Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
Rivet Dude

1972 21' Globetrotter
1987 34' Excella
yep, still on the road , On The Road
I just need to vent.

Greetings:

I just wanted to vent a bit, no reply is required. I have been looking for an AS to purchase on this venue, CL, and a few others. I have called the Ph #'s listed, sent e-mails, and posted my interest. Cudos to the people who have responded honestly, and with honor. However, to those who only seem to be posting on every possible website, do not return phone calls or e-mails, "go fish someplace else".
I understand fishing. Sitting by the shore, watching the view, talking to oneself. Catch a fish! Grand, no fish, what a beautiful day I had. I watch my little dog, content in the rays of sunshine, a butterfly, or a quick shadow that brings her tail wagging. Search for my new baby AS. Oh my! Tonight, feeling a bit let down. Have seen mostly ghetto property on wheels. No self respecting crack head would claim the vehicle I saw today. OK, I got a big chuckle later on, but where is Carole Burnett when you need her?
Now, I do feel better. I know a triple axel, double door model is in my future. (with luck). I know somebody out there wants their baby to be treated right, and serviced with care and understanding.
Retirement is grand, and I look ahead to the challenges with gusto.
So, check out my post on rigs wanted. And in the future, wave as I cruise by.

Have had a collection of barets for most of my life. Only recently did I feel so in.

Airjeff
airjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
carson city , Nevada
Been looking also. Had a 2005 28 Safari slide out in my sights but was sold before I could jump. There might be a recession, there might be RV dealers hurting, but used AS trailers in good shape go fast. Very fast.
jmtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Welcome Airjeff...

You will find the perfect airstream. When you least expect it the perfect one will pop up in some classified and you will drag er home..

Keep sniffin it out.

Goodluck

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjeff View Post
greetings:

i just wanted to vent a bit, no reply is required. I have been looking for an as to purchase on this venue, cl, and a few others. I have called the ph #'s listed, sent e-mails, and posted my interest. Cudos to the people who have responded honestly, and with honor. However, to those who only seem to be posting on every possible website, do not return phone calls or e-mails, "go fish someplace else".
I understand fishing. Sitting by the shore, watching the view, talking to oneself. Catch a fish! Grand, no fish, what a beautiful day i had. I watch my little dog, content in the rays of sunshine, a butterfly, or a quick shadow that brings her tail wagging. Search for my new baby as. Oh my! Tonight, feeling a bit let down. Have seen mostly ghetto property on wheels. No self respecting crack head would claim the vehicle i saw today. Ok, i got a big chuckle later on, but where is carole burnett when you need her?
Now, i do feel better. I know a triple axel, double door model is in my future. (with luck). I know somebody out there wants their baby to be treated right, and serviced with care and understanding.
Retirement is grand, and i look ahead to the challenges with gusto.
So, check out my post on rigs wanted. And in the future, wave as i cruise by.

Have had a collection of barets for most of my life. Only recently did i feel so in.

Airjeff

welcome!
Xbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
with the reccession part of the result is going to be less late model used units on the market.i hear on these forums about lowballing sellers,but based on my research im not sure how well that is going to work.if you find a used trailer in good shape for a reasonable price,the shelf life will be days on the market before it is gone.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Remember, you have to kiss a lot of frogs when looking for something just right. Along the way each unit you look at will teach you more. This way when you find the AS that is just right you'll know and there will be no hesitation to jump right in.

Happy Hunting!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Trust me. I understand your frustration!!!! Rae

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:18 AM   #8

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Been there done that! Lots of old ads on rvt and they don't respond because it sold. I wish they would take the ad down once it's sold. I tried low balling... It didn't work but I found a great unit at a fair price. Is there a recession? Couldn't tell by how fast new and used units are selling!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:40 AM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Hang in there, the perfect Airstream will turn up.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Ruther Glen , Virginia
looks like im going to be selling my 2005 25' Safari, have not listed it to the public yet. feel free to contact me by e-mail
Dave
Old 03-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #11

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Also don't be afraid of purchasing long distance. They have inspectors listed on here. It works out very well. Happy hunting and wecome aboard!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #12
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Buy from a dealer. They have a selection of nice clean units in good repair, all ready to go. They will help you set up your tow vehicle, pick the accessories you need, and see you down the road with the least hassles. They have people on the payroll just to answer the phone, answer your questions and sell you a trailer.

I know the dealer may cost a little more but as you are finding out, there good Airstreams and cheap Airstreams but there are no good cheap Airstreams. The cheap ones are cheap for a reason if you get my drift. A good Airstream costs money. For you it is probably worthwhile to pay a little more for the convenience and the guarantee.

Comments on who is the best dealer in your area have probably been posted in other threads, or if you want to ask I am sure you will get some frank and helpful replies.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Yes, welcome to the Forums. I, like you, saw a lot of junk - no matte where I looked. And I looked and looked. Went to several dealers also. Read the want ads for several papers, e.g. in L.A., Phoenix, Miami, etc. Cruised Craigslist and the Forum ads. Nothing. Then one day, THE trailer I'd been looking for popped up, and 48 hours later, with a little haggling, I'd written a check for it. The seller later told me that they'd gotten dozens of calls and emails before they had time to take down the ad. Moral(s): 1.) keep looking, it'll turn up sooner or later, and 2.) be prepared to move fast when it does.

Good luck, and happy hunting!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
It can take awhile. I looked at AS's in New Jersey, Texas, California, and Oregon before I found exactly what I wanted at the price I thought was fair and that was a new one.
hhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Airjef

In your hunt for the "Airstream of your dreams", don't discount the possibility of buying a unit that is in good condition at a good price, to use until the unit you are looking for comes along. "Close but no cigar" works, if it is nice. Nice units are easy to sell when the right one shows up.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Put "Airstream wanted" ads all over the place and in every newspaper and internet ad site you can think of. You may catch someone thinking of selling before it goes out there for everyone else to compete with.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote