Old 09-05-2007, 09:03 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
My $.02

1. Tow weight. If you get a 34', you will need a diesel or 454 big block (or equivalent) tow vehicle. Smaller Airstreams you probably will not.

2. For a couple, a rear queen island bed is really nice. Single beds on each side make for lonely nights . You can put a board across the isle and pull the mattresses together, but it is difficult to get to the bathroom or front of the trailer.

3. Holding tanks. Older models without holding tanks may limit your camp site opportunities. Blue tote able tanks are an option, but a hassle.

4. Length. A 34' may limit your camp site opportunities. I have owned a 34' Excella and two 25' trailers. I think the 25' trailers are perfect size. Not too small or too large, towable with most pickups, will fit in most campsites, has 4 tires (or 2 for 1950's trailers) instead of 6 for a 34 footer (more expensive to replace all of them). If you want to buy or replace awnings it is much cheaper for a shorter trailer. On the other hand, if you are going to park it in one place and not tow it much, a 34' may be just the ticket.

5. Known problems with some years such as the rear bath sagging problem.

6. Air-conditioning. In the South and other areas, a trailer is pretty much un-useable without it much of the year. Make sure it works. By the way, a single unit in a 34' Airstream in the South doesn't cut it.

7. And of course, condition of the unit verses what you are paying for it. I have found that it is much better to pay more up-front when purchasing it rather than having to fix and repair or replace everything later. If spare time is a problem for you, get one that doesn't need a whole lot of work. I have a 1953 Cruiser that I have been "restoring" for the last 10 years.

That's all I can think of now. Hope it helps.
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #42

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmreilly10000
6. Air-conditioning. In the South and other areas, a trailer is pretty much un-useable without it much of the year. Make sure it works. By the way, a single unit in a 34' Airstream in the South doesn't cut it.
It doesn't cut it in the Midwest either.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:49 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I knew when I saw the first pictures of my Argosy that it was something I really wanted. I made several calls to the seller and liked what he said. I really was convienced when he told me he would return any deposit if the trailer was not as he described it. We arranged for him to repack the bearings, put all new tires on it and have it waiting for us after our 800+ mile trip to pick our "Twink" up. The 78 is a great trailer and gives me pleasure to just look at him or sit in him. Something about the trailer that is just right for you. You know when you see it. It's a good feeling to own something that's been on the road for almost 30 years and still going strong, giving pleasure and looking good.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote