Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2020, 02:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , NM
Delivery Delays from Jackson Center?

Anyone else with a new trailer on order experiencing delivery delays from their dealer?

I'm waiting for a 2021 Flying Could 23FB, which apparently was finished at Jackson Center on 10/19. However, the dealer has repeatedly said the trailer hasn't been delivered to their lot yet. When I put down the deposit in July the dealer said it usually takes 2-3 business days for trailers to arrive from JC. I'm located in Louisiana and ordered from a dealer close by in a neighboring state.

Are others experiencing this issue? Should this be a red flag re the dealer?

Thanks for any insight you all can offer!

David
dmc2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
City , West Virginia
Mine came off the line last Thursday (Nov 5). I’ve not been given a ship date yet. I was told it takes one day from Jackson to Tampa after it leaves. I will say that it actually came off the line a day earlier than they told me it would a couple months ago. I was also told that AS has hired additional transport companies to help with the volume. Some back info: I ordered my AS on June 20. Interested to hear other experiences.
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Apparently, this is a 2020 reality. We hope ours will be finished on time and delivered in a few weeks but...
The supply chain for refrigerators, air conditioners, CO detectors, propane detectors and a whole bunch of things are holding things up.
Can’t wait for this year to be over!
Old 11-09-2020, 04:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
This is somewhat normal this year...
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Our International 25RB was supposed to be offline last week. As of now that has not happened. They told me to allow 10 days from offline to delivery. Frankly I’m not buying that either. We deal with overland freight companies every day in my business. Freight companies are a disaster right now. There are simply not enough trucks and not enough drivers for the demand and it will only get worse before it gets better. I’ll be shocked if we have our trailer by Christmas.
Interested to hear from others in similar situations.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:02 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , NM
Appreciate all the replies- they put me at ease.

Luckily, I got a call from the dealer about an hour after starting this thread saying the unit arrived.

Hope anyone else waiting has as timely a delivery as possible.
dmc2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
Our International 25RB was supposed to be offline last week. As of now that has not happened. They told me to allow 10 days from offline to delivery. Frankly I’m not buying that either. We deal with overland freight companies every day in my business. Freight companies are a disaster right now. There are simply not enough trucks and not enough drivers for the demand and it will only get worse before it gets better. I’ll be shocked if we have our trailer by Christmas.
Interested to hear from others in similar situations.
Apparently, Airstream lost some of their delivery drivers to other RV manufacturers when a bonus was offered. This slowed things down until Airstream counter offer. I’m told that things are getting back on track again.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:38 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
South Easton , MA
My basecamp 20 was supposed to be delivered in Oct, but now I'm told Jan 2021. The dealer doesn't provide any info or insight into this at all, so its a bit frustrating, how are folks getting more details about their specific trailer? is that coming from the dealer or direct from AS?
kgottleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
I will say that the dealer that I am working with (Airstream of Tampa) has been very responsive every time I have asked about delivery updates which lately has been at least once or twice a week. They pass on updates that they are getting directly from AS(the actual emails from AS) so I know they are giving me correct info as they get it. So at least in my case, its the Airstream factory that's the issue, not the dealer.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Why no local delivery option?

I realize that dealers are responsible for inspection and detailing including minor repairs, but it seems like Airstream could allow an option of local pickup by buyers. If I could get my new trailer a month quicker by picking it up near the factory, I would certainly go for that. A rebate on the transport costs would be great too!
Old 11-10-2020, 09:49 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
2021 27' Flying Cloud
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Our 2021 Flying Cloud 27FB had a projected offline date of October 29. Originally, we were supposed to receive it a week later. But our dealer mentioned that there was a shortage of delivery drivers and he was seeing a 3 to 4 week delay in deliveries. Hopefully, our unit will arrive the week after Thanksgiving.
ToBoldlyRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:10 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Airstreams (and most RVs) are delivered to dealers by small independent transportation operators. One person, one truck type operators moving 1-3 trailers at a time and demand has been enormous. I would expect a few days delay. Not a red flag.
matthewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:18 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you sit there and watch the "delivery guys" roar in and out of the AS lot, they are a varied bunch. Some drive pretty fancy vehicles, most drive very run of the mill pickup trucks. There is no indication at all that any of them are AS employees.

