Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2024, 09:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
Is this normal? Issues with new 2024 Globetrotter 30ft RBTwin

First, let me start with I am a trusting fool.
Now that's out of the way,
I have attached 2 photos of the factory order 2024 Globetrotter 30ft RBTwin I took delivery this month.

Should I be concerned with these axles that are rusted, can they just be painted or need replacement?
Do these holding tanks look normal with the patches or should I be concerned there was damage?
Is there anything else I should look for underneath my trailer to make sure all issues are addressed?
I can go underneath tomorrow if you can tell me what to check for and take pictures of, I would greatly appreciate it.

I am currently gathering information about my trailer, so that I can now advocate for myself after not so great experiences with my dealership. My dealership hid damage from me even when specifically asked and now will not disclose what they have claimed in warranty or show me the warranty claims.

I'm trying to find out for myself, and not quite sure what to look for. Any help would mean so much.

Again, I am a trusting fool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9021.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	441144   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8912.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	382.0 KB
ID:	441145  

limonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 05:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
I would certainly be disappointed to receive a trailer in that condition. It must have been towed through some heavily salted roads making the trip from the factory to the dealer for delivery. The axles and brake components are heavy steel and won't be compromised by the corrosion but one would have thought the factory paint would offer more protection than it did. You could ask the dealer to clean it up and repaint but beyond that you're probably stuck with it.

The panels are for access to the tanks and are normal.
Old 02-18-2024, 05:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
First, welcome to the Airstream owner's community. You have a very nice Airstream and I hope it brings you many travel adventures. I find these Airstream Forums very helpful to me. I hope you will too.

I believe the rust on your axles is normal. I don't know how your new trailer was delivered to your dealer, but many of them are towed there by contract towing outfits. If so, they likely encountered wet winter roads with deicer on them. That can propagate rust rather quickly. Next time you are at the dealer, look under other new trailers in the showroom. I bet you will find the same thing. Dexter builds robust trailer axles but they likely don't invest in fancy paints for them. I hope other Airstream owners will chime in and express their experiences. I have a 37 year old Limited 34' Airstream with three axles and they have rust on them. They look bad, but they function well. No worries I say. I have never heard of a axle problem related to rust. You're new Globetrotter will last decades.

The "patches" on your fresh water tank pan may very well be "access panels" to access the plumbing to the tank. There may be a connection to the fresh water fill hose to tank under that panel, and there may be a "pump suction line" connection under the other smaller "patch". You can ask your dealer's service guys if that might be the case. Don't trust my speculations.

No need to trust, just get the facts. As they say "knowledge is power" and I hope folks more knowledgeable than I will help us out with facts. I will learn too.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2309 Baker City Oregon-800x600.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	441146  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 06:02 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
West Chester , Ohio
limonade, welcome to the Forums! That is a lot of rust on a new trailer. If you just took delivery, it looks like the trailer was towed through some heavily salted roads and then not cleaned off. I think it can be cleaned up and re-painted. At this point it is probably just surface rust. The entire underbody should be cleaned to remove any residual salt. The panels cut in the underbody around the water tank suggests it was opened up to repair something inside. It would be great if AS made those panels when new but I don't think they do. The dealer should let you know what was done. If not, you can open them up and look. You may be able to call AS direct and ask them what warranty work was done based on the trailer's VIN.

As far as what to look for underneath, I would check for wires connecting all brakes and make sure the electrical ground connections look good. The propane lines should be well secured.

When you get all this sorted out, you will have a great trailer to explore this wonderful country!

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2020 GMC 2500
LeatherDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 09:09 AM   #5

1993 34' Excella
Saucier , Mississippi
If that is a 2024 that is not good. My airstream is a 2004 and my axles look much better then yours. At that rate they are not going to last over a few years before they rust all the way through. since its new there should be no patches anywhere expecially for the price you had to pay.
RCGARDNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 09:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Axles look tough.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:34 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Brush Prairie , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by limonade View Post
First, let me start with I am a trusting fool.
Now that's out of the way,
I have attached 2 photos of the factory order 2024 Globetrotter 30ft RBTwin I took delivery this month.

Should I be concerned with these axles that are rusted, can they just be painted or need replacement?
Do these holding tanks look normal with the patches or should I be concerned there was damage?
Is there anything else I should look for underneath my trailer to make sure all issues are addressed?
I can go underneath tomorrow if you can tell me what to check for and take pictures of, I would greatly appreciate it.

I am currently gathering information about my trailer, so that I can now advocate for myself after not so great experiences with my dealership. My dealership hid damage from me even when specifically asked and now will not disclose what they have claimed in warranty or show me the warranty claims.

I'm trying to find out for myself, and not quite sure what to look for. Any help would mean so much.

Again, I am a trusting fool.
Man, that simply sucks! By Chance, are you dealing with a Lithia owned dealership?
Knotflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 09:39 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
Like many others have said, it's most likely from transport. I would see if the dealer will power wash the underside, to mitigate any potential corrosion. You can do it yourself will, at least give you the satisfaction that it was done to your liking.

I would say, any panel below that has screws in it are access panels. As you can see, most of the underbelly is held in place with rivets.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:43 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
Thank you all for responding, I appreciate so much all the time everyone has taken. I understand things happen in transport and some is expected. I just want to know what is going on with my trailer so I can make sure things are addressed/caught early, how it's going to impact the long term life of the trailer and me financially.

There are other issues like 5 lower panel replacements (4 confirmed by corp and approved for replacement) that is needed, which was kept from us until after signing paperwork and they were not forthcoming about it.

During orientation (which is a separate appointment from signing and a later date after signing) we noticed an issue with one panel and the tech left and returned telling us there was some damage and a warranty claim was already filed, then said that at the end of the orientation after being hitch up we would have a chance to go over the damages. We were told this repeatedly throughout the orientation as we noted damage to the exterior.

Why would we sign at a separate appointment before orientation you ask? We were told this was the process and trusted them.

This makes me concerned as to if there are further issues we are unaware of and should be looking for. Anything else you can think of to look for, please let me know. I want to prevent as many surprises as I can if there are known issues.

We have requested a few times from our dealership service department for a list of issues they are aware of or what items have been filed for warranty claims and they are refusing to release them to us. I did call corporate and they told me about what they could see on their end but I either didn't hear or one panel issue was not included. And I'm wondering if there is more.

@tbrowne
@leatherdog
@dbj216
@trons4u
Do they all have these access panels/patches from factory or is this indicative of work being done at the dealership? If this is not from factory build but after, I don't want to use a jack, I'm not familiar with it, and was wondering if those trailer tire changing ramps would be an option to use to give me little more room underneath? If I open the panels can I post photos and someone can tell me what is normal? I wish the service department was more forthcoming, but unfortunately they are not. Nothing about the tanks was mentioned when I contacted corp in what they had regarding warranty claims.

@rcgarner
is there anyway to claim/prove they diminished life of the axle, that is what my concern is. If it is purely cosmetic, at least it matches the rusted out stabilizers

***The front 3 lower panels lit up like a Christmas tree as soon as they had us pull it out in front of their service office in to the light. Here is the best photo I could get where you could see it. Just a sample of what was going on that we were lied to about when we asked directly about damage during the transport process.

***I have learned a darkened show room at orientation is a red flag (amongst other lessons I have learned from my experience)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8871.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	441164   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8873.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	441165  

Old 02-18-2024, 10:48 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotflying View Post
Man, that simply sucks! By Chance, are you dealing with a Lithia owned dealership?
Curious why you ask, are you dealing with lithia or are thinking of working with lithia?
Old 02-18-2024, 11:02 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
West Chester , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by limonade View Post
Thank you all for responding, I appreciate so much all the time everyone has taken. I understand things happen in transport and some is expected. I just want to know what is going on with my trailer so I can make sure things are addressed/caught early, how it's going to impact the long term life of the trailer and me financially.

There are other issues like 5 lower panel replacements (4 confirmed by corp and approved for replacement) that is needed, which was kept from us until after signing paperwork and they were not forthcoming about it.

During orientation (which is a separate appointment from signing and a later date after signing) we noticed an issue with one panel and the tech left and returned telling us there was some damage and a warranty claim was already filed, then said that at the end of the orientation after being hitch up we would have a chance to go over the damages. We were told this repeatedly throughout the orientation as we noted damage to the exterior.

Why would we sign at a separate appointment before orientation you ask? We were told this was the process and trusted them.

This makes me concerned as to if there are further issues we are unaware of and should be looking for. Anything else you can think of to look for, please let me know. I want to prevent as many surprises as I can if there are known issues.

We have requested a few times from our dealership service department for a list of issues they are aware of or what items have been filed for warranty claims and they are refusing to release them to us. I did call corporate and they told me about what they could see on their end but I either didn't hear or one panel issue was not included. And I'm wondering if there is more.

@tbrowne
@leatherdog
@dbj216
@trons4u
Do they all have these access panels/patches from factory or is this indicative of work being done at the dealership? If this is not from factory build but after, I don't want to use a jack, I'm not familiar with it, and was wondering if those trailer tire changing ramps would be an option to use to give me little more room underneath? If I open the panels can I post photos and someone can tell me what is normal? I wish the service department was more forthcoming, but unfortunately they are not. Nothing about the tanks was mentioned when I contacted corp in what they had regarding warranty claims.

@rcgarner
is there anyway to claim/prove they diminished life of the axle, that is what my concern is. If it is purely cosmetic, at least it matches the rusted out stabilizers

***The front 3 lower panels lit up like a Christmas tree as soon as they had us pull it out in front of their service office in to the light. Here is the best photo I could get where you could see it. Just a sample of what was going on that we were lied to about when we asked directly about damage during the transport process.

***I have learned a darkened show room at orientation is a red flag (amongst other lessons I have learned from my experience)

limonade, to my knowledge, there are no access panels in the underbelly when delivered from the factory. The underbelly is covered by a solid sheet and if you need to service any of the water valves, you need to make your own access hole/panel.

It is hard to tell from your photos exactly what is wrong in those panels but it is not normal. If it is actually corrosion and not just salt stains, the dealer or AS should replace them. Given that, I would carefully inspect the rest of the exterior, including the roof, to see if additional damage occurred.

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2020 GMC 2500
LeatherDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 11:10 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherDog View Post
limonade, to my knowledge, there are no access panels in the underbelly when delivered from the factory. The underbelly is covered by a solid sheet and if you need to service any of the water valves, you need to make your own access hole/panel.

It is hard to tell from your photos exactly what is wrong in those panels but it is not normal. If it is actually corrosion and not just salt stains, the dealer or AS should replace them. Given that, I would carefully inspect the rest of the exterior, including the roof, to see if additional damage occurred.
Thank you about the information regarding the access panels added after delivery. I will look further into it as it was not disclosed and corp did not mention it being submitted.

The flecks on all the the panels have been confirmed to have corrosion and the dings throughout penetrated/compromised the clear coat. I have more close up pictures of the filiform corrosion, Along with many other issues, including other panel issues but they have been confirmed for replacement by corporate. I just wanted to show so others don't make the same mistake. I specifically asked if there was any damage or issues during transport and was told no. We did not see all of this in their poorly lit showroom.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:40 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Petrolia , Ontario
Is this normal?

Looking at your second photo, I’d say no, this is a long way off from “normal”. The corrosion on that axle looks like heavy scale and that shouldn’t happen for 20 or more years let alone on a delivery trip cross country. That axel looks like a cast away from an old trailer. A little paint will not cure that issue. I’d be contacting Jackson Centre ASAP. Send them photos and any information you can provide. Salted air couldn’t possibly cause that much damage to brand new steel.
As for the “inspection ports”, those are highly unusual. This looks like a second hand trailer. Have another close look at the VIN plate on the front of your trailer. I have a hard time believing Airstream would think this is acceptable straight off the assembly line.

The best of luck to you.
Airstream used to monitor discussions on the Forum although I haven’t seen them chime in lately. I’d bet they’ll do their best to help you out.

I still believe, but then, I like Coolaid too.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:46 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
2018 27' International
Okemos , Michigan
Questions…….

