Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2019, 01:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
[QUOTE=bickp;2277092]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Fill scratches with a clear coat pen immediately.

Never heard of a clear coat pen. My son dragged the plastic trash cans against my brand new AS the week it came home. I've polished over them several times but they are visible and a cause for concern.

Where do I get a clear cost pen for a 2019 AS?
I've had the best luck with the clear coat pens that Airstream sells. They don't yellow as fast as most.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:21 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Lexington , Kentucky
I have found these types of things are profit enhancers for the dealer. I have generally passed on these or negotiate them away. Same for cars and RVs. Airstream materials in my view are pretty high quality and pretty well suited to the outdoors and 'some' rough treatment - I have been very happy not having this extra 'protection'.
ocropper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ish-98387.html

Glare is great for protecting your airstream.
cru-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:35 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cru-in View Post
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ish-98387.html

Glare is great for protecting your airstream.
I've used GLARE on my trailers for 4 years. The best value is to buy a gallon from GLARE directly. You'll avoid the potential eBay etc fake Glare, and price per unit is still much lower.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:40 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Moss Beach , California
How to keep the shine

The coating cannot hurt. You pay a lot for your coach...why stop short? In the meantime (or instead of) I recommend a product called HydroSilex. Buy their Soap, their prep solution Rewind and their ‘Marine’ version of the HydroSilex and follow the directions. I will never wax anything again! Yes it is that good. And use it on windows, walls, counters, cushions etc. Keeping the shine on afterwards is a breeeze.
Tsurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:45 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Troutdale , Oregon
For what it's worth, I had a nano-coating product called ToughGuard applied to two new Airstreams (and my truck), and have been very happy with the results. My 2015 FC is now 5 years old, has never been waxed, and still looks like new.
Spamcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:23 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Miami Beach , Florida
Don't buy the extra coverage or the trailer itself. Read the quality issues that many new AS owners are experiencing. I was one week away from taking the plunge along with my two best buddies, total of 3 trailers. But the quality issues are not worth the price and even if you have coverage, the dealers and AS are swamped for months with warranty repairs.
rsementi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:02 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
@rsementi a little off topic, but why are you just lurking around this forum spreading negativity instead of contributing positivity to the community?
Did I read your post correctly that you don’t even own an Airstream (and May never based on your comment) yet you’re here bashing them. Why not join another forum for SOB that has just as many problems if not more instead of wasting your time here? Or do you have some sort of social justice warrior cause here?

Don’t mean to throw mud here. Just a few questions I have to hopefully spark conversation - not hate or negativity

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:37 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Miami Beach , Florida
i think it is positive for ppl in this community to beware of AS quality before they spend $150,000+ on a trailer, that's why.
Yes, you are correct, I was a few days away from buying one, plus my 2 friends, and we got discouraged because we read the way too many quality issues from new AS owners. Then we read how AS was going to form a committee to solve the gross amount of issues, but it was then revealed that it was internal lip service because they are not really addressing the issue like Toyota taught the world car industry over 30 years ago with the policy they call "kaizen" which means "continuous improvement". They will actually stop the production line if there is a quality issue or quality suggestion, and the worker is rewarded for it. AS has been around a long time yet they never would do such a thing, especially lately since sales are so good. But they better be wary because I just read a scary report that there was a huge drop in RV sales for this past July, as low as it was in the summer of 2008, right before the Great Recession.
So you call that bashing (not hate or negativity though, huh?), I call it telling the truth.
I really had my heart set on buying and AS but I was luckily and thoroughly discouraged by other AS owners on this forum. And yes, I am on other owner's groups FYI, so that I can be aware of issues before I buy, as I do before all my major purchases, "let the buyer beware" and that is nothing to do with social justice and everything to do with being a smart buyer, without slinging any mud.
Lastly, since you own an AS and if you are happy with it, then great, I hope you enjoy it. I have found another type of RV (class B) and the best brand that makes it. In the meantime, that I will continue to read the feedback on this forum and when and if quality of AS improves, then I will reconsider.
rsementi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:28 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsementi View Post
i think it is positive for ppl in this community to beware of AS quality before they spend $150,000+ on a trailer, that's why.
Yes, you are correct, I was a few days away from buying one, plus my 2 friends, and we got discouraged because we read the way too many quality issues from new AS owners. Then we read how AS was going to form a committee to solve the gross amount of issues, but it was then revealed that it was internal lip service because they are not really addressing the issue like Toyota taught the world car industry over 30 years ago with the policy they call "kaizen" which means "continuous improvement". They will actually stop the production line if there is a quality issue or quality suggestion, and the worker is rewarded for it. AS has been around a long time yet they never would do such a thing, especially lately since sales are so good. But they better be wary because I just read a scary report that there was a huge drop in RV sales for this past July, as low as it was in the summer of 2008, right before the Great Recession.
So you call that bashing (not hate or negativity though, huh?), I call it telling the truth.
I really had my heart set on buying and AS but I was luckily and thoroughly discouraged by other AS owners on this forum. And yes, I am on other owner's groups FYI, so that I can be aware of issues before I buy, as I do before all my major purchases, "let the buyer beware" and that is nothing to do with social justice and everything to do with being a smart buyer, without slinging any mud.
Lastly, since you own an AS and if you are happy with it, then great, I hope you enjoy it. I have found another type of RV (class B) and the best brand that makes it. In the meantime, that I will continue to read the feedback on this forum and when and if quality of AS improves, then I will reconsider.
There are a lot of great used deals out there. You might find one that was made prior to the recent "quality" crisis.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:00 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Moss Beach , California
What it’s worth

OK...I am responding to the “Is It Worth It” post.

Nothing in this world is perfect. There are better motorcycles than Harley and still they are the number one choice if you choose to afford one and then invest in the ‘must’ upgrades. Airstreams have a similar aura. And when we walked the fair grounds at a 2018 RV show we saw just about everything. After hours on our feet we finally sat down in a entry level 22’ Bambi Sport. It was instant. This was our first ever trailer and we bought it on the spot.

We were completely new to trailering but the handmade coach we were sitting in was far beyond the other inexpensively made and priced comparisons we had spent the day being disappointed in. Did we leave the dealership on our first trip in our trailer and live happily ever after? Of course not. Is the Airstream mother ship in Ohio at fault for the trailers short comings? Of course. Did the dealership honor the warranty and attack every single problem? You bet they did. Are we still enjoying our aluminum castle? Yes we are and we are in the 6th month of a 7 month trip across the American Mid-West as I type. Will we have issues with out coach when we get home? Yes. Will they be addressed? Yes.

In closing I want to point out that nothing man made lasts forever. Everything made by man has defects. The men and women on the assemble floors are not all equal either. Some are fastidious and some are sloppy. In fact the guy who sealed the flooring in our shower must have been drunk based on the accuracy of the glue. But who cares really...it have never leaked or failed in any conditions...100 degrees and baking or 30 degrees and freezing the entire coach keeps on working. So have the initial road test failures dealt with and then go enjoy what you have and be happy! You are an Airstreamer and if you choose to join the WBCCI you will have the chance to travel with many many awesome people who become lifelong friends.

If you buy something for less and get more then financially you win. I am sitting in Roswell New Mexico this morning with my wife and two dogs. We are waiting for the mother spaceship to arrive and beam us up! I’ll bet their ship is an Airstream

Thomas Sheffield
650-619-4091
Tsurfs is offline   Reply With Quote