Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2020, 03:11 PM   #1

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Aventura , Florida
MSRP Discount

I ve read through some past threads on possible discounts for new airstreams of 15-20% off of MSRP, but this was mostly for people at the end of the year I believe. What about this COVID situation maybe we can get more discount?

Does anyone have any experience of the discount that I can get in this current season/month. This is probably not the best time I would assume, what is reasonable to expect? I am looking for a 27 Flying Cloud FB.
Tony ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:22 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Plantation , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony ski View Post
I ve read through some past threads on possible discounts for new airstreams of 15-20% off of MSRP, but this was mostly for people at the end of the year I believe. What about this COVID situation maybe we can get more discount?

Does anyone have any experience of the discount that I can get in this current season/month. This is probably not the best time I would assume, what is reasonable to expect? I am looking for a 27 Flying Cloud FB.
Great question. Following....
dlfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:02 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Erwin , Tennessee
Just bought flying cloud 27fb with hatch. 24% off msrp. AS of Tampa. Certainly would not recco that dealership though. Pretty terrible service.
NCTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:53 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clearwater , Florida
Can you give me any tips working with this dealer? It's like pulling teeth with a doorknob getting them to give me information before the check is presented.
Woodee Ayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
On the other hand, someone posted an article that said Airstream was expecting a big decease in sales, but that has now surged to big demand. Like you can't buy a bicycle or a swimming pool in some areas because people are looking for things they can do at home, camping is looking like a pretty good socially distant way of having a vacation. So maybe you won't find greater discounts. YMMV.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:32 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony ski View Post

This COVID situation is likely driving up RV sales. The risks associated with air travel is the reason I just bought one. Discounts are out there, but the available inventory is pretty thin.

Also find a dealer with allocation that hasn't been built yet and you'll get a 2021 model. Some good changes in the Flying Cloud for 2021
matthewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:44 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Erwin , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodee Ayen View Post
Can you give me any tips working with this dealer? It's like pulling teeth with a doorknob getting them to give me information before the check is presented.
They were nice and friend and responsive. Once I gave deposit i couldn't even get them on phone. I didnt get any walk through or instruction. They delivered it to a closer rvone dealership for me...without the keys or the olug or the registration.

Its so much deeper and worse than this. I would say buy from another dealership.

But tips i can provide in general:
1. Sleep in it overnight on lot. Use the tv and kitchen stuff. I cant figure out several things. AS manual is literally useless. Have questions on inverter, manual is like...your AS has an inverter. Thats the extent of detail.

2. Doors finicky. Make sure they adjust it perfectly.

3. Go over with fine tooth comb. Start all the burners. Open every window. Mine 2 weeks old. From lot had issues with 2 windows, door, electrical circuit, cant turn off inverter, no idea how to use surround sound or connect tv to wifi.

4. Have them demonstrate the awning multiple times. It has a learning curve. Have them do it 3-5 times.

5. Remember warranty is literally worthless. Things are covered, as long as you live near an AS dealership, and Cool with not having it for several weeks/months. You need to be able to fix everything yourself or do not buy an AS. For example there is a video on how to adjust/troubleshoot door issues. Has 40k views on youtube. Yes thats how big a problem it is. I had an electrical issue. Had 7-8 people give me al different solutions because they all had similar problems, indicating to me that basically its a quality issue.

6. The will sell you equalizer. I do recommend that as a must have. However they do not install per manufacturer recommendation They didn't measure or adjust. It was wayyyyh off and you need serious tools to adjust (was lucky a neighbor had).

I wanted an AS for years. I am trying desperately to enjoy it. But that dealership really punched me in the guy and my trailer has been one issue after the next. Be cautious and dont be in a hurry. And once you give them deposit, sales people couldn't give a **** about you.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:40 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTN View Post
They were nice and friend and responsive. Once I gave deposit i couldn't even get them on phone. I didnt get any walk through or instruction. They delivered it to a closer rvone dealership for me...without the keys or the olug or the registration.

Its so much deeper and worse than this. I would say buy from another dealership.

I wanted an AS for years. I am trying desperately to enjoy it. But that dealership really punched me in the guy and my trailer has been one issue after the next. Be cautious and dont be in a hurry. And once you give them deposit, sales people couldn't give a **** about you.
This is a really good point. I bought from Patrick at Colonial. The overall experience has been great. Lots of communication. Looking forward to picking it up in a few weeks. He told me the walk through/training will take a couple hours and I should plan on spending the night there so they can workout any kinks the next morning before I get on the road. There's something to be said about service.
matthewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:24 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clearwater , Florida
Get suggestions. My SO is very handy but doesn't want to do more than necesary.
I thought we had done thorough research before we got involved - but I am doing more now just to get through the paperwork to understand the warranties before the purchase. I do have an inspector scheduled to give the Globetrotter a going over
Old 06-05-2020, 10:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodee Ayen View Post
Can you give me any tips working with this dealer?
I live in Tampa, and hoped the new facility would bring a new attitude.
When I shopped, I got the high pressure, like I was looking at used cars. I was expecting the 'closer' to appear.
I know some people have been happy with that dealership.
I took the 2 1/2 hour drive to Ft. Meyers and tried North Trail. Their attitude was 180 degrees different. Low pressure, almost no pressure.
I think every dealer will give you a 20% discount. I can't exactly remember mine, since I don't recall the list price, but it was at least 20%. And I negotiated Good Year Endurance tires instead of the marathons. That was huge to me.
Now, there are times I wish they were closer, like when I had a minor issue under warranty. I drove there and back one day, and encountered about a thousand love bugs! DOH!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:39 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTN View Post

But tips i can provide in general:
1. Sleep in it overnight on lot. Use the tv and kitchen stuff. I cant figure out several things. AS manual is literally useless. Have questions on inverter, manual is like...your AS has an inverter. Thats the extent of detail.

2. Doors finicky. Make sure they adjust it perfectly.

3. Go over with fine tooth comb. Start all the burners. Open every window. Mine 2 weeks old. From lot had issues with 2 windows, door, electrical circuit, cant turn off inverter, no idea how to use surround sound or connect tv to wifi.

4. Have them demonstrate the awning multiple times. It has a learning curve. Have them do it 3-5 times.

5. Remember warranty is literally worthless. Things are covered, as long as you live near an AS dealership, and Cool with not having it for several weeks/months. You need to be able to fix everything yourself or do not buy an AS. For example there is a video on how to adjust/troubleshoot door issues. Has 40k views on youtube. Yes thats how big a problem it is. I had an electrical issue. Had 7-8 people give me al different solutions because they all had similar problems, indicating to me that basically its a quality issue.

6. The will sell you equalizer. I do recommend that as a must have. However they do not install per manufacturer recommendation They didn't measure or adjust. It was wayyyyh off and you need serious tools to adjust (was lucky a neighbor had).

Just think for only $50K-$150K you too can have ALL this fun, pleasure and excitement in your life.

WAKE UP AIRSTREAM!

With this purchaser's experience having been the the new NORMAL for years now instead of the EXCEPTION how long does THOR management think they can sustain selling a poor quality product for an expensive price? Apparently a LONGTIME as little if anything changes quality wise at Airstream.

History, Legend and Livin the Dream marketing only goes so far when trying to sell EXPENSIVE LOW QUALITY Airstream products.

Ya I know you offered several other options including the Nest and the Basecamp to appeal to younger and less affluent buyers wanting to live the Airstream dream. We also all have seen what a disaster those two products introductions have been quality wise. Problem after problem reported by most every buyer!

When you can sell most everything you build the only build and product changes you need to make are those that squeeze every little bit more profit you can out every unit!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clearwater , Florida
Can anyone help me with this form - Certified Performance Check Out?

The sales contract of the dealer refers to the AS Warranty which requires that this form be completed within 10 days of delivery. Here's the issue - dealer won't give me a copy of the second page of the form before check out (demonstration) which is now running about two weeks after purchase and delivery. If I wait until the demo, my warranty is not in effect. Anyone have a sample or know where I can get one? AS customer service said to get from dealer.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Sounds like nonsense to me. Your Airstream Warranty does not depend on some “performance checkout”. The day you own it starts the clock.

Are they trying to sell you some aftermarket thing or a “lifetime” warranty that requires you to have an expensive annual inspection to keep it in force?
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:06 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clearwater , Florida
No kidding. It does sound like fiction but I am quoting directly from the AS 2020 TT Limited Warranty (provided to me directly from AS, not dealer): "Obtaining Warranty Service...1. Owner and dealer representative must complete sign and return the Customer Performance Checkout within 10 days from delivery of the trailer."

AS customer service sent me page 1 of the CPC. It states that I as owner "certify to Airstream that I have been checked out on all the items on the check-out list". But AS and dealer will not provide the list until the demo which may occur more than 10 days after purchase and delivery.