My understanding has always been that they are independent contractors. They carry their own insurance and supply all the "gear" involved in hauling the trailer. Indeed, dealers sometimes contract them to move trailers to another dealer on their "return trip" back to JC.

AS is sort of out in the middle of nowhere as far as "home base" for most of the trailer delivery guys. If you run past Elkhart in the morning, there is a massive fleet of them leaving town, pretty much any day of the week. Again, no indication of who's who, though a few (running out of Elkhart) do have odd logo's on the truck door.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:02 AM   #14

2021 27' International
Evergreen , Colorado
We order a 27" International early Oct 2020 and we are now being told delivery will be late April early May
CurtisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Factory Lot is Full

Full Disclosure: I do not intend to spread rumor, false speculation, or innuendo; I know nothing of the root cause.

That being said...I grew up very close to Jackson Center and my parents still live there. Two weeks ago they drove through town and past the trailer assembly plant. My father remarked that they had an incredibly large amount of "apparently finished" trailers sitting outside the factory. In his words, "10 or 20 times more than the normal quantity."

I could interpret his observation in one of two ways: Either the trailers are indeed finished and are awaiting transport to point-of-sale locations, or they are nearly finished and are waiting for a few backordered components before being released to shipping. Either way, it would appear that there are a bunch of anxious families hoping for their new babies to arrive soon.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
1 day from JC to Tampa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBelle33 View Post
Mine came off the line last Thursday (Nov 5). I’ve not been given a ship date yet. I was told it takes one day from Jackson to Tampa after it leaves. I will say that it actually came off the line a day earlier than they told me it would a couple months ago. I was also told that AS has hired additional transport companies to help with the volume. Some back info: I ordered my AS on June 20. Interested to hear other experiences.
That must be one fast driver! Approx. 1100 miles. They must not follow Hours of Service rules or just ignore them. Possibly a team operation. When going south on I-75 through Cincinnati, Ohio after a warranty visit at JC I observed a brand new AS still with the wrappers on being pulled at breakneck speed down I-75. Given the condition of I-75 at that time I would not have wanted that to be my AS.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 01:41 PM   #17

2021 28' International
Cape Canaveral , Florida
Hi AnnaBelle33, We also bought our International 28 from Tampa in June, and it is scheduled to came off the line tomorrow, 11-10. We were originally told August......
Anyway, Best of luck with your delivery and your Classic. Just curious why you didn't buy from Southland in GA.?
retirednow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 01:42 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Erie , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybauman View Post
Full Disclosure: I do not intend to spread rumor, false speculation, or innuendo; I know nothing of the root cause.

That being said...I grew up very close to Jackson Center and my parents still live there. Two weeks ago they drove through town and past the trailer assembly plant. My father remarked that they had an incredibly large amount of "apparently finished" trailers sitting outside the factory. In his words, "10 or 20 times more than the normal quantity."

I could interpret his observation in one of two ways: Either the trailers are indeed finished and are awaiting transport to point-of-sale locations, or they are nearly finished and are waiting for a few backordered components before being released to shipping. Either way, it would appear that there are a bunch of anxious families hoping for their new babies to arrive soon.

Here's what the factory lot looked like in September when we were in for service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1320.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	503.3 KB
ID:	382956  
Rick & Becky #28279
2018 FC27FBQ
2021 RAM 2500 Hemi 6.4
KD3OBX 146.520
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:48 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
City , West Virginia
Delivery Delays from Jackson Center?

Quote:
Originally Posted by retirednow View Post
Hi AnnaBelle33, We also bought our International 28 from Tampa in June, and it is scheduled to came off the line tomorrow, 11-10. We were originally told August......
Anyway, Best of luck with your delivery and your Classic. Just curious why you didn't buy from Southland in GA.?

Hello! Thanks for the note. We tried to purchase from Southland and they would not negotiate on price and were not very responsive during the sales process. Tampa gave me the price I was looking for and have been great in communicating with me. (Jessica & Sue) Good luck to you as well.
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:48 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Lakeport , Michigan
I literally just got home after dropping ours off today for work. There were a heck of a lot more parked there today than in that photo!
Motown is offline   Reply With Quote