Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2011, 10:41 PM   #1

swan river , Manitoba
identify me please!

Hi there

I have been admiring this trailer parked in a field for the past 8 or so years, and finally was able to speak with the owner who is willing to consider selling it to me...can anyone help identify it just from these pictures? Sorry for so little info; the owner let us take these few pics, but had zero information on the model/age of the trailer. The trailer is standing am hour away, and we thought that maybe we would be able to identify it from the pictures we took by searching online. How foolish we were. Please help, if you can! http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...1&d=1303101351

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...1&d=1303101351
http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...1&d=1303101426
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00158.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	677.5 KB
ID:	127318   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00157.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	687.6 KB
ID:	127319  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00156.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	435.7 KB
ID:	127320  
wendymother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
According to the VIN it is a 1957 California built 26 ft Overlander.
57Overlander
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Hard with just front and rear pics, but I'd say it may be a 1957 Overlander.

Check out the vintage Airstream photo archives here: 1957 Overlander

Hopefully someone way more knowledgeable than me will check in.

I do love '57's.

And, welcome to the forums.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
I sold a 57 California overlander and it was a 13 panel so maybe this one is a little newer?
Looks like another great project.
Doug

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:19 AM   #5

swan river , Manitoba
axle question

Thanks for responding so quickly! We are planning to drive back later this week, so will post more pics and hopefully have more info.

My husband is quite certain that the trailer has two axles...is this a possible modification someone has done, or could this be original? Was this an available option?

From the pictures he has been looking at, he was thinking, until you all responded, that it is a 61-63 Overlander...because of the two axles.

Also: we are totally new to this market, and would love some input on what is most important to look for when we check out this trailer. If you could give us some pointers, or direct me to another resource with a "buying a vintage Airstream for dummies" kinda feel, it would be most appreciated!!!!

Thanks again, everyone.

Cheers,
Wendy
Old 04-18-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
I think tandem axles were an option at that time.

You'll be getting into a major project if you buy her and you need to be realistic with yourself about that. I'm a little over 2 years into my '57 and nearly, but not quite, done. Looks like the outside skin is in pretty good shape with no major dents. That's important. Window frames are a big deal too as they are quite hard to come by if you need replacements. There's probably at least one messed up window where that air conditioner sticks out the side.

Otherwise, the inside is likely a mess. The subfloor will be rotten and there will probably be rust issues with the frame. Everything is fixable though and just takes time and money.

There are a bunch of good threads around documenting restoration projects that'll give you a good idea of what it'll take.

'57's do rock.

-steve

Old 04-18-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
x

XXXX , XXXX
Wendy work on the assumption that everything needs to be replaced. Frame, floor, all appliances, plumbing, electrical, axle(s), and two windows that I can see, etc. The shell does look to be in fair condition and that is what you are really buying. Maybe the cabinets are salvageable, that depends on how much exposure to the elements the interior has had.
Like Steve said expect to do a major renovation, most probably a shell off restoration. It will take $20K at least to do it right.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:40 AM   #8

swan river , Manitoba
wow.

Thanks again for the speedy response.

Any one willing to take a shot at what we should offer...? I know it's near impossible without more info, or even interior pics, but we are thinking 1K or maybe even less, given what we have been reading here...are we nuts?

My husband got a quick peek at the interior, which was almost completely filled with junk. The owner hasn't towed it since 2003.

Also: we just noticed on one of our pics that it looks like some living creature is jumping out a vent in the side. Wonder if they want extra for it?!

We just finished re-doing a 1973 Boler...maybe our Robin's Egg will have to find a new lover.

Sigh. This looks like more of a commitment, for sure.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Not over $500.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Maybe it's jumping in!

[QUOTE=wendymother;980126]Thanks again for the speedy response.

Also: we just noticed on one of our pics that it looks like some living creature is jumping out a vent in the side. Wonder if they want extra for it?!

Your critter looks like a cat to me. If I'm right, it's going in, not out. Maybe that's a good thing considering what a mouse population can do to a trailer.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
I know I'm in the minority here with this attitude, but I don't think the purchase price makes that much difference. Whether you pay $500 or $1000 or $2000, it'll be a drop in the bucket compared to what you will be spending. If it's the right trailer for you, buy it.

cheers,
steve

Old 04-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #12

swan river , Manitoba
All very helpful; thanks!

Steve: I think I'm with you on this. Eight years of drive-bys should likely be telling me something! Now to figure out how to get it from there to here safely. Better catch that kitty first!

I will post some more pics when we seal the deal!

Thanks again, all!
Old 04-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #13
x

XXXX , XXXX
Wendy you say the trailer is an hour away. I would save the effort in trying to get it roadwortht where it is and just have it flatbed towed to your location.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
we have just bought a 1959 overlander paid $1600.- for it.
interior is complete with all appliances. When we bought it, we expected to do a complete renovation. this way , we are not in for any surprises.
after pulling it slowly home (4hrs at 35 to 40 mph) , we started stripping everything . exactly 24hrs of labor later, the shell was sitting in one corner and the frame totally stripped in another..
accessing the damage on it, we did not do too bad.. all appliances work. frame only needs partial repair..
overall.. if you prepare yourself for the worst, you will be surprised ,if some parts are still good.

good luck
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote