Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
How long is it?

So..I look at the Airstream site and was comparing the 27, 28, and 30 ft Internationals. Can anyone tell me why the 27ft is actually 28 ft long, and the 28 ft is actually 27ft 11 in long? Same width, interior and exterior, same height. So why the weird length discrepancy? Its there more interior length in the 28? Also the 28 footer has a significantly heavier tongue weight. Any ideas why?
Did I enter the Airstream Twilight Zone?

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
In a word... "Marketing.." ALl of the Model Lengths are approximations, not exact measurements.. The 25' models are often only a few inches shorter than the 27' models, and so on... Look at floor plans and specs carefully...

>> And always tell the Ranger at Gov't parks "It's a 25..." just to be safe...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I think it's just a way to distinguish models. (Why the 1" difference, doesn't make sense)
But, like in the Classic 30 and 31'...they are exactly the same dimensionally, just a different floor plan, and they are both 31' long overall.

I suspect that the 27' and 28' are actually exactly the same, but somebody measured or wrote specs incorrectly.

I would bet the 30' international is the same dimensionally as the 30 and 31' Classic as well.

Commonization of chassis is critical for cost control. (as well as shell aluminum sheets).

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I think it's just a way to distinguish models. (Why the 1" difference, doesn't make sense)
But, like in the Classic 30 and 31'...they are exactly the same dimensionally, just a different floor plan, and they are both 31' long overall.
I suspect that the 27' and 28' are actually exactly the same, but somebody measured or wrote specs incorrectly.
I would bet the 30' international is the same dimensionally as the 30 and 31' Classic as well.
Commonization of chassis is critical for cost control. (as well as shell aluminum sheets).
I have a feeling that the bigger they "Advertise" it to be, regardless of the reality of the dimensions, the longer it is, the more it costs. eg the 28ft (which is really shorter than the 27 ft) will cost more than the 27 ft (which is actually longer than the 28 ft). whew, say that 10 times really fast...

I was just hoping someone on the forums had actually heard something from the Mothership about it. I did send a note to them. We will see if they know why they do it.

WBCCI 3805
Old 02-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
So..I look at the Airstream site and was comparing the 27, 28, and 30 ft Internationals. Can anyone tell me why the 27ft is actually 28 ft long, and the 28 ft is actually 27ft 11 in long? Same width, interior and exterior, same height. So why the weird length discrepancy? Its there more interior length in the 28? Also the 28 footer has a significantly heavier tongue weight. Any ideas why?
Did I enter the Airstream Twilight Zone?
Airstream Twilight Zone. I like that one. I think thats part of the problem. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
So..I look at the Airstream site and was comparing the 27, 28, and 30 ft Internationals. Did I enter the Airstream Twilight Zone?
Did I miss something here? Most Airstream folks I know usually start with a newer model, realize their folly & trade for vintage. Are you going against the tide? What's up?
Old 02-18-2012, 04:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Darn Things are addicting

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsend View Post
Did I miss something here? Most Airstream folks I know usually start with a newer model, realize their folly & trade for vintage. Are you going against the tide? What's up?
Perhaps a little, But I continue to spend money for upgrades on the "barely vintage" 1984. (last investment was new 16inch tires and wheels and centramatics to go with them all). We have no desire to get rid of the ol boy Jim. I just seem to be drawn to those new internationals. Signature and Serenity models. But alas, once again, I did not win the lottery so...(guess my odds would increase if I bought tickets). But I gotta tell you, if a 28 footer popped up in the right price range for us, we just might have two trailers in our yard....
I suppose if you have to have an addiction to something, aluminum would be my drug of choice..

WBCCI 3805
Old 02-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Interesting

Below is the answer I got from Airstream. Not much to tell me why the 27 ft is longer than the 28 ft other than it was an engineering decision.
The lengths listed are indeed correct. It was an engineering sales design
situation at the time the models were coming together in R & D. I'm sorry
for the confusion and you are not the first to show confusion and concern.
The engineer that designed these models is where I rec'd this information.
Printed lengths are correct. Thank you for your interest.

Dawn Chudyk

Airstream, Inc,

419 West Pike St.

Jackson Center, OH 45334
So...if you are paying more for that 28footer it is good to know that it is 1" shorter than the 27footer. So what is 1 inch of aluminum worth?

WBCCI 3805