Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2017, 09:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Arlington Heights , Alabama
Inspection for Used Unit

I am considering the purchase of a 2016 Classic - only used on one trip (buyer bought a larger 5th wheel). It is being sold by an RV dealer who took in in as a trade. Dealer is large and has decent ratings online. Should I consider an inspection before finalizing the purchase, and if so, who can I use - location is in Grand Rapids MI.

BTW, currently own a 40 ft diesel pusher.
rgg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:47 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Is the dealer giving you any sort of guarantees? I'm not suggesting that eliminates the need for getting it looked at. It might make it a bit less vital. The gotcha with "used on one trip" is that it may not have all the bugs shaken out of it.

You might also ask what the original sales date was. It is remotely possible that it still is inside the 2 year warranty.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
Inspection for Used Unit

I know the dealer. I have purchased from them in the past. They are very reliable. No need for an inspection. If it's the Airstream dealer I'm thinking of.

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
There are people in the forums who will inspect a unit for you and I would absolutely do that if I were buying a used unit. You should also check with the factory in how much of the warranty is (or isn't) left. If you have some time left in the warranty and find something wrong you can get it taken care of. Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:22 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
inspection for used unit

Craig and Chad at Woodland are top notch. I bought a used Classic from them sight unseen and they made everything right. Very trustworthy guys.
Chatooga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:34 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Thx - all good suggestions. I will be looking for an inspection resource to check it out. The dealer tells me that there is no warranty remaining - but not sure that is accurate since it is a 2016 model. I also found another 2016 Classic in FL for about the same price with tow hitch and tools included / and with a extended warranty from rvforever.com. Has anyone heard of RV forever warranties? Appreciate all the help!
Old 07-26-2017, 05:35 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatooga11 View Post
Craig and Chad at Woodland are top notch. I bought a used Classic from them sight unseen and they made everything right. Very trustworthy guys.

Sorry - I meant to say All Seasons RV in Muskegon MI - have any experience with them?
Old 07-26-2017, 06:10 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgg123 View Post
Thx - all good suggestions. I will be looking for an inspection resource to check it out. The dealer tells me that there is no warranty remaining - but not sure that is accurate since it is a 2016 model. I also found another 2016 Classic in FL for about the same price with tow hitch and tools included / and with a extended warranty from rvforever.com. Has anyone heard of RV forever warranties? Appreciate all the help!
Hi

Third party RV warranties range from useless to awful. If you want to have fun, sit down with the *real* documentation about what they do or don't cover. Then head off to the few hundred threads here discussing how successful people were at getting them to honor the warranty.

2016's were made from June 2015 through June 2016. They could easily have been sold new in November of 2016. Having a factory warranty still in force would be unusual.

I would trust the guarantees of a good dealer more than I would any other "feature" in one of these deals. If they stand behind used stuff they sell, that covers a lot of things.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:11 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Third party RV warranties range from useless to awful. If you want to have fun, sit down with the *real* documentation about what they do or don't cover. Then head off to the few hundred threads here discussing how successful people were at getting them to honor the warranty.

2016's were made from June 2015 through June 2016. They could easily have been sold new in November of 2016. Having a factory warranty still in force would be unusual.

I would trust the guarantees of a good dealer more than I would any other "feature" in one of these deals. If they stand behind used stuff they sell, that covers a lot of things.

Bob

Good deal Bob - thx!