Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2017, 09:00 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Regina , Saskatchewan
Need a US dealer with the most used units

Hello,

Newbie here. The wife and little one + hound will be setting sail on a full time/working adventure soon enough. Our plan is to travel anywhere in the US we think has the best opportunity to find which used AS we want.

We are pretty set on a 25' FC or International between 2010 to as new as possible. Our goal is to allow ourselves ample time to adventure the Country should we strike out at the first dealer. We also intend to keep an eye on private sales as well.

So, please hit me with all your dealer suggests and the winner will get a batch of the wife's pretzels when we visit you!
stream rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Hello StreamRye,

Most dealer websites list their used inventories like ours here in Utah. I doubt it stacks up to some of the more aggressive used AS inventories, but you get the idea.

http://www.airstreamofutah.com/defau...OwnedInventory

Hope to see you somewhere out here in the Wild, Wild West...

Regards - Ron
Utah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You might also email Jackson Center, directly...

Maggie
Old 10-27-2017, 02:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I would check Airstream of NJ (that's New Jersey). They have a huge Airstream selection and probably have what you are looking for. Check with Patrick, as he knows all of their Airstreams quite well.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
You should also check with Vince of A to Z Motors: http://www.atozmotors.com/
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Uhhh,

That's Colonial Airstream in NJ
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #7
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I would check Airstream of NJ (that's New Jersey). They have a huge Airstream selection and probably have what you are looking for. Check with Patrick, as he knows all of their Airstreams quite well.
100%

Here's the link.

http://www.colonialairstream.com/preowned.html
Old 10-27-2017, 05:08 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
With the exchange rate being what it is right now have you given any toughts to a Canadian dealer? If you do, Can Am rv in Londo Ontario is where we bought our new unit and they also have quite a few used models.
Papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Interesting, our only caveat for our curtesy parking is for the Parker to provide homemade pretzels.
I provide electric, water, beer and backyard shenanigans.

See you soon...
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:08 PM   #10
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by stream rye View Post
We are pretty set on a 25' FC or International between 2010 to as new as possible.
You don't really need the dealer with the largest inventory, you just need a dealer that has a 25 foot Flying Cloud or International!

I bought two lightly used Airstreams in the the past two years, both three years old at time of purchase. One from a private party and one from a dealer. Both of them appeared on www.rvtrader.com. Set up an account on there and do a saved search with notifications turned on. Then of course here on airstreamclassifieds. Also, there is a site called RVT.com that has a lot as well.

The best advice I can give you is to know what you want, understand the pricing by model year...and be ready to pounce when the right deal pops up...which it will--they always do. Good time of year right now, by the way. Both of mine were October purchases.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:15 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
LOS ANGELES , California
I agree with LBOskibear. Vince Cardinale of A to Z Motors in Winters CA, Near Sacramento. http://www.atozmotors.com/ I got my last trailer from him.
coveredwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:59 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I recently had a stroke and went from a happy camper to heading for assisted living. We have a 2016 FC 26 U with 2 air conditioners and full awnings. Less than 2 years old. I also have 2014 Chevy Silverado Z71 with 5.3 engine. Plus 2 3000 Honda Generators that run together and will power both air conditioners and accessories. This will cool the trailer in 90 degree heat in 1/2 hour. Plus everything else to make camping fun and enjoyable. All are in good condition.

Phone 563-289-2407
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:56 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you look on the web, inventory of used units varies from month to month. A "huge inventory" of used trailers might be five. A typical inventory often is none. The used inventory at most dealers is slanted towards the smaller trailers. Once you take the Sport and Basecamp models out, the huge inventory of five might be an inventory of one.

Yes, this varies with the time of year. Some dealers only do used when they get trade in's. Their inventory will go up in the late spring. Others seem to be happy to sell on consignment. Right now is a good time for inventory at those dealers.

As far as finding a specific used model and year - good luck once you get out of the smaller units and more recent years. Most of the dealers feed on "trade up" customers.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:20 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
Used Airstreams

A to Z Motors in Winter, CA

atozmotors.com
loft47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by stream rye View Post
Hello,

Newbie here. The wife and little one + hound will be setting sail on a full time/working adventure soon enough. Our plan is to travel anywhere in the US we think has the best opportunity to find which used AS we want.

We are pretty set on a 25' FC or International between 2010 to as new as possible. Our goal is to allow ourselves ample time to adventure the Country should we strike out at the first dealer. We also intend to keep an eye on private sales as well.

So, please hit me with all your dealer suggests and the winner will get a batch of the wife's pretzels when we visit you!
Check out Larry G. Larson 's post , he has a phone number listed...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Get a 30 footer, something. You won't be disappointed.
I have a 30' FC, and it is great the two of us.
It will be great for the 'four' of you too.
We found the 25'er too small, and the East-West bed was a PitA.
Storage was sparse too.
The 30' has lots of storage.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:18 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you don't already have a very good idea of what trailer you are after, sort that out first. It's much easier to do this looking at new trailers. Find a dealer with inventory and go sit in this or that model. It takes longer to work out than you might think .... Trying to find a range of used trailers all in one place is not easy.

Boib
Old 10-31-2017, 10:36 AM   #18
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Yes, but ..... understand that new has different accommodation and style than used coaches. And renovated vintage is a completely different world. The new coaches will give you a feeling for size. You have to look at a lot of used coaches to understand that market. Start by reading about the mods folks do. That helps you understand issues and strengths that folks need to adjust for their RV lifestyle. It should help you define yours.

We stayed next to a couple who were using a large coach that had been owned by other folks in their WBCCI unit. It was bigger than we could ever consider, but it worked for them. Having a history on your coach has value and that is a big consideration.

Several folks have posted about finding nice used coaches that required only a clean and polish. Some flaws are considered AS patina. Others report horrible water damage and appliance failures or very poor flip surface only renovation. So, having a history that is valid helps. Learning how to tell the difference helps.

Where to find ..... dry climates .... dry storage (barn finds) .... the renovation shop .... the retired tinkerer .... enjoy the adventure. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:11 PM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you are looking for a starting point for a gut job, then indeed, looking at this or that is not as big a deal. If you are looking for something that is < 20 years old to buff up and go camping in .... it's very relevant. If the OP is looking for trailers to gut and redo, that's not what is on dealer's (as opposed to broker's) lots. If that is the object of the search, forget about dealers ....

Bob
Old 11-02-2017, 08:10 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Regina , Saskatchewan
Holy lick what a great amount of helpful responses!

Ok bottom line is we pretty much know that we want (I know until she really starts paying attention) a 25' FB Int or FC from 2010 to new. So, clearly we may have some more details to work through, but it likely comes down to what we think needs the least amount of upfront work and what fits our budget, which does allow for a new purchase but if I'm honest I would rather not be hit with the first depreciation blow.

25' vs 30: I hear you. However, we are trying to and will succeed at being minimalistic about our lifestyle going forward. She doesn't care about stuff and all I need is a good guitar,amp,camera and axe and our bikes. K, maybe some pedals and laptops also but that's it! We are driven by experience but I get the 30, trust me. I want to be as nimble as possible and the folks writing about 25's being good enough for them seem like they live in the same atmosphere so that works for me.

I think I will be making myself known to the different dealers mentioned by you all so thanks! We will be keeping an eye on trailers in Canada but if the math works we would honestly prefer driving down South. Despite what you all may think some of us love the USA (blatant kiss ass) and want to explore the many beautiful parts of it. You can keep the Orange guy though..
stream rye is offline   Reply With Quote