Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-24-2020, 02:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2020 30' International
Ingleside , Illinois
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 67
Do I go through with purchase or wait???

Currently have an International Serenity on order. It was due to come off the line the Friday after the Ohio shelter in place order went into effect. Kind of looks like they may let the order expire in early May. That means our AS may be ready in mid or late May. When we ordered we got about 19% off MSRP. Of course they added about 2k in various fees! Given the COVID19 and slow down in sales, does it make sense to take delivery, delay to later or try to renegotiate?

Just wondering what the community thinks?
JohnandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 03:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Acheron2010's Avatar
 
2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 691
Welll. If it was me, I'd ask Airstream to locate a 5-rivet dealer that has one in inventory, and negotiate the heck out of the deal.
It might also be an opportunity to step back and convince yourself this is really really really the Airstream you want, or is that gently used Classic Limited with the hickory interior at AtoZMotors the cats pajamas. Or that Pendleton?

full disclosure - I do not work for them, just love those models.
__________________
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500
2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 26RBQ
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:22 PM   #3
2020 Classic 33
 
Box Elder , South Dakota
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,731
Images: 1
What $2k in fees? What could possibly cost you $2k? Maybe you have a second chance at at AS Apple. Love to hear what was included in the fees.
__________________
Gary
2020 Classic 33 Twin, 2019 Ram 3500 Longhorn, ProPride
NØVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:01 PM   #4
Overkill Specialist
Commercial Member
 
GMFL's Avatar

 
2020 30’ Globetrotter
2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,323
Images: 4
Blog Entries: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
What $2k in fees? What could possibly cost you $2k? Maybe you have a second chance at at AS Apple. Love to hear what was included in the fees.
Probably national destination fee of 1334.00 and loan/tag/title fees.
GMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:11 PM   #5
Remember, Safety Third
 
Jim & Susan's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,614
Images: 39
Given the way the economic climate has changed in the last 30 days I would not contemplate ANY major purchase right now. UNLESS, I was independently wealthy and could pay cash for exactly what I wanted. (And then I would expect a very deep discount)

Times are about to be exceptionally hard for most people over the next several years. For the economy, I mean.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

Jim

P.S.: in my state, 30 days ago we had full employment, today we're at about 16% unemployment, the worst since the Great Depression
__________________
www.nesa.org

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
banderabob's Avatar
 
2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandDonna View Post
Currently have an International Serenity on order. It was due to come off the line the Friday after the Ohio shelter in place order went into effect. Kind of looks like they may let the order expire in early May. That means our AS may be ready in mid or late May. When we ordered we got about 19% off MSRP. Of course they added about 2k in various fees! Given the COVID19 and slow down in sales, does it make sense to take delivery, delay to later or try to renegotiate?

Just wondering what the community thinks?
I’ve never bought new, just pre-owned from original owners. Did you have to place a deposit of some type and if so is it refundable? If you are having buyers remorse, now is the time to step back. If no remorse and you still crave the trailer, it doesn’t hurt to ask about an additional discount.

I personally don’t believe people should simply stop purchasing, even major purchases just because of the current virus. Now, if it is negatively impacting one’s financial situation or could, that’s a different consideration. I think most AS buyers are smart enough to assess a situation like this and make the best decision for themselves. What others might do is not relevant as they don’t have to live with your decision.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:06 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member
 
2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 304
Right now, I would cancel. You can probably get great deals on late model trailers. Many people may find themselves in the unfortunate position of having to sell. I'm not one to profit from another persons misery, but if its not you, someone else surely will. And, you may actually be doing them a great service. You also have greater negotiating power NOW with dealers as well.
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Here and There , Pacific Northwest
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 58
We also had a new order interrupted and had the same thoughts. Last week we called the salesperson. "He said" their dealership is on its way to set a record in sales and still receiving many new orders. Also he said no problem if we change our mind as they will be able to sell our order quickly to someone else. With no immediate deadline to decide we are staying with the deal we made. We are paying attention to the news and considering how easy an RV will be to use in the next year. Our final decision is on hold until the time comes that we must decide. Hoping for the best.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:09 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
 
Napa , California
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 262
It is your choice and whatever decision you make depends on you and your financial situation, whether you were borrowing to pay for it or paid in full and whether you now can take advantage of traveling by Airstream or not.

Given the delay, the dealer may be happy to let you out of the deal or you may be able to negotiate a bit of extra "something" to make the delay less painful, think: hoses, solar, tools.

However, if you are not financially stressed and able to do it, you may wish to simply leave the deal in place. I suspect trailers of all sorts will be preferencial travel and vacation for a while and the price may actually go up!
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
Hans627's Avatar

 
2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandDonna View Post
Currently have an International Serenity on order. It was due to come off the line the Friday after the Ohio shelter in place order went into effect. Kind of looks like they may let the order expire in early May. That means our AS may be ready in mid or late May. When we ordered we got about 19% off MSRP. Of course they added about 2k in various fees! Given the COVID19 and slow down in sales, does it make sense to take delivery, delay to later or try to renegotiate?

Just wondering what the community thinks?
If they let the order expire (I don't know exactly what that means), so be it and I would go shopping for a new deal when you can or want to do so.

Otherwise, if it were me, I would honor the deal.

FWIW
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:04 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member
 
2005 30' Safari
London , Ontario
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 13
Do I Go Through With Purchase Or Wait???

First of all I admire the fact that you have decided to slow the process down allowing you to think more about the purchase and solicit the advice of other AS owners.

For me if I am in doubt concerning a purchase I prefer to step back and re-evaluate the item, price and timing. Like others on this forum I prefer to purchase formerly owned AS. Of course this is a personal opinion but it has worked for the three we have owned. I also think that there is wisdom in making sure that this purchase is comfortable in all aspects since the economy is fragile as mentioned by some already. Even the direction/full impact of the virus is still unknown. There has been many good suggestions on this forum and I would concur that for sure I would renegotiate the price if this is the unit i wanted. I might also consider pre-owned in order to get what I want at a much better price. I have seen on this site quite a few nice AS and the truth is that there will be some owners that might have to drop their AS because of the economic situation that many are in now. I wish you best on your decision. Wishing you all good health!
airstream 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master
 
paiceman's Avatar
 
2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,926
Images: 1
We ordered a new F350 and a new AS in mid January. Cancelled both early February as I had a feeling where this was going and living on investments wanted the cash we had set aside for the two purchases to live off of if necessary instead of pulling depressed assets to live on and travel. Plus I have a health issue that if I caught the thing, my outcome would be questionable.

I called both dealers, explained and now hesitation deposits were refunded. I've know both for years, great people. And unfortunately both have not been permitted to sell anything are were forced to close just three weeks after we cancelled our orders.

My guess is if your order goes thru it will be a 2021 model and your price will be honored as you agreed to as AS usually changes over sometime in June to the new model year.

It was to be our 5th AS, now we think about what and where things and we are going with any purchases daily, but have come to no conclusions. I do know I am very pleased with our decision.

Best of Luck in whatever you decide.
__________________
Bud

2020 28' Twin Flying Cloud-(Our 5th Airstream)

USAF Master Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master
 
rideair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,494
My question would be:

"If you buy it, where are you going to use it?"

With most of the Federal/State/Local camping areas shutdown, the commercial CG's are also in a state of flux, shutdown, only 14 day camping, etc..., unless you plan to camp on BLM land, better plan to camp in your driveway or a friends house.

Just a Thought,

Stay Healthy,
__________________
Paul Waddell
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:22 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member
 
M. Smith's Avatar
 
2020 27' International
Tuttle , Oklahoma
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 75
For what it's worth, I ordered in October, having negotiated with several dealers to get exactly what I wanted. Had always purchased gently used before and now wanted something that exactly fit how we camped. Picked it up in early February and it's been sitting in our barn/workshop ever since. I don't know when we'll be able to go traveling, but it will be great if one of us has to self isolate. I don't regret the purchase. This too will pass.
M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:21 AM   #15
Jackson the Airstream
 
Philandsue's Avatar
 
2020 30' Classic
Aurora , Ontario
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 9
I always know...shortly after I make a decision, it it was the right one...my gut leads me there...my heart makes me feel good or bad afterwards...that being said, we have pulled the trigger on a 2020 30’ Classic...as much as we love our Pendleton...and in the midst of this Covid stuff...not knowing when we will be able to use it...Sue and I feel great about our decision!
JohnandDonna...go for it, be ready to go when the all clear whistle sounds....hope is much stronger than fear!
Philandsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
Andrew T's Avatar

 
2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,246
For our store it is surprising how many Airstreams we are selling considering we are closed except for appointments.

When the plant resumes production they are only going to be building at half the rate they were before so that the staff can maintain distancing. The priority is going to be on customer orders. We think there will likely be a shortage of Airstreams.

There are a lot of first time RV owners who used to fly and cruise etc. looking at Airstreams because they see it as a safe way to travel. I'm sure many have been thinking of it previously and this has just helped them make the decision. Interesting may are connecting them to very high end tow vehicles, BMW, Mercedes, Lincolns Tesla's etc.

I have also noticed when people have an underlining concern about the economy they tend to look for quality and value. When times are booming they go drop 300K on a diesel motorhome without thinking. If they slow down and think a little an Airstream makes so much more sense.

As someone who has been through the ups and downs of the RV industry for 50 years my gut feel is the economy is going to take off with lots of pent up demand as soon as we know how to do it safely. The longer term debt load is my bigger concern.

I hope this helps.

Andy
__________________
Andrew Thomson
London, Ontario

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:28 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member
 
1992 34' Limited
South bend , Indiana
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 19
AS plants will be at 30% less not 50% per the latest update from them. We supply them parts so that 30% was in writing from corporate. As far the last comment about selling you are absolutely correct. Retail sales in the late summer/fall will far exceed OEM production levels. That and all Americans will not love the following: planes, hotels and cruise ships but they will still want to travel.
Farren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:31 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
 
2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
My question would be:

"If you buy it, where are you going to use it?"

With most of the Federal/State/Local camping areas shutdown, the commercial CG's are also in a state of flux, shutdown, only 14 day camping, etc..., unless you plan to camp on BLM land, better plan to camp in your driveway or a friends house.

Just a Thought,

Stay Healthy,
I wonder if most KOAs (although expensive) are still open. They are private and probably could close ever other site for social distancing and not turn people away.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:59 AM   #19
Rivet Master
 
KK4YZ's Avatar
 
2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Sanctuary View Post
I wonder if most KOAs (although expensive) are still open. They are private and probably could close ever other site for social distancing and not turn people away.
Georgia state parks and many, if not most, private campgrounds are still open. We’ll be camping this weekend. Daughter & her family will meet us there with their camper & we’ll enjoy Mother’s Day.

Not sure where this COVID thing is headed long term, but as Andy mentioned, RVing has got to be the safest way to travel around vs Airlines, hotels and rental cars.

GA state parks collects fees online in advance during this time. Check in doesn’t even require you go into the office.

As a 2million miler on Delta and a recent retiree, I’ll be happy if I never have to go to an airport again ��

I think the answer to the OP’s question depends on their financial situation, not the future of RVing, IMHO.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:57 AM   #20
Mr.
 
2015 27' FB International
Melbourne , Florida
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 5
Exclamation Mr

We are selling our 2015 International Serenity 27FB for $59,900 in Florida. Look for our featured ad in Airstream Classified. We will negotiate for a cash deal.
lgonz66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Purchase Walk Through Advice Troutboy Buyer Guidelines 28 12-18-2016 09:37 PM
First Airstream purchase... need purchase tips, please. movin-in Buyer Guidelines 8 06-03-2010 05:09 PM
Possible purchase need purchase/deposit/title forms LiLNomad Dollars & Cents 5 05-28-2010 12:59 PM
This Forum is Fab!!! Can't wait to get my A/S 05ModPod The Pet Forum 8 05-27-2004 10:57 AM
Wait! What about trailer width? pinkflamingoes Airstream Trailer Forums 11 04-22-2004 05:39 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.