Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2019, 03:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Richland , Washington
Need clarification from satisfied and dissatisfied owners

Hi all- we have had a 2012 20’ Flying Cloud for 5 years. Bought it used and have had no major problems-we are wanting to go bigger as we now have a small dog and while we really like the 20’- it’s just too small. We are debating between a brand new model or a good used one- possibly 25’. Love being part of the Airstream family.

We keep reading about folks who are buying new Airstreams and complaining about quality and consistency of newer product. We don’t hear much from satisfied owners of new Airstreams- are you out there? Should we go new or try and get an older model that might be better constructed?

We welcome your thoughts.
caronair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:47 PM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
We have a 2018 27' Globetrotter that we bought new. We have had very few issues with our AS. One piece of moulding came loose and reattached it. We had a few screws come loose which I also repaired. I had it to Jackson Center to repair a major dent in the skin caused by me and while there they replaced a latch that was not working correctly.

But other than these rather small problems all is well. If I was in the market I would not hesitate to buy a new AS. And they now have a three year warranty. Buying from a reputable dealer is also important.

All the best!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:59 PM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by caronair View Post
Hi all- we have had a 2012 20’ Flying Cloud for 5 years. Bought it used and have had no major problems-we are wanting to go bigger as we now have a small dog and while we really like the 20’- it’s just too small. We are debating between a brand new model or a good used one- possibly 25’. Love being part of the Airstream family.

We keep reading about folks who are buying new Airstreams and complaining about quality and consistency of newer product. We don’t hear much from satisfied owners of new Airstreams- are you out there? Should we go new or try and get an older model that might be better constructed?

We welcome your thoughts.
If you can afford it then buy new. Our International had very few issues that were handled quickly by the dealer (Can-Am). With new you know if everything is as it should be.

Some people will advise by used because any issues will have been taken care of. OTOH you could end up buying someone else problems.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:55 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
DFW , Texas
We bought our Classic 33 new from Vogt Rv in Fort Worth. A handful of minor stuff within first 60 days but given this is our 5th RV and first trailer, we are very pleased with buying a new Airstream and Vogt RV.
no_worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Same as above with our 27 International Serenity from Chillhowee in Knoxville TN
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:47 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
West Chester , Ohio
2018 27FB Tommy Bahama

Biggest issue with our unit was a leaking kitchen faucet that developed around the end of our first season with it. As others have said, buy new if you can afford it and buy from a good dealer. If you buy new, you know all the history about it you can also buy exactly what you want not just what you can find!

Have fun with whatever you decide and hope to see you down the road (we have two Labs and moved from a 16' T@B to the TB, we understand the need for more space)!

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2020 GMC 2500
LeatherDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 07:32 PM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by caronair View Post
We keep reading about folks who are buying new Airstreams and complaining about quality and consistency of newer product. We don’t hear much from satisfied owners of new Airstreams- are you out there?

Yes. But, it depends on your expectations.

Airstream (Thor) is part of the RV industry. They are better than most, but still have the problems endemic in the industry as a whole.

If you buy new, expect there to be problems that have to be addressed under warranty. Allow time for that. Have a relationship with a dealer who will be on your side, or if you purchase from someone on the other side of the country, make allowances for the problems you'll have.

And expect that you'll do a certain number of minor repairs yourself, for things like doors that won't stay shut.

Quote:
Should we go new or try and get an older model that might be better constructed?

Airstream's quality problems are not new or recent.

A trailer a few years old may have had its problems fixed if it had a caring owner when new. But many trailers for sale were owned by someone who never really used them and so would not have known what was wrong let alone insisted on warranty work.

Go back farther, and new-build problems are replaced by problems with weak designs and components so there are still things to repair, door hinges and latches, rear end sag, fridges that don't refrigerate, etc.

In this modern age we are spoiled by cars that you can buy new and reasonably expect will need nothing for the first 100,000 miles (except maybe tires and oil changes). RVs aren't like that, even Airstreams, they are not built in that sort of environment or to those sorts of standards. Expect it, live with it, and move on.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:49 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Reno , NV
Another satisfied owner of a new 2019 International 25 footer checking in. Our batteries were boiled dry when I picked it up. But nothing else so far. I'm 3 hours from the dealer, so unless there is something major, I will probably just try to fix it myself in the future. This is our third trailer and by far the best built with quality components. I think the dealer makes the biggest difference and if they do a good check before the PDI.
Runs_4_beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:05 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Murrieta , California
Purchased ours brand new and have owned for just about a year and towed it 8k miles and few minor issues that dealer promptly fixed. Best RV we have owned!
Night owls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:13 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
2019 FC25FB from Airstream of Utah. Completely satisfied and no problems at all. Just passed one year of ownership and the only issue was the winterizing valve put in backwards at the factory. More of a giggle than a problem. Didn't even keep me from winterizing, just made it entertaining. Three day fix from the dealer.
thezoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:37 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Richland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
We have a 2018 27' Globetrotter that we bought new. We have had very few issues with our AS. One piece of moulding came loose and reattached it. We had a few screws come loose which I also repaired. I had it to Jackson Center to repair a major dent in the skin caused by me and while there they replaced a latch that was not working correctly.

But other than these rather small problems all is well. If I was in the market I would not hesitate to buy a new AS. And they now have a three year warranty. Buying from a reputable dealer is also important.

All the best!

Thanks- good to know!
Old 12-28-2019, 08:38 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Richland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
If you can afford it then buy new. Our International had very few issues that were handled quickly by the dealer (Can-Am). With new you know if everything is as it should be.

Some people will advise by used because any issues will have been taken care of. OTOH you could end up buying someone else problems.

Good points- thanks!
Old 12-28-2019, 08:40 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
We also purchased from Vogt. We have over 15,000 miles and have had some issues: both a/c units have been replaced twice under warranty, the remote temp sensor was left in the ceiling resulting in a very cold night on our first trip: we have had 3 blowouts on I40. And a few minor issues. All that said, if we were in the market for another trailer it would be an Airstream. Nothing else tows like an Airstream.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:59 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Bought our 2019 Flying Cloud 27fb new from the Albuquerque dealer. I think the only problems we've had are ones caused by bumpy roads. The door is hard to close. Both cabinet doors under the sink have bounced the screws out of their hinges.
We are not impressed with the AC/heat distribution - hoping that moving the thermistor from behind the TV will help with that.
Otherwise, it seems much more solidly made than our previous Keystone Outback. Prettier, too.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:10 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
We know all about the bumpy roads. On our last trip through northern NM,AZ and return home on I10 and 20, our wall came apart. The corner between the hall and the tv tore apart. Vogt said it was not installed correctly when built. They added additional reinforcements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	587E66ED-6A73-4A78-8DAA-2D81B8D6F00B.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	358306  
Old 12-29-2019, 08:13 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
That photo was from Vogt. It never came totally apart on the road. We would push it back together each day and apply lots of Gorilla tape.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:58 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Easton , PA
Our FC27 is our third rig and by far the best in terms of quality and satisfaction. As stated above and in other threads, trailers are moving homes — that undoubtedly causes things to loosen and become broken. I firmly believe that going into ownership knowing this, combined with the acceptance that routine visible and non-visible maintenance is required, will make anyone’s experience with any brand of rig better. Enjoy,
Old 12-29-2019, 09:15 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
San Francisco , California
Need clarification from satisfied and dissatisfied owners

I am a satisfied owner of a “new” Airstream, mine is a couple years old but every problem has been factory. I have learned a lot. I know of 3 epidemic quality problems straight from the factory. 1. One night you might just be laying in bed and smell fire, well that’s because the factory wiring job on the hot water heater is done by someone with no respect for humanity and a fire fixation (common problem $180 RV mechanic 30 min fix). 2. I saw the wall behind the shower in one pic, that needs to be checked immediately for leaks imo, it’s usually leaking behind there somewhere from factory, spray the nozzle with water directly at the cut outs for the faucet lever, etc. and caulk accordingly, check pex lines closely on hot and cold. My opinion is the first thing you need to do BEFORE buying an Airstream is, remove the wall behind the shower and make sure no leaks, make sure the water heater is wired property, 3. get on roof remove AC cover and make sure sensor not in that drain. When I buy my 33 I won’t sign my name until these 3 things are done. Now for other “problems” people need not think it’s like buying a car, it’s like buying a home, constant upkeep. But these 3 factory problems are epidemic I know.
Spartanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:22 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
San Francisco , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloBuckeye View Post
Our FC27 is our third rig and by far the best in terms of quality and satisfaction. As stated above and in other threads, trailers are moving homes — that undoubtedly causes things to loosen and become broken. I firmly believe that going into ownership knowing this, combined with the acceptance that routine visible and non-visible maintenance is required, will make anyone’s experience with any brand of rig better. Enjoy,

I like this “acceptance and commitment”....it’s what I tell my therapy clients, ha ha
Spartanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:29 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Mesa , Arizona
We bought a 2018 International Signature 28ft. We have had 2-3 minor issues, but out of the five travel trailers we have owned this is by far the best built. If you can afford to buy new, do it. Then you have a warranty to fall back on if needed. Many small problems you can take care of yourself.
kdfulsome54 is offline   Reply With Quote