Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2017, 12:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Cash, certified check, cashier's check.
Let the check clear before releasing the title.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #22

Culver , California
Wire transfer

We just sold a Born Free Class C and coordinated with Chase Bank for the sale and wire transfer. Met the buyers at the bank with all documents and Chase called their USAA bank and completed the transfer. It took about 20-30 minutes.
pocarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:03 PM   #23
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Bank drafts are often stolen and/or forged. Always call issuing bank to confirm the seller's status with the bank and the validity of the draft. Look up the banks phone number do not use the number furnished by the seller it could be a set up to fraud you.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:33 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I have sold some high dollar vehicles [semis cars etc.] only local met at my bank w/buyer then surrender title. Have pur. several high dollar on ebay only 1 time bad seller, money back by ebay pur. guarantee. For out of state as others have posted wire transfer only then title when money dep. my act.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:18 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
It's simple actually. , Money Orders, American Express, etc., and Cashier's Checks are not good because they are easily forged. Even banks have fallen for forged Cashier Checks and later reversed funds on the recipient. Do NOT accept a Cashier's Check.

Have the buyer's bank wire transfer funds directly to your bank. Have YOUR BANKER confirm the money has been received. Do not accept a call from an unknown person claiming to be your banker. YOU call YOUR bank officer to confirm. Lastly, this is important...DO NOT ACCEPT AN "ACH" TRANSFER!

An "ACH" transfer can also be defrauded. (ACH transfers work thru a wide-area federal system which is vulnerable.) Have the buyer's bank DIRECTLY transfer the money into your acct. Have your bank confirm the money is in your acct before handing over the title.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:10 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
I purchased in the US with a Canadian Bank Draft (in US funds) The draft can only be cashed by the individual named on the draft.
Sounds like this is a great idea if it is available in whatever US State you are transacting; and where you can also get the title notarized. Not sure I would worry about a fake draft. They usually have micro-printing and hidden image protections to thwart Photocopying and Fake Printing.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:51 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorge-ION View Post
I'm too chicken to carry much cash on my person.
Particularly, police have turned into highwaymen. The Pershing County, Nevada Sheriff's Office (the next town north of Fallon and on I-80) has a particularly bad reputation for seizing cash from anybody passing through. If you carry more than about $100 cash and they find out, they can seize it as "drug courier money". Attorney's fees to get your money back typically run ~$36k. One example was a man who won a considerable amount in Reno. A Pershing Deputy stopped him and seized all of it, wrote a receipt, and advised him to keep going and not try to get it back!
Many jurisdictions profit the same way. Civil forfeiture laws were written to seize money from drug lords so they wouldn't have the finances to fight in court. The legal fiction is, they are charging the money with a crime, not you. You must go to court and PROVE your money is legitimate; money doesn't have a Bill of Rights so it's not innocent until proven guilty: render unto Caesar! BTW, the nationwide average forfeiture is between $600 and $700.
Dave, the Scourge of the ION
I had no idea about civil forfeiture law. Designed to seize drug money, now reports of officers making random stops for cash seizures. I go to flea markets, yard sales, estate sales where cash is the only money accepted. This law, is being abused by law enforcement all over the country. A ''Black Asphalt'' money seizing program. Absolutely disgusting, how innocent peoples cash being seized without any criminal proof. Its bad enough worrying about the criminals, now you have to worry about the cops as well.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:38 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
I had no idea about civil forfeiture law. Designed to seize drug money, now reports of officers making random stops for cash seizures. I go to flea markets, yard sales, estate sales where cash is the only money accepted. This law, is being abused by law enforcement all over the country. A ''Black Asphalt'' money seizing program. Absolutely disgusting, how innocent peoples cash being seized without any criminal proof. Its bad enough worrying about the criminals, now you have to worry about the cops as well.
Verifiable source for this info and specific cases?
Not always the best practice to believe everything you read on the internet.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:11 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
A little off subject but yesterday had bank that I have done bus. with for years, refused check from cargil ag for sale of beans as they did not no who CARGIL AG is. this check small amount not large as some are. After second trip to bank taking settlement document other part of check removed from, then talking to vp they honored but holding funds until cleared. This check was deposited at time of refusal not cashed. Yes some banks will hold checks up to 5 days or clearing when cashed or dep.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:33 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post

I really thought anyone paying attention to the news over the last few years knew about the forfeiture abuse practices. Its happened in many states and has been in the news. I just googled "asset forfeiture abuse" and pulled up an entire screen of different articles. Read and weep.

On the other hand, if you appear to be a moderately prosperous couple or family pulling a reasonable beautiful Airstream, the all American couple/family, black or white, you are probably OK. That doesn't keep the police from seizing lots of other folks' money improperly, people traveling with their own cash either to or from a property sale, bank withdrawal etc. We have a bolted down discrete safe in our AS that our money and passports etc. travel in. I also do not agree to let the police search my vehicles for anything without getting a judges order stating probable cause. The police are not all the wonderful people that we hope and pray they are; MOST are, but if you are traveling with serious money you can't afford to lose, don't travel with it.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:56 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I don't believe most anecdotal stories either, but I have personal knowledge of a fellow pilot, who is a peer in that we are both FAA designated pilot examiners.
Jay (my peer in Fla) was contacted by a local pilot who needed his biennial recertification practical exam (check ride) in his employer's jet. Jay met with the pilot, checked all the credentials, preflight inspected the airplane, and explained the flight test and they began the exam. The pilot was accomplished and experienced and passed his recertification without issues.

Two weeks later Jay was enjoying a glass of iced tea on his front porch when 3 black govt motor pool cars pulled up, asked him for identification, and then arrested him. His two cars, motorcycle, household furniture, tools, and boat were all confiscated and taken to an impound yard.

Many weeks and thousands of dollars later Jay was released...without his property to await trial for " Conspiracy under RICO Act, - facilitating/enabling drug traffic". Turns out the pilot's employer had a friend who dabbled in race horses as a drug-money laundering scheme. The employer and the pilot had no idea of this other man's horsetrading or shady business dealings, but since he'd been a passenger a few times on the jet, the jet was confiscated, the employer's construction business was shut down (the heavy equipt all confiscated) and the pilot's possessions were impounded.

Jay was arrested and his property confiscated because he'd "facilitated" the recertification of the pilot.

However, in fact, neither Jay, the pilot, nor the contractor had anything to do with the illegal activities of the third man.... the only contact with that man was a legal contract to build him a large house and horse-barn by the contractor-employer.

They eventually got it all sorted out... but it cost them all dearly in defense expenses, lost time and wages, and Jay told me his cars, boat, motorcycle, and furniture were all ruined and worthless due to improper outside storage in an impound yard merely covered with rotted blue tarp.

Be careful with whom you associate.....even barely.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:09 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
I have traveled fairly extensively in the US, but mostly on Interstates and State Highways to get to a destination. It always amazes me that one of the questions upon entering the states is not how much cash you have, ( I have known about the 10K limit for nearly 40 years in business, and it is always asked), but upon learning I have only $1000 the next question is "how are you going to live on $1000 for 3 months? Never sure where the question is coming from...Credit cards is the obvious answer (and Bank of Walmart cash back). This forum is the first time I've heard about "asset forfeiture". One more reason to be active in the forum

Thanks
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:02 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
The way I have handled larger transactions is to have the buyer obtain a cashier's check and you take the title and meet at your bank first.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:58 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
Cashiers check.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Seeing "cashier's check" recommendations so late in this discussion prompts me to again mention that those are some of the MOST FRAUDULENTLY issued conveyances.

Ask your banker or simply google the subject. Here's the U.S. Treasury Dept. article on it: https://www.occ.gov/news-issuances/c...ry-2007-1.html

If, after due consideration, you choose to accept a "cashier's check"...then do the following: If you want to find out whether a check is genuine, call or visit the bank on which the check is written. That bank will be in a better position to tell you whether the check is one they issued and is genuine.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:14 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
What a sad world we live in...never thought I would see such in my lifetime.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:20 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
When we bought our Foretravel nearly four years ago (wow, has it been that long?!) the seller was in OK and we were in MO, about 300 miles away. We sent a personal check for the deposit and arranged to pick the coach up a few weeks later, bringing a bank-issued check. When we went to our bank to get the check, we asked for a "cashier's check" and were told that there is a different term used now. At any rate, the first thing the sellers did when we arrived with the bank-issued check was to take it to their bank. Their bank called our bank to verify the check. All was good and the deal went forward as planned.

When we sell the Foretravel we'll probably do something similar. We'll ask the buyers to bring a bank-issued check and to alert their bank to expect a phone call from our bank to verify the check. When we buy the Airstream we'll do the same.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:32 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Wih bank draft or what ever called, make sure it is counter signed by officer of bank if it is high amount. I did not no of this until I pur. tractor 80 miles form home, went to pick up Sat. aft. Going to Ok. and Ks Sun. sellers bank would not accept. Long story wanted wire trf. would not do, had to come back to get signed, no way banks closing, threatened to close all accounts, incl. trucking bus., farm, several personal check and savings plus cds, they relented wired money. So be careful. Banks do make errors.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:46 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
It's true. There are hundreds of cases where a person was carrying cash to buy a car, got pulled over, and the money taken. Then the victim has to go to court to get it back, while no charges are ever filed against him.

There's a move to limit civil forfeiture to be criminal forfeiture, where you'll only lose your asset if you're convicted.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:53 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
When we went to our bank to get the check, we asked for a "cashier's check" and were told that there is a different term used now. At any rate, the first thing the sellers did when we arrived with the bank-issued check was to take it to their bank. Their bank called our bank to verify the check. All was good and the deal went forward as planned.

When we sell the Foretravel we'll probably do something similar.
Be careful. It used to be that cashiers checks (or certified checks) were proof the money was there. Now a cashiers check just means the money was there at that moment. If you take a cashiers check, and before it clears, the buyer cleans the money out, the bank will simply recover their money by taking it back from you.
I think a wire transfer is the only safe method. Or do the transfer at his bank, have the money wired to your bank.
Discuss it with your bank first, ask a manager what to do.
(Not the teller)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote