RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I doubt water and waste capacity is keeping anyone from using our beautiful National and State park campgrounds. At least not us. We used them for many, many years as tent campers, VW van campers, and now with our Safari 20 SE. For some, nothing is big enough. Others, who understand camping, will get along perfectly with what they have.

Doug K
Well, it's obvious why there is a wide selection of Airstreams (and other brands) offered to suit different preferences and 'needs', from tiny pods to road monsters. Everyone out there camping must be at least somewhat satisfied with their outfit, yet if everyone got along perfectly with what they have, there would be no resale or upgrade market. Make your own choices and enjoy your experience. There's no need, however, to criticize others who make different choices. Time to move on to more objective topics, excluding personal hygiene, sewerage, weight distribution hitches, solar vs. generators, and who knows what else triggers passion on a forum such as this. Go camping!
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I think this is worth discussing, especially in a thread started by a newbie.

The idea that you have to have big tanks to enjoy boondocking isn't the whole story. We spent 35 days travelling cross-country in our T@B teardrop, staying mostly in NP campgrounds. That trailer had a 5-gallon fresh water tank and no gray tanks. We used campground showers and a folding portable tank to hold water from the sink.

Later we spent 16 days in PEI and Nova Scotia, spending 10 days boondocking in various places. That was with our Argosy with it's relatively tiny gray water tank (which by design doesn't even hold shower water.)

But. Keeping kids on board with not running the water (and filling up the tanks) is a challenge. If you don't want to use the campground showers (or if there aren't any), you'll want bigger tanks and/or a portable blue boy tote tank. I fully admit, I would like a more modern trailer with bigger tanks - but we've also thoroughly enjoyed our time spent without them.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Supercharge, I didn't see you mention the age of your children, and that might be a consideration.

Personally if we were a younger family with children young enough to sleep on the dining/bed (with plenty of years to grow, ahead), the 23 FB would be my bottom choice.

However if you've got children who will be, or soon will be almost adult in size, I would think you'd be asking for trouble with the 23 FB. I would opt for the 25 or even larger.

In any event, when they get into their middle to late teen years, it's going to be a struggle to even get them to think about going camping with their parents (even though it's an AS).

And of course, your mileage may vary.
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Instead of considering a larger trailer, and whatever limitations of tanks and axles and trailer length (all Airstreams are tiny homes), I would recommend a lightly used Airstream Sport for a young family. The real advantage of a trailer is it allows you warm, dry, comfortable shelter to cook, eat, sleep, and bathe (yes, you all can keep clean in any trailer), while traveling as far and wide as you wish. The Sport will meet those needs.

The kids will not be sitting inside much on a camping trip, and you will enjoy the shade and views under the awning. The Sport is most probably the least expensive Airstream to buy and maintain. It is easy to park, store, and probably can be towed by your family car, van, or SUV with reasonable fuel consumption. The concept returns to the early days of Airstreaming, and is sensible to a young family's means.

Will you outgrow it? Probably, but so what. You may wear it out first (hopefully). Most of us have had many RV's, but few of us wish we had saddled our young lives with more expense and debt. The important thing is to get out there and enjoy travel and whatever adventures you can find with your family.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #25

Currently Looking...
Calgary , Alberta
HI All,

First off, a big thank you to all the folks who responded to my post. I really appreciate all the help from the community and I found it very valuable. It's tricky for someone new to RVing like me to identify what the important factors are in making this rather expensive decision, and all the advice and opinions have really helped me.

Now I'm wrestling with two things:

1) what - if I find the right AS at the right price - do I need to get along with a new trailer (I'm still looking for used, but wow, are they hard to find)? One dealer mentioned some kind of protective coating on the outside plus scotchguarding on the inside - do I need that? (I'm someone who NEVER gets upsold at car dealerships, but I know a little bit about cars. Trailers, not so much.) Patio lanterns for the awning? Is there a "must have" or at least "must strongly consider" when getting into AS ownership?

2) I'm a long ways from the nearest dealer. What are the typical problems with new AS trailers that require dealer attention? Is this a deal killer?

Many thanks, all.
Supercharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:13 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Manhattan Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
In a perfect world, $$$ no option, the "best layout" IMO for a family of 4 would be this one, no matter what "finish package" it has:

Shari
what model is this? I just bought a '67 Globetrotter that we are gutting. We are a family of 4 as well. I'm trying to figure out a design.

thanks!
lisamomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
That floorplan is an Airstream International 23D - here's a link to one on Colonial Airstream's site.

Note that duplicating that floorplan in a vintage Globetrotter could be complicated by the fact that the GT is about 1/2 a foot narrower than the modern 23D. It will get tight around the bed and bath. My favorite Globetrotter floorplan was the one used in 1969.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:24 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Manhattan Beach , California
thank you Tom! I wasn't thinking about the width! that helps!
lisamomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:36 AM   #29

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Here is a nice used one.

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...t=12671&cat=16
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time help