Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2013, 02:14 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post

All previous owners think that their trailer is in "pretty good" shape. They aren't being dishonest, they just don't know how to really inspect a trailer either, and they aren't really trying to find problems, as they want to get rid of it for the highest price possible... It isn't good enough that a PO tells you "everything was working the last time we used it in 2009." You want to see actual evidence that things have been replaced or repaired.
This bears repeating. Assume something will need replacing unless you see it work. I can't recall hearing of a 1970's era Tradewind that didn't have rear end rot issues. It's a nearly inevitable part of the design. Poke with an awl around the perimeter of the floor at the very back. Just inside the front door is another common soft spot. If there is any flooring on top of the original plywood subfloor, be extra cautious and suspicious.

I believe the furnaces on those older trailers were recalled...something about leaking carbon monoxide.

If the trailer has been sitting, it's probably been plugged in to shore power. Get a demonstration of the entire electrical system on battery power or assume you'll be doing some wiring.

$7,000 sounds high to me to, for something of a vintage where "nearly original" translates into "old and worn out."

We absolutely love our 1971 Tradewind, either in spite of or because of the fact that we've lovingly repaired or replaced nearly every system, wall, furnishing or appliance in the thing. It's been a 3+ year project that started with a trailer that looked pretty functional.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rifle , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
This bears repeating. Assume something will need replacing unless you see it work. I can't recall hearing of a 1970's era Tradewind that didn't have rear end rot issues. It's a nearly inevitable part of the design. Poke with an awl around the perimeter of the floor at the very back. Just inside the front door is another common soft spot. If there is any flooring on top of the original plywood subfloor, be extra cautious and suspicious.

I believe the furnaces on those older trailers were recalled...something about leaking carbon monoxide.

If the trailer has been sitting, it's probably been plugged in to shore power. Get a demonstration of the entire electrical system on battery power or assume you'll be doing some wiring.

$7,000 sounds high to me to, for something of a vintage where "nearly original" translates into "old and worn out."
Thanks for your input. A recall?? Can you guide me to a link or can anyone else back that up?? That's pretty scary. My wife's old boss had some friends that rented a home in Vail that had furnace issues. All 5 of them died from the CO poisoning. So we're wary of that in particular since we plan to potentially live in this thing. If we make it back out there with a fellow forum member to inspect, I'll definitely check those spots you mention.

Thanks again.
Matt
bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
We have both CO2 and smoke detectors installed. Worth doing.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rifle , Colorado
totally worth it.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #25

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
My vintage unit also has CO2, LP, and smoke detectors. Helps to sleep better at night.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
1989 29' Land Yacht
Diana , Texas
wow...thinking about selling my 71 Safari...it is in sweet shape...if I can get more than 5k I'm thinking more serioously about it...need a ski boat to go along with our squarestream ;
Diana is about a 2 hr drive from Dallas/FW area
Old 09-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #27
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller View Post
Thanks for your input. A recall?? Can you guide me to a link or can anyone else back that up?? That's pretty scary. My wife's old boss had some friends that rented a home in Vail that had furnace issues. All 5 of them died from the CO poisoning. So we're wary of that in particular since we plan to potentially live in this thing. If we make it back out there with a fellow forum member to inspect, I'll definitely check those spots you mention.

Thanks again.
Matt
Furnaces manufactured by International Oil Burner were used during that era. There was a recall, but the company is now out of business and parts are no longer available. If you have one of those furnaces, don't light it, sometimes they emit CO, sometimes they burn or explode.

The new ones are much better anyway, with electronic ignition.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #28

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Most of the 70s trailers had Suburban furnaces and the NT-22 was the Suburban model that was widely used and recalled. The recall problem was a tube that could crack and allow CO from combustion exhaust to enter the trailer. I think he one Jammer cited was more known for the fire-and-explosion thing, which is arguably even worse. You can't tell if the recall was done without taking the furnace out, and by then you might as well go back with a modern one.

Another advantage of newer furnaces he didn't mention is that they require fewer amps in operation, extending the battery life a bit.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rifle , Colorado
Thanks guys. I just looked at a video I took while in the trailer The owner points out the heater and says "I've got some sensors and things..." and the heater says SUBURBAN and has a white/red sticker below that that is peeling that I think says "_YNA-TRAIL" Is that Dyna-Trail or something? May help to narrow down if it is a recalled unit.

Matt
Old 09-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Even without a recall a 40+ year old furnace may have rusted through.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote