Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2022, 07:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
How does an Airstream Dealer become 5 Stars?

How does an Airstream dealer become a 5 Star Dealer? I assumed that Airstream corporate solicited evaluations and comments from new purchasers after the sale and based the rating on written feedback. We purchased a new Airstream trailer in August and have not heard a peep from Airstream.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
I don’t know how they get to 5 Star. However, August wasn’t that long ago. Wait times are well over 6 months right now. We orders in March and are getting it this coming weekend.
Old 11-28-2022, 01:36 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I believe it comes when the Franchise Fee is paid.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-28-2022, 01:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
How does an Airstream dealer become a 5 Star Dealer? I assumed that Airstream corporate solicited evaluations and comments from new purchasers after the sale and based the rating on written feedback. We purchased a new Airstream trailer in August and have not heard a peep from Airstream.

The honor is "5 Rivet" and it is detailed here: https://www.airstream.com/dealers/ai...t-dealerships/
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 02:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
How does an Airstream dealer become a 5 Star Dealer?
If it's like auto dealerships, they buy it.
Yes, sad but true.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:42 PM   #6
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Following because I'm curious.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 05:51 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Northern , California
The Airstream CEO was talking about it on a recent video cast with some industry folks. He seems like a nice guy, soft spoken - happened to come across an old Jay Leno’s garage where he showed Jay through an Airstream. Anyhow on the industry video he talked about the things they were working on - one was getting more stock on dealer lots after the pandemic panic buying, and how that was increasing. Second was the five rivet program and how he was proud/happy about how that was progressing, and how he wanted to get most dealers on board.

I’ve worked for many CEO’s and I think have a decent feel for them, he seems like a good guy and is honest in his dealings, and he’s been in that job for a long time which says something. Looking at the link below it looks like a normal initiative like this, basically it means a consistent customer experience from website to service. I can tell you basically if AS ever lost it’s reputation for being a upscale brand they’re sunk, so yeah it’s a priority to ensure that customers are having an good experience. Companies take this stuff seriously.

So yeah I personally would question going to a dealer that didn’t have the branding, FWIW.
DrivingDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Things may be changing for the better… Justin Humphreys gave the keynote presentation at the Fryeburg International Rally and said they had a dealer meeting in Colorado and introduced plans for higher standards.

He explained they’re going to require more service bays based on sales volume to decrease wait time to get service and improve customer satisfaction. There are other things Airstream is doing to get dealers up to speed - training in Jackson Center and via Zoom. I give them credit for attempting to make things better. Time will tell if it’s successful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2B9BBF70-D136-4C9E-A551-9B259295AFDB.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	425815  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Things may be changing for the better… Justin Humphreys gave the keynote presentation at the Fryeburg International Rally and said they had a dealer meeting in Colorado and introduced plans for higher standards.

He explained they’re going to require more service bays based on sales volume to decrease wait time to get service and improve customer satisfaction. There are other things Airstream is doing to get dealers up to speed - training in Jackson Center and via Zoom. I give them credit for attempting to make things better. Time will tell if it’s successful.
We purchased our first Airstream in 2004 and have bought four new trailers since. We've had only one dealer experience that I would classify as honorable, however their service facility wasn't yet up and running.The way you are treated post- purchase is critical to your satisfaction. Most dealers apparently don't care much about customer retention, and I'm not to sure how truly interested Airstream is in keeping its customers happy.

Justin Humphries and Airstream need to make it attractive for dealers to treat customers well. They need to throw a lot of money via a fully paid, free to dealers multi-week technician training academy and follow up with new products and development refreshers. Airstream need to man up and stop referring warranty repairs to their vendors ie Suburban etc.

If the 5-Rivet designation is based on customer satisfaction via written feedback I'm wondering why I've not heard from Airstream asking our opinion about our buying and service experience for our August 2022 purchase.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 10:29 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post

Ahhh....Memories of the "Town Hall" thread here on the forums. When was that?

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-29-2022, 11:09 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Being in and around sales and service related industries during my corporate “seagull” life, I can safely say any 5 Rivet, Star, Check, Diamond, etc, designation bestowed on a dealership of any kind is meant to do two things only:

1) tie the dealership closer to the manufacturer in order to comply and participate in sales volume quotas and attainments, promotion participations, advertising compliance, trendy customer promotions, and general subservience to corporate/manufacturer demands, and

2) use as a powerful marketing tool to draw customers. It has no basis in determination of good work or happy customers.

My only dilemma with the “Five” anything system is whether to brand it gaslighting or catfishing…

It’s funny how views change. Years back, I was given hearty and meaty corporate pats on the back for being able to participate in awarding “Five” designations to meh dealerships across the country.

Oh well… Life of a corporate “seagull”….
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
-Be Curious, Not Judgemental…Walt Whitman-
Genebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 12:59 PM   #12
Futurist

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
If it's like auto dealerships, they buy it.
Yes, sad but true.
No. Our dealer lost their Five-Rivet status last year, despite (or maybe indirectly because of) high sales volume.

