Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Congrats! Looking forward to pictures and hearing tales from the road. I'm guessing the added width didn't really make much of a difference towing-wise.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Tom, based on towing these two trailers 170 miles each on the same day, and fairly level terrain, I could not tell the difference towing. Put the 4.7 Tundra out of overdrive, and just motored smoothly down the road, steady as a rock. The tandem axle a little more stable. Strongly believe towing resistance is mostly pushing the air, the extra 1300 lbs and minor width difference not noticeable. Of course climbing grades will be different.

Airstreams are great trailers to tow.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I am a bit late to this thread, but we are considering FB vs RB 25' also, twin model. We had an 06’, 25' Safari with 48" wide rear bed and small bathroom for 2 years and it was a very nice layout with L couch and separate dinette, microwave and gas oven. What we learned was bed was too small (width), too cramped for 2 and hard to make up, toilet area too cramped, microwave took up too much room in cabinet next to sink, and rarely used oven. We have seen both new models of 25’; now we’re arguing about front or rear twin beds/ dinette/lounge; Seems we usually back in to nice spots, so sitting in the rear with coffee seems the way to go. The window in bathroom is nice on new B rear bed model, but you lose a window and 14” of lounge, it seems. (not obvious when we toured—thanks for pointing out!) Now, how to justify a new one cause there aren’t many newer used twins…LOL For pulling, my 2 cents: I bought a new 2wd Tahoe in 08’ to pull the 06’, 25’ Safari; level ground was fine, but up hills no way. This summer we bought a new 11’ 4x4 Tahoe Z71 with 30 more HP and 6 speed transmission. We were pulling only a 3300 lb 17’ Casita. Our friend has same Casita, but is pulling it with the new F150 EchoBoost twin turbo V6, rated at around 12000 lbs pulling capacity; we went on 2 week long trips together in the Rockies of Montana and Canada. On a 7 pct. and 8 pct. Grade mountains, I had the gas pedal floored with the Tahoe at 62mph max…he had his Ford only ¼ way down and easily overtook us. We both got same mileage, around 13 MPG pulling, and without trailers, got around 20-21 MPG at 65-70 MPH. Bottom line; I will be getting an EchoBoost for this new Airstream for sure. You should look up the reviews of this one vs Chevy and the Tundra…I love my Chevy ride, but this engine with Ford is pretty impressive. Check out the Youtube series on these pickups, where they compare all three. (of course, Diesel would also do, but dealers I talked with say that is overkill for anything under 8000lbs…plus the cost of diesel is more than gas.) What we REALLY want is seperate dinning, couch, and twins in a 25! Love the 28' cause it has it all, but 25' is a bit more accessable in some of the places we have been camping. Hope this helps also...
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have now spent about a month in our new FC 25 B rear bed, towed sweetly behind the 2006 Tundra 4.7. Nice combination.

Airstream quality seems to be up from our 2007 Safari. Found slight leak at one of the PEX fittings under the sink. Crimp gauge indicated an incomplete crimp, so bought a small pocket crimper and finished the crimp, no leak. Otherwise a beautifully assembled trailer with no apparent problems.

Have found the optional solar, awning, and ultra leather packages to be worth every penny. Nicely installed at the factory, wouldn't be without them. Great freedom in never worrying about battery condition (set the battery switch to store when on shore power to remove them from the converter). The awnings have great shade benefits and the Airstream is simply striking in appearance when deployed.

The benefit of this model to the FB is the larger bath (same as in the FC 30) with window in exchange for a shorter bench seat, and both microwave and gas ovens. There must be a degree of stronger structural assembly in the rear cantilever section with the door opening moved to the front, and less window openings at the rear, but it is probably insignificant in normal use.

Gypsydad, reconsider giving up the Tahoe for an Ecoboost to go faster uphill. These Airstreams tow like a dream, and some diesel will just pass you both anyway, and some bigger diesel will pass him. If life is a race, let them finish first.

doug k
Old 11-16-2011, 07:43 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
There is definitely some space and layout advantages to the RB but I gotta say that my favorite part of my FB is the view out of my rear windows. I love leaving the blinds open at night and waking up to a great view.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Doug,

I am getting back a little late with this. If I had to choose between the 25FB and the 25B I think I would go with the FB and not just because I own one. It comes down to where you put that extra 14 inches. I would rather have it in the "living" area with the extra window. We are small(ish) people and don't really need the extra space in the bathroom.

It is nice to have the option though and I suppose that is what the folks at Airstream know already. Do you have the new trailer yet? You are going to like the 25.

Dick
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Dick, yes we have been traveling in the new trailer for about a month. It is a jewel and we love it. I owe the group a picture and will have to figure that out again.

These 25' trailers are especially appealing, in all of their configurations, to those of us snowbirds looking for great comfort on extended trips, as well as small families doing weekends and vacations. Quite a universal size.

It is good to have the new 2012 choice of front or rear bed in similar layouts. Some prefer the view to the back, but in our Minnesota region camping this is usually trees and brush. The shorter bench seat/larger bath of the 25A/B does not impact the spaciousness of the living/dining/kitchen area at all as the components are completely rearranged. It is quite an improvement if you do not need the longer bench seat.

So they have given us a choice in the new 25's without a price difference. Difficult indeed but hard to go wrong here as they are excellent designs in either front or rear bed configurations.

My initial impression is Airstream quality is trending upward, compared to our new 2007. Small things that add up. Extra seals here, nicer finishing there, improved systems type of stuff. Airstream CEO Bob Wheeler came on this forum a couple years ago and got an earful from unhappy new owners. Hats off to him if he has taken it to heart and is giving us a better product, and I think he is.

doug k
Old 12-17-2014, 10:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It's been three years since we bought our new Airstream, traveled to all corners of the country and much in-between, and have spent the winters in the Southwest. Accumulated about 24 months total away from home in it, so far.

So thought an update may be useful for others with this 25 Rear Bed model or those considering it.

As a traveler and long-term camper for two it works very well. Easy to tow with 1/2 ton truck, which doubles as a nice daily driver. There is plenty of storage for necessities, large storage tanks, and compact in size but no uncomfortable areas or furnishings.

The quality of the unit is remarkable. We use a quarterly inspection and maintenance plan to probe for moisture in the subfloor from shell leaks, treat the shell and underbody with corrosion preventive products, check systems, and fix anything needed. It is completely corrosion free and looks as good as new inside and out with a few nicks in the shell touched up as needed. The interior shows no wear or damage, the FC cabinets and partitions are very good. No original equipment has failed, optional factory solar and awnings included.

We've made some changes for reliability and comfort. Michelin 16" LTX tires on Sendel wheels, ProPride hitch, Airstream bike rack, Maxxim vent covers, recliner conversion to same as front of 30' Airstream with table and console, reversed opening of bath door, added larger mirror and water pressure accumulator under the bath sink. A few thousand bucks worth but each a great improvement.

The Airstream and improvements are working very well for us, the way we use it. It remains beautiful inside and out to us, we never tire of it. The interior spaces are very pleasant and comfortable. We look forward to more travels with our Airstream.

Here's a couple of photo's of things we have done to the Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5721.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	228821   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2521.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	228822  

Name:	IMG_2528.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	228823   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9478_2.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	228824  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 12-18-2014, 06:17 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
dko0ttum, like what you've done. I am going to go out today and change the bath door around like you've done. Never thought of it, but really like the idea. THANKS>
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:46 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
Did you lose the entire outside storage compartment on the roadside? Also, where did you put the inverter+?

I have the 2013 version.
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The outside storage hatch is now behind the folding table, about a three inch deep space, enough for a few hitching/unhitching tools, lube cans. Quite convenient. Airstream Service Center built a storage cabinet over the existing charger/converter and inverter, also convenient. So the usable storage is improved and the wasted end of the former lounge is put to good use as new storage.

The trailer has no hat rack, so we put the newly-gained space behind the recliners to use by adding 10 Ikea hangers alongside and around behind the two recliners.

Here's the new storage compartment over the charger/converter, and the new hat hooks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2531.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	228840   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2533.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	228841  

Old 12-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
Doug, thanks for the reply...not sure what you mean about not having "hat racks". We have two overhead cabinets with lights but no hat rack.

One additional question. When you reversed the bathroom door, did you flip the door upside down and move the hinge and hardware or did you start fresh and get a new door?

John
Old 12-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
John, I just flipped the door upside down, the latch is nearly centered. Removed the screws frame door and left the hinge on the door. Propped it up on the other side, marked and predrilled the top and bottom hinge screws, fastened it and checked alignment again, it should open 180 degrees flat to the small wall section there.

If alignment okay predrill the remaining screw holes using the in-place hinge as a guide and fasten down. The catch goes to the opposite side, and it's former position is covered by the hinge. Fill the old screws holes with matching wood putty and smooth, touch up with clear polyurethane if you like.

By no hat rack, I mean no place by the door to hang my hat, so I added ten of these hooks around the recliners for hats or whatever. The space was there.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
Thanks again, great idea on the door.