Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2017, 01:43 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
No way!

Good advice so far. You need to inspect in person at a minimum and have a day to think it over IMO. If the dealer does not back down, I would call Airstream and complain like heck.

If this deal falls apart please post the dealer name and location.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
IMO this dealer is unethical and one to stay away from. Once you pay for no matter what it's yours even if damaged or destroyed before delivery. If you would like to state dealers name would be warning for other buyers and maybe shape this dealers way of doing bus. Old saying one unhappy cust. like 5,000 bad advertisements.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:49 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Is it even legal? What if your unit is damaged with delivery, be it a collision, or some other damage or defect in manufacturing, where QA failed...

No one wants to walk off a lot forced to accept a giant ugly asterisk - no way!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:52 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
There are other posts on this subject. The consensus is don't do it and that is NOT standard practice.

I'll see if I can drag up the last thread. Lots of good advice.

I bought a new one 6 months ago. Paid $1000 down. When unit arrived I came out, spent 4 hours going through it, and only after I accepted it, did we go inside and seal the deal with final payment.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:54 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I live in Birmingham....if you do not go public, at least PM me the dealer name...I had some interest in a new-ish dealer that is now closer to me than my previous dealer...but would be interested in specifics at minimum for my own future decisions...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:12 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Don't do it. You can buy it somewhere else. This dealer does not deserve your business.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
pay in full

There is at least one dealer I know who has offices in several locations in FL, NJ, NY, with sales offices in NY. You need to discuss your plan with someone at the dealer where your going to pick up is my suggestion. I assume you have made a deposit, yes? If so, use that to your advantage. I would suggest:
1) tell them you have deposit down, but need to see unit prior to taking delivery and paying balance. This sometimes can take place same day as delivery if you plan well with dealer doing the make ready.
2) tell them you will bring the cashiers check or final financing paperwork for signature when you take delivery. Pressure is on them now to get unit coordinated for your visit and delivery, and give you a confirmation date. No surprises at the dealer, service department doing final make ready, nor you and their finance team.

Really is not that big of a deal to me, unless you do not have the time to invest. If the pricing is where you like it, may be worth a little inconvenience to try to get them to work with you.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:29 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I'd like to give three cheers for the dealer from whom I (in the Seattle area) bought my AS: Toscano RV, in Los Banos, CA. Over the phone we negotiated the sales price of the AS & the trade-in value of my year-old 5th wheel. I drove the 5th wheel from Seattle to Los Banos, arriving on a Friday afternoon. Toscano inspected the 5th wheel and approved the trade-in value. They let us sleep in the AS Friday, Saturday, & Sunday night in their lot with power & water & at no charge. Monday morning we had the AS inspection & found several issues. While they corrected the issues, we did the paperwork and I wrote them a check for the difference. By noon on Mon, the deal was done. Absolutely no hassles. Way to go, Toscano.
"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:49 PM   #49
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Another "No" vote here. What if the trailer they got isn't the trailer you ordered? What if it has flaws that aren't detected until you do an initial walk-through?

They could always sell the trailer to someone else, but I would not allow them to pressure me in this way. I would need to see the trailer and walk through carefully before I gave them anything more than the deposit. This should not be a "pig in a poke" deal.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:42 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
What is the dealer afraid of that he needs the money up front? I agree with the others. Don't pay until you have inspected the AS and are completely satisfied. The only leverage you have is the money.
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:53 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Thanks...

Thanks for all the info/advise.
Lesson learned - get ALL info prior to placing an order.
Finance manager is suppose to contact me in a few days.
So before I slam them too hard I will give them a chance.
I definitely will stand my ground - inspect/demo before signing.
Otherwise I'll have to figure out a way to kill the deal and get deposit back.
But for now I'll try to think happy thoughts and stay positive.
It just upsets me they seem to turning what should be an exciting event into one of frustration and aggravation.
Will definitely follow up.
So stay tuned - same bat time - same bat channel...
Old 05-15-2017, 10:44 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We had lots of "travel" damage caused by the high speed run from the factory to Arizona with our 2014 Classic. I have driven that same route a dozen times at posted plus 5 mph. The solo driver made it in much less time. So much for the 65 mph speed rating on the stock 15" GYM ST225/75R15D tires.

I photoed and documented every flaw and broken part. The dealer signed off that this was the way the unit arrived. From prior experiences with our 2013 25FB International Serenity, I knew the dealership could only be trusted to change a light bulb with my supervision.

I paid and took it to a third party to correct all issues and repairs using the type of parts that Airstream should have installed. That same shop did all the custom work on this trailer and the 2015 23D International Serenity.

I was shocked at the condition of our 2015 23D International Serenity at a large east coast dealership. After the inspection, I knew my plans to take it elsewhere for work were well founded.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:41 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Delivery and Shakedown Report

Well, the long anticipation is over. Picked the 26U Twin 5 days ago, camped 3 nights and finally home after the 800 miles home.

1. I'll first state the dealership was RVOne in Orlando. We took about an hour to inspect the trailer for signing. They had everything plugged in, spotless, and ready to go and we found no issues. The demo guy was an Airstream owner himself and spent several hours showing us everything, providing the do's and don'ts, and providing many tips. Overall they were professional in every way and we were very pleased with the whole experience with one exception - their location is in a busy part of the city and when leaving you are dumped into heavy traffic. So nothing like trial by fire I guess. Ultimately there may be better dealerships out there, but I wouldn't not recommend them. Just when they want full payment up front just insist on a quick inspection first and they have no problem with that. But believe or not about half of their customers actually do pay up front sight unseen (lot of money in Orlando).

2. After 3 nights of shakedown we've only noticed two minor issues. One being the bathroom door slightly rubs the top pantry handle. We found that during the inspection. Not a big deal to me since after all the things are hand-made therefore I don't expect absolute perfection (my house sure wasn't). The other which we just found is a small tear in one of the window screens. Not sure if we missed it or caused it, but it's a simple repair.

3. No issues so far with microwave drawer opening under tow.

4. Love the macerator. Just only flush your waste and RV TP and should be ok (been used in boats forever). I also open/dump the bio-packs as an added precaution.

5. Not used the tables yet, but demo guy told us to always store the tables (not necessarily the posts) before towing. This will prevent excess pressure on the supporting structure.

6. Returning the WDH. With the 2017 F250 found that the front only raises 3/4 inch and rear squats 1 3/8s inch. So they tossed in a 4-inch drop stinger and we just dropped on the ball. Figured we know during 800 miles home if the anti-sway part would be worth keeping the Equalizer. Well, running 65-70 the whole way in storms, 30-40 crosswind gusts, and dealing with big trucks sure there was some buffeting and that's probably always going to exist but had no sway issues at all - she was pretty much a rock. Now out West may be different, but for our foreseeable needs just dropping on the ball is far easier and works just fine.

Overall we so far love our 26U Twin Airstream. Very livable, abundant storage, and ours thus far has been almost perfect. Thus far all the quality control horror stories have not applied to our unit. The campgrounds in Florida are awesome, the dealership was professional in every way, and overall the trip was a great experience (although tiring). The only negative comment we've had is the drivers in Orlando area are rude, aggressive, and impatient. If you are towing in that area you'll get NO respect.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:52 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWBishop View Post
Well, the long anticipation is over. Picked the 26U Twin 5 days ago, camped 3 nights and finally home after the 800 miles home.

1. I'll first state the dealership was RVOne in Orlando. We took about an hour to inspect the trailer for signing. They had everything plugged in, spotless, and ready to go and we found no issues. The demo guy was an Airstream owner himself and spent several hours showing us everything, providing the do's and don'ts, and providing many tips. Overall they were professional in every way and we were very pleased with the whole experience with one exception - their location is in a busy part of the city and when leaving you are dumped into heavy traffic. So nothing like trial by fire I guess. Ultimately there may be better dealerships out there, but I wouldn't not recommend them. Just when they want full payment up front just insist on a quick inspection first and they have no problem with that. But believe or not about half of their customers actually do pay up front sight unseen (lot of money in Orlando).

2. After 3 nights of shakedown we've only noticed two minor issues. One being the bathroom door slightly rubs the top pantry handle. We found that during the inspection. Not a big deal to me since after all the things are hand-made therefore I don't expect absolute perfection (my house sure wasn't). The other which we just found is a small tear in one of the window screens. Not sure if we missed it or caused it, but it's a simple repair.

3. No issues so far with microwave drawer opening under tow.

4. Love the macerator. Just only flush your waste and RV TP and should be ok (been used in boats forever). I also open/dump the bio-packs as an added precaution.

5. Not used the tables yet, but demo guy told us to always store the tables (not necessarily the posts) before towing. This will prevent excess pressure on the supporting structure.

6. Returning the WDH. With the 2017 F250 found that the front only raises 3/4 inch and rear squats 1 3/8s inch. So they tossed in a 4-inch drop stinger and we just dropped on the ball. Figured we know during 800 miles home if the anti-sway part would be worth keeping the Equalizer. Well, running 65-70 the whole way in storms, 30-40 crosswind gusts, and dealing with big trucks sure there was some buffeting and that's probably always going to exist but had no sway issues at all - she was pretty much a rock. Now out West may be different, but for our foreseeable needs just dropping on the ball is far easier and works just fine.

Overall we so far love our 26U Twin Airstream. Very livable, abundant storage, and ours thus far has been almost perfect. Thus far all the quality control horror stories have not applied to our unit. The campgrounds in Florida are awesome, the dealership was professional in every way, and overall the trip was a great experience (although tiring). The only negative comment we've had is the drivers in Orlando area are rude, aggressive, and impatient. If you are towing in that area you'll get NO respect.
Great update! We are picking our new FC 28' up June 7 or 8 in Portland. Hard decision over the 26', but wife won the argument! Will post our experience when we pick up. We ended up getting same deal in OR as was offered in FL, but OR is closer to our destination for the summer....MT.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:00 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Picked up the new 2018 catalogues Friday. The 26U is now the 26RB. Still on the top of my "I want one" list. I recently talked to a salesmen from RVOne. Interesting business model. Quoted prices were the best I have found. Orlando would be their closet dealership to me also. Them seem to have much better reviews with the new ownership/management.

Bishop, what options did you get on your new 26? Glad to hear that you received a proper systems brief and did do diligence in your personal inspection.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:29 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Options

Interesting they a renaming it. Wonder when they will have the 26RB in International series...

We ordered our 26U with the following:

1. Truffle interior. The new fabric is fantastic.

2. Awning Package. This is a must.

3. Twin AC 50 Amp. Gotta have this in the South, plus other advantages to having 50 Amp if available. Big cable true, but getting 50/30 adapter with 30Amp cord and a 50/15 adapter with an extension cord solves that.

4. Backup Camera. Find really don't need the camera for backing since will have a spotter, so will angle it slightly higher and use for rear-view monitor when towing.

Did not upgrade to convection oven, but decided to keep standard oven instead. If no power can still at least bake, and won't miss the extra pantry storage (it's already plenty big enough for us). Still debate myself on this.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:27 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Bishop, nice upgrades. Similar thoughts on the convection/microwave oven. I have a small convection/microwave oven in the house and rarely use the big oven except for the occasional large pizza. So torn between which to get. In 6 years of Airstream ownership I have never used the built in gas oven. Actually I have never even attempted to light it.
Couple of questions, What tires and power converter did your unit come with? I heard they have upgraded both.
Also what are your plans/thoughts on solar and battery upgrades?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 05-29-2017, 06:28 AM   #58
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Goldenrod , Florida
We posted earlier in this thread about our FC 25' twin delivery at Tampa RVone. We are on our way to our 4th outing with it so far. Still trying to get a feel for how it works vs how it is supposed to work. Fresh, Gray, and Black tanks are hit and miss with providing an accurate reading but I understand that is common. When we did our first wash down, we discovered that one of the front upper rock guards had a stripped out connector. It took a looonnnnggg time for Tampa RVone to order in the correct parts and even then I had to call to see if they had received them yet. The answer, of course, was "yes, they just came in yesterday". All that aside, they arranged for a mobile repairman from their dealership to come to Orlando and repair the rock guard for us. A little strange since we and the repairman both wondered why they didn't ask Orlando RVone to do the call. Orlando RVone actually has a staffed, new RV receiving building about a hundred yards from our trailer storage site. Oh well, it's fixed now.

Totally agree with the take that MWBISHOP has on Orlando drivers. We have lived hear going on 40 years. I drive past the Orlando RVone dealership EVERY work day and between the people texting, talking on phones, turning left from the far right hand lanes, weaving, straightening curves, not using turn signals, throwing trash from windows, and just being downright mean, you are at risk every single minute.
lafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:18 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Bishop, nice upgrades. Similar thoughts on the convection/microwave oven. I have a small convection/microwave oven in the house and rarely use the big oven except for the occasional large pizza. So torn between which to get. In 6 years of Airstream ownership I have never used the built in gas oven. Actually I have never even attempted to light it.
Couple of questions, What tires and power converter did your unit come with? I heard they have upgraded both.
Also what are your plans/thoughts on solar and battery upgrades?
Yes, may never or rarely use the oven either, or convection oven for that matter. Had a gas oven in an apartment a thousand years ago and did not have any issues using one, so it was a hard decision - I still second-guess.

GY Endurance tires now installed are suppose to be way better than the Marathons. I guess only time will tell, but I like the higher speed rating meaning can tow at 70 if traffic dictates and stay well below the tire rating.
Oh, probably already know but get a good torque wrench. My lugs did not get loose enough to fall off or anything, but several did need to be slightly re-torqued when I got home.

The new ASs also have the new 1-piece roof which I think is a HUGE improvement that I don't think is emphasized enough.

Yes, comes with the 1000W Pure Sine, but not educated on what difference that would make. Doubt we will go solar for the foreseeable future. We'll be storing in covered-storage so no benefit there to charge batts and we'll likely be in campgrounds 99% of the time so no solar benefit there either.

So far my only complaint so far is I am not yet retired and won't be able to enjoy the new 26U as much as would like to for now. But one day...
Old 05-29-2017, 09:00 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Bishop, thanks for the reply. Let us know how she works out you.