Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-06-2020, 12:23 AM   #61
Rivet Master
 
daleyocum's Avatar
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellisfambam View Post
So did you actually purchase thru Toscano? We are currently talking with David as well as a local guy with Airstream adventures. David has been so kind and currently has the lowest price. Purchasing out of town makes me a little more nervous, but the best price wins.
Sadly Terry from Sutton RV was quite rude to my husband. He was really irritated that we were wanting prices even though we assured him we are more than happy to make the drive.
I was willing to get our unit from Toscano but when I told Airstream Adventures in Portland that was my plan unless they could match it they did. This only works if you are ordering a unit and willing to wait. Not sure in these COVID days. I got mine ordered in October for Feb delivery so it was the slow season.

Being from Oregon, with no sales tax, made it tricky to buy from California so I was glad I didn’t have to do that. We were going to meet them at the border for the handoff.

You can have trailers shipped/delivered from anywhere in the country. I seem to recall it being around $1.75 a mile but I could be off. The dealer is required to do a walkthrough with you so you might need to go to their location, get the walkthrough, and then have it shipped home.

Sutton is a small dealer so they may not have many units in their allocation. Therefore they might not want to do much dealing.

I also got a low quote from RVOne in Orlando. They are a big dealer with a lot of units allocated.

Again, pre-COVID I got 21% off for a few hours on the phone. You just need to be crisp about what you want.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:05 AM   #62
Rivet Master
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 673
Ellisfambam I bought from Toscano. Spent the night on there lot to check out everything. Since I had no intention of paying sales tax I took delivery the next day in Reno.


Hope this helps. Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:14 PM   #63
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Boise , Idaho
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
Ellisfambam I bought from Toscano. Spent the night on there lot to check out everything. Since I had no intention of paying sales tax I took delivery the next day in Reno.


Hope this helps. Dave
Toscano RV it is! Airstream adventure couldn’t come close to matching David’s price. We are getting 16.8% off MSRP. And we feel really good about that deal! Thank you all for your input. I know it saved us thousands!
Ellisfambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:01 PM   #64
1 Rivet Member
 
2021 30' International
Currently Looking...
Kingston , Massachusetts
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 9
MSRP Dicounts

I'm currently shopping for a 2021 AS 30" either FC or Int. Here is what I have found, I live in the NE:
1. Inventory doesn't exist
2. When you order it will be 8 months out
3. Discounts are 10-11% from the dealer I want to buy from and about 15% from an out of state dealer with poor rep. I have not been able to come close to the big discounts others have seen in the past (20%+).
4. Personally I love the new looks in the FC (big improvement with cabinets and upholstery, but not the counter tops they are ugly), the International is simply stunning!

I thought I was giving myself a lot of time to get ready for next season but as I'm finding out if you want to camp in a new AS next year you have to plan now.

Good luck.
Roadagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #65
Rivet Master
 
A W Warn's Avatar

 
2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,393
Did you talk to Patrick at Colonial Airstream?
Lots of people drive a long way to do business there.
__________________
Alan
2014 Silverado LTZ 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L maximum trailering package
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 02:07 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member
 
Coolio's Avatar
 
2019 25' International
Evergreen , Colorado
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 33
I ordered a 2019 25FB Signature from RVOne in Iowa 2 years ago. I got 21% off msrp, but had to drive from Denver to get it.

https://rvonedesmoines.rvone.com
Coolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:37 PM   #67
Rivet Master
 
2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 783
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 1
I’d be surprised if you see 18-20% given the market, and yes that’s what I got a year ago. I would focus on a superior delivery experience etc. unless the deal is your driver then you could be waiting until supply catches up with demand. Who know when that will be.
__________________
2019 International Serenity 27 FBQ “TC Escape”

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #68
1 Rivet Member
 
Ben Lomond , California
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 5
Howdy all. New to this string and new to the forum. Hell, new to RVs. We just pulled the trigger on a 2021 AS Caravel 16. Found this MSRP string extremely helpful -- so thank you -- as I was very curious what discounts dealers were still offering for what are pretty much pre-orders everywhere right now, at least in the model and size we wanted. We're on California's Central Coast, which puts us in the relative vicinity of a few dealers … Bay Area Airstream Adventures, South Bay Airstream Adventures and Toscano RV in Los Banos. The first two are part of the same family so I only dealt with SBAA as they are 50 miles closer to my house. Neither SBAA or Toscano had we wanted on site -- not surprising, as we called a half-dozen spots and inventory has pretty much dried up in the state, and elsewhere it sounds -- but we did drive to SBAA to check out a Caravel 19 and a Bambi 16, both of which were already sold but had yet to leave the lot. Helpful. The sales folks we dealt with were friendly and seemed like straight-shooters. There was no hard sell. I liked them both. We left knowing their asking price on the Caravel. We didn’t push further at this point, but called Toscano the next morning. On the advice of a previous poster, we asked for Dave, told him we were serious about a Caravel 16, had visited SBAA and would like a quote. Also super professional. Not pushy. Helpful … even talked us out of the extra awnings package that we were on the fence about. Did get the solar package. Essentially, he came in 13 percent below the 2021 MSRP. I called back to BAAA, which is 50 miles closer to my house, and asked them if they’d match or at least sharpen their pencil. Price-wise, though, they weren't really playing ball. Best they were offering was 3 percent off MSRP and other unspecified financial "help" with hoses, other start-up expenses. I didn't push for details on that because it was pretty clear in my mind that they weren't coming down further than that 3 percent, and that was a deal-killer for us. We weren’t leaving $6K plus on the table. Stressed their customer service. All well and good, but not $6K good. Anyway, that was our experience. Hopefully it helps others in the same boat … er, trailer.
Crankyeditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:20 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member
 