Just for clarity, did you purchase this as a “new” trailer or as just a 2024 model year. Suspect that should be somewhere in the paperwork. Also, what was the manufacture date on trailer…a2024 could be as old as 8 months out of build. Have u checked Car-fax for history? Got a good attorney? Good luck….
llhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 11:55 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage to Caravan View Post
Looking at your second photo, I’d say no, this is a long way off from “normal”. The corrosion on that axle looks like heavy scale and that shouldn’t happen for 20 or more years let alone on a delivery trip cross country. That axel looks like a cast away from an old trailer. A little paint will not cure that issue. I’d be contacting Jackson Centre ASAP. Send them photos and any information you can provide. Salted air couldn’t possibly cause that much damage to brand new steel.
As for the “inspection ports”, those are highly unusual. This looks like a second hand trailer. Have another close look at the VIN plate on the front of your trailer. I have a hard time believing Airstream would think this is acceptable straight off the assembly line.

The best of luck to you.
Airstream used to monitor discussions on the Forum although I haven’t seen them chime in lately. I’d bet they’ll do their best to help you out.

I still believe, but then, I like Coolaid too.
Is the vin sticker on the forward end of the side panel the same as the vin plate? I'm sorry, I'm so new to this. I spoke a little bit with corp and they confirmed some of the issues we found, however made it seem as the issue is now with the dealership.

After being directly lied to when asked about issues or damage during transport, they had us sign prior to a walkthrough/orientation which was scheduled at a later date. They then told us we had to finish the orientation and hitch first before noting or discussing any damage, which we learned from corp after the fact, that once you hitch you have accepted delivery.

Okay, so I will include photos of the access panels. I will double check vin once you confirm if plate is different. Any tips on what major things to look out for structurally?
Old 02-18-2024, 12:01 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by llhenn View Post
Just for clarity, did you purchase this as a “new” trailer or as just a 2024 model year. Suspect that should be somewhere in the paperwork. Also, what was the manufacture date on trailer…a2024 could be as old as 8 months out of build. Have u checked Car-fax for history? Got a good attorney? Good luck….
This is a brand new factory order. Corp confirmed date it came off the line, but I will look at vin plate as was suggested by @portagetocaravan Jim. Some of the paperwork we noticed they had backdated 5 days prior to when we went in for signing, we noticed when returned home. Condition says new.

Should I get an attorney? I signed arbitration papers! Like I said, I trusted the wolf.
Old 02-18-2024, 02:24 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
2018 27' International
Okemos , Michigan
Clarification of mfgr date….

On the roadside at front of trlr will be stickers verifying weights, model and month/year of mfgr. When was it made and when did you order?
llhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 03:00 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
snohomish , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by llhenn View Post
On the roadside at front of trlr will be stickers verifying weights, model and month/year of mfgr. When was it made and when did you order?
It is new, corp confirmed. Mfg January 2024 order was placed October 2023. Vin plate on front matches as well.
Old 02-18-2024, 03:40 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1996 34' Limited
Calgary , Alberta
axles rusted etc.

I have told this story before. AS builds the best trailer on the road. It is still not the half of what it should be for the price you pay. The rust is excessive for a new unit but not something to be concerned about unless the originals were damage in transit and replaced. The access panels should not be there or should have been pointed out to prior to sale. If you can fix the body panels with paintless dent repair it is much better than installing new panels. Some folks think I recommend this to save $ (it will) but mainly, the original rivet job is almost always better than the replacement job and the sealing of the seam is always better as the majority of the sealing is done from the inside prior to the interior finish being installed. Friends of mine deliver RVs. they get paid almost nothing and damage is common. They get paid by the mile so they travel fast. We presently have 4 airstreams of various vintages in various stages of body off renovation so I know of what I speak. Best of luck. Get the repairs done then find a better dealer.
Richard59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 04:20 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Woodinville , Washington
You’ve gathered a great deal of information which will be helpful. Pretty soon, you’ll have the task of deciding how you want it resolved. Based on what you’ve said, it sounds like this dealer has been deceitful, underhanded, and downright sleazy in this transaction. I hear you scolding yourself for being so trusting, but I think it’s natural to expect certain base level things in a transaction like this one. You don’t expect prior damage, you don’t expect hidden damage, and you don’t expect known but undeclared damage. We all get that the dealer will try to get every penny out of you they can, and may lie about future price increases or others waiting to but the same unit you’re interested in, but you don’t expect this. If it were me, I’d strive for a full refund and buy the same unit through another more trustworthy dealer. I just don’t think I’d trust much of anything from them at this point. Sorry you’re going through this. Not fun.

2024.5 Globetrotter 27 on order
2021 F150 Powerboost Limited
kmayer is offline   Reply With Quote