Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
killeen , Texas
Headroom issues and slideouts

My wife and I are looking at purchasing our 1st TT. We love the Airstream and have all but decided the cost difference would be worth the quality. The question I have is for anyone over 6ft, Im 6ft3in and just concerned about the headroom. It seems only a few inches less than other manufactures and wondering if this is an issue.

What about slideouts? Has anyone gone from other manufacutres with more room to an Airstream and what did you find as the major benefit or compromise?

Thanks,
Chris
cdlusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:54 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Chris,
Good question on the height issue. I am 6'3" also.
The height of ours is 78 1/2 inches at the center and of course, that decreases with the roundness of the outer shell. I have no problem navigating around but have to pay attention to the light fixtures and door openings (the two interior doors have a header height of exactly 6 feet). You just learn to dodge and duck.

I have always said it is a 5-10 world--everything is made for average sized people and us folks with a few more inches in height just have to work around those standards.

The Airstream has a different feel inside--like an airplane fuselage or a boat cabin--the feeling is not like a square box, for sure. I like that feeling, though. I also like the relatively smooth aerodynamics of the trailer and the great towability, which greatly offset the small compromise of interior headroom.

For me, the place for greatest potential for forehead contact is the entry/exit door. I have popped my noggin a few good times going out. You just have to pay attention.

Please let us know how you decide.