Also, each time we've taken our trailer in for service at the dealership, we've been contacted by Airstream for a follow-up survey about our experience.

For those who have bought a new trailer in recent years but have not been contacted by Airstream after service, I would suggest checking with Airstream corporate to make sure they have the correct contact information for you.
ealmasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 01:54 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24GT
Franklin , New York
Quote:
'm wondering why I've not heard from Airstream asking our opinion about our buying and service experience for our August 2022 purchase.
Another summer ‘22 purchase here. Just got a call from my dealer asking for a good review. (Did she earn it? That’s another issue). I never got the Airstream questionnaire either.
khocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 01:27 PM   #14
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb831 View Post
The honor is "5 Rivet" and it is detailed here: https://www.airstream.com/dealers/ai...t-dealerships/
Thanks for the link... They can also earn 5 rivets by posting more than 500 times at AIRforums.com

We've had the rivet rating system here since the boards inception in 2003

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:45 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2023 28' Pottery Barn
2019 23' International
Tomball , Texas
I've never received a survey after any RV

I've bought. That includes my current Airstream that I got from a 5 rivet dealer.
That being said, I never go back to the dealer for service. I just fix it myself or pay someone to do it. Dealers will keep your RV for a few months and mess up the job. I don't have time to mess with that.
B17drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 01:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
We purchased our first Airstream in 2004 and have bought four new trailers since. We've had only one dealer experience that I would classify as honorable, however their service facility wasn't yet up and running.The way you are treated post- purchase is critical to your satisfaction. Most dealers apparently don't care much about customer retention, and I'm not to sure how truly interested Airstream is in keeping its customers happy.

Justin Humphries and Airstream need to make it attractive for dealers to treat customers well. They need to throw a lot of money via a fully paid, free to dealers multi-week technician training academy and follow up with new products and development refreshers. Airstream need to man up and stop referring warranty repairs to their vendors ie Suburban etc.

If the 5-Rivet designation is based on customer satisfaction via written feedback I'm wondering why I've not heard from Airstream asking our opinion about our buying and service experience for our August 2022 purchase.
Guess the question I would have is "what" is the issue with your AS? If your Basecamp is working and your happy, likely no reason to be upset with Airstream, right? If it isn't working, your likely already talking with the dealership, I would hope. I have owned 4 AS's and found the dealerships across the US I have delt with to be all over the map on service and sales follow up. Lots of data on line if you take the time to look. If you have an issue or compliment, why not just send them a letter?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:22 PM   #17
Sam and her wheelman Zeke

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
Quote:
Do you have a dart and dart board?

Maybe it's where I lived that everyone was in your pocket just to get by but having said that . . .
I was within 1.5 hours drive from two different dealers.
Their mothers would be ashamed of them.
When it comes to service, if possible, I wait until I am at a campground for a week or two and use mobile service. And I haven't regretted it yet.
I'm not going to say any more.

2018 RAM Limited 2500 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab and RAM boxes
upnorththree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:02 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Carlisle , Arizona
Five Stars is part of the “quality” myth we bought into.

[QUOTE=ROBERT CROSS;2646924]I believe it comes when the Franchise Fee is paid.

Bob
🇺🇸[/QUOT

Absolutely correct, comes with the signs. Five Stars is part of the “quality” myth we all bought into!
mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:35 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Watsontown , Pennsylvania
We picked up our 2022 Airstream and got the survey from Airstream corporate on 8-17-22. (from customerfeedback@airstream.com) (Airstream Insights Group)

We also got another survey on 11-16-22 from same email address (the corporate email service provider (ESP) but with the header "Airstream Customer Research".

Significant numbers of questions were about the dealer experience.

We purchased 3 Airstreams from Colonial Airstream in New Jersey. They are 5 Rivets. I would bet money that they earn this through a variety of criteria. (Airstream's main site has a blog - just google Airstream 5 Rivet Dealers).

The only way we got the surveys was via email. It could easily be blocked before it gets to you at all or goes in SPAM. But some email never even makes it to get marked as SPAM.

Email them directly at customerfeedback@airstream.com - it is a working email address.

Colonial Airstream recently upgraded its entire experience. We picked our latest one up in an air-conditioned bay and get treated really well from start to finish.

And Colonial's people respond super fast via email to questions we have. It has been this way since we got our first Airstream from them.

I can see why they are a 5 Rivet (best) dealer. The other dealer we went to once to see a 23CB they had in stock was Mark Walberg in Columbus, Ohio. They had lots of stock, the place was nice, clean, friendly, but I see they are not 5 Rivet.
ricjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 07:25 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
[QUOTE=mike2;2647980]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I believe it comes when the Franchise Fee is paid.

Bob
🇺🇸[/QUOT

Absolutely correct, comes with the signs. Five Stars is part of the “quality” myth we all bought into!
---------
Agree!
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote