Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
SoCal', I don't know what you have against the 20, but your comparison is silly indeed, and your boat comparison is all wet. Sounds to me like you wish you had a 20, and having traveled about 12 months in ours, on short and long trips, I understand that.

Wives trailer, ladies trailer, all galley, what the he.. is that all about. Yes, with 30 years in the Navy, and my wife with 28 years Navy, we understand boat talk, but we don't the purpose of these references.

Doug and Cheryl
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Ok guys, knock off the trailer trashing, everyone has their favorites (everyone knows the Caravel has the best layout they ever made, but I'm not biased at all ). The discussion is about cooking in small trailers. I don't know if that makes a trailer a 'ladies trailer' - last I heard most chefs were men, and everybody's got to eat!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
West Hollywood , California
Where It's At!

Remember that Beck song?

Well, my version is this: I got 2 gas burners and a coffee pot!

Seriously, we don't cook in ours for a couple of reasons. 1) it's such a tight space, and 2) we'd rather not have any greasy film all over everything, not to mention the lingering smells. So, we bust out our trusty Coleman stove (nicknamed Old Greenie) and cook outside. It's a classic, the kind that you use white fuel with and have to pump. I love cooking on it! And cooking outside just feels right on a camping trip. We're fine about boiling water inside, so if it's raining when it's time to eat, we have no problem with a box of mac n cheese and a bottle of red!

And of course, we don't have an oven in our little Bambi, so I got a folding oven from Coleman that fits on Old Greenie. It's not big, so there's no roasting turkeys or anything like that. But for a pan of biscuits or maybe a cake or a pie, it's perfect.

Coleman - Camp Oven -
R2DTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
We do 95% of our cooking outdoors, even in the cold late fall weather. We had 2 (90% block) screens made that zip tie to our awning in 5 minutes. Add a fold up alum. table and a stainless Solarie infra red grill and we are good to go. We only do coffee inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0095.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	129952  

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
Sorry that what I said sounded like "bashing"! I was trying pointing out that different people have different needs and AS recognizes that need by making two very similarly sized TT for two different but equally demanding people. The small size of a galley can easily be overcome as R2D2 as illustrated.

I can already tell that we need to adapt to cooking outside because I have been longing for a $10 one-use charcoal grill from CW. OP any thoughts about putting LPG quick connects on your tanks and getting a grill? I really want to do this and am doing my grill research...

Again sorry my critical personality was considered "bashing". Not here to hurt feelings.
SoCalStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:24 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Auburn , Washington
You guys are funny. I am a member on a lot of different types of forums and I really think that the people on here are really nice.
We currently have a tent trailer and pretty much the inside stove for water only as well. I guess I just figured that we would cook more inside. I really like all the responses but I have to admit I think I'm almost more confused than before! There are so many good arguments one way or the other. I think that it really comes down to what we really feel best in and making the best of our choice.
I had mentioned before that I like the 23FB, but after discovering the "wheel well bump" I'm not so sure. I really can't believe something like that would be in an Airstream.
SoCalStreamr, yes a quick disconnect would be nice. It would be even better to tap into a line and route one to the side that is easy to plug into. I don't suppose there is something like that already in an AS that I don't know about is there?
nicmert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Auburn , Washington
Oh, BTW, that Dave Winnick trailer looks great!
nicmert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
I enjoy cooking in our Bambi. We have a "found" rv countertop that matches our decor fairly well that my wonderful husband cut to fit the top of the dinette bolster. I can use it for holding a toaster, a dish rack or whatever we need. It rides on the bed in transit. A cutting board with a non-slip backing sits on the stove for more help. I feel somewhat restricted with the size of the sink, but a dishpan works well. We cook outside and inside and feel that we have adapted well to the restraints. (I don't use much grease or fry bacon--too smelly and the fumes seem to stick to everything.)
I like the 19' for the camping flexibility and easy of towing. Guess the choice depends on many personal factors and camping style. Lots of ways to go. I like to think of the Bambi as the backpacker's trailer.

Much luck on the choice.

Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:38 PM   #29
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
We have a friend couple with a 19'. She is a former caterer. She cooks great meals in the 19'.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Caryl: How about a photo of the counter top.

I have a suggestion for the bacon problem. The ready cooked stuff is great. Just heat it up. I do it in the same pan while I'm cooking eggs---either inside on the stove or outside on the Coleman. No Grease Splatter.

Randy Bowman
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:38 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
We have cooked for our sons' rowing team from our 28' CCD and now our 18.5' Westy. We feed 40-60 people.

The CCD allowed more indoor prep and the oven was great. With the Westy we are more limited.

We use an outdoor griddle that we purchased at Academy Sports and a Coleman propane 2 burner stove.

The Westy is great because we usually get to park it next to the team tent. I have quick access to kitchen tools, sunscreen and the first aid kit. Plus, my own private bathroom.

Last weekend was regionals and we made breakfast biscuits, and, breakfast quesadillas, French toast and paninis. Their big treat was fruit or chocolate smoothies this trip. We boondocked in the viewing area of the 1996 olympic rowing venue at Lake Lanier, GA, right next to our team tents. How sweet is that! Gotta love the semi-stealth camping available with a B-Van.

The two things I miss from my CCD are that great round sink and the oven.

I covered the cook top with a white non-slip cutting board. Be careful and remember to remove it when you use the oven. My first RV only had a micro so I wasn't prepared the first time I used my CCD's oven and I melted mine. We had to buy a new one and they are not cheap!

I agree with the oven option. I have had the micro-convection/no oven option and the gas oven/no micro option. The gas oven is way better. Get some Foldtuk pieces and you are good to go with heating leftovers. I have a teeny-tiny micro now that I rarely use. May take it out for the storage.

Hope you are able to officially join the Airstream fold real soon.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #32

1965 17' Caravel
mill valley , California
i know this was a super old post, but do u have a photo you could post or send me so i can see how you added this counter space? thank you!
sarahhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
OK here are a couple of pictures, but use your imagination

I am attaching two photos showing the approximate placement of the countertop we used on the door size dinette cushions. What you are looking at is the countertop we used in the Bambi BUT photographed on our new 25 foot AS. So the countertop doesn't fit the 25, but it perfectly fit the Bambi.

Jerry (DH) scribed the back of the board to fit the contour of the interior wall. The front was flush with the cushion. It is a piece of scrape formica countertop that we hapened on at the RV surplus store in Elkhart IN. Lucky for us that the front corners were already rounded and ready to go. We just had to shape the back.

The second shot is looking down on the piece so you can see the cut in the back. My shoes are an extra attraction.

We carried the countertop on the bed when traveling and, when in place, was quite solid and extremely useful.

We are planning to use this piece of countertop for another project, so it is not for sale.

Hope this helps.

Caryl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0451.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	223388   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0448.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	223390