Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 09:38 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Somebody is always going to buy new; some people have to have the new car, boat, or RV. Lots of reasons even if you know it will cost a lot more. I would have bought new if I had not happened across my great buy.
But, after spending 3 years on this forum and learning about the real quality problems at Airstream, I would never consider buying new now. I would suffer the wait and look for a lightly used model that has all of the bugs fixed, even if it means I need to buy a new toilet seat for peace of mind.

Larry
Old 03-12-2016, 09:39 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I figure that anyone can spend their money any way they like. It is none of my business. Depreciation is a fact of life for automobiles, trailers, boats, etc. I can think of other reasons to not buy new other than a perception of depreciation. Proper planning goes a long way in preventing disapointment and ulcers.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 03-12-2016, 09:41 AM   #23
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
I want to apologize if my post sounded negative. I was simply saying the post title was trollish in nature (by title) not calling the OP a troll.

Depreciation happens anytime you purchase new. It is one of those unwritten but understood rules.

D
2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
Old 03-12-2016, 09:54 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
We decided to buy new, because we plan to keep it for a long time, there is no guarantee that a slightly used one would have all the bugs fixed, and with the warranty we can know exactly what, if anything, has needed to be done.

On the subject of quality, I went into this knowing that it was man/hand made, and most likely wouldn't be perfect. So far the only real problem has been a bad jack motor that I was able to replace myself with one sent to me from the dealer. We've been through near hurricane force wind/rain when camping with no leaks. Maybe we've just been lucky, but based on our experience so far, my guess is some good ones come off the line too.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:05 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I pur. my 1976 AS new in 1977, I still have, so no hit in depr. as resale worth is about what I pd. new, but every one does not keep that long.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:13 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our new 2012 listed at $72,800, the same model 2016 now lists for $85,300. Have never regretted buying new (well below list price) with a two year warranty which can be worth a lot more in some cases.

Don't know why the o.p. is selling, must have a reason. Sorry to hear.

Perhaps the lesson on depreciation is to have a practical as well as emotional reason for buying something this expensive. And to be sure the model we choose meets our needs for the short and long term.

Airstreams must have a tow vehicle which can be nearly as expensive with even worse depreciation. Match our actual needs and shop just as carefully.

All this comes with purchase and use taxes, maintenance and repairs, fuel expenses, camping expenses, and often storage expenses. As well as some of our spare time at home.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 03-12-2016, 10:20 AM   #27

Yucca Valley , California
What are you selling?

What are you selling? I am interested in a slightly used trailer. Why are you selling it?
Old 03-12-2016, 10:21 AM   #28
Cajun Traveler

2014 27' FB International
Slaughter , Louisiana
Talking Decisions, Decisions

We bought brand new, a 27th ft. international and love it. We plan on keeping it for years. Example, our tow vehicle is a 2001 ford 4x4 with a 7.3 engine with over 200, 000 miles. Got many more miles on this truck. Got my money out of big Bertha and hope to do the same with Allie ! Now, we had lots of kinks in this Airstream. There are advantages of buying new as well as buying used. It's a personal decision.

Happy Camping !
Old 03-12-2016, 10:26 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
My wife and I looked at new AS units at a Hershey, PA RV show last Summer, always loved/wanted an AS but we couldn't get past the new (to us)"retro" interior. The salesman found no humor in my comparison of the aluminum interior to the inside of a B-52. Needless to say, we didn't leave with a new rig but did take a few brochures in case we changed our mind. We ended up finding a used rig less than 45 minutes from home. I had studied these forums before our search and bought testing equipment to help find a decent unit. Our 1989 Excella is a 90 points out of 100 points unit even though I missed a rotted floor spot(dry) under the replaced fridge. The trailer had the last 4' of the rear floor replaced by a PO (w/plywood) and the replaced fridge had been placed on a rebuilt plywood aluminum covered pad. The framework I have seen so far is in good shape with a bit of surface rust. While everything works, we plan to replace all the appliances (except for the fridge), the floor (light blue carpet has to go) and we want a china toilet. The axles/brakes were inspected by a TT tech who said they lot great (I know, I know) and to use the unit a bit before replacing them. The point is, for us new was possible but not practical cost-wise as we paid $15k for the unit and estimate refurbishing it for another $15k-$20k doing most of the work myself. I enjoy working on such things and by getting intimate with our AS, I'll better understand how it goes together and how to take care of it. Based on what I've seen so far, other than the shell/frame construction, the appliances are pretty much the same as in most other TTs and there is really nothing to be afraid of, LOL. We talked with the owners of a 2014 AS (their 3rd) and they were very disappointed with the AS's QC and told us that the factory uses more double-sided tape/less rivets now than in the past to hold their rigs together(can't confirm that claim). All I can say is that we're glad we didn't buy new and hope that those finally get "their" AS enjoy their purchase regardless whether its new or used. As far as value, anything is only worth what you can get someone to pay for it, I'd try to sell it myself...

Good luck and Travel Safe,
James and Rebecca
Old 03-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
This poster is being unrealistic...if he was trying to do this with a motorhome or boat does he think it would be better??? I was in the same position as him as we had just purchased a new 2016 23fb back in september then Airstream came out with the Pendleton which is the trailer we have always wanted so we purchased #99 which will be built next month. Can't wait!!

