Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2015, 07:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Msmoto is in the ball park. Our 2014 falls into this range.

A 2015 could have been had for an additional $1000 to $2000. I did not like the fit of the air condition interior vents and the height of the trailer was getting too close to the clearance of our 10 foot garage door. (The 2015 is taller than a 2014)

When the list of options and standard has everything you can imagine... time of the year (Fall before the next model year is good), 25 foot and longer has more room as far as total dollars to be made, local market conditions (large corporate closure or layoffs), or even bad weather can give you some negotiating room.

Mention that you have been browsing Florida, Ohio and California dealers... and let that stew a bit. Check resale prices on late model used Airstreams in your area on Craigslist. Get a feel for what what you want sells for USED after a year or two... Sometimes you can buy a new trailer for less than a used older trailer... true. These sellers may have paid way too much, themselves.

Many owners are reluctant to talk about dollars paid, as we all like to believe we did the best we could in our region, our town, our local RV dealer. You can always pay too much. Eventually after the check is written and you have used the trailer for a couple years... it really is forgotten. Especially at my age as I will ask the wife... "now, what did we pay for this trailer?" It was more than our 2006 23 foot Airstream, but less than our house. A good place to start!

In the process... have them throw in a new hitch, upgrade the batteries, install solar, toss in a parts coupon/credit, add vent covers on top, a free brake job in four years, a part time job for your nephew next summer, and.... and. You never know and will not find out unless... you ASK.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:31 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Shreveport , Louisiana
Rmkrum wrote.......Basically told the salesman when he pulled out the 'quad chart'

What is a quad chart?
Endodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:42 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Never give a price you will pay. In vehicle negotiations the one who gives a number usually is he "loser" in the deal. Of course that said if you buy an AS then you are the winner as I am pretty sure most people on this site would not shell out hard earned dollars at a higher level than they are comfortable with.

Good luck shopping.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:12 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We went looking 2 weeks ago at a deler in out state who we had not yet visited.

They have a used 2014 in the model we want. After looking over all the models on the lot, we go back inside for the table talk. I mention that the dealer in city X has a new 2014 of that model on their website.

When the nice young man comes back with the paperwork to discuss, I am very pleased at where they are on price for their used 2014.

He was a very bright salesperson, and I at this point am a fairly well informed newbie shopper.

Wish we were ready to buy right now. We feel that financially it will make more sense in about 18 months.

But we now have a dealer to use that we felt knows what they are doing, and prices fairly. That is nice to have settled.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:16 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I have also played game of working dif. auto dealers for over 60 yrs. over for best price, but 3 yrs. ago had to pur. new car, another dealer was 20 or so miles away, I did not go there, local 3 1/2 miles away haggled is understatement, serv. excellent friendly never sorry for pur. Other dealer would have better price, travel, sch. service not worth it. Last AS pur 1976 I still have but 1st AS pur. 1966 there were a lot of dealers close by pur. from one I felt comf. with now AS dealers are scarce, besides I'm never going to pur. another [81 yrs. old] this is last for me.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:51 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A quad chart is a negotiation tool that salesmen use to keep track of vehicle price, trade in, down payment, and financing. It has 4 sections, thus the name. Search it out on he web for more data.

Typically it is used to confuse the customer to the dealers advantage. It's part of their negotiating game. I simply won't spend the time playing games. I do the research on what a vehicle should cost via Edmunds or some other research site, find and figure out the price I consider reasonable, and go from there. If the salesman doesn't want to play fair, I let my wife take over the negotiations.

That results in the salesman and dealer loosing big time because she is basically unstoppable when she has a price in mind. It's genetic--she's Chinese from Hong Kong. There is a reason I call her the Dragon Lady. I've seen her turn a dealership inside out to get what she wants. And she WILL get what she wants. The rest of our family sits back and watches the fur fly. She has negotiated deals that are legendary at the dealerships that tried to talk her into something worse than what she wanted. Not pretty if you are the sales droid....

Eliminating the Quad Chart game is the first step to saving a lot of time and silliness. My youngest son just bought a Lexus using our family techniques. He saved over 10,000 on the deal by doing the research and not playing the game...its genetic.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:08 AM   #27
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
A quad chart is a negotiation tool that salesmen use to keep track of vehicle price, trade in, down payment, and financing. It has 4 sections, thus the name. Search it out on he web for more data.
The key there is:
1 - If you have a trade-in, do not negotiate the price and the trade-in at the same time. Settle on a price first, then figure out how much you'll get for the trade-in. As soon as they start quoting a price with, "With your trade-in that will be…" they're trying to get the trade-in for next to nothing. In fact, if you have a trade-in, best not to even mention the fact until you've settled on a price.
2 - Don't negotiate based on financing. When they say, "We can put you in one for XX per month…" you'll lose sight of the total price and they count on that. Settle on a price first. Then discuss financing terms if you're not paying cash.

And possibly the most important negotiating tip, in my opinion… Do not fall in love with it before you buy it! Don't let anyone in the family fall in love with it. You have to be prepared to hate it so you can walk away from the deal if the deal isn't good enough. As soon as the dealer knows that you love it, he doesn't have to work as hard anymore to make you want it— and you'll pay more.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:15 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Exactly. Tying the trade-in into the deal is a killer. I usually use a cash down and sell the old vehicle elsewhere. Financing gets checked on MY calculator based on APR and amount. Monthly payment is also a trap.

Wife is an expert at walking out, and discussing the deal when the salesperson is out of the office in Cantonese. The offices are usually bugged.

It's important to understand that the salesman is not the one making the deal. He is a go-between. The sales manager is the authority.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:18 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
I have not bought an AS from a dealer. We tried but after catching them in a few, I will call them inconsistent statements, we told them to give us our deposit back. I hate the haggle in buying vehicles as well. Even though I negotiate for much of my professional career. I find what we want with a lot of online research. When we go in we find what they have that we want, Maureen and I discuss price privately and then we tell them to give us your best price, one shot. If we like it we will write a check and if we don't we will go elsewhere. One salesman told us it wouldn't be any higher than what was displayed, we said goodby. He was apoplectic. But others get it and come back with a fair price.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
we had been negotiating on an Arctic Fox, a brand well known in the PNW and a quality build to boot. 20% off of MSRP was the deal with the equalizer hitch included. but in considering this unit, it just seemed too long for us so i backed away.

as a fluke, we stopped in at an AS dealer in the Seattle area. a great young man showed us around answering all of our questions and then as an aside showed us a 25' FB 2014. there were only 4 2014's left on the lot and they were somewhat anxious to sell these. the interior of this particular trailer was exactly what we had been looking for, bright and cheerie.

so we sat down and the management presented their price. given that i had achieved the 20% on a different brand and we were in no hurry, i counter offered with that discounted price. much to my surprise, your counter offer was accepted.

you never know if you don't try.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:55 AM   #31
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
Sunny San Diego , California
Bay Area Airstream

I was working with Christina Bross up in Fairfield, CA. Too my surprise this dealership had far superior customer service than Los Angeles & Orange County. Christina offered 18% off MSRP on a 2015 Eddie Bauer and was an absolute pleasure to deal with.

I highly recommend Bay Area Airstream and any of their sister locations (Seattle and Oregon).

Best of luck!
Old 02-21-2015, 11:40 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
i should have also mentioned that timing is important. we were at this dealership at the end of one model year and the beginning of the next. it was in their best interests to make a deal on a unit from the last model year. not sure trying to find a deal at this time of year would work as well, but why not try.

we dealt with the AS dealer in Covington, WA. Danny Quintero was our sales contact and a nicer person would be hard to find.

dquintero@airstreamnw.motosnap.com
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:04 PM   #33
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Airstream dealers will have their list-prices on their computers for different years and models. I don't know if these are available to consumers.

Also, sometimes there are reasons not to haggle to the max. When our first AS was in an accident, we had no end of difficulty dealing with the insurance adjustor about their lowball estimates to repair a trailer that we didn't think was repairable. We finally got her to agree that we could get an actual AS mechanic to cost-out our repairs, vs. dealing with the adjustor's one-size-fits-all appraiser. It took the AS mechanic a while, but our dealership itemized the (much higher) actual cost of repairs-- that required the insurance company to pay out in full, such that we could buy a new AS.

Under the circumstances, we were very happy with the quality of service we received, and knew we would be taking our AS to them for servicing, as they are our closest dealership. So of course we bought our AS from them and didn't fuss excessively over the price.

(((Airstream of Spokane))).

One other thing we learned was that the smaller used units in good nick are really in demand, so the resale value is pretty good.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:51 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I have one word for dealing with dealers: Don't.

Here in Arizona, you immediately lose roughly 10% in sales tax, plus commission and the like. Look for one from a private party; patience is your best asset.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:15 AM   #35

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
I vote we don't turn this into a discussion of the relative merits of new vs. used. That wasn't what the OP asked. And given that he's a relative newcomer with only 9 posts as I write this, he may not yet have an appreciation for how "thread drift" works.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:00 PM   #36
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:

Here in Arizona, you immediately lose roughly 10% in sales tax, plus commission and the like. Look for one from a private party; patience is your best asset.
I agree that you could probably get a better price. On the other hand, when we bought a lightly used AS from Can-Am in Ontario, Canada, it came with a one-year dealership warranty. A bunch did go wrong the first year (like the rear cabinet working loose from its screws & falling out over the bed somewhere in Wisconsin; the roof leaking; and the furnace & one electrical outlet repeatedly blowing fuses.) Everything got fixed at no cost or effort from us.

This wouldn't happen with a private purchase.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #37

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Here in Arizona, you immediately lose roughly 10% in sales tax, plus commission and the like.
You'd still have to pay taxes on a private sale in order to get the trailer registered in your name.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:34 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Tread drifting

@Protagonist

Amazing isn't it. The OP was asking about the discount on a new AS. We probably answered this, and more.

I suspect the issue on say a 2014 at this point of the year might be a discount of 30% or more... This especially if the dealer has a model which is not popular. However, getting a "good deal" may be the most expensive way to go, as I found my first AS was one I could not live with and traded up thus loosing lots of money in the process.

So, once again, decide on the unit you want, look for an 18-20% discount. Also, if ordering a new unit, make certain a lot of investigation as to various options is carried out as sometimes the option list is difficult to determine. Some items are strangely averrable only upon one's insistence.

Oh well....
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:13 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Thread drift...

Like requirements drift in engineering. It's inevitable.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:52 AM   #40

2015 30' International
Apopka , Florida
Dealer Markup

just arrived home with a new 2015 30ft Intl Serenity from dealer in Miss. MSRP 99,228. out the door price including dealer prep fee and installing hitch to new trailer 77,000. about a 23% discount. Hope this is helpful. John
CaroleB is offline   Reply With Quote