Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Beavercreek , Ohio
flying cloud vs. serenity

Do you see any practical considerations between these two models- aside from cost? I'm wondering if the serenity might be more durable- ie, laminate materials and sliding overheads vs. hinges. And I'm wondering about future resale- will the serenity look dated in 5-7 years? Is the flying cloud a more classic and timeless look?
pilgrimjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
We just ordered the 2014 30ft Flying Cloud for the reasons you mentioned, besides it as is 46% of AS sales and we liked the clean lines.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I'd say it was a matter of personal choice only. We chose the Serenity because it was different to the usual wood-featured travel trailer, of all makes, but the Flying Cloud is pretty sharp, too. It just depends on your own style preferences.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
The Serenity décor was much more appealing to my wife, which is, of course, the determining factor in camping in a TT. Knowing her tastes, that would have been true 30 years ago and it will be true in the future. I am certain there will always be spouses who feel the way mine does.
It would not have been worth the price difference new, to satisfy her style needs. But it was a perfect fit for our lightly used Serenity. I cannot see anything in the construction that would make a bit of difference.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
We have owned two Flying Clouds.

Before retirement I owned an Ad Agency and design was a big consideration of what we delivered to our clients; some of them wanted to make a bold statement, but most wanted to appeal to the mainstream of the audience they wanted to sell.

The International Series is striking, to say the least (matter of fact, we considered the International when we bought our 23). It was definitely different, but when we came to the "resale" argument, the FC trumped the Int., big time.

Any true designer will admit design goes through stages (exactly like fashion), while classical/traditional design isn't as striking, it has a much longer shelf life.

I think, if you go to Colonial's web site, you'll find the trendy International, with the purple accents in the interior, to be a prime example of what I'm saying.

They've discounted it, big time.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The incremental price difference between the Flying Cloud and International Serenity models of the same floor plan could be made up of the costs associated with a higher grade formica for both the horizontal and vertical cabinet faces, improved drawer construction and slides, upgraded lighting, different cabinet hinges and hardware, corian kitchen counter top, upgraded aluminum wheels, and upgraded aluminum skin interior.

And the price increase makes the Serenity a more upscale price within the International series between the Flying Cloud and the Classic trim lines.

Ideas for discussion.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote