Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
How do you handle this situation

We purchased our 2006 Airstream 5/27/06. The dealer we purchased from said that it came with Satellite pre-wire and our Owner's Manual says it comes with Satellite pre-wire. I couldn't find the satellite jumper cable described in the manual and referenced by others on the forum. I had to take my Airstream in for warranty repairs. Our selling dealer is over 250 miles away. The warranty item is with the A/C unit and could be taken to any Dometic dealer, but Airstream in JC recommended taking it to an Airstream dealer. When I voiced my being uncomfortable with the local Airstream dealer's service department, the Customer Service Rep at JC said that was the closest dealer and I should have no problems.

I dropped the Airstream off on Saturday morning and was told that I would have to leave it so they could get approval from JC for the A/C repair and to replace three latches that malfunctioned. On my way home from dropping the trailer off, the service manager called me on my cell phone and asked when I bought my trailer and I told him. He said the items would be customer pay since Airstreams only had a one year warranty. I told him I had been told at purchase it was a two year warranty. He said he was sure it was one year. I told him he needed to confirm that. After hanging up I called my wife and she said she remembered two years, too. Well, I had other errands to run and couldn't go back and get the trailer right then so I continued on my way expecting the service dept to call JC on Monday and confirm the two year warranty.

I had got a call while talking to my wife so I returned it and it was the AS dealer. I asked for the service manager and he told me he had checked with the sales department and confirmed that it was only a one year warranty on the trailer. I told him the A/C came with a two year warranty I knew for sure and it had to be fixed one way or the other and that the cable should be fixed as a warranty item since it wasn't installed properly at the factory. He said he would call JC and see if they would pay for it.

When my wife got home today (Wednesday) she said there was a message on the answering machine from the service manager saying that the service techs had "taken the trailer apart and the trailer was never pre-wired for satellite" and we would have to pay for it and it would be under $300. As soon as I got off the phone I called AS in JC and got their answering machine saying their hours are 8-5, blah, blah, blah, and press 4 to leave a message for customer service. It was 5:20 eastern time and 4:20 Central (JC time) so I left a message with the time and that I needed to speak to someone ASAP.

When I got home Saturday evening, the dealer had closed. I checked my owner's manual and the first paragraph in the 2006 Owner's Manual states that Airstream warrants new trailers for two (2) years from date of purchase for everything except tires and batteries! I thought surely when the service department called JC about the cable they would be told this and there would be no question. I had an uneasy feeling about the second phone call Saturday "confirming" the one year warranty, but now I really have questions. The dealer's sales department clearly doesn't know their product or the service manager didn't ask the sales department about the warranty period. But I would have thought JC would have told him the length of the warranty period IF he actually called and asked. Today is Wednesday so there has been plenty of time for him to call and find out.

The dealer's service department had already closed when my wife got the massage and by the time I can call Airstream in the morning, the dealer's service department may have already started work on the cable. I don't see how they can run the cable from the mid-ship to the rear of the trailer without removing the interior skins, dinette, kitchen, and bathroom for "under $300!" I don't want them to drop the cable down between the skins and drape it through the belly-pan to reach the rear of the trailer where the exterior cable hook-up is. I am just not comfortable with this situation.

Sorry this got sooooo long.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:16 PM   #2
_

. , .
warranty

currently the warrant IS 2 years from date of original purchase.

the company DID consider reducing this to 1 year this year, but wisely made no changes...

yet.

my manual makes mention of the co-axial wiring for cable tv and the "ease" at which a satellite dish can be installed...

with a simple connector and a disconnect of the batwing

but doesn't specifically say 'prewired' for satellite...

basically the same coaxial wiring used for cable hook up is used for a dish...

and keep in mind almost all owners manuals include the comment 'specificiation subject to change/modification' yadda, yadda...

so call j/c tomorrow and clear up

1. the warranty issue it IS 2 years. have them call the clueless dealer, who doesn't want to deal with the paperwork.

j/c authorizes them for a specific time range/dollar amount for service issues.

IF they took longer they may not get paid all they think is due, without more documentation.

2. did a/s do the typical install of the outside coax sat/cable port and where inside is the little U connector...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Tom...

Something seems messed up. It's my understanding that there is a 2 year warranty as well, so the AC should be covered in my head. And if the purchase details of your unit included pre-wiring for satellite, that should be handled & covered as well...and I'm with you...I wouldn't want a make-shift solution to that...if htey can replacse skins, they can sire for satellite properly... We have had somethings fixed on our unit under warranty and there was never a question asked...is this this dealer you bought it from? I'd talk to JC and the dealier you bought the unit from (if it's not the dealer you're dealing with).

TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
First, take the owner's manual, and show the service manager where it states a 2 year warranty. Make sure your in-service date is less than two years ago from now.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Warrenty

Good luck. I have been fighting this for 1 1/2 years and now I don't even ask Airstream dealers too honor the warrenty. Jackson Center is no help unless you go there for the service.
The only warrenty service that has been done on my trailer has been the dealer were I bought it. I will be heading there on 1 Oct for warrenty work.
Search for "And the fun never stops".

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:06 AM   #6
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Thanks guys for the support and for the info. My owner's manual does say 2 year warranty. It also not only references the cable/satellite pre-wire, it shows the wiring diagram for it. Fortunately, I had taken the owners' manual out of the Airstream to look it up and find the location before I had taken it to this dealer and not replaced it in the AS before taking it in.

This is not the dealer I purchased from. This dealer is about 45 miles from my home. My selling dealer is about 250 miles from my home. I expressed concern to JC about this dealer when I called them about the A/C unit because I had read on this forum once that this dealer wouldn't service Airstreams they didn't sell. JC told me that they had not heard this and if I had any problems to call them. Which is what I plan to do now that it is 8:00 am Central.

I know my gut feeling was to not deal with this dealer, but I thought these three issues, three defective latches, the satellite pre-wire, and the A/C unit were items they could handle. The message indicated that the labor to run the wiring was for 2 hours. That seems pretty steep to be nearly $150/hour...I wish I made that much. Anyway, I'll be calling JC, my selling dealer and this dealer ASAP to get to the bottom of all of this.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-13-2007, 07:20 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
Minnie,

I have called Donna at Sagon and informed her that there is indeed a 2 year warranty on our Airstream trailers. I asked her to call you and clarify this up with you. Sorry for the inconvience.

2 year on Airstream trailers
1 year on Basecamps
3 years on Interstates/Parkways.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAIRSTREAM
Minnie,

I have called Donna at Sagon and informed her that there is indeed a 2 year warranty on our Airstream trailers. I asked her to call you and clarify this up with you. Sorry for the inconvience.

1 year on Basecamps
They should make you President of Thor.

So, why is it that so many Airstream dealers don't handle service and warranty issues properly?

Someone at the company should address the underlying cause(s).
Old 09-13-2007, 08:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Tom,

The AC on my 2007 is warranteed by Dometic for three years. I received good service from my local RV dealer (not an Airstream dealer) who was a factory authorized Dometic Service Center. BTW: Their posted labor rates as I recall were in the neighborhood of $150 per hour.

Thanks JP, for getting involved. It's good to know Airstream employees are reading these threads.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:08 AM   #10
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Unfortunately you are not alone. So many dealers do not know thier product.
The Sattelite/cable should be pre wired. Forgetting that would be major.
I suspect they want to cut a hole in the side of your trailer and install a box on the outside that has a connector on the inside. In the classic the Cable/Sat is in the left rear "cubby". the jumper is under the dinette.
Since I wanted two Satellite feeds I ran two cables through the Refrigerator campartment underthe dinette seat and out at the floor right next to the factory single cable outlet.
I would not let the dealer install the cable run. they have already demostrated they do not know the product.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:05 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I don't want them to drop the cable down between the skins and drape it through the belly-pan to reach the rear of the trailer where the exterior cable hook-up is. I am just not comfortable with this situation.
What an awful story. Sorry to hear about that.

I was curious about why you care where they run the cable. I would think the situation is the same regardless of whether they run the cable thru the ceiling, the walls or the floor.

I personally would not be comfortable if all my cabinets and walls had to be removed to add the cabling into the walls!
rebfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
The dealer's service department had already closed when my wife got the massage.
Great idea. She certainly deserved one after all that aggravation!

Nick.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAIRSTREAM
Minnie,

1 year on Basecamps
WOW Tom,

A post from JP himself...it is a 2 year warranty as Jim said...

I told you guys the Mothership is watching us!!!

Good reply JP!!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
They should make you President of Thor.

So, why is it that so many Airstream dealers don't handle service and warranty issues properly?

Someone at the company should address the underlying cause(s).
AMEN...

There are dealers out there that won't work on a unit if they did not sell it...that is just wrong...

We will work on anyone's unit no matter where you bought it...that is just good business to us and to the "Mothership"

G

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 09-13-2007, 12:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
It's just too bad that everyone didn't buy their airstream from the "hat" in Arkansas!
Thanks for the input "g".

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Thanks Scott but it is not just us...there are several dealers that will work on other units...but the ones that don't just really stick out and sometimes give all dealers a bad rap.

There are several out there that really do LOVE the product they sell and try to stand behind it with good service and parts department.

G

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

AIR #8844
Old 09-13-2007, 01:08 PM   #17
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog1
Thanks Scott but it is not just us...there are several dealers that will work on other units...but the ones that don't just really stick out and sometimes give all dealers a bad rap.

There are several out there that really do LOVE the product they sell and try to stand behind it with good service and parts department.

G
I've been tied up in meetings all morning since I called JC. As you all have found out, JC does have an eye on the forums and they do look out for their Airstream owners. I haven't heard from Donna or anyone else from the dealership I took my trailer to. They may have left a message on my home number despite having my cell number and me giving instructions that that was the best way to get in touch with me. Anyway, I feel much better after talking to JC and feel that the situation should get resolved. Thanks JP.

My guess is that the wrong cover plate was installed at the factory and the one with the jumper connections needs to be installed with the appropriate junctions behind it. The customer service rep I spoke to at JC told me the whole process should take about 15 minutes. I'm sure that is an estimate, but that sounds a lot less invasive than rewiring the trailer from stem to stern.

You are right Airhog1 I think there are dealers that just sell Airstreams as another product line on their lots and I think there are dealers that really stand behind "the Cadillac of camping trailers". I truly believe the dealer I bought my Airstream from was one of the latter and was worth the 250+ mile trip to buy from and I have recommended him to others. I hope dealers like you and he are around for a long time so that other future Airstreamers can get the quality service with the quality product that we all love.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The new Airstream website is up!

I just toddled over to the website for Airstream, and it now has the new stuff, completely redone.
I'll post this over on the website thread, too, if it hasn't been already.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Murphy's Law Collorary: Minimum Hassle Factor

Generally speaking, in dealing with any service business (and Airstream Dealers and RV repair are no exception) I expect what I am told will be done and when it will be done has little relationship to the final outcome.

My pet peev of the moment:
Not to name names but after I took 15 minutes to explain my problem to the only Albuquerque Airstream dealer, I believe the only New Mexico Airstream Dealer, and making a service appointment I was politely but curtly told "I'm sorry sir but we don't work on any unit more than 15 years old.

Tangetially, Garden of the Gods RV Park in Colorado Springs will not let a Airstream more than 15 years old in their park. No matter how shiney.

I think there is a policy once they have your coach and/or your $ if they hassle you enough you will just go away! I have found persistant whining is about the only workable solution.

Is this vintage aluminum discrimation or what Don't mess with me I'm a cowboy from the Bronx!
Old 09-13-2007, 06:09 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Owings Mills , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
Tangetially, Garden of the Gods RV Park in Colorado Springs will not let a Airstream more than 15 years old in their park. No matter how shiney.
Hmmmmm. The only time I stayed there it was for a Rocky Mountain VAC Rally. Around 70 Airstreams older than 15 years. I see the prohibition on their "rates" page. I wonder if they have changed or made an exception for the rally?