailers are going and it has a lot of good ideas. But if price is an issue, then is there something about it that makes it far superior to upgrading another model to lithium and the extras as needed?

Sure, I'd like to have all that battery and solar and the 3000W Multiplus, but then we don't really need it. We do a lot of boondocking and occasional BLM but with 4x100Ah batteries and 700W solar we're good for a week or more with our 12V frig, computers, Starlink, etc. and we have 1,200lbs of payload.
__________________
2023 Globetrotter 25FBT "Curly"
2017 Audi Q7 3.0T
WBCCI 6343
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 04:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
hikingcamera's Avatar

 
2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKim View Post
Just wondering and playing devil's advocate. I really like TradeWind and I think it's the direction future trailers are going and it has a lot of good ideas. But if price is an issue, then is there something about it that makes it far superior to upgrading another model to lithium and the extras as needed?

Sure, I'd like to have all that battery and solar and the 3000W Multiplus, but then we don't really need it. We do a lot of boondocking and occasional BLM but with 4x100Ah batteries and 700W solar we're good for a week or more with our 12V frig, computers, Starlink, etc. and we have 1,200lbs of payload.
Because of how the Trade Wind is designed, with the batteries under the frame just behind the axle and then fresh water between the axle, it has a factory listed hitch weight of 725 and an effective loaded hitch weight of 850–900 in the field. This is easily 200-lbs ore more lighter than the other 25s out there. Had it not been for that, we probably would have looked for a used 25 and upgraded the internal components (though I’m not certain our dealer could have done all the upgrades we wanted, so we may have needed to do some ourselves or find someone who could or accept a lesser product).

Also, to be clear, the upgrades you’d need to match the Trade Wind would be:
  • expanding lithium battery bank (and moving it inside)
  • reconfiguring the roof to fit 600 watts of solar
  • adding a Victron Multiplus, Cerbo, and touch screen
  • adding a shower meiser to the indoor shower, outdoor shower, and both sinks
  • rewiring all the outlets to the Multiplus
  • adding a DC to DC converter
You might not find you need all that (shower meiser on just the indoor shower, for instance, is probably plenty for us, don’t need all outlets invertered, etc.). But just wanted to be clear on how much modification would go into a new trailer. Done by a dealer, I’m sure this would be $20k+

Honestly, if my wife were not dead set on the more windows and bigger footprint of the Trade Wind, I’d be seriously considering jumping up the price a bit more and pre-ordering the Bowlus Rivet so that I could forgo weight distribution hitches, making moving it easier, and not worry about as much about tow vehicles in the future.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 06:12 PM   #16
Hi Ho Silver!
 
Stevienext's Avatar
 
2024 25' Trade Wind
Sherwood , Wisconsin
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 58
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpockets View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Keep us posted if you buy one. I like the trailer but the price is too strong for me.
If interested, here are the negotiating tips that worked for us:

Find out what other owners of the model in question paid (not dollar amounts, necessarily, but how much off the MSRP). I learned here on the forums that people got anywhere from 10% to 15% off.

Don't agree to anything the first day on the lot.

Get quotes from more than one dealer. It's perfectly fine if they know you're getting quotes from other dealers. Maybe even preferable cuz they'll realize you're shopping around and aren't in a hurry.

In our case, the first dealer's quote was 13% off MSRP. We said we'd think about it and discuss, and at this point, told him we were waiting on another quote from a different dealer. After learning that the second quote was not as good (only 10% off MSRP), we contacted the first dealer and said we were thinking 15% off. He said he had to check with the general manager. He called us later and it was a deal!

We're not experts, by any means. Someone else may have been able to get 20% off, but since we only knew of 15% being the top discount so far for a new model which is sought after, we decided to take it.

Hope this helps someone else!
Stevienext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 06:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,228
Negotiating the purchase of an expensive item is always interesting. There are dealers out there (maybe even some who sell Airstreams) who always have the lowest price - but have little to no service after the sale. That may work for an RV that doesn't have any warranty left, but could be an issue for a new one.


Another factor to consider is that when you buy a new RV you are expected to return to the selling dealer for warranty work and regular service. Consider these numbers: $175,000 trailer, dealer A offers 15% off and is local, dealer B offers 20% but is 500 miles away. That 5% difference amounts to $8,750. At 10 mpg going the 1,000 miles round trip to dealer B costs 100 gallons of diesel. At $3.50/gallon that's $350 per trip. Add to that the two nights in a hotel (with attendant meal costs) and that $8,750 gets chewed up fairly quickly.


Now, for a full-timer, that may not actually mean anything. If you buy your trailer from the cheapest place and may never be back there again, but will either do your own work or have it done wherever you may be when it is needed, you may well be ahead to seek out the lowest price.


Now, how do you figure that lowest price? If I have a trade-in, the only number I care about is the amount of the check. I really don't care if I get $35,000 off the price of the trailer and $10,000 for my trade-in or if I get $10,000 off the price and $35,000 for the trade-in, I'm still taking $45,000 off the MSRP.


Long story short, consider not only the bottom line for the deal but also any service/warranty costs involved.
__________________
David Lininger, kb0zke
AIR 54240
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 10:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master
 
hikingcamera's Avatar

 
2024 25' Trade Wind
Seattle , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
Consider these numbers: $175,000 trailer, dealer A offers 15% off and is local, dealer B offers 20% but is 500 miles away. That 5% difference amounts to $8,750. At 10 mpg going the 1,000 miles round trip to dealer B costs 100 gallons of diesel. At $3.50/gallon that's $350 per trip. Add to that the two nights in a hotel (with attendant meal costs) and that $8,750 gets chewed up fairly quickly.
Airstream's warranty applies to any Airstream dealer. Aside from the initial purchase, you don't need to go back to the same dealer you bought from. And often extended warranties (as offered by my dealer) expand your service options even beyond Airstream dealers (though still better to not get the extended warranty and put that extra money into investments that will grow instead, warranties are a gamble that covered things will go wrong outside the standard warranty but within the extended warranty).

Trade in value is important if you think you can sell your trailer for more privately than the trade in value plus tax saved. For us it was a question whether we could, and the risk involved in such a big purchase/sale made trade in make more sense.

That being said, my dealer has been quite good about warranty work, even at times where there was some question whether we were in warranty or not. Don't get me wrong, they are still expensive and getting their cut, but their service is quite good, and they own up when things go wrong on their end. Which is big in my book.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 09:57 AM   #19
Rivet Master
 
JeffKim's Avatar

 
2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,149
Agree with @hc, repeating from above, we bought from a dealer 12hrs away and saved a bundle over the local guys and some other closer options. Even with a 5% difference that's still a good amount of money. However, we ended up going to JC for warranty work (I think our dealer would have done a good job as well). With our less than stellar experience in the past with the local AS dealer guys, I'd spend the money and drive somewhere else for warranty work. In any case, with a good local dealer, I'd still shop around and have them do the service.

I do hate the trade-in game where they give you more for the trade-in but then less of a discount on the new one. In our experience, we had a 2-year old Bambi we paid $55K for and the dealer was offering $30k for it without a purchase, we ended up selling it to a private party for $52k.
__________________
2023 Globetrotter 25FBT "Curly"
2017 Audi Q7 3.0T
WBCCI 6343
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 11:27 AM   #20
Rivet Master
 
KK4YZ's Avatar
 
2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
Negotiating the purchase of an expensive item is always interesting. There are dealers out there (maybe even some who sell Airstreams) who always have the lowest price - but have little to no service after the sale. That may work for an RV that doesn't have any warranty left, but could be an issue for a new one.


Another factor to consider is that when you buy a new RV you are expected to return to the selling dealer for warranty work and regular service. Consider these numbers: $175,000 trailer, dealer A offers 15% off and is local, dealer B offers 20% but is 500 miles away. That 5% difference amounts to $8,750. At 10 mpg going the 1,000 miles round trip to dealer B costs 100 gallons of diesel. At $3.50/gallon that's $350 per trip. Add to that the two nights in a hotel (with attendant meal costs) and that $8,750 gets chewed up fairly quickly.


Now, for a full-timer, that may not actually mean anything. If you buy your trailer from the cheapest place and may never be back there again, but will either do your own work or have it done wherever you may be when it is needed, you may well be ahead to seek out the lowest price.


Now, how do you figure that lowest price? If I have a trade-in, the only number I care about is the amount of the check. I really don't care if I get $35,000 off the price of the trailer and $10,000 for my trade-in or if I get $10,000 off the price and $35,000 for the trade-in, I'm still taking $45,000 off the MSRP.


Long story short, consider not only the bottom line for the deal but also any service/warranty costs involved.
Who said youre expected to return to the selling dealer for warranty? We bought our AS at Colonial in NJ even though we live in N Georgia. The dealer in metro ATL, Southland, was happy to perform warranty work for us. Why? They get paid for warranty work by AS and build a service relationship with me to get out-of-warranty service business, which they have.
Maybe some dealer(s) want to turn your warranty work away, but Id be skeptical of them for that reason.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Negotiating Price in the Covid Era LeppeL COVID-19 Discussion Zone 48 09-14-2021 03:23 PM
Negotiating price on a '15 Scout 16' ViscousCycle Dollars & Cents 28 11-02-2014 10:14 AM
Price/Negotiating results FYI Howard L. Buyer Guidelines 5 07-21-2012 03:11 PM
Negotiating with Insurance Company davenpow Insurance & Claims 1 03-26-2010 04:11 PM
Buying '69 Sovereign for full-time home, negotiating purchase price dingding Member Introductions 2 03-20-2007 07:15 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.