Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2020, 01:30 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTech View Post
This is our experience with AS quality. We have a 2017 and have heard that year has had major problems, and we have. One big problem we have had is the dealerships we have used, both have been awful and I will never go to again. The quality of dealer service work has been awful, something is missed, broken or not covered under warranty every time.

So don't buy a used 2017, don't buy the extended warranty and find a dealer with good service. The west coast doesn't have any good service dealers other then the dealer in Los Banos Ca.

Good luck, they are beautiful but very expensive to own.
Just re-read this post about 2017 being a bad year. Maybe you just had bad luck...it happens...we have owned 4 AS's and been a member of the Forum for many years reading, contributing, learning...Never seen any posts that the 2017 year was "bad" in general...there are issues with every year..our 2017 actually has been great compare to our 2014 model...to tell folks not to buy a 2017 does us all a disservice unless you can point to something in the process that year vs all other years??
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:57 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Our 2012 FC20 was great -
... bought new...just a bit too small for us and one dog. Dealer took advantage of us and their service did not set up the EQ hitch properly in Missoula.

2013 Eddie Bauer 25 was a dog - even though our dealer worked with us - one problem fixed...then two more would develop. The wiring must have been done by a monkey (no disrespect to monkeys).

2015 Eddie Bauer has been great; we especially wanted the ducted air. Some minor issues solved over the telephone by a great service department at Airstream Adventures NW in Covington. Wonderful experiences with the dealer and our AS. Can't wait for spring - Eddie is nestled in his warm barn at the moment.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:53 PM   #43
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Three Airstreams, 2014 FC 25, 2015 Classic 30 and 2019 33 Classic. None have had any issues that stopped us from camping. Each had small items that I had fixed under warranty at the factory.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:45 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
This is just amazing to me. Airstream will never have any motivation to produce a trailer without defects from the factory when people will buy and buy and buy, even after encountering problems in a new trailer. After the design and build practices I have observed in my trailer, I would never spend the money for a new Airstream.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:31 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
This is just amazing to me. Airstream will never have any motivation to produce a trailer without defects from the factory when people will buy and buy and buy, even after encountering problems in a new trailer. After the design and build practices I have observed in my trailer, I would never spend the money for a new Airstream.

Larry
And people will complain, complain, complain No one is forcing anyone to purchase an AS...if your not happy, there are plenty choices out there...and as we all know, they all have problems!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 01-03-2020, 03:39 PM   #46
1 Rivet Member

BRIGHTON , Michigan
Satisfied new vs used

My experience with AS is directly dependent on the dealer service department. Our first AS was purchased from National RV in Detroit. Completely frustrating experience with service there. You don't expect to have to return 2x to get the folding steps fixed or to have your winterizing done incorrectly. I suggest you thoroughly investigate the service department where you expect to buy. In speaking to other AS owners, their satisfaction with their unit is directly related to the service experience at their dealer.
juliesAS22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:06 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by caronair View Post
Hi all- we have had a 2012 20’ Flying Cloud for 5 years. Bought it used and have had no major problems-we are wanting to go bigger as we now have a small dog and while we really like the 20’- it’s just too small. We are debating between a brand new model or a good used one- possibly 25’. Love being part of the Airstream family.

We keep reading about folks who are buying new Airstreams and complaining about quality and consistency of newer product. We don’t hear much from satisfied owners of new Airstreams- are you out there? Should we go new or try and get an older model that might be better constructed?

We welcome your thoughts.

Our Airstream is our 4th travel trailer. (All previous trailers were the “big white box types.”) We purchased it new, in Naperville, IL. Sure, we had a few initial minor issues, that were all fixed by the dealer. Without any doubt the Airstream came with far fewer issues than all our previous trailers, and, it was designed better. It works better, plain and simple. For new trailers, I suspect that dealer prep has a lot to do with “off-the-lot” fit, finish and integrity.
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:42 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
As stated by many of us who have encountered problems with new AS's or other SOB's; you just never know until you start using a TT, what surprises you might find. This can be due to poor assembly of that unit, QA missed something, bad appliance from the mfg., or what ever...it's frustrating for sure. I note that everyone handles their frustration differently; fix the issue and move on or let it bother you to death...I was at JC in October for 4 days for some warranty work along with some upgrades- (added oval port hole window in bathroom door and Easystart to AC). They also aligned my wheels, replaced some rivets, fixed a step issue, replaced water pump with new/quite pump, insulated noisy pipes, pressure tested system, replaced male connector on wire harness, bolstered supports for the hanging closets above foot of the twin beds (like in new models). No charge for all of this (warranty work) over first couple days for this work, except the window and Easystart...

While there, I was very impressed in the service bays how professional and focused the technicians were in getting things fixed for customers. If I have any issues going forward with a new unit, I would not hesitate to put JC visit on my schedule ASAP.

Touring the factory was another story...they put out a lot of AS's...think they said they were up to building between 100-125/week at at one point this past year...that's a lot of units. Doesn't excuse poor QA or workmanship of course, things they can control during the build...We all know that a poor reputation in quality will lead to poor sales which management "should" hear load and clear. All that said, we are still very happy owning/traveling in an AS vs SOB we have owned in the past. (although, we are also keeping an eye on Gene's experience with the Nash!)