Just wanted to see if anyone recalls what was on their checklist when they purchased.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:36 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Garland , Texas
When ever I purchase a product, stock, etc, I figure out what I'm willing to pay and just importantly when I want to buy. MSRP discounts depend on current demand for a particular model, price point, and can be misleading if you have to finance thru their sources. Air Stream management & Thor have said that although they have a new facility, it's going to be hard to ramp up production because of supply chain disruptions. Virus & China. They're also saying demand & future order have skyrocketed. If what they are saying is true, expect MSRP to rise again, easily erasing dealer discount. Keep in mind that CEO are glorified salespeople and will say anything. It could turn out to be a good time to look at used units.
Greenjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:45 PM   #16

Las vegas , Nevada
We are also looking to purchase a new 2020 airstream during this COVID-19 pandemic as it appears that it may be a good time economically. However I’m hearing stories of increase sales of RV and airstreams in particular. Don’t know how much to value these comments as they are coming from Airstream news. It’s hard to believe that RV sales have been increasing when the economic conditions are decreasing. Wondering if this is a good time to purchase as a deeper discount may be obtained. Has anybody purchased an airstream during this condition?
Bprilv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:42 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Erwin , Tennessee
I bought mine 3 weeks ago. Don't forget people want to be outside and hotels are largely closed. First thing i did when we bought was try to book a bunch of rv trips. Nearly every park and campground is at or near capacity . One if the ones we wanted to book i could t get 2 cosec days until October. Also even if we have 90% unemployment, they only make 4,000 airstreams a year across all models and floor plans, so not gonna be subject significantly to economic conditions.

It appears the average discount off msrp dealers give people is around 12-16%. Many people get around 20% which is really good. I bought 3 weeks ago and got 24% off. It has to do with the Amount inventory they have, time off month,
model, how long its been on lot.

Its like a house, in price, headache, and features. If you saw a house you wanted for 100k and offered 75k, they counter 90k, and you want it and can afford it and meets your needs, you do t walk away.

There are a dozen reasons i would caution you about buying a new AS (can see my other posts) but a few bios off msrp is not one of them. And dont take this wrong as it may sound off putting but its a stark reality i am learning. If a few thousand on price makes an difference to you do not buy an AS, as purchase is inly 1 element of expense...insurance, storage/hookup, outfitting unit, MAINTENANCE AND REPAIRS!!!

We love ours despite many headaches. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:55 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
As a new AS 25ft. FC, I read these post about problems with the AS and problems with the dealer and I’m very sorry to see these issues.

However, in our experience everything has been just perfect. First, the dealer (Chilhowee RV) was fair and accommodating, spending about an hour going over most of the things we needed to know, answering our questions and helping us gain some confidence.

After three short trips to gain experience, our FC has no issues other than one small screw working its way out of a door handle.

The dealer had already gone over the unit and discovered several things that needed replacing and had already ordered them, including a replacement backup camera.

Nothing I’ve reported is meant to negate the issues others have had and that’s an issue AS must address, but not all dealers are like some of the ones previously mentioned and that’s an important part of the QC chain of command.
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:13 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson3798 View Post
As a new AS 25ft. FC, I read these post about problems with the AS and problems with the dealer and I’m very sorry to see these issues.

However, in our experience everything has been just perfect. First, the dealer (Chilhowee RV) was fair and accommodating, spending about an hour going over most of the things we needed to know, answering our questions and helping us gain some confidence.

After three short trips to gain experience, our FC has no issues other than one small screw working its way out of a door handle.

The dealer had already gone over the unit and discovered several things that needed replacing and had already ordered them, including a replacement backup camera.

Nothing I’ve reported is meant to negate the issues others have had and that’s an issue AS must address, but not all dealers are like some of the ones previously mentioned and that’s an important part of the QC chain of command.

Same experience at the same dealer. 1 year in found a few minor issues, appointment scheduled for repair.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I have done this twice now; once on my 2014 25' FC and again on my 2017 28 FC. I had to travel, but the discount was worth the trip. Some folks here have seen 24%; I have had 22% both times. My advise; do your homework on the model you want and if you can identify who has one in stock from their website, that is best. Then, call around, ask for sales manager about your goals/discount. I found 3 dealers (including Tampa and 2 in CA) who worked with me over the phone. I live in Texas, so had to drive to pick up in CA both times. Not a big deal to me to save more. Texas dealers would not negotiate beyond 15% at the time. Be prepared to send a $$ deposit to hold the deal, and ask for copy of the invoice/equipment.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote