Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2018, 12:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Beaufort , South Carolina
Figuring Value of Used Airstream

I'm looking at an Ad for a 1999 Airstream Safari 27'. I haven't gone to look at it yet, I probably would locate a person that does inspections to go over it with me. It is located about 4 hours from my home. But what I'm wondering now is, how do you figure the price you want to pay. In pictures it looks to be in good condition, interior fabrics would need updating in my opinion. Structurally, I don't know, and I've asked if the appliances work, and are the axles original. I haven't received answers yet. They are asking $23,000. How do I know if that is a fair price. I would offer less anyway, but how much less, I don't know. Can anyone offer a suggestion as to how to figure that out? Thank you.
SIWELC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The value is going to be HEAVILY dependent upon the trailer's condition, and what repairs are needed. Be sure you know what you are looking for, or have someone with you who does. Many shell-offs started off with an inexperienced buyer who took for granted that the trailer was really in as good of shape as the seller said it was.

In order to find that "baseline" starting price, I would suggest looking on Ebay, specifically at completed auctions. This may help you to see what people are actually paying for trailers similar to the one you are looking at. Next thing would be to look on sites like Craigslist, Airforums Classifieds. or RV trader and see what other people are asking. You will get a scatter of prices from which you might come up with a range that is dependent upon condition.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
The best way is to peruse the Classifieds on here, RV Trader, e-Bay, and other sales sites to see what asking prices are. e-Bay will show you actual sale prices as well. That will give you a starting point. I paid right at 20,000 for a 2001 Safari in 2014, but it was in excellent condition. It had a new, nice quality vinyl woodgrain floor, had been modified for recliners, and had been stored inside when not in use for 12 of its 13 years. People thought it was new when they looked at it. It did need new tires. I upgraded to 16" Michelin LT tires and Sendel wheels like those put on at the factory as an option and used it for two years before trading it. $23K sounds a little high, but asking prices usually are.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
We would be in the same boat as you. Without knowing what it's current condition is it's very hard to come up with a value.

A 99 has not "likely" had new axel's yet as it's just not that common to change them out unless they're older.

You will need to do some work and see what the value of a trailer is in that size, trim line and year. Colonial RV is a great website to look around as they have lots of stock and prices.

Then you obviously know what your budget is and where your comfort level is.

The seller also needs to be clearly communicating with you on the merits of the trailer. If they don't know what works then they should be able to let you know why. Maybe they inherited from somebody or it's a quick resale.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
We paid $21,000 for our Excella 28'. We bought is over 5 years ago. The oven did not work but was an easy fix. The canopies were splitting at the seams but usable but now replaced. The black tank had sat too long not being emptied so valve replacement. The PO did store it for us for about 4 months no charge til we were ready for it and had us practicing pulling it.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:12 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Figuring Value of Used Airstream

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions, they are, as usual, very helpful.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:44 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Buy a moisture meeter Sonin is the one I have some Safari's had OSB sub floors if it gets wet and stays wet it rots fast .Check around the perimeter of the coach and under the couch next to the inner skin .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:41 AM   #8
"Silver Shrek"

2000 27' Safari
Crestwood , Kentucky
two years ago I paid a 12700 for a Safari 27 that had been cared for very well except for three dented sections that didn't leak. I had them all replaced and remodeled the interior, as I don't like the vinyl skins in the '99--- too dark.
Ultimately I have replaced all of interior vinyl coat with the Golden night, bought used matching pull out from an SE for dinette and couches, put in 18 inch SS sink in kitchen with new formica tops in a slate throughout. Also new faucets and a new basin in the bathroom. changed to all LED's, put in SMV stove and oven as well as the fancy hood. Two fantastic fans and a new vinyl floor. Oh YeaH, also had JC put on drivers side and bedroom awnings to match the original.

I also had new dexter backers, never lube bearings and auto adjust brakes put on locally.

All in I've got about 26,000 and my labor (of love and sometimes hate) in it. Only thing I wish is I had panoramic windows, but I don't know that it truly would enhance our experience that much.

Have to say with all that in it I wouldn't part with it now for any number. Only thing I expect to have to do is replace the axles in a couple of years and annual maintenance.
drairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:09 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
2021 30RB Classic
Lubbock , Texas
What is Golden Night?
onelisab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:05 PM   #10
"Silver Shrek"

2000 27' Safari
Crestwood , Kentucky
Golden alchemy. Wilson art Sorry about that
drairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:09 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
End dResult

Well, some family members checked out the AS for me, it looked to be in good condition, except for some interior updating I would prefer to do. I made an $18,000 offer based on the results I found of other sales. The seller will keep my offer in mind, but has 2 more people coming to check it out. That's OK, I'll keep looking. At least I know I like the set up of a 1999 or 2000 Safari and 27' looks like it would work for me. Keep looking. Thanks everyone for your comments.