Anyway, dealer made us an offer on our 23fb which was less than we expected but could have lived with to get the trailer of our dreams...they suggested we sell it ourselves as we had time before our new Pendleton arrived and that's just what we did. Listed it here in the classified and a really nice couple bought our 23fb just last week. It was a win win for us both. The dealership even did the paperwork and transfer for us so I could apply the tax savings to my new one when it arrives. Thank you Vogt RV!!

Purchasing new or used a Airstream is a great choice...It's not a house but a toy so your not going to appreciate in value. What you do appreciate in is happiness and memories...
Old 03-12-2016, 10:42 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I'm sorry for your loss.

In looking at it, however, it sounds as if a year ago, you may have paid MSRP or something close to it for your new AS --- in other words, top retail. And that now, a year later, you want to sell it as easily as possible, meaning having a dealer buy it from you --- at a wholesale price. If so, this is the worst of both transactions. If you had had the patience & taken the time and effort, chances are you could have found a dealer, probably not the one closest to you, who would have been willing to sell it to you for at least a 20% discount, and as others have suggested, with more of your time and effort, you should now be able to sell it yourself for far more than the wholesale price that any dealer could offer you for it --- close or maybe even equal to the price that the dealer will get for it as a one-year old used trailer. The opportunity is there for any consumer to significantly decrease the spread between buying new & selling used. If, however, you "want it now" and want a no-effort buy & a no-effort sell, you're going to pay significantly to do it; it's a matter of how much you value your own time, how much you are willing to postpone your own satisfaction while shopping, & how much effort you are willing to invest in finding deals that are as favorable to you in price as possible. Good deals are there to be had, but they take patience, time, & effort.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Old 03-12-2016, 10:48 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Then there are the stories going around about new Airstreams like our new rigs being held together by less rivets and more double-sided tape.

We have traveled throughout this country many times in our new rig, camped in it over 1100 nights, nothing has broken and all of the original equipment is working fine. We have spent some additional money for comfort and reliability due to our extended travels, but that has also been money well spent. It's been a heck of a nice ride and couldn't be happier with our new Airstream.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 03-12-2016, 11:19 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Kuna , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJORJDB View Post
My wife and I looked at new AS units at a Hershey, PA RV show last Summer, always loved/wanted an AS but we couldn't get past the new (to us)"retro" interior. The salesman found no humor in my comparison of the aluminum interior to the inside of a B-52.
I can see why the salesman found no humor in your comment. There is NO comparison between an Airstream and the interior of a B-52. Unfortunately, I know too well what the inside of a B-52 is like and it isn't remotely like an Airstream......especially new.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:24 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
The last thing I will ever do is consider my Airsteam a financial transaction.

To me it represents the creation of lifelong memories with my family and that is priceless.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #35
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Just the way it is with anything new that has wheels or floats.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Southlake , Texas
Quite honestly, I'll bet the percentage return on the Airstream, all else being equal, is far better than any other SOB. It does hurt, but it's all relative.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:49 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas Center/Des Moines , Iowa
Resale - who is really at fault here?

Of the $69,000 was any of it extended warranty, tax, title, license, delivery, prep, add-ons, loan costs, camping equipment, etc.? Curious, why talk bad about Airstream? No one was forced to buy and pay the negotiated price were they? What was the dealers pre sale commitment to you to ever buy it back and at what price? Makes no sense to be mad at Airstream. Was it a lemon? These units hold value better than any other competitor as far as I know. Not saying buyers remorse, failing to research a best deal before buying or trying to make AS look bad is abnormal but does anyone know anyone who buys a car for example and takes it back to the selling dealer 1 year later expecting top dollar buy back? You obviously know you will get more by selling it yourself. Something seems off on this sort of thread.

Perhaps figure out how much you would pay for that model configured the way it is, in the shape it's in and sell it for that. Just curious, how much should the dealer have offered you?
Old 03-12-2016, 11:56 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
The last thing I will ever do is consider my Airsteam a financial transaction.

To me it represents the creation of lifelong memories with my family and that is priceless.

Couldn't agree more! These memories my wife, pooch and I are building together are worth 100 times what we paid for the trailer - to say nothing of the freedom to go where we want, see what we want, do what we want in our little traveling home on wheels - it's literally priceless and makes me feel like the richest man on the planet.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:19 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
van nuys , California
Airstream is a lifestyle, an American icon. We bought ours 10 years ago and we will keep it until we cant... we are in our mid 70s ! I have bought a lot of expensive cars in my life and always lost money on them. Make good choices in life and you will be happier. Airstream also brings you friends that you will never meet, but, they also have an Airstream and they understand you passion. Go Airstreamer !!
Didier
Old 03-12-2016, 12:23 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Dealers need to fund their trade-in with a bank loan. So the $50 K that they gave you was most likely based on the amount the bank would "loan" them for the trailer. Bank's use services like NADA etc. to determine how much they can front the dealer.

We've found with car/truck sales that consignments tend to work well. We normally get somewhere between trade-in and retail used sale price for our vehicles.
Closed Thread