Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2017, 07:20 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
2021 27' Globetrotter
Geographicly , Unbound
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Care to let the rest of us in on this?
Overlander was making fun of my attachments....(Did I really just say that?) Anyway, I was trying out a new Gen-Y drop receiver that has since been returned for it's sagging qualities. It did allow me to open the tailgate with the TV connected, but dang, it was a pricy piece of iron. Way too expensive to keep as a backup boat anchor
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:24 PM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I had an RV dealer who I bought my Hi-Lo from. As the years went by we became friends and I used to help him out at the local RV show. He had a low overhead location (which was his home) and the ability to park his trailers on the ground since it was zoned commercial. I asked him once (this was back in the '90's) as to what should be considered a good deal when buying a trailer. He noted that 25% discount off retail gave him a fair profit and the buyer a good discount.

Fast forward to today and with the cost of overhead, I'm not sure what the margins are, but keep in mind that dealer overhead is probably the biggest factor that affects the deal you will get. I'd also dare to say that a high volume dealer who turns over their inventory quickly will probably offer better deals since they can make their profit on the volume.

On the other hand also understand that buying out of town has it's risks. While your local dealer can service your trailer under warranty, they also know that you didn't buy that trailer from them. While that shouldn't affect the quality of the service, that purchase may affect your ability to get a quick appointment when you need a pop up repair that suddenly must be addressed before a planned outing.

I shopped my Safari back in 2001 and found the best deal at a dealer close to Jackson Center. I could have saved $350 but I decided that I'd rather stay with the local dealer. I think I was rewarded when 2 years later I traded the Safari and was offered more in trade in than what I paid for the Safari 2 years earlier. I also received excellent pre sale prep and training.

Now if you have no dealership locally, then I'd shop the dealerships and then consider how the dealer does the delivery for you and their service reputation. On lowest price offer I'd consider distance to travel for warranty work and the service level of the dealership. Without good service you are screwed. Just remember the after the sale support you get from the dealer can be affected if you purchased somewhere else, especially if that dealer has to go to bat for you if warranty coverage with Airstream is questionable.
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:03 PM   #23

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Jack: Your points are well-taken, but sometimes the local dealer has a poor track record of getting their own customers in for an appointment in a timely fashion, much less actually service their trailer. It figured into my decisionmaking BEFORE the significant price difference came into play.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:36 PM   #24

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Jack: Your points are well-taken, but sometimes the local dealer has a poor track record of getting their own customers in for an appointment in a timely fashion, much less actually service their trailer. It figured into my decisionmaking BEFORE the significant price difference came into play.
Yep. I have a very good dealer with a top notch service department. I can sympathize with those who have a close dealership who fails in the service area. Obviously no reason to consider them other than pricing, and then take the trailer to someone else.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:33 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
That sounds like a pretty decent deal SilverLife, but I don't know what the AS cost them to sell.

However, I think you should tell the other dealers what you ultimately got yours for, so that they know that they're not the last stop for ASs, & same for you others commenting on your better deals!

It helps to know what the dealer's invoice price is, so that you know that your best offer, isn't still a great profit for the dealer.

I know that Consumer Reports & some other sources offer the dealer's cost or wholesale price from the factory for cars/trucks/suvs, but I don't know if there is a comparable source for trailers.

I also don't know if the AS dealers get a "hold back" payment, like some car makers give their dealers, which is basically another 10-20% of the price paid/refunded back to the dealer after the sale. Most car dealerships which advertise that they're selling their cars for "$195 over dealer invoice" etc. - are actually still getting another 10-20% profit back + the $195 or whatever, due to this faking of the true dealer cost of the vehicle. And if you paid full sticker price to one of those (usually the Big 3), then you've just given them a huge profit on your car/truck/suv!

I think it's safe to assume that the AS dealer profit off of "sticker price" is probably in the range of 30-60% - & since the OP got nearly 20% off retail, it's probably at the high end of that range. So they're still making a decent profit for what is very limited service & work on their part nowadays at most dealerships - judging by the follow-on service complaints from the other new AS buyers on here.

I agree that you must be wiling & able to walk away, to tell them that you will do so, & to do so if they won't meet your needs. Many won't even start negotiating until you "push the chair back to walk out"!

And don't fall for the ole "I'll have to check with the manager" ploy! Just say: "Fine .... let's both/all go talk to the manager right now & bang this deal out" or similar, & walk out if they say no to that, & keep walking until & unless you hear the magic words!

Don't be afraid to play hardball with them, cuz they certainly are with you!

Good Luck to Others!
Tom
///////

After 39 years as an automobile dealer I still find it amusing that so many people think they know how much a dealer gets in "holdback" from the manufacturer. Most of the time it is grossly overstated, as is the case here. The "holdback for most domestic automobile manufacturers is 3%. That's it. Not 10 to 20%. If it had been that much I wouldn't have had to work 39 years before retiring!
Also, the margin is between 5% and 10% depending on the model of vehicle. Not 30% to 60%. Smaller cars = smaller margins, larger vehicles are the higher end of the scale.
Keep on perpetuating the myth if you must, but those are the numbers.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Agree I shopped via phone and was willing to travel. So I got a great price from my local dealer and figured I got the best of both, meaning service relationship with local as well.

Man was he lousy at service!

So from now on, I still use phone to shop, am willing to travel to go get it AND get it serviced.
Marks71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:20 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Cypress , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLife View Post
Just brought home a 2017 22' Sport. I contacted 5 dealers in four states and got 5 very different offers. We purchased the unit for 19.87% below retail, and got front lower segment protectors included for free. (I admit-I drove a hard bargain). I was amazed at the differences between the 5 offers. One dealer, who is often touted as a "great" dealership here on air forums, only offered 4% off retail and challenged me to "find a better offer". I did. So my lesson and encouragement to anyone looking to buy new is; keep shopping and looking until you find the deal you can't turn down! It took us about a month of negotiations to nail down an offer we could accept. Best wishes to all who are seriously looking and don't give up!

Hmmm...sounds familiar. I sent out inquiries to about 10 dealers across the country and told them I'd not mind driving if the price was right. I only heard back from 3 of them in the fashion I requested (e-mail)...some tried to call me and discuss....I don't have time for sales pitches, so gave up on that approach after couple of calls. The most ludicrous thing I heard back was a dealer in Tennessee who emailed me the following: "I'm sure you're aware there are several Airstream dealers between you and me that can meet your needs. Good luck on your search." I called the manager of that dealership and left a message, explaining what I'd been told by one of his sales persons. No call back from either the sales person or the manager. But that's water under the bridge.

Ultimately, did the deal with a dealer in Louisiana (only 4.5 hours from my house) for the EXACT Airstream we were wanting, and got what I considered to be a very fair (relative term) price, well under the other quotes I'd received. The phone conversation lasted a whopping 10 minutes, and we were off to the races. We picked up our unit, and everything went extremely smoothly.

Would have rather bought locally (and had great on-site visits with local dealer), but they did not have the unit we wanted.
kellycox7 is offline   Reply With Quote