2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 477
Well, it's been a while since I shopped for a new Airstream and let me tell you, the arrogance out there by some dealers I reached out to was over the top, even by car sales standards.

One dealer said, 5%, no negoit in this climate, oh and it's $5k down and the wait is between 10-12 months. I came back with, you want me to lock up $5k for nearly a year for a 5% discount? They came back with, yup, that or give us your trailer now. Yea, they really said that.

Others have been more open to talking and my guess is that the smaller dealers don't get the allocation the bigger ones like Colonial get, so they simply cannot sell the few units they get at a fair discount, still I can't help but feel in this particular case there is some level of unadulterated greed. That dealer, if anyone accepted their terms would prob make about 15% +/-, which is an obscene amount of profit, but it's their right to set their prices. Next closest was willing to do 12%, not great, but better than 5%, and that 5% dealer wouldn't even answer the question are we doing retail to retail or wholesale to wholesale....answer- we don't feel comfortable answering that without possible inspection of your trailer. Really, how is Scottsdale or Colonial able do it? Ok, thanks for your time....moveon.org.

It's much tougher out there than it was a spell ago. Apparently all 4 dealers told me Airstream no longer makes any modifications to the trailers....for example, I had asked for the skylight to be deleted, all dealers said no, even though last go around, Airstream did it. Seems times have changed and the Henry Ford philosophy is in full force in Jackson Center.

My gut tells me at this point, to just sit/ride it out. Sure my current unit will loose a good portion of it's inflated value it has currently, but then I won't have $5k tied of for a year doing nothing or be trailerless for the upcoming season....I also haven't ruled out pre-owned which I strongly feel will be booming in a short period of time as these instant gratification folks that bought on a whim and realized there is a good deal of work, skill and maint to RVing. That 5% dealer really thinks that there will not be a bursting bubble and that in 12 or so months, there will be no more preowned Airstreams than there have been pre-COVID......someone have been visiting the dispensary a bit too frequently!
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:20 AM   #70
New Member
 
Clovis , California
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 2
I have to second Toscano RV! We were just looking and researching and looked at airstreams at Fairfield airstream.. and no units available to purchase. Saw that Toscano had an airstream on their lot we called and spoke to Dave. Put down a refundable deposit to hold the trailer until we could get there to see it, got a bigger discount than ordering one. Long story short, we pick her up tomorrow! Thank you Toscano RV, Dave and John!
medinaj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:37 AM   #71
Rivet Master
 
kscherzi's Avatar
 
2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,611
Images: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
Well, it's been a while since I shopped for a new Airstream and let me tell you, the arrogance out there by some dealers I reached out to was over the top, even by car sales standards.

One dealer said, 5%, no negoit in this climate, oh and it's $5k down and the wait is between 10-12 months. I came back with, you want me to lock up $5k for nearly a year for a 5% discount? They came back with, yup, that or give us your trailer now. Yea, they really said that.

Others have been more open to talking and my guess is that the smaller dealers don't get the allocation the bigger ones like Colonial get, so they simply cannot sell the few units they get at a fair discount, still I can't help but feel in this particular case there is some level of unadulterated greed. That dealer, if anyone accepted their terms would prob make about 15% +/-, which is an obscene amount of profit, but it's their right to set their prices. Next closest was willing to do 12%, not great, but better than 5%, and that 5% dealer wouldn't even answer the question are we doing retail to retail or wholesale to wholesale....answer- we don't feel comfortable answering that without possible inspection of your trailer. Really, how is Scottsdale or Colonial able do it? Ok, thanks for your time....moveon.org.

It's much tougher out there than it was a spell ago. Apparently all 4 dealers told me Airstream no longer makes any modifications to the trailers....for example, I had asked for the skylight to be deleted, all dealers said no, even though last go around, Airstream did it. Seems times have changed and the Henry Ford philosophy is in full force in Jackson Center.

My gut tells me at this point, to just sit/ride it out. Sure my current unit will loose a good portion of it's inflated value it has currently, but then I won't have $5k tied of for a year doing nothing or be trailerless for the upcoming season....I also haven't ruled out pre-owned which I strongly feel will be booming in a short period of time as these instant gratification folks that bought on a whim and realized there is a good deal of work, skill and maint to RVing. That 5% dealer really thinks that there will not be a bursting bubble and that in 12 or so months, there will be no more preowned Airstreams than there have been pre-COVID......someone have been visiting the dispensary a bit too frequently!
What you're experiencing is normal capitalism at work. Supply and demand are out of balance. As you correctly noted this won't last. I don't blame the dealerships for taking profits where they can now. They also know the pendulum will swing back, and it may swing back hard to where they'll be hurting. Those 25% off MSRP deals mean slow death for dealerships.

You can also take advantage of this environment and sell your used trailer for an obsenely inflated price today. Wait out the bubble for a year or two, then buy a new trailer at normal pricing, locking in a great net trade up. Mimicking what the pros do in the stock market.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 01:06 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member
 
BogeyPro's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 26
Hello, WordofBabb.

I am also currently dealing with Airstream Adventures Northwest, I live in North Seattle. I am very interested in the 25' Globetrotter FBQ. However, AANW would only offer 2% off the MSRP.

I'm impressed that you "shopped the nation" and got a deal with Colonial Airstream all the way across the country in New Jersey, right?

So if you "take delivery" in another state, how is the sales tax applied? For example, if I "took delivery" of an AS in Portland (no sales tax), don't I have to register the travel trailer in Washington state? And when you do register (to get the license plate and all the documents), don't you have to pay that outrageous 10% Washington sales tax?

Did you already get your AS? Like you, I don't mind driving long distances in order to save thousands.

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I'm a total newbie, and I am very concerned about being taken advantage of. This forum is so good for things like that.
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 01:26 PM   #73
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyPro View Post
Hello, WordofBabb.

I am also currently dealing with Airstream Adventures Northwest, I live in North Seattle. I am very interested in the 25' Globetrotter FBQ. However, AANW would only offer 2% off the MSRP.

I'm impressed that you "shopped the nation" and got a deal with Colonial Airstream all the way across the country in New Jersey, right?

So if you "take delivery" in another state, how is the sales tax applied? For example, if I "took delivery" of an AS in Portland (no sales tax), don't I have to register the travel trailer in Washington state? And when you do register (to get the license plate and all the documents), don't you have to pay that outrageous 10% Washington sales tax?

Did you already get your AS? Like you, I don't mind driving long distances in order to save thousands.

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I'm a total newbie, and I am very concerned about being taken advantage of. This forum is so good for things like that.
Every state has different registration/tax laws, so you need to ask your dealer you purchase from. We purchased new in CA but wanted to register in MT; they had to deliver to us in Reno area, and have a notary come to our campsite for the paperwork. Was not bad...cost us an extra $600 for delivery and entire transaction. Saved CA registration, sales tax also. One time registration in MT with permanent plates. Currant unit we purchased in Oregon...no issues with MT registration. We transferred the plate also.. We paid cash each time .

AS Adventures will work with you if you get a better price outside their dealerships, but you need to get to upper sales management typically. They, like many dealers, do not want to start the "negotiations" till they are convinced your serious... With Covid, however, discounts are pretty small as I have been following last year or so...Tuscano as stated, is a pretty straight shooter (fair discount for sure) if you can get the trailer you want... Patrick also has been a good dealership with fair pricing from time to time...but again, Covid upset the apple cart for delivery and discounts...

My son recently got a new Basecamp 20X out of Tampa AS; only got 5% I believe, but it was a cancelation. He did not want to wait 8 months to order...
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, 6.7L, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 02:12 PM   #74
Rivet Master
 
mikeinca's Avatar

 
2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyPro View Post
Hello, WordofBabb.

I am also currently dealing with Airstream Adventures Northwest, I live in North Seattle. I am very interested in the 25' Globetrotter FBQ. However, AANW would only offer 2% off the MSRP.

I'm impressed that you "shopped the nation" and got a deal with Colonial Airstream all the way across the country in New Jersey, right?

So if you "take delivery" in another state, how is the sales tax applied? For example, if I "took delivery" of an AS in Portland (no sales tax), don't I have to register the travel trailer in Washington state? And when you do register (to get the license plate and all the documents), don't you have to pay that outrageous 10% Washington sales tax?

Did you already get your AS? Like you, I don't mind driving long distances in order to save thousands.

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I'm a total newbie, and I am very concerned about being taken advantage of. This forum is so good for things like that.
I think you may have a couple of things working against you. The first is the "Covid market" in which Airstreams seem to be in particular demand. The other is the fact that you want a 25' Globetrotter which is among Airstream's more popular models.

I say this because I had a similar experience with Bay Area Airstream Adventures which is owned by the same people as Airstream Adventures Northwest. When we bought our 2018 Classic from them we got a 20% discount so when we went to purchase our 2020 Globetrotter I was expecting something in the same ballpark. They were willing to give generous discounts on a 25' Flying Cloud or International but they said they were selling every Globetrotter they could get their hands on and just weren't willing to take as much off. As a previous customer, I finally wrangled 6% out of them but they were ready to let me walk, and this was before the Covid RV boom.

Anyway, just providing some perspective from my experience. Good luck with your search.
__________________
Mike

“The thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin
2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string
580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 02:47 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member
 
LNBright's Avatar
 
2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyPro View Post
So if you "take delivery" in another state, how is the sales tax applied? For example, if I "took delivery" of an AS in Portland (no sales tax), don't I have to register the travel trailer in Washington state? And when you do register (to get the license plate and all the documents), don't you have to pay that outrageous 10% Washington sales tax?
You have it right: I was shopping pretty hard across many states: it was pretty consistent, that an out-of-state dealership or business would forego charging you sales tax, but then I'd have to pay my own state's sales tax when I went to register it.

It just so happens, that the one I ended up buying was from my nearest dealership, in my own state: so, I paid sales tax on the sale, which went to the state through that county (instead of my own county). When I renew my tag in a year, I'll simply renew it in my own county, instead of the county the dealership was in.
__________________
-Leslie
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:15 AM   #76
New Member
 
Mountain View , California
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 2
Try New Mexico Airstream - Did the online negotiation with Dan there. Super easy and good discount by far compare to all west coast dealers. Dan also mentioned New Mexico allows out of state customers to register the RV with NM license and pay NM tax. Obviously you should also check with your state.
robbchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:42 PM   #77
1 Rivet Member
 
2018 19' Tommy Bahama
sac , cali
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 5
Aanw

I am also looking for an airstream and had previously had a great experience with the AANW group which pretty much controls the pacific northwest market with its dealerships. this time around they are the worst and will not move off of 2-3% MSRP. yet when i reached out to the larger volume dealerships in other areas I got quotes sitting between 10-15% off MSRP in the same delivery windows.

I shared some of the quotes with AANW and they would not match, but found out they did complain to the mothership. so shop around and expect to be buying your new airstream for a better price from someone else other than AANW. its the way the free market works
usakiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:07 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member
 
BogeyPro's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 26
AANW and Toscano

Quote:
Originally Posted by usakiwi View Post
I am also looking for an airstream and had previously had a great experience with the AANW group which pretty much controls the pacific northwest market with its dealerships. this time around they are the worst and will not move off of 2-3% MSRP. yet when i reached out to the larger volume dealerships in other areas I got quotes sitting between 10-15% off MSRP in the same delivery windows.

I shared some of the quotes with AANW and they would not match, but found out they did complain to the mothership. so shop around and expect to be buying your new airstream for a better price from someone else other than AANW. its the way the free market works
That is the same experience that I had, no more than 2% off the MSRP from AANW...then I got on this forum and learned to shop around. I ended up buying from Toscano RV in Los Banos, CA. They gave me a much better deal and were more willing to negotiate.
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:51 AM   #79
2 Rivet Member
 
2021 27' Globetrotter
San Francisco , California
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyPro View Post
I ended up buying from Toscano RV in Los Banos, CA. They gave me a much better deal and were more willing to negotiate.
The trade off is the wait time, did Toscano give you a firm date? I ordered from them last year and don’t expect delivery until September at this point, so net almost 12 months from order to delivery.

I bought a second trailer as a replacement and expect I’ll resell Toscano’s when the finally deliver.
XCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:45 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member
 
BogeyPro's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 26
Toscano RV Delivery Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCountry View Post
The trade off is the wait time, did Toscano give you a firm date? I ordered from them last year and don’t expect delivery until September at this point, so net almost 12 months from order to delivery.

I bought a second trailer as a replacement and expect I’ll resell Toscano’s when the finally deliver.
Yes, I am willing to wait. I placed the order on 2 April this year, they told me "early November" for an expected delivery.
BogeyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSRP discount? Best place to buy - Southern NV Area redantair Sprinter and B-van Forum 21 01-19-2021 07:01 AM
Sport 22 & FC 20 Discount off MSRP Gh0624 Trailer Values 4 03-17-2018 05:27 AM
Rule of thumb...discount off MSRP? hostage46 Buyer Guidelines 13 08-30-2016 07:10 PM
Ballpark msrp discount? yspopowich Buyer Guidelines 6 06-05-2011 07:12 PM
2009 19' Flying Cloud SE - MSRP Discount? BobSenigo Trailer Values 17 03-16-2010 01:13 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.