Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2021, 04:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Jupiter , Florida
Model differences

Is there a simple way to see the differences between the models listed? Flipping back and forth between web pages / brochures is dizzying at times. :-) My wife and I are looking at the various 27' models but we have not found a simple way to see all of the differences between the Flying Cloud, International, and Globetrotter models. I considered creating a spreadsheet listing each of their specs but then I thought (ok it was really my wife) someone else may have already done this.

Thank you
Monoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I think the best way to learn this is by looking at the airstream dot com website for the floor plan differences and specs, and the careful study of you tube videos.

After a while you will memorize the interior layouts of the different models.

The you tube videos let you see the elevation (3D ) differences in materials, colors, etc.

The spread sheet is a good idea.

Also there are a lot of differences between the twin and queen models too.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:50 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Erie , Pennsylvania
comparasion link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoman View Post
Is there a simple way to see the differences between the models listed? Flipping back and forth between web pages / brochures is dizzying at times. :-) My wife and I are looking at the various 27' models but we have not found a simple way to see all of the differences between the Flying Cloud, International, and Globetrotter models. I considered creating a spreadsheet listing each of their specs but then I thought (ok it was really my wife) someone else may have already done this.

Thank you

Try this link, almost as good as a spreadsheet

https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...ng-cloud--27fb

There are really only 2 floor plans for the 27' Queen bed or Twins.
The differences on the inside is decor and some cabinets, counter tops, on the exterior the upper 2 have power awnings and one has power stabilizers. The FC can get an optional awning rear and street side that is standard on the upper two. We had the luxury of looking at all three on the dealers lot when we bought, not sure how much stock the dealers have these days. Seems every body is ordering, some even site unseen on the colors and trim package. Hope this helps and doesn't confuse even more. Good luck shopping.
Rick & Becky #28279
2018 FC27FBQ
2021 RAM 2500 Hemi 6.4
KD3OBX 146.520
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 05:50 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Jupiter , Florida
Thank you for the quick replies. The floor plans are not really the issue. It is
knowing the differences between the models? (or are they really trim lines?) where i find the most difficulty. I have used the "compare" tool on the Airstream site but it needs some work. The main issue is that the specs are in a different order or have different wording. The columns diverge to the point that it becomes difficult to actually do a full comparison.

If we know narrow our choice down to a 27 FBQ then I want to know why exactly is a Globetrotter more expensive than an International and the International is more than the Flying Cloud. It should be real easy to see that the GT has power leveling jacks and the other two do not. Some automobile brochures are good about laying this all out in a table.

Maybe I am overthinking it at this point but my OCD says I am not. I was just hoping someone else already solved "my problem". :-)
Monoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 01:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Just as in cars, somethings can't be shown in a photo.
The foam and fabrics and flooring are different in these models.
Just like my husband's CRV with cloth seats doesn't have the same cushy foam as my daughter's CRV with the leather seats. It about feel as much as what you see.

Also one person's vision of benefit is different than someone else's.
Example is the upper cabinets on the International. Some people love that they have the sliding panels and interior lights. Other people would hate that and prefer the solid flip up doors on the flying cloud.

Some people want power everything, and some people hate worring about 1 more thing to service or worry about on the road.

If you can, look at all the you tube videos on all the models (even if not the 27) to get an idea of the faucet styles, doors, handles, lighting, etc.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:59 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Just as in cars, somethings can't be shown in a photo.
The foam and fabrics and flooring are different in these models.
Just like my husband's CRV with cloth seats doesn't have the same cushy foam as my daughter's CRV with the leather seats. It about feel as much as what you see.

If you can, look at all the you tube videos on all the models (even if not the 27) to get an idea of the faucet styles, doors, handles, lighting, etc.
I'm a little late to this party, but you point is extremely salient. We're "new shoppers" on the AS market. Currently camping in a late model 5th wheel. This past weekend we had the opportunity, while camping, to tour a Globetrotter and and a Flying Cloud. The differences in the trim lines was significant. We're now looking for an International to tour before we place an order.

Net-net "laying hands" on the actual coaches makes a huge difference.
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:38 AM   #7
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We ended up purchasing a Globetrotter based solely off of a Colonial AS video. I was trying to purchase a 2019 brand new 25FB FC here at a local dealer. I found a 2020 GT 25FBT with some after market add ons “used” at a dealer in Chicago. The one year newer GT was $10,000 less than the FC. Then the Chicago dealer offered me $10,000 more for our 23FB (FC). $20K savings for a newer trailer. Wasn’t a tough decision. We really like the GT interior. LW is happy, that’s all that counts. I’d prefer manual awning and stabilizers, but knock on wood, the electric ones are working alright. That Colonial AS video gave us a pretty good idea of what we were getting, sight unseen. It is our third AS, so we knew the brand. Two weeks before we took off for Florida for four weeks. Not the ideal way to purchase. Pulled it from Chicago to home in snow and ice. At night.. I was questioning my own sanity by the time we got home.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:56 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
Having owned a 2020 FC, and now a 2021 International I can offer that we much prefer the cabinets in the Int.,as well as the power awning.
We went from 25 ft. Queen to 28 ft. Twins and the extra space offered by the twins in the Int., is like having another entire “room” in the trailer.
We’ve been extremely pleased. Good luck!
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:35 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
I’ll try to simplify this. Basically the difference is how luxurious you want the trailer to be. More luxury means more equipment, gadgets and better interior styling (although this depends on everyone’s taste). With more luxury comes more weight, so that is really important to keep in mind.

In order of most luxurious to least luxurious:

Classic
Pottery Barn
Globetrotter
International
Flying Cloud
Caravel
Bambi

The way I would go about deciding is:

- what can you tow (weight-wise)
- what interior styling do you like the most?
- and then look at the equipment which is fundamental. I’ve met so many owners who buy a Flying Cloud but then miss the electric stabilizers, the nicer mattress, the second AC and what not and then add them at higher costs afterwards.

On the outside the shell is always the same, with the huge difference that I think the Flying Cloud has the rear garage door opening – which I would love to have. Also the style of the tires changes for each model.
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
I’ll try to simplify this. Basically the difference is how luxurious you want the trailer to be. More luxury means more equipment, gadgets and better interior styling (although this depends on everyone’s taste). With more luxury comes more weight, so that is really important to keep in mind.

In order of most luxurious to least luxurious:

Classic
Pottery Barn
Globetrotter
International
Flying Cloud
Caravel
Bambi

and just to keep things confusing our 2017 is a Flying Cloud Bambi and is pretty much identical to a new Caravel. So AS does tend to change designations